PDA

View Full Version : Laserdisc Questions

Lone Wolf
05-21-2004, 07:56 AM
I was thinking of taking the dive into laserdisc, and have a few questions.

1. Is it even worth it?
2. What player would you recommend to someone just starting out? Is there any I should avoid at all costs?
3. What are some must have lasers? What are some to avoid?
4. Are there any other issues besides laser rot I should be aware of?
5. Anything else I should know?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Paff
05-21-2004, 08:36 AM
>1. Is it even worth it?

Really hard to say at this point. Within the last year or two, a LOT of Laserdisc-exclusives finally came out on DVD (or at least have been announced). I'm talking Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Thing (1951), Pulp Fiction (w/extras), Halloween (w/commentary), etc.

Right now, about the only thing LD has going for it is great cover art, and superior sound (especially with DTS). But while the LD sound is definitely better than DVD, I'd say it's only slightly better; you have to be a real audiophile to care about the difference.

>2. What player would you recommend to someone just starting out? Is there any I should avoid at all costs?

Buy something by Pioneer only. You want a used player. Since none have been made in the last several years, if you buy a never-opened one, it's been sitting unused for a long time. Belts dry out, grease dries up, etc.

As for model numbers, you want CLD-Dxxx, or an Elite. The second "D" is VERY important, as it means "Double sided". This means that at the side flip (1 hour in), the player automatically flips the disc. Otherwise, you have to get up, remove the disc, and flip it yourself. (Actually, the player technically doesn't flip the disc, it moves the laser to read the other side)

3. What are some must have lasers? What are some to avoid?

For horror, you need the Texas Chainsaw Massacre by Elite, as it has digital line removal that even the DVD doesn't have. Cover is gorgeous too.
Still might wanna get Star Wars, as the original theatrical releases are available, not just the Special Editions.
Anything with DTS will amaze you, but you have to pay a little more for 'em.
Suspiria is great, as it has the original sound mix, the new DVD has normalized some levels, and some feel it takes away from the impact.

>4. Are there any other issues besides laser rot I should be aware of?

Just that some Lasers have a picture quality on par with VHS, as often it was the same master used for both releases. It was only later on that studios started doing remastering and special editions.

Again, hard to say if it's worth getting into at this point. I still buy and watch Lasers, but I have enough invested into it to make it worthwhile. Not sure I'd jump into it now if I was committed to DVD.

Werner Von Wallenrod
05-22-2004, 12:21 AM
(Unfortunately,) there are still plenty of laserdisc exclusives... Whether they're far superior versions (Criterion lasers of Baron Munchausen or Crash, The Frighteners signature series, etc) or just films still not available on DVD (Metropolitan, Four Seasons, Kicking & Screaming, etc etc etc).
Frankly, at this point, I would like DVD to invalidate my laserdisc collection by releasing it all on DVD, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Paff
05-22-2004, 12:55 AM
Frankly, at this point, I would like DVD to invalidate my laserdisc collection by releasing it all on DVD, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I gotta say, 2003-4 was a bad time for having several of my Lasers get invalidated.

There's the aforementioned Star Wars and Indiana Jones, but in that time, the following previously laser-exclusives also came out on DVD:
The Thing (51)
Wait Until Dark
The Haunting (63)
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
Curdled
Kiki's Delivery Service
Lupin III: The Fuma Conspiracy

It's only a matter of time before everything comes out on DVD. Some may be further off, but the amount of LD-exclusives is going to approach zero. Sure, there will still be a few here and there, and some Lasers will have special features that aren't out on DVD. But that number will be so small, it's kind of hard to justify getting into the format at this time.

Like I said, I have enough invested in it, that it's still an option for me. I just don't know if I'd recommend getting into it at this point if you're already deep into DVD.

Alan Smithee
05-23-2004, 02:06 AM
I gotta say, 2003-4 was a bad time for having several of my Lasers get invalidated.

There's the aforementioned Star Wars and Indiana Jones, but in that time, the following previously laser-exclusives also came out on DVD:
The Thing (51)
Wait Until Dark
The Haunting (63)
Curdled
Kiki's Delivery Service

It's only a matter of time before everything comes out on DVD. Some may be further off, but the amount of LD-exclusives is going to approach zero. Sure, there will still be a few here and there, and some Lasers will have special features that aren't out on DVD. But that number will be so small, it's kind of hard to justify getting into the format at this time.

Like I said, I have enough invested in it, that it's still an option for me. I just don't know if I'd recommend getting into it at this point if you're already deep into DVD.

Well apparently the original versions of the Star Wars films will always be exclusive.

Jason25
05-24-2004, 07:27 AM

The Thing (51)
Wait Until Dark
The Haunting (63)
Curdled
Kiki's Delivery Service

Paff makes excellent points here and I agree completely.

bigdaddyhorse
05-25-2004, 06:39 PM
If you have some extra money laying around it's worth getting into.
The LD exclusives are dropping like flies, buit many remain (at least in my collection).
Fallen last year from my stack of lasers
Boyz in the Hood
Halloween (comm. only, the Siskel and Ebert review and text pages about the genre remain ex.)
Fear of a Black Hat
Leatherface (2 commentaries, both better than the dvd one. DVD has better doc and deleted scenes, but the comm. with Greg Nicataro is great on the laser)
Howling (one deleted scene is cut on dvd, and nudity is missing :( , plus stop-motion werewolves didn't make it either)

Still standing proud
Menace II Society criterion
Dead Presidents cri.
Frighteners boxset (the 4-hour doc will always stand! Awesome set, but hard to get and pricey)
Sling Blade cri.
Plus other criterions like The Killer and This is Spinal Tap are still way cheaper than the dvd versions. Sid and Nancy has more stuff than the dvd, esp. the text/photos of the real Sex Pistols US tour.
As for just movie exclusives
Cellar Dwellar
Dr. Mordrid

If you really love movies and extras (esp. commentary), laser migth be a good investment. I agree with everything Paff said about players. Even some lasers with just normal digital sound (not 5.1 or DTS) still sound better than dvds with 2.0 soundtracks. Fear of a Black Hat is prime example of this, the dvd souns like shit and has the same video transfer, not even anamorphic. The dvd does have the extras though while laser is only the movie.

Lone Wolf
06-07-2004, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. I did end up buying a Pioneer CLD-D604 Laserdisc player. I found out that the gatefold covers on some of these are indeed awesome. I know it may not be worth it in the long run, but I see I can still have some fun with this format. Does anyone have any suggestions on were to buy Lasers at? Thanks for your help.

Paff
06-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I did end up buying a Pioneer CLD-D604 Laserdisc player. I found out that the gatefold covers on some of these are indeed awesome. I know it may not be worth it in the long run, but I see I can still have some fun with this format. Does anyone have any suggestions on were to buy Lasers at? Thanks for your help.

That's a pretty solid player. Ya got DTS capability (with the optical output), and Dolby Digital 5.1, but you'd need something called an "RF Demodulator" to get the Dolby Digital.

There are still some places to buy Lasers. E-Bay is your most likely option. I'd suggest picking up a couple of DTS discs there. Big Emma (http://www.bigemma.com) still carries a lot of discs too. And Ross' Exchange (http://www.rossexchange.com) is still active in buying and selling LDs.

wizzer
06-07-2004, 06:12 PM
i did this a few months back. i'm also buying a laserdisc today. Balto :glasses:

the dvd is fullscreen and what i believe to be pan and scan. i just saw the LD and it's letterboxed. my player is an older model though- cld 1070.

paff- how do i access the commentary tracks on LD's like leatherface? i know they are on there but i don't know how to make my player play them.

Admin
06-07-2004, 06:15 PM
Wizz - I don't know the button offhand, but there's one to change the sound tracks on your LD player. That is how you do it. It switches it from Analog L to Analog R - also w/digital too.

The 604 is a good player. I have that same one, or the 606; I forget which, but they are similar.

wizzer
06-07-2004, 06:36 PM
there is no button like that on my player :( if it's on the remote, then i'm shit out of luck because i have no remote.

Dave
06-07-2004, 06:40 PM
Yah, I've never seen anything like that on the player. It's always on the remote.

bigdaddyhorse
06-07-2004, 07:07 PM
there is no button like that on my player :( if it's on the remote, then i'm shit out of luck because i have no remote.

Damn, that sucks. I'd say to get another player with a remote. I'm gonna PM a dude's adress who sold me my last laserdisc player and might be able to help you with a working remote. I'm alos gonna try to find this place that sells replacement remotes.

wizzer
06-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Damn, that sucks. I'd say to get another player with a remote. I'm gonna PM a dude's adress who sold me my last laserdisc player and might be able to help you with a working remote. I'm alos gonna try to find this place that sells replacement remotes.

right on :) there's no way i'm going to buy another player though.

X-human
06-07-2004, 07:21 PM
My LD player doesn't have a remote either. I came accross one looking around the internet and the cheapiest I could find it was $79.99! But it was usually about $108! I'll have to find a universal remote because that's more than I paid for the LD player itself!

Paff
06-07-2004, 07:45 PM
The thing with Universal Remotes is that very few of them (if any) have Laserdisc-exclusive functions, such as the L/R, Analog/Digital, etc.

I think there's a place called replacementremotes.com.
You could also consider E-bay, and just get any Pioneer Remote (as long as it has the functions you need)

NIN
10-13-2006, 02:48 AM

I know this is a old thread but that is just what makes it little funny. Still today, 2006, there are hundred after hundred movies not released on DVD anywhere, that are released on LD. I'm doing a list of LD's not on DVD and I would guess that it's over 1000 movies on LD that are not on DVD yet. I would guess a couple of 1000 music videos/consert disc only on LD and rather much LD's that have better PQ, AQ or just different version/extras.

So, as with VHS, LD can still be a good investment for people that like horror, b-action, trash and odd movies.

buck135
04-21-2013, 11:42 PM
Hey guys I have a couple of questions. First off, my first LD player (Pioneer CLD-D503) has a few options for audio. Since I'm primarily using it to rip LD's to DVD, I'm unclear which setting I should use. There is an Audio button on the player and on the remote which display 1/L 2R or 1L or 2R. I'm assuming that the option 1/L 1R will be the best option, but I need clarification.

Secondly, I just purchased a Dawn of the Dead LD from Image/HBO Video (the one with the three-headed picture of zombified Roger on the cover). It contains an exclusive interview with George Romero which I cannot find. It's not on any of the three sides (the B side of disc two has no data on it, I checked). I contacted the seller on eBay and he told me that certain players will and will not play additional content. I have had no issues with bonus content on any of the other LD's I own. Any advice guys?

Paff
04-22-2013, 01:47 AM
Audio on Laserdiscs is all confusing. There's Digital, Analog, and that L/R thing you've noticed. Even stranger, the Digital is not digital like we know now, where some kind of decoder is needed.

As for Dawn of the Dead, I looked it up on lddb.com, and it said this:
"Package states interview with George Romero, but disc has none"

booper71
04-22-2013, 01:54 AM
I had one called the Pioneer Laseractive, it was a top notch LD player that also had Sega Genesis functionality.

buck135
04-22-2013, 02:15 AM
Audio on Laserdiscs is all confusing. There's Digital, Analog, and that L/R thing you've noticed. Even stranger, the Digital is not digital like we know now, where some kind of decoder is needed.

As for Dawn of the Dead, I looked it up on lddb.com, and it said this:
"Package states interview with George Romero, but disc has none"

As always, thanks Paff. I'll keep toying with the audio to see if there's a difference.

startide
04-22-2013, 05:08 AM
As always, thanks Paff.

Ouch!! Hope you didn't outlay that much buck! :(

JimSmith
04-22-2013, 01:09 PM
I have a question. Is there any all-region laserdisc players out there? And if there is which one would pay both sides of a laserdisc without having to flip it over? I've for some time now wanted to buy a laserdisc player and buy the japanese laserdisc set of The Encyclopedia of Horror (Stephen King's This is Horror).

buck135
04-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Ouch!! Hope you didn't outlay that much buck! :(

Paff has answered every laserdisc question I have ever had. He is the reason I own the player that I do.

buck135
04-22-2013, 05:30 PM
I have a question. Is there any all-region laserdisc players out there? And if there is which one would pay both sides of a laserdisc without having to flip it over? I've for some time now wanted to buy a laserdisc player and buy the japanese laserdisc set of The Encyclopedia of Horror (Stephen King's This is Horror).

I will quote Paff's answer to my questions which were quite similar:

"OK, first of all, one great thing about LD: NO REGIONS!! If you have a laserdisc, and a laserdisc player, it will play. Doesn't matter where the disc came from.

Now, if you're only going to be ripping the content of the LD, you have a little more leeway. You can buy a single sided player (when the disc gets to the end, 30 minutes for a "CAV" disc, 60 for a "CLV" disc, you have to manually turn the disc over. AKA, "flippers". All LDs are flippers if you have a single sided player.

If you're going to be integrating it into your home theater and actually watching the movies, you'll want a double sided player. This one automatically plays the other side of the disc, and you'll only have to get up if there's a disc change.

Stick with Pioneer players. Look for a CLD-Dxxx, or CLD-Sxxx if you only want a single sided player ("D" and "S" are for Double or Single sided player). The "xxx" will be a 3 digit number. Higher the number, better the player. I use a CLD-D704, one of the best players made short of the "Elite" line (which is a whole new ball game, but a lot more $$$). A 502, or 406 will suit you fine.

Finally, MAKE SURE IT HAS A REMOTE! If you're going to access commentary tracks, you have to change from the digital soundtrack to the analog, and that's a function specific to LD. You won't find it on any universal remotes.

If you find some players that interest you, post 'em here and we can comment on 'em."

JimSmith
04-22-2013, 06:09 PM
I will quote Paff's answer to my questions which were quite similar:

"OK, first of all, one great thing about LD: NO REGIONS!! If you have a laserdisc, and a laserdisc player, it will play. Doesn't matter where the disc came from.

Now, if you're only going to be ripping the content of the LD, you have a little more leeway. You can buy a single sided player (when the disc gets to the end, 30 minutes for a "CAV" disc, 60 for a "CLV" disc, you have to manually turn the disc over. AKA, "flippers". All LDs are flippers if you have a single sided player.

If you're going to be integrating it into your home theater and actually watching the movies, you'll want a double sided player. This one automatically plays the other side of the disc, and you'll only have to get up if there's a disc change.

Stick with Pioneer players. Look for a CLD-Dxxx, or CLD-Sxxx if you only want a single sided player ("D" and "S" are for Double or Single sided player). The "xxx" will be a 3 digit number. Higher the number, better the player. I use a CLD-D704, one of the best players made short of the "Elite" line (which is a whole new ball game, but a lot more $$$). A 502, or 406 will suit you fine.

Finally, MAKE SURE IT HAS A REMOTE! If you're going to access commentary tracks, you have to change from the digital soundtrack to the analog, and that's a function specific to LD. You won't find it on any universal remotes.

If you find some players that interest you, post 'em here and we can comment on 'em."
Would you happen to have the japanese laserdisc of The Encyclopedia of Horror? That would be the first thing I would buy on laserdisc! :-) Great documentary with great artwork! :-)

buck135
04-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Would you happen to have the japanese laserdisc of The Encyclopedia of Horror? That would be the first thing I would buy on laserdisc! :-) Great documentary with great artwork! :-)

I don't have that LD, but I do have the Japanese Dawn of the Dead Perfect Collection. It works like a dream.

http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/00189/BELL-745/Zombie---Dawn-of-the-Dead:-Perfect-Collection-(1978)

JimSmith
04-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Do you know of any horror dvd-r bootleg sites? Maybe I can find The Encyclopedia of Horror on there.

f.ramses
04-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Although there were no regions for LD, one could still be limited to what they could play because different countries use different signals. There were NTSC, PAL, and, I think, SECAM LDs just like we had with VHS tapes and most players were not multi-system.

buck135
04-22-2013, 07:35 PM
Do you know of any horror dvd-r bootleg sites? Maybe I can find The Encyclopedia of Horror on there.

No sorry. I'm making my own DVR's from LD's that I own for my own enjoyment.

Paff
04-22-2013, 08:31 PM
I thought Dave had a copy of Encyclopedia of Horror, as he reviewed it here on the site. And actually, it may not even be "bootlegging" to get a DVD-R of it. Don't quote me, but there's this thing called the "Berne Act" where if a movie is not released in the US, it's essentially considered public domain and free to be copied. I'm probably murdering the legal definition of the Berne Act there, but it's something like that. I think that's one of the reasons (there are others) they created region coding in the first place. So that even if a movie fell under the Berne Act, people couldn't just get import copies. I dunno, I'm kinda guessing at that.

I do remember that back in the early 90s, there were a lot of people making tapes of laserdiscs of foreign movies. That was where you got your Argento, Fulci, and Hong Kong flicks. The reputable sites would remove titles from their catalogs the moment an official US release came out.

Which by the way, brings up another bonus of laserdisc: No Macrovision or HDCP in place to prevent copying! Not that I advocate bootlegging discs, but making your own copies onto DVD for personal use is perfectly legal.

zbinks
04-22-2013, 10:56 PM
I thought Dave had a copy of Encyclopedia of Horror, as he reviewed it here on the site. And actually, it may not even be "bootlegging" to get a DVD-R of it. Don't quote me, but there's this thing called the "Berne Act" where if a movie is not released in the US, it's essentially considered public domain and free to be copied. I'm probably murdering the legal definition of the Berne Act there, but it's something like that. I think that's one of the reasons (there are others) they created region coding in the first place. So that even if a movie fell under the Berne Act, people couldn't just get import copies. I dunno, I'm kinda guessing at that.

I do remember that back in the early 90s, there were a lot of people making tapes of laserdiscs of foreign movies. That was where you got your Argento, Fulci, and Hong Kong flicks. The reputable sites would remove titles from their catalogs the moment an official US release came out.

Which by the way, brings up another bonus of laserdisc: No Macrovision or HDCP in place to prevent copying! Not that I advocate bootlegging discs, but making your own copies onto DVD for personal use is perfectly legal.

I think the Berne Convention Implementation Act of 1988 (http://old.cni.org/docs/infopols/US.Berne.Convention.html) was actually intended to have the opposite effect. Before the act was implemented the US only offered full copyright protection to US citizens and residents.

startide
04-23-2013, 01:37 AM
Paff has answered every laserdisc question I have ever had. He is the reason I own the player that I do.

No, I was referring to the LD you bought for the non existent Romero interview!!

buck135
04-23-2013, 02:53 AM
No, I was referring to the LD you bought for the non existent Romero interview!!

My apologies. This semester is ending and my brain is mush. I paid $25 for it. It's fine, I already made a DVD copy of it. I also own four other versions of Dawn on laserdisc. All transfered to DVD. I need help. :lol:

startide
04-23-2013, 06:11 AM
My apologies. This semester is ending and my brain is mush. I paid $25 for it. It's fine, I already made a DVD copy of it. I also own four other versions of Dawn on laserdisc. All transfered to DVD. I need help. :lol:

LOL indeed. Do you wanna see my Prom Night collection? I actually don't know how many copies I have of that film, all up. DVD, LD, VHS, beta... I'm really bummed it was never released on CED. Can you believe that? (And laserdisc never even took off here! I have a vintage video magazine with reviews of the format. I had no idea it was here that early! That shows you how popular it was! :D)

buck135
04-23-2013, 07:10 AM
LOL indeed. Do you wanna see my Prom Night collection? I actually don't know how many copies I have of that film, all up. DVD, LD, VHS, beta... I'm really bummed it was never released on CED. Can you believe that? (And laserdisc never even took off here! I have a vintage video magazine with reviews of the format. I had no idea it was here that early! That shows you how popular it was! :D)

That's cool, I'm the same way with Romero's initial zombie trilogy. I have ten different copies of NOTLD on blu-ray (not counting the TT '90 remake), four different versions of Dawn and of Day on blu-ray. Also, countless versions of all three on DVD. It's nice to have movies that we just cannot get enough of. :)

Paff
04-23-2013, 08:12 AM
That's cool, I'm the same way with Romero's initial zombie trilogy. I have ten different copies of NOTLD on blu-ray (not counting the TT '90 remake), four different versions of Dawn and of Day on blu-ray. Also, countless versions of all three on DVD. It's nice to have movies that we just cannot get enough of. :)

I probably pimped this in the other thread, but did you get the Elite Special Edition of Night of the Living Dead? The two-disc set, with Ben on the cover. That disc has a ridiculous stills gallery (many in full color) not on any DVD.

buck135
04-23-2013, 06:34 PM
I probably pimped this in the other thread, but did you get the Elite Special Edition of Night of the Living Dead? The two-disc set, with Ben on the cover. That disc has a ridiculous stills gallery (many in full color) not on any DVD.

Not yet, but I know the one you mean. Thanks for the heads up.

buck135
04-24-2013, 05:19 AM

Bought for $16. Thanks again Paff!

It's me, Billy
05-12-2013, 10:07 AM
I've noticed that Criterion released Halloween on LaserDisc twice, first in 1994 (spine # 247) and again in 1996 (#310). What's the differences?

Paff
05-13-2013, 02:08 AM
I've noticed that Criterion released Halloween on LaserDisc twice, first in 1994 (spine # 247) and again in 1996 (#310). What's the differences?

One version is loaded with extras and was in CAV, the other was movie-only and CLV. Don't know which is which but I can check as I do have the one with the extras.

Wanna hear something funny? The extras-loaded version listed at $100, the bare bones edition was $50. Try charging $50 for a movie-only version nowadays.

Buck: What did you think of that Night of the Living Dead disc?

buck135
05-13-2013, 02:16 AM
Buck: What did you think of that Night of the Living Dead disc?

It's awesome, thank you! The photos are fantastic. I started capturing it in order to transfer it to DVD. Thank you very much. I have five different versions of Dawn of the Dead and the Elite NOTLD. If there are any others from the the original trilogy that you recommend, please let me know.

fattyjoe37
02-14-2014, 04:39 PM
Yesterday afternoon Scarecrow Video in Seattle posted on their Facebook & Twitter feeds that they had found a few Laserdisc players in their back room and had them for sale for very cheap prices. So right after work I headed over there and bought a Pioneer CLD-1070 (with remote and all cables) for $25. I then went to a used movie/music store in the area called Silver Platters and grabbed a copy of the E.T. Signature Edition LD set. I had seen it in the store years ago and just lucked out that they still had it. I'm currently watching the old 1996 documentary found on the set. It was great to finally see the alternate ending and Harrison Ford scene in full.

I'm interested in building my LD collection, with a focus being on widescreen films only available in fullscreen on VHS or DVD and sets with exclusive bonus features. Off the top of my head I know I want to grab Elite's Nightmare on Elm Street set and Criterion's edition of King Kong '33, but am unsure of other sets which would fit into what I am looking for. I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but do you LD collectors have any recommendations for me?

Dave
02-14-2014, 06:38 PM
Join lddb.com and the Laserdisc Forever newsgroup. Lddb.com message forum has a thread about lasers or extras that aren't on DVD.

Most are on DVD or blu now but I still enjoy collecting. I swear the format is going through a resurgence right now. I dont think we will ever see new discs pressed due to cost, but who knows.

I just got the Phantasm box.....autographed limited edition. Yum!

fattyjoe37
02-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Join lddb.com and the Laserdisc Forever newsgroup. Lddb.com message forum has a thread about lasers or extras that aren't on DVD.

Most are on DVD or blu now but I still enjoy collecting. I swear the format is going through a resurgence right now. I dont think we will ever see new discs pressed due to cost, but who knows.

I just got the Phantasm box.....autographed limited edition. Yum!

Thanks Dave. I just got signed up on Lbbd.com and will dig through the forums this weekend. I'm happy to live in an area with many Half Price Books and indie video stores that still carry LDs.

Dave
02-14-2014, 08:42 PM
Sorry I meant laserdisc forever Facebook page.

Paff
02-14-2014, 09:55 PM
I'm interested in building my LD collection, with a focus being on widescreen films only available in fullscreen on VHS or DVD and sets with exclusive bonus features.

I would think that's a pretty small number.

If I was going to give advice to a new LD collector who is a horror fan, I'd say look for anything from Elite Entertainment and possibly The Roan Group (I.E., make that your E-bay search criteria). As already mentioned, the SE of Night of the Living Dead is a must-have, due to the stills collection.

I never made it a major goal to collect a lot of Japanese discs of American movies but there's a lot of highly sought after titles, like the "perfect' collections of Dawn of the Dead or Phenomena. One I do have, and highly recommend is the Japan issue of Evil Dead. It really does have a great look to it.

If you're a fan of Hong Kong movies like I am, Laserdisc is a needed element in your home theater. While many of the big name movies (I.E., John Woo, Jackie Chan, Jet Li) have gotten decent releases on DVD and Blu-Ray, a lot of great movies are either not available on the smaller disc format, or absolute shit shows. Like, they're non-anamorphic, and even worse, the subtitles are below the picture in the letterboxed area so you can't zoom in. You have to watch them letterboxed AND windowboxed (I'm assuming you have a 16x9 display). The HK Lasers were created from theatrical prints, with burned-in subtitles. Usually dual language, Chinese and English, and sometimes white on white. Not to mention they're often poor translations, but it's part of the charm. Note, do not go after the Tai Seng American releases if you can avoid it. Often a cruddy picture, and the above mentioned issue of subs below the image.

Finally, if you're a music fan, you will find there's a LOT of music video collections that are only available on LD with great sound too. One of my favorites is "Squeeze Play", which is a collection of the music videos made by the band Squeeze. They made some very creative videos, and there's two live clips with fantastic sound.

Paff
02-14-2014, 10:20 PM
Also, look for box sets. A lot of those came out with some really great extras. And not on the discs, but in the boxes. Like, there's a box set of Breakfast at Tiffany's that comes with a copy of Audrey Hepburn's personal script including all the notes she scribbled in it. Or, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest which came in a 200-page coffee table-style book about the making of the film. Hell, any fan of that film should have that even if they don't have an LD player!
Also, I don't think the Brad Bird animated series Family Dog ever came out on DVD, did it? There's a neat little box set of that.

zbinks
02-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Finally, if you're a music fan, you will find there's a LOT of music video collections that are only available on LD with great sound too. One of my favorites is "Squeeze Play", which is a collection of the music videos made by the band Squeeze. They made some very creative videos, and there's two live clips with fantastic sound.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but laserdiscs with either analog audio and/or uncompressed PCM digital audio may also be at a big advantage in the audio department over their DVD counterparts where analog audio wasn't possible and digital audio was more likely to be encoded as lossy DTS or Dolby Digital.

Paff
02-14-2014, 11:02 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but laserdiscs with either analog audio and/or uncompressed PCM digital audio may also be at a big advantage in the audio department over their DVD counterparts where analog audio wasn't possible and digital audio was more likely to be encoded as lossy DTS or Dolby Digital.

Nope, that's quite correct. PCM sound on LD is fantastic. Basically, it's CD-quality (like you mention, DTS and Dolby Digital are compressed on DVD).

Of course, like everything else, Blu-Ray has rendered the argument moot as the audio quality is top-notch on those discs.

Paff
02-21-2014, 12:16 AM
I swear the format is going through a resurgence right now.

I don't know about that, but I'm trying to watch a few more now that they look so much better on my new screen (which still surprises the shit out of me). I wanna dig into my Vincent Price/Roger Corman/Poe discs again. I think I have all of them.

Dave
02-21-2014, 07:25 AM
Between LDDB, Ebay, Laserdisc Forever - there is a good amount of activity. It may only amount to a thousand people, but look at some of the prices discs are going for (and actually selling). Lots are being bought up on ebay a lot, too.

Few times a week someone joins LD Forever and posts how they grew up wanting LD but couldn't afford it, so they are getting into it now. Most go in with reasonable expectations and aren't too disappointed with the drop in quality when compared to HD/blu-ray.

Paff
02-21-2014, 10:06 PM
My LDDB list was taken down, since I haven't updated it in a long time (guess I should change my sig...). I don't feel like re-entering 500 or so LDs.

A few nights ago I watched Assault on Precinct 13. It was kinda crappy looking, but it was more due to the transfer and not the format. Still, entirely watchable. I've gotta start digging through my tons of discs and find more stuff to watch. Like my Criterion edition of Repulsion.