PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Retro Slasher

rhett
08-01-2001, 09:22 AM
Here is a new poll to compliment Andrew's old one. Can't wait to see how this one turns out! :)

Hellbilly
08-01-2001, 06:13 PM
There can only be one, and its gonna be Halloween ...

...Utam!; we go away, we go Jungle!
-Evelyne Kraft, THE MIGHTY PEKING MAN

Cujo108
08-01-2001, 07:35 PM
It is Black Christmas all the way. It is the absolute BEST slasher film of all time!

Andrew
08-01-2001, 08:09 PM
Halloween, without a friggin' doubt.

Oh yeah, did anyone actually like Prom Night?

Hellbilly
08-01-2001, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by AndrewBBD
Halloween, without a friggin' doubt.

Oh yeah, did anyone actually like Prom Night?

Prom Night, a nice time-waster, no more, no less.
Jamie was cool, as usual.

AceRimRat
08-01-2001, 11:24 PM
Halloween's skill over F13's, er, camp.

I like most of these films, but I think Halloween stands out as a better all-around film than most of the others.

F13's a personal favorite, but it just doesn't measure up in terms of acting, scares, or overall quality.

Mark Relford
08-02-2001, 01:19 AM
Another vote for the classic Halloween. Black Christmas would be my second choice. (Bob Clark, quit making kiddie crap and give us another horror film!)
Old school slashers rule!:D

rhett
08-02-2001, 03:47 AM
I was thinking of removing Halloween from the list, because I thought without a doubt it would blow away the rest of the films, and indeed it is! I really enjoyed PROM NIGHT; thought it was one of the better slashers mentioned on the list. It is predictable, but it is fun, campy and at some points frightening, just what an 80's slasher ought to be.

Cujo108
08-02-2001, 06:36 AM
Halloween is obviously an excellent film, but there is no way in hell I'd ever pick it over the brilliant masterpiece Black Christmas. In my opinion, it is much better than Halloween. I'm actually surprised that it has only gotten two votes, one of them made by me of course. :(

Jason25
08-02-2001, 06:40 AM
I voted for Maniac, a classic. Don't get me wrong, Halloween is an excellent film, so I do love it, but I don't watch it as often as I do Maniac.

rhett
08-02-2001, 08:20 PM
Black Christmas was a very good film that introduced the entire slasher sub genre, but Halloween was the film that perfected it. Carpenter's film really knew how to handle the killing/stalking scenes, and was able to really kick it up a notch at the climax. Black Christmas, I felt, kind of fumbled at the climax, and just didn't entertain as much as Halloween. Carpenter was able to do much more with his lower budget, and the music, style, cinematography and overall polish are much stronger in Halloween.

mcchrist
08-02-2001, 09:32 PM
Cujo I completely agree (the other vote for Black Christmas was mine) John Carpenter was the first director I ever identified with, all of his movies (with the exception of Starman) were absolutely wonderful, despite all this praise however, Halloween never freaked me out as much as Black Christmas when I saw it as a kid. Halloween is a damn fine film, but probably one of my least watched Carpenter films.

onebyone
08-12-2005, 07:12 AM
Bumping an old poll to vote for Halloween, although I dearly love them all. These would make an excellent marathon.

RyanPC
08-12-2005, 07:27 AM
Wow, great poll, can't believe I missed this one. It was a hard decision because I have a great love for ALL of these films, but in the end I had to go with Maniac. I just love the gritty and sleazy New York setting, and the subway chase is one of my all-time favorite scenes in a movie ever!

I also have to give an honorable mention to He Knows You're Alone, even though it wasn't included on this poll.

thrashard76
08-12-2005, 08:20 AM
Maniac for me.

SaviniFan
08-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Halloween. First movie to ever scare the hell outta me. Black Christmas would be a close second.

Katatonia
08-12-2005, 09:18 AM
Definitely Halloween for me, but I love most of the movies on that list and it was hard to choose just one. Halloween is arguably the Dom Perignon of slasher movies though.

old-boo-radley
08-12-2005, 09:28 AM
Oddest thing about Halloween is that although it is the best, it's one that I couldn't watch as much as say F13 or MBV.

But, on Halloween night, Halloween is king. Halloween is the only holiday themed slasher that I completely relate to the holiday. I just can't get all excited about F13 on a Friday the 13th.

MorallySound
08-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Joe Spinell get's my vote.

Devo1313
08-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Has everyone forgotten Final Exam. After that probably Slumber Party Massacre.

bwana the clown
08-12-2005, 03:11 PM
My fondness for 'Sleepaway Camp' is unequalled by any other slasher.

Anthropophagus
08-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Halloween, with Maniac a close second. The Burning and Sleepaway Camp are great too. The Burning needs a proper dvd release though. Recently watched Madman and it was pretty good too, in a cheesy kind of way.

4Gotten1
08-12-2005, 03:31 PM
Pound for pound I had to go with Halloween. Great characters, great direction, great music, great suspense...great film.

fceurich39
08-12-2005, 11:43 PM
halloween will always be number one

Evil Dead Guy
08-13-2005, 01:25 AM
Went with Halloween, with maniac in second.

walkingdude
08-13-2005, 02:21 AM
For some reason I had a mental block on Sleepaway Camp and didn't notice it on the List until I had already voted for My Bloody Valentine.I love them both anyway.
I notice most have voted for Halloween.In my opinion the two following sequels are far superior.Part 1 is actually a bit of a bloodless bore.Sure it started it all but I didn't see too many votes for the first Friday movie as the favorite either.

dwatts
08-13-2005, 02:38 AM
Well, for me the poll would have worked better without some of the most well known in it. Halloween for me if you're talking big picture - however, there's plenty of room to love the likes of ":April Fools Day". But if I gotta choose the favorite...

Ash J. Williams
08-13-2005, 02:38 AM
I used to think Halloween 1 was rather as you put it. But then I developed a sense of what makes a movie great. The cinematography and most of all the general mood of Halloween is unequaled, even if it isn't one of my personal favorites. I actually do enjoy II much more, as it is simply more entertaining, but I definitely know that the first, while (I'm ashamed to say) blander, is a much better put-together movie, and has a sense of style and creepiness that I never tire of once I pop the tape in.

walkingdude
08-13-2005, 02:49 AM
I used to think Halloween 1 was rather as you put it. But then I developed a sense of what makes a movie great. The cinematography and most of all the general mood of Halloween is unequaled, even if it isn't one of my personal favorites. I actually do enjoy II much more, as it is simply more entertaining, but I definitely know that the first, while (I'm ashamed to say) blander, is a much better put-together movie, and has a sense of style and creepiness that I never tire of once I pop the tape in.
Don't get me wrong I think it's an ok movie but to me there are so many others on that list that I reach for ahead of Halloween.It just doesn't have the impact on me like Sleepaway Camp,The Burning,April Fools Day and others do.It has atmosphere but is laking punch.:)

maskull
08-13-2005, 05:28 PM
Easy for me. Black Christmas. Greatest Horror Film Ever!!!

honourable mentions to Halloween, My Bloody Valentine, and the start of When A Stranger Calls which if they'd managed to make the rest of the movie as good as the start, I'd probably have this flick challenge Black Christmas for best horror movie ever. But they didn't. Too bad.

Myron Breck
08-13-2005, 05:55 PM
This poll almost made me cross-eyed with indecision. It also really pissed me off, in that the only one I haven't seen still is not on DVD....THE BURNING. Will I ever see this fucking movie?! :(

Tawny
08-14-2005, 01:46 AM
I voted for Friday the 13th.

y2doublet
08-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Even though I nowadays tend to think that Black Christmas is the slightly better and more interesting film Halloween gets my vote as it is my sentimental favorite.

wago70
08-15-2005, 04:48 PM
Has everyone forgotten Final Exam. After that probably Slumber Party Massacre.
I voted Friday the 13th because I watch it so much. However, FINAL EXAM - no doubt a sentimental favorite for me. I saw it at the theater on a hot summer night with PROM NIGHT as the co-feature.

KillerCannabis
08-21-2005, 04:16 AM
I love all of these, but if I had to go with the one I enjoy watching most, its Halloween. I can watch that movie anytime. Close second was Maniac. Tom Savini's shotgun death is the best ever commited to celluloid.

PMcG_6
08-23-2005, 12:00 AM
Had to go with Halloween. I o have all the Slumber Party Massacre/Sorority House massacre movies though. Great stinky cheese. Is 'House on Sorority' Row any good?

walkingdude
08-23-2005, 12:07 AM
I have all the Slumber Party Massacre/Sorority House massacre movies though. Great stinky cheese. Is 'House on Sorority' Row any good?
If you have Slumber Party Massacres and Soroity House Massacres you need not ask,just buy!:)

PMcG_6
08-25-2005, 03:37 AM
Cool. Thanks. I'll add it to my long list.

RyanPC
08-25-2005, 03:43 AM
Had to go with Halloween. I o have all the Slumber Party Massacre/Sorority House massacre movies though. Great stinky cheese. Is 'House on Sorority' Row any good?

House on Sorority Row is a million times better than the Sorority House Massacre movies AND Slumber Party Massacre 2 combined.

Myron Breck
08-25-2005, 04:33 AM
House on Sorority Row is a million times better than the Sorority House Massacre movies AND Slumber Party Massacre 2 combined.

I concur. But I believe that it is also OOP. Try and find a used one online.

Cujo108
08-25-2005, 04:41 AM
Slumber Party Massacre II rules! Its one of the weirdest films you'll ever see, and that's exactly what I love about it. There's a surreal, nightmarish quality to it that works quite well for me, and the guitar playing driller killer is a hoot and a half. Its the best of the three films, and I prefer it to The House on Sorority Row as well.

Shokk
12-29-2005, 11:30 PM
Halloween. With that said..Black Christmas is a close second..They achieved what numerous others that followed failed to do.Be effective while keeping the bloodshed at a bare minimum. I know both Prom Night and Terror Train are light on the grue also..but they cannot compare with either Halloween or BC.

LivingDeadMafia
12-29-2005, 11:32 PM
Too hard to choose from that list

Franco
12-29-2005, 11:57 PM
Too hard to choose from that list

The same here. Many of those share a high replay value for me. Impossible to take a decision.

_pi_
12-30-2005, 12:04 AM
Halloween all the way, with Black Christmas in 2nd place.

satans-sadists
07-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Halloween, followed by Black Christmas and Maniac.

philxus
07-25-2007, 10:13 PM
:evil: HALLOWEEN :evil:

YottNik
07-25-2007, 10:44 PM
As much as I love most of the movies on that list, I have to vote for Sleepaway Camp.

wago70
07-26-2007, 12:04 AM
Friday the 13th is my favorite on the list. When I first saw it on Showtime in the summer of '81, that movie had so much dread and eerieness that I watched it with the lights off, alone and my feet up off the floor on the couch. The ending was really great...oddly, I had a lot of sympathy for the killer.

Erick H.
07-26-2007, 04:47 AM
Including HALLOWEEN in here(likewise FRIDAY THE 13TH) is really gonna skew the voting,sort of like having a poll about ''Who is your favorite fictional spy ?" and including James Bond.Of course he would get a landslide of votes,he's the best known.HALLOWEEN is such a touchstone film in the genre (as is FRIDAY THE 13TH)that it would be nearly impossible to edge out.A poll of slashers outside of HALLOWEEN/FRIDAY etc. might make this a more interesting contest.

rp108
07-26-2007, 05:40 AM
I have it narrowed down to three choices: Halloween, Friday The 13th, Maniac. Multiple choice please. : )

rxfiend
07-26-2007, 07:54 AM
a lot of good stuff in the list, however, i went with my bloody valentine. a great, great slasher, which i have highly recommend to everyone i know (who's into slashers).

Cantona07
07-26-2007, 04:09 PM
The Burning.

Body Boy
08-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Sleepaway Camp, followed by Friday the 13th, My Bloody Valentine, and Black Christmas.

Horrorphilly
08-21-2008, 10:05 PM
What does The Prowler get no love here? Its a fantastic slasher,with a original killer,hot babes,very nice gore and awesome kills.It was a total blind buy for me.I heard the song The Prowler from the band Frightmare and found it and loved every minute of it.It does get slow during some scenes but even knowing who the killer is,he still is a menacing figure.

Sean

The Chaostar
08-21-2008, 11:19 PM
You asked for FAVORITE, not BEST.

BURNING gets my vote.

Mattapooh
08-21-2008, 11:21 PM
I love a lot of those movies like The Burning, Friday the 13th, House on Sorority Row, My Bloody Valentine, The Prowler, Sleepaway Camp and Slumber Party Massacre, and I think Halloween is absolutely amazing and could watch it weekly without ever getting bored, but I had to go with Black Christmas.

It's rougher than Halloween and all, but it just works so goddamn well. The harassing calls, the acting (especially Margot Kidder, who I've got the biggest crush on in that flick), the editing (especially when Margot gets offed), the tension, it's just a phenomenal movie. Not to mention how completely off-putting the ending is! At first it's more of a "what the hell??" reaction, but I noticed myself loving it as I had some time to digest it. It's not a half-assed, doesn't-make-any-damn-sense twist ending like a lot of slasher flicks have, it's just pure misdirection that catches you off guard and leaves you with a bunch of questions.

Plus, considering Black Christmas came before Halloween and used some of the conventions first, that gives it another few points.

So yeah, Black Christmas.

_pi_
08-22-2008, 01:03 AM
If I were voting today, I'd probably pick Happy Birthday To Me, the craziest slasher in existence. I feel like I wasted my vote on the otherwise excellent Halloween :)

j tea
08-22-2008, 04:57 AM
black christmas for sure, it is perfect, for any genre.

spawningblue
08-22-2008, 06:41 PM
I love a lot of those movies like The Burning, Friday the 13th, House on Sorority Row, My Bloody Valentine, The Prowler, Sleepaway Camp and Slumber Party Massacre, and I think Halloween is absolutely amazing and could watch it weekly without ever getting bored, but I had to go with Black Christmas.

It's rougher than Halloween and all, but it just works so goddamn well. The harassing calls, the acting (especially Margot Kidder, who I've got the biggest crush on in that flick), the editing (especially when Margot gets offed), the tension, it's just a phenomenal movie. Not to mention how completely off-putting the ending is! At first it's more of a "what the hell??" reaction, but I noticed myself loving it as I had some time to digest it. It's not a half-assed, doesn't-make-any-damn-sense twist ending like a lot of slasher flicks have, it's just pure misdirection that catches you off guard and leaves you with a bunch of questions.

Plus, considering Black Christmas came before Halloween and used some of the conventions first, that gives it another few points.

So yeah, Black Christmas.

I too love Black Christmas and was thinking about it the other day, and as cool as a sequel would have been, I'm kind of glad they didn't do one. I like that the ending leaves you wondering. I think multiple sequels would have taken that away, and turned the franchise into a joke like the Halloween, Friday, and Nightmare franchises became. After seeing Freddy's jokes and puns in the various sequels, it makes the first film less scary.

Oh, and don't get me wrong, I love all the sequels to the popular franchises, they are fun, fun movies! But I don't think any of them hold a candle to the originals, and do make you look at the originals from a different less frightening perspective. Had they ended the first Nightmare movie after the original I may still be having having nightmares about Freddy, instead anytime I see him on screen I wait for his next joke, or rap for that matter.

indrid13
08-24-2008, 04:42 AM
Halloween for sure and then Black Christmas, Friday The 13th and then My Bloody Valentine.

Mutilated Prey
08-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Tough one, but I gotta go with Halloween. Friday the 13th is next, then The Burning, The Prowler, My Bloody Valentine.