PDA

View Full Version : Review: CREEPSHOW

Richard Anthony
05-20-2004, 05:55 PM
CREEPSHOW(1982)
Director: George A. Romero
Starring: Hal Holbrook, Viveca Lindfords, Adrienne Barbeau, Leslie Nielsen, Fritz Weaver, Ted Danson, Stephen King.

In 1982, Horror fans looked forward to the teaming of two of Horror's most important icons. These two Masters of Horror, Stephen King, and George A. Romero, would team up together for the first time to give fright film fans one of the best and most popular Horror anthology films of the 80's. Stephen King was well known at the time as the Master of Horror Novels, his books were best sellers among genre fans, and his novels were being turned into highly anticipated films. George A. Romero was the Master of the Zombie Horror films, his Classic Horror films, "Night Of The Living Dead", and "Dawn Of The Dead" were legendary among Horror fans, and he changed the face of Zombie Horror films forever. It was a natural pairing that the two genre Masters would team up, the only question was when, and on what film they would work on. In 1982, Horror fans were given the answer, Stephen King would write 5 short tales for "Creepshow", and George A. Romero would direct the film. The result was one of the best Horror anthology films to come along in awhile.

"Creepshow" is a wonderful blend of Stephen King's creepy terror tales, mixed with a wonderful sense of macabre humor. Stephen King was inspired by the 1950's EC Horror Comics, which would later be developed into a series of their own, called "Tales From The Crypt". The film mixes Horror and humor with great ease, and each tale has it's own thrills, and chills. The film opens with an upset Father throwing out his young son's Horror comic book. The son sits alone in his room, when suddenly the Creeper, the evil host of the Horror Comic Book, comes to the window and he is ready to spin his tales of terror. This is how "Creepshow" beings, and we are next given 5 frightening and fun tales of terror.

The first story is called "Father's Day", it is the tale of a old man who comes back from the dead, in order to get revenge on his greedy relatives. The old man has revenge on his mind, and he also wants to make sure that he gets a piece of his "Father's Day" cake! This is the macabre humor that Stephen King is noted for in his stories. This tale also has a nod to Romero's 'Dead Films', with the Father coming back for his revenge out of the grave, and Romero directs these scenes with a knowing homage to his classic Zombie films. This tale also has a great cast that includes Ed Harris, and Viveca Lindfords.

The next tale is called "The Lonesome Death Of Jordy Verril", and it's very interesting to note that this tale stars none other than Stephen King himself as Jordy Verril. The tale is about a stupid country bumpkin who discovers a metorite in his backyard and he decides to keep it for himself, and make a fortune on it by selling it. However, being the simpleton that he is, he gets some of the meteorite on himself, and soon he is covered head to toe with it. King plays the part of a dumb simpleton well, and this tale is mostly played for laughs. It is a fun little tale to watch.

The next story is one of my favorites, it's called "Something To Tide You Over", it's the perfect mix of George A. Romero's Zombie Terror, and King's dark and macabre humor. This tale stars Leslie Nielsen, in another one of his serious roles, as a man who finds out that wife is cheating on him(with "Cheers" star Ted Danson). Of course, he wants to get revenge on his cheating wife and her boyfriend, so he does what any reasonable man would do, he buries his wife and her lover up to their necks on the beach, and he waits for the tide to come in! However, things take a strange turn in this tale, as not everything goes as planned for him. This tale is my favorite in "Creepshow", it has just the right mix of terror and humor, and Leslie Nielsen is wonderful as the wronged husband who ends up taking his revenge. George A. Romero also cast Gaylen Ross from his Horror Classic, "Dawn Of The Dead", as the cheating wife in one more nod to his classic Zombie Horror films. The music in this tale is also a standout, the music is haunting and works very well for this tale.

The fourth tale in the film is called 'The Crate", and it's also one of my favorite tales of the film. Hal Holbrook stars in this tale as an unhappy husband who spends most of his time dreaming of ways to get rid of his nagging wife. When Halbrook's friend, played by Fritz Weaver, finds a large Crate, that happens to contain a man-eating beast inside it. It seems that Holbrook's problem is solved, or is it? This tale once again like the tale before it, stands out because it does a perfect job of mixing King's dark humor, and Romero's interesting directing style. The cast in this tale is also outstanding. Hal Holbrook plays the part of the long suffering husband quite well, and Horror favorite Adrienne Barbeau is great as the shrewish and annoying wife. Fritz Weaver is also is good as Hal Holbrook's friend who knows all about the evil beast in the Crate in the basement. Once again, the music in this tale works quite well, and it is a standout in this tale.

The fifth and final tale in the film is called "They're Creeping Up On You", and this tale is not for those who have a fear of cockroaches. This story is about a billionare who can't stand cockroaches, and he goes to great lengths to get rid of these annoying little pests. When there is a blackout in his buliding, he left to defend himself against an army of cockroaches, and they have no intention of letting him leave the building alive. One of the most notable things about this tale is the outstanding FX work from Horror Master, Tom Savini, he has worked with George A. Romero before on his Classic Zombie film, "Dawn Of The Dead", and he lends his great FX work and talent to this film also.

"Creepshow" is an interesting and very successful Horror film. Where some Horror Anthology films in the past may have only had one or two interesting or worthwhile stories, this film has 5 tales that are all interesting and enjoyable. The pairing of Stephen King, and George A. Romero was a success, and the film was a big hit with Horror fans at the box office, and it stands the test of time as it still holds up today. The film was followed by a sequel, "Creepshow 2", which also told a few good tales of terror. "Creepshow" is one of the best films of it's kind, and it proved that the teaming of Horror's Masters was worth the wait after all. For anyone who is looking for a night of Terror and fun, then look no further, as "Creepshow" is the Horror film for you.

moogong
05-20-2004, 08:25 PM
Great review for an awesome movie. Something To Tide You Over was always my favorite installment. I have always wished a new film would have been added to the franchise every 2 or 3 years...even direct to video would have been nice. I think it could have remained fresh and original by keeping with the flow of new directors and writers doing the installments.

dwatts
05-20-2004, 09:19 PM
--LOL-- The second review from you I've read, and I don't like either of the films (nothing wrong with the reviw itself though). Coincidence I'm sure.

This is another genre favorite that I just can't appreciate. It adds nothing to the anthology genre that pretty much died out in the late 70's. I really didn't like the framing device (though it seemed to stay true to the source) and some of the casting (Ted Danson sucks, sorry).

I have the DVD, but thankfully it cost only $6.

--Creepshow" is an interesting and very successful Horror film.--

Actually, I think it's unsuccesful as a "horror film". Maybe as a comedy with some horror elements, a comedy-horror, but not as "horror". Basically, all the stories are played for laughs, and with the liks of Leslie Neilsen in the cast, the chances of "horror" were slim, imo.

Mok
05-20-2004, 09:47 PM
"Actually, I think it's unsuccesful as a "horror film". Maybe as a comedy with some horror elements, a comedy-horror, but not as "horror". Basically, all the stories are played for laughs, and with the liks of Leslie Neilsen in the cast, the chances of "horror" were slim, imo"

I know what you mean, it's more of a family horror movie, but none the less I think it's solid. As for Ted Danson, I too have a hang up with him - he will always be Sam Malone to me, so I can't take him seriously. However he did a real good job in Creepshow, and I think his familiarity made his demise more disturbing.

John Gargo
05-20-2004, 10:41 PM
I can't think of a better anthology horror film, save for Mario Bava's brilliant BLACK SABBATH. "Father's Day" was always my favorite segment, but they're all pretty entertaining. It's the black comedy that makes this work so well for me... Too bad the sequel is so mediocre.

dwatts
05-20-2004, 11:10 PM
--I can't think of a better anthology horror film--

Oh, I'd take just about any Amicus over this - and do :)

Lyle Horowitz
05-21-2004, 08:26 PM
--I can't think of a better anthology horror film--

Oh, I'd take just about any Amicus over this - and do :)
I don't think John has EXPERIENCED Amicus yet, dad. :D

For the record, the best anthology films are Dr. Terror's House of Horrors and Black Sabbath. :)

dwatts
05-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Not experience them? But they were only released last...... what? It's been HOW LONG!?!?!?!?! Damn sobering up! :(

Andrew
05-21-2004, 11:43 PM
This was one I really didn't like initially, but after buying it for the low price I found I enjoyed it quite a bit. The last episode has always been my favorite though.

Luna
05-22-2004, 02:27 AM
"Father's Day" was always my favorite segment, but they're all pretty entertaining. It's the black comedy that makes this work so well for me...I want my caaaake!

Yeah, that one and "Something To Tide You Over" are my favorite two segments. The roach one never fails to disgust me though. Just the thought of that one makes me want to stomp my feet wildly to kill anything that might be lurking and waiting to eat me. :nervous:

hell ya!
05-22-2004, 03:16 AM
My favorite episode is The Crate, I love that one! I'm a big fan of this film, all the stories are very fun and enjoyable. Also the cast is really good too. It's definitely up there in my favorite anthologies.

Nemesis
05-22-2004, 03:26 AM
I just won this title on ebay so should have it in my grubby hands early next week, look forward to it :banana:

Cujo108
05-22-2004, 10:12 AM
Never have been too big on this one. Very overrated, as the stories really drag at times and can also be pretty uninvolving. The only one I love through and through is the roach segment. I love anthology films, but despite watching this every once in a while, I can't say I'm too fond of it, and definitely think its one of the weaker films of the subgenre.

Mark Relford
05-22-2004, 10:05 PM
I still love the first Creepshow. It's an affectionate tribute to the EC horror comics. I love the garish color scheme in this movie. They did a terrific job making this look like a live action comic book. I have no problems with the comedy and horror. After all, they were prominent in the inspired source material. The sequel was a mixed bag.

Hellbilly
05-22-2004, 10:08 PM
I still love the first Creepshow. It's an affectionate tribute to the EC horror comics. I love the garish color scheme in this movie. They did a terrific job making this look like a live action comic book. I have no problems with the comedy and horror. After all, they were prominent in the inspired source material. The sequel was a mixed bag.What Mark said :)

Dunwich
05-22-2004, 11:53 PM
one really good movie that I've been watching a lot. and I don't get tired of it ;)

Livingdead102
05-30-2004, 10:35 AM
A pretty good review, but I think you might have given away too much of the punchline in your sections about the first two (maybe three?) stories. Other than that, good stuff.

This is one of those movies I watched countless times when I was younger and I still love it. My favorite as a kid was "Father's Day", but now I like "Something to Tide You Over" the best. I think the performances by both Ted Danson and Leslie Nielsen were superb, and if it weren't for this film I could NEVER picture Nielsen as a bad guy. Definitely worth the $7 at Wal-Mart.

Revoltor
05-31-2004, 07:55 AM
This one took a while to grow on me. It's definitely overrated (most likely because of the Romero/Savini combo). Stephen King can write some awesome short stories but I guess he saved them for another anthology book (at least we get the Raft in part 2).

The great thing about DVD is the fact that I can just skip to the stories I like or just watch one or two of them if i'm in the mood.

Anyway, Creepshow does indeed do a good job emulating the old EC comics. For that it deserves a spot in my collection.

BloodMan
06-04-2004, 10:35 PM
The only story that I don't care for in this flick is the Jordy Verrill one. The others are all pretty damn cool though. Good music too.

zombee
06-19-2004, 03:00 AM
The only story that I don't care for in this flick is the Jordy Verrill one. The others are all pretty damn cool though. Good music too.

I also don't like this one that much. King gives a good performance, but I didn't feel that this one had much of a story. And from the title you already know what will happen, so it's basically just leading up to an expected ending.