PDA

View Full Version : The Fog

Richard Anthony
05-20-2004, 05:03 PM
THE FOG(1980)
Director: John Carpenter
Starring: Adrienne Barbeau, Hal Holbrook, Jamie Lee Curtis, Janet Leigh, Tom Atkins, John Houseman, and Nancy Loomis.

John Carpenter followed up his Horror Classic, "Halloween", with this creepy supernatural ghost story. Reuniting with his leading lady from "Halloween", the Scream Queen, Jamie Lee Curtis, and also putting together a wonderful cast, Carpenter gave Horror fans one more classic and chilling film that pulls you in from the start and doesn't let go.

An evil Fog engulfs a coastal California town, as the Fog draws closer, the town and it's people are haunted by the ghosts of the past. As the town gears up for a weekend of fun and celebration, little do they know that a sceret is about to surface, a secret that many people thought was long forgotten, but it's has now come back to haunt them. This is no ordinary Fog, this Fog has a purpose and is being driven by revenge. The town of Antonio Bay has some long buried secrets of it's own, and the ghosts of this town's past come back to seek revenge on the townspeople. The Mayor of the town decides to go ahead with the weekend celebration, and the ghosts of the past decide to come back to give the townspeople a history lesson of their own.

Horror Master John Carpenter delivers some great scares throughout the film, he creates a haunting mood from the start of the film, and he doesn't let up at all. One of the wonderful things that I love about John Carpenter's films is the always terrific and haunting music scores that Carpenter adds to his films. "The Fog" has a chilling music score, and it's ranks as one of Carpenter's best, it's a standout and it enhances the film as well.

"The Fog" has a wonderful cast, that includes Jamie Lee Curtis in her second Horror film, and the always great character actor, Hal Holbrook as the town's priest. Adrienne Barbeau, who is a frequent Horror leading lady for both John Carpenter and Horror Master Wes Craven, is very good in the lead role. Barbeau stars as the town's DJ who is trying to warn everyone of the coming Fog's danger. Tom Atkins, and Nancy Loomis are also in fine form.

Also, in an interesting bit of casting, John Carpenter cast Jamie Lee Curtis alongside her mother, Janet Leigh. Janet Leigh, of course, is one of Horror film's most famous leading ladies, after all, she was the screaming 'Shower Victim', in Alfred Hitchcock's classic, "Psycho". To have two of Horror's most popular Scream Queen's together in the same Horror film was a brilliant stroke of casting, and a nod from Carpenter as he showcased one of the Horror film's first Scream Queen's, Janet Leigh, with the then rising Scream Queen, her own daughter, Jamie Lee Curtis.

John Carpenter is one of the Horror genre's best directors, and throughout his years in Filmmaking, he has made many classic Horror films. "The Fog" stands out among Carpenter's best films, and it is a classic and haunting Horror film.

dwatts
05-20-2004, 07:26 PM
I fully understand that I am in the minority (by a long shot), but this one just does nothing for me. What a wasted opportunity. The "climax" breaks me out in giggles every time, it's just so pathetic. Pirates, pirates!

There are a couple of good scenes, but it's just going nowhere for me, and remains one of Carpenters low points.

-- the always terrific and haunting music scores that Carpenter adds to his films.--

Hm, how about Ghosts of Mars? That was all around bad, imo.

moogong
05-20-2004, 07:26 PM
Cool review!

The Fog is one of my favorite Halloween movies...it never really gets old. Ghostly revenge stories rock.

Ash28M
05-20-2004, 09:04 PM
I would say i enjoyed the film especially for it's great music and atmosphere. I also kinda know where dwatts is comming from even though i thought it was pretty good. It could have been so much better, the film reeked of under achievement. On the DVD extras it appeared that Carpenter wasn't totally fulfilled with the film either.

John Gargo
05-20-2004, 09:45 PM
A childhood favorite of mine, and probably the closest Carpenter has ever come to making an "old fashioned scare pic." While the film has its share of visceral shocks, this one is really all about the atmosphere, and there's plenty of it. Although HALLOWEEN is clearly the superior film here, I've always preferred THE FOG's evocative and creepy score... Probably the best music that Carpenter ever wrote.

killit
05-23-2004, 11:50 AM
I LOVE this film. I saw it for the 1st time ever on that dvd and WAS NOT disapointed. Good review

Andrew
05-23-2004, 08:56 PM
Yeah I love this one too. I remember looking for the video forever and eventually MGM released it as one of their "Movie Time" tapes. Some great atmosphere and classic music. After revisiting it on DVD I didn't completely love it, but it's still up there as a favorite.

Severn
07-26-2004, 07:48 PM
I have good drive-in memories of this movie. I jumped at the chance to by it when it came out. Adrienne Barbeau is a pretty under appreciated actress when it comes to heroic leading ladies. Before Sigourney Weaver and her character of Ripley came on board you had Adrienne Barbeau kicking ass and being tough in horror/action movies.

Lets forget about Swamp Thing tho'. The only good thing about that was Adrienne's cleavage.

studio1
07-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Nice Review + One of my favourite Carpenter Movies

SaviniFan
07-26-2004, 11:27 PM
Lets forget about Swamp Thing tho'. The only good thing about that was Adrienne's cleavage.

If you were lucky enough to get the MGM region 1 DVD with the "PG" on the cover, you would have seen alot more than cleavage as it was recalled after it was brought to thier attention that it was the European cut, with alot more Adrienne. :)

Anthropophagus
07-27-2004, 02:15 AM
If you were lucky enough to get the MGM region 1 DVD with the "PG" on the cover, you would have seen alot more than cleavage as it was recalled after it was brought to thier attention that it was the European cut, with alot more Adrienne. :)

I have the old VHS version of this and no doubt Adrienne Barbeau should have won an award for Breast Actress.

Tuzotonic
07-27-2004, 04:56 AM
I have never seen the uncut version of Swamp Thing but you can tell that she has some very special talent hidden under her shirt. As far as the Fog goes, I like it for the most part but I always feel let down by the ending. There just wasn't enough there for me. I loved the build up and the tension the movie creates but it falls a little short of it's intended mark. I agree though, there are some great moment in the movie. I really enjoyed the scenes inside the lighthouse. It's certainly an original movie and think it is one of Carpenter's better films.

Good review. I liked it.

wd40cloud
08-04-2004, 05:02 PM
I just picked the DVD up today. I've never seen it before but it's a John Carpenter movie so I will probably love it.

PMcG_6
08-04-2004, 05:33 PM
Carpenter is one of my fave movie makers. I have most of his movies. (I'm not counting Vampires and Ghosts of Mars, ecchh...) I think The Fog is a great movie. IMO, it's on of Adrienne's better roles. She's actually somewhat attractive in it also.

Bobbywoodhogan
08-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Great film I loved it Carpenters score makes this film seem like a masterpiece great entertainment.

Morg
08-04-2004, 08:18 PM
I love "The Fog" don't get me wrong, but after veiwing it I always feel as if it should have been creepier, scarier or something. Not up to par with "Halloween" but still good.

Cameraman
08-12-2004, 07:30 PM
A good movie from Carpenter from a time period where he could do no wrong.
(Before Ghosts of Mars)

zombi3
08-13-2004, 02:16 AM
I fully understand that I am in the minority (by a long shot), but this one just does nothing for me. Whata wated opportunity. The "climax" breaks me out in giggles every time, it's just so pathetic. Pirates, pirates!

There are a couple of good scenes, but it's just going nowhere for me, and remains one of Carpenters low points.

I agree, I found the movie to be quite boring. It just never seemed to get off the ground.