PDA

View Full Version : Dawn 4-disc specs

Admin
06-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Fangoria has just released the specs for the upcoming Dawn of the Dead (1978) 4-disc set by Anchor Bay coming out later this year. Can you say "best DVD release ever"?

DISC ONE: U.S. THEATRICAL VERSION
(same contents as March’s single-disc release)
• Widescreen presentation (1.85:1) enhanced for 16x9 TVs
• Audio commentary by writer/director George A. Romero, makeup FX creator Tom Savini and assistant director Chris Romero, moderated by Perry Martin
• Theatrical trailers
• TV spots
• Radio spots
• Poster & advertising gallery
• George A. Romero biography
• Comic book preview
• 5.1 DTS Surround sound
• 5.1 Dolby Surround sound
• 2.0 Dolby Surround
• Original mono track

DISC TWO: EXTENDED VERSION
• Audio commentary by producer Richard P. Rubinstein, moderated by Perry Martin
• Monroeville Mall commercial
• Behind-the-scenes photo gallery
• Memorabilia gallery
• Production stills
• Original mono track

DISC THREE: EUROPEAN VERSION
• Audio commentary by actors David Emge, Ken Foree, Scott H. Reiniger and Gaylen Ross
• International theatrical trailers
• UK TV spots
• International lobby card gallery
• International poster & advertising gallery
• International pressbook gallery
• U.S. & international home video & soundtrack artwork
• Dario Argento biography
• 5.1 Dolby Surround sound
• 2.0 Dolby Surround
• Original mono track

DISC FOUR: DOCUMENTARIES
• DOCUMENT OF THE DEAD, The original documentary filmed during the making of DAWN by Filmmaker Roy Frumkes
• THE DEAD WILL WALK, an all-new 75-minute documentary featuring interviews with cast and crew members Claudio Argento, Dario Argento, Pat Buba, Tony Buba, Zilla Clinton, David Crawford, David Early, David Emge, Ken Foree, Michael Gornick, John Harrison, Clayton Hill, Sharon Ceccatti-Hill, Jim Krut, Leonard Lies, Scott H. Reiniger, Chris Romero, George A. Romero, Gaylen Ross, Tom Savini and Claudio Simonetti
• On-set home movies with audio commentary by zombie extra Robert Langer
• Monroeville Mall tour with Romero

This extensive set will be available September 7th, and can be had for $49.95.

rhett
06-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Dave sleeps with cats.

Admin
06-12-2004, 07:52 PM
You son of a bitch.

Grim
06-12-2004, 10:33 PM
Damn, Anchor Bay really out-did themselves with this one.

Tom Servo
06-13-2004, 12:13 AM
The European cut is the Argento cut, right? I'm really looking foward to this release. I even had to double dip on this film (which I usually never do) but I love Dawn of the Dead so much. This DVD seems like the end all and will likely be the best DVD I have in my collection. Maybe I will even find a homeless guy to give my old copy of the film to.

mcchrist
06-13-2004, 01:26 AM
Yep, that is the Argento cut and this is precisely the news I want to hear. The waiting hurts.

Number Six
06-13-2004, 01:36 AM
Hooray for not double-dipping!

By the by, anyone wonder why there's no news at the Anchor Bay site? Or am I just blind :glasses: ?

Nemesis
06-13-2004, 01:36 AM
that 4th disc looks pretty exciting too

Cujo108
06-13-2004, 01:54 AM
Damn, nice to see Anchor Bay really is going all out with this release! I am extraordinarily pleased with all the extras and the inclusion of all the film versions. Great to see they got the rights to Document of the Dead too, as I never got around to getting it, and that 75 minute documentary should easily be one of the best ever.

Tom Servo
06-13-2004, 02:24 AM
Yep, that is the Argento cut and this is precisely the news I want to hear. The waiting hurts.

I've wanted to see the Argento cut ever since I heard about it. Very exciting news indeed.

Noto
06-13-2004, 03:55 AM
4 DISCS!!!!!!!

http://www.emotioneric.com/finalsdone.jpg

Lyle Horowitz
06-13-2004, 04:26 AM
I'll def. get this, although I have the recent 1-disc release. I'm saving my money though (save for a few DVDs July-August I have on order, THX 1138 and The Alfred Hitchcock Collection from Warner in Sept) so if I have extra spending $$$ I'll get this right away (depending on the price). If not, I can wait a few months.

Nemesis
06-13-2004, 04:49 AM
excellent

http://www.emotioneric.com/exxcellent.jpg

ps: emotion eric rules :P

thrashard76
06-13-2004, 05:53 AM
Haahaaha! :lol: 3 movie versions and 4 disks?!! :eek1:

Cool. This isn't the best DVD release ever, but AB has done this movie along with Romero and Argento well. Hopefully there won't be any manufacturing or audio fuck ups.

Dari Argent
06-13-2004, 11:37 AM
I am shure that AB will not fuck up this release. They know how important this movie and especially this release is for the fans.

I will shure by this release!! :)

PS: Where can I get this emotion-eric-pics?

rhett
06-13-2004, 05:38 PM
Emotion Eric (http://www.emotioneric.com)

Grim
06-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Man, I so should've thought of that. :D

bigdaddyhorse
06-13-2004, 06:52 PM
If all that is true it is simply awesome.
Maybe not the best ddvd set ever, but it will be close and be ONE OF the best sets ever. I'll happily double dip for this!

fceurich39
06-13-2004, 07:17 PM
ON SEPTEMBER 7TH THE DEAD WILL WALK THE EARTH AND ON DVD :evil:

fceurich39
06-13-2004, 07:21 PM
On October 5th 2004 Dawn Of The Dead Remake Will Be Unleashed In Both Rated Sucks And Unrated 2 Hour Version Which Will Rock

BloodMan
06-13-2004, 09:13 PM
God... cannot wait for all this. Oh the pain of waiting! :)

SilentScreams
06-14-2004, 12:20 AM
From DVDFile:

So, what are you gonna get? How about the film's theatrical cut, a new extended cut and the European "Zombie" Cut (each gets their own disc), presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen with Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 and DTS 5.1 surround tracks on the theatrical cut, Dolby 5.1 and 2.0 for the Euro cut, and Dolby mono only for the extended version, plus audio commentary with Romero, his wife Chris, makeup legend Tom Savini and moderator Perry Martin on the theatrical cut, producer Richard P. Rubinstein and Martin on the extended cut, and stars David Emge, Ken Foree, Scott H. Reiniger and Gaylen Ross on the Euro cut. Disc Four features the new 75-minute "The Dead Will Walk" documentary (featuring interviews with all of the above plus Claudio and Dario Argento, Pat and Tony Buba, Zilla Clinton, Michael Gornick, Claudio Simonetti and more), the original "Document of the Dead" documentary by Roy Frumkes, on-set home movie footage and a Monroeville Mall tour hosted by Romero. Other extras include five still galleries with domestic and international advertising, poster, lobby card and marketing materials, filmographies, a comic book preview, a Monroeville TV commercial, and theatrical trailers, TV and radio spots from around the world. Retail for this puppy will be $49.95.

So the price is set at $49.95 and will probably be around $30.00-$40.00 at online retailers. I will be double dipping for sure.

life_o_petey
06-14-2004, 12:24 AM
that's a damn good price for all that, and well worth the extra wait. I usually don't get dvds the day they're released, but i'll be scratching at the doors at Best Buy in September.

zombi3
06-14-2004, 03:58 AM
Now THIS is a box set!

You hear that, Paramount? :fuck:

thrashard76
06-14-2004, 07:06 AM
On October 5th 2004 Dawn Of The Dead Remake Will Be Unleashed In Both Rated Sucks And Unrated 2 Hour Version Which Will Rock
Freekin' A!!! Unrated, I can't wait. :evil:

Now THIS is a box set!

That box set is gonna rock. :D I can't wait. In your ear Paramount. :fuck:

Demon
06-14-2004, 09:25 AM
Oh my goodness!!!

This is great news! Great news this is!

Shannafey
06-14-2004, 01:51 PM
Is the extended cut, the director's cut? I assume it is!

This is great news!! This definitely looks like the definitive edition! They really outdid themselves this time!!

Loomis
06-14-2004, 02:00 PM
I'm a little late responding but...

WOOHOO!
Now THIS is a box set!

See this is what happens when the fanbase are treated with respect!

I have to say, the keyboard was threatened with drool from this news, and deservedly so!

The upcoming Friday set sounds like somebody dropped the ball, but Anchor Bay have obviously picked it up and ran with it, putting together what looks like the best DVD set ever.

With Dawn of the Dead (remake) being one of the better horror films of this year, and now this, it is truly the year of the dead. The only thing complaining at the moment is my bank balance (September is going to be a very pricey month).

NickyDoyle
06-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Loomis
The only thing complaining at the moment is my bank balance

Totally agreed here, man. Especially considering the great end of July releases (Conquest, Zombie, etc.)

Kudos, AB. :)

ekent
06-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Is the extended cut, the director's cut? I assume it is!

This is great news!! This definitely looks like the definitive edition! They really outdid themselves this time!!

The extended cut is the best description for it. The director's preferred cut is the theatrical version. The version that is called "The Director's Cut" is actually the early cut that was put together for Cannes. Rubenstein licensed it out as the Director's Cut to AB, but to call it the Cannes Cut or the Extended Edition would be more appropriate.

ekent
06-14-2004, 07:10 PM
"• THE DEAD WILL WALK, an all-new 75-minute documentary featuring interviews with cast and crew members Claudio Argento......"

This sounds awesome and the fact that it clocks in at 75 minutes is quite impressive.

"• On-set home movies with audio commentary by zombie extra Robert Langer"

Anyone have any idea if this is the D25 footage that Chris "The Geek" Stravakias was working on?

"DISC THREE: EUROPEAN VERSION
• Audio commentary by actors David Emge, Ken Foree, Scott H. Reiniger and Gaylen Ross"

Nice to finally get this one in 1.85:1, all versions I have are unmatted. Also, it strikes me as odd that this would be the version that the 4 main characters would commentate on. I am willing to bet at least 2 of them have not even seen this particular cut. We are going to be hearing a lot of "I don't remember this part..." and "I don't remember this music being in this scene...". I think that it would have been more appropriate for Rubenstein to do the commentary for the Argento cut since he was the one who did the financial wheeling and dealing with Argento, and also he would have more interesting things to say about the licensing and the problems that it had with being edited in the European markets.

fceurich39
06-14-2004, 10:54 PM
unrated edition to be 9 to 23 minutes longer than rated verion
1. audio commentary by director zack snyder and producer eric newman
2. surviving dawn of the dead featurette
3. dvd-rom features
4. un-dead scenes additional scenes not added into the film
5.a short film called the lost tape andy's terrifying last days gunshop owner
6.special bulletin:we interrupt this program complete newsreel of the dead
7. anatomy of exploding heads featurette
8. attack of the living dead feature
9. and more coming soon

this is gonna be sweet comes out TUESDAY OCT 5TH 2004 PRICE $20-30

Tom Servo
06-14-2004, 10:57 PM
unrated edition to be 9 to 23 minutes longer than rated verion
1. audio commentary by director zack snyder and producer eric newman
2. surviving dawn of the dead featurette
3. dvd-rom features
4. un-dead scenes additional scenes not added into the film
5.a short film called the lost tape andy's terrifying last days gunshop owner
6.special bulletin:we interrupt this program complete newsreel of the dead
7. anatomy of exploding heads featurette
8. attack of the living dead feature
9. and more coming soon

this is gonna be sweet comes out TUESDAY OCT 5TH 2004 PRICE $20-30
Isn't there already another thread for the remake DVD?

Grim
06-15-2004, 12:30 AM
And where did they get 9-23 mins? I thought it was just flat out 9 minutes.

Marka1620
06-15-2004, 03:43 AM
Can't wait for this release. That means I will be triple-dipping, but Dawn is well worth it. Any one knows which version is the longest and how much longer is it?

Nemesis
06-15-2004, 04:24 AM
It says "New" extended edition... what do they mean by new? i assume it is just the cannes edition as everyone else has.. but that doesnt explain the term new... either way i'd kill for that 4th disc... i really will.. don't push me! :evil:

bwana the clown
06-15-2004, 07:50 AM
It says "New" extended edition... what do they mean by new?

Maybe John Russo is shooting some 'seamlessly matching' new footage starring his family. :evil:

Demon
06-15-2004, 07:55 AM
you guys think the Euro cut will have the Zombi artwork ?

Noto
06-15-2004, 10:31 PM
http://www.emotioneric.com/americanidol.gif

Grim
06-15-2004, 10:45 PM
Haha, that's awesome, Notoriousaurus. Four posts and you're already cool in my book.

Marka1620
06-15-2004, 10:51 PM
She Bangs..she bangs!

thrashard76
06-16-2004, 03:52 AM
http://www.emotioneric.com/americanidol.gif
The plane should be arriving soon. :lol:

Marka1620
06-16-2004, 04:31 AM
Dude, you've got issues! lol :banana:

Luna
06-16-2004, 05:57 AM
That's too damn funny.

And this news? Oh my god, I think I'll be freaking out till October. Quadruple dipping and I barely mind! Not too many other movies I'd do that for, that's for sure. I've never seen the Argento cut, but oh, I await it anxiously.

I NEED THIS SET! http://www.atforumz.com/images/smilies/drool.gif

Marka1620
06-16-2004, 06:00 AM
I agree with you Luna, "Dawn" has tapped my wallet twice already and when the new one comes out, that will be 3 times. Very few movies would get away with that.

Shannafey
06-16-2004, 03:02 PM
I've made money on Dawn. I sold the last dvd as soon as I heard about the new set coming out, and quadroupled my money on Ebay. Of Course I made a "backup" to hold me over until the new set comes out!!

Silent Noize
06-16-2004, 11:07 PM
Wow, this is really a great set. My only complaint is that they put the actors commentary on the euro-cut of the film. I was hopeing it would be on the cannes-cut. Aint a big deal though. I will deff be picking this up.

bigdaddyhorse
06-16-2004, 11:19 PM
I've made money on Dawn. I sold the last dvd as soon as I heard about the new set coming out, and quadroupled my money on Ebay. Of Course I made a "backup" to hold me over until the new set comes out!!

I did the same thing and almost quintipled on the "Director's Cut", more than double on the theater/anniversary edition, and still have the old VHS extended and new theater dvd with the cool gold holo-foil to hold me over until the be-all/end-all set gets into my collection. Can't wait to finally see Argento's cut! I'll keep the theater disc just cuz it looks cool.

ekent
06-17-2004, 12:33 AM
Yeah I am another one of the lucky souls that actually made money off of Dawn of the Dead. 65 for my Directors Cut, 40 for the Theatrical, + another 45 off of the Day of the Dead original release. What kills me is Sams Club had 2 packs of Day and Dawn Theatrical for 19.99! There were literally dozens of them, I could have bought a car with the profits! Oh the pain!

Tom Servo
06-17-2004, 12:45 AM
Yeah I am another one of the lucky souls that actually made money off of Dawn of the Dead. 65 for my Directors Cut, 40 for the Theatrical, + another 45 off of the Day of the Dead original release. What kills me is Sams Club had 2 packs of Day and Dawn Theatrical for 19.99! There were literally dozens of them, I could have bought a car with the profits! Oh the pain!

The dangers of ebay, I think some people look there first and are willing to spend double or triple the amount when they could go to a local store and buy the movies. Well, that is their loss and I guess we are all lucky that such people exist to help pad our pockets.

Nemesis
06-17-2004, 01:15 AM
yep, i've made that mistake before and bought something i thought was OOP for $15 shipped then found it was available for $4 on DDD :(

Shannafey
06-17-2004, 01:48 PM

After it gets in your blood, you realize what you could have had, but hindsight is always 20/20. I passed up a used Director's cut for $10 before I was an Ebay seller. I have a bunch of boxed sets and Criterions to put up in the next few weeks, and I'm going to do a Pawn shop run this weekend. Hopefully I will find some good stuff. Salo where for art thou???

Number Six
06-17-2004, 07:56 PM
"Wherefor" means "why".

;)

Loomis
06-22-2004, 01:11 PM
Deepest apologies if this is the 100th time this has been posted, but I just noticed AB have an "offical" Dawn of the Dead: The Ultimate Edition website.

http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/dawnofthedead/

Grim
06-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Hmm, a lot of the stuff just says coming soon, but I'll be checking this little bastard daily. Thanks for the link.

EDIT: You can see what the discs themselves look like, though, if you click on each individual section.

Grim
06-22-2004, 01:24 PM
And I'm kinda pissed that the extended version wasn't remixed in 5.1. But these are all minor gripes.

dapigg
06-22-2004, 01:24 PM
yep, i've made that mistake before and bought something i thought was OOP for $15 shipped then found it was available for $4 on DDD :(

I made good money on Ebay with Dawn of the Dead, They Live, and the Alien Legacy boxset and probably others. In all cases, I listed them for sale as soon as I found out that they were being re-released. I have sold a lot of stuff on Ebay and I am constantly amazed at what some people will pay. :p ;)

ekent
06-22-2004, 02:13 PM
Badass link for the specs, thanks!

As for no 5.1, I could care less. The DTS track on the Theatrical version just released left a lot to be desired. Save the disc space for more video quality or features.

Silent Noize
06-22-2004, 05:54 PM
man, they really need to get the artwork up.

h8sh8
07-20-2004, 05:33 PM
anyone know what version of "Document of the Dead" will be on this?
The 60min or 84-90min version? - The euro 2-disc D.o.t.D. had the 60min version.
Not that the behind the scenes of Two Evil Eyes was that interesting anyway, but just wondering - can't find any info on the running time.
(I'm guessing the Roy Frumkes commentary from the US DVD would have been mentioned in the specs if that was included).

Mortis
07-24-2004, 10:28 AM
DDD finally put the new set up for pre-order for $32.99.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ABD012167

evildeadfan123
07-24-2004, 04:05 PM
I will be buying this Dawn Of The Dead: Ultimate Edition, which was a year in the making. Anchor Bay was to release this September, 2003. When I first heard about it, I sold my OOP Director's cut of Dawn Of the Dead, and I think I got about $80.00, maybe a little more for it. I will still get Friday The 13th, but Paramount is too cheap to put out a good Box Set for fans of the series. Paramount doesn't want to be remembered as the studio that put out the first 8 Fridays, and, looking at the specks for the movies, Friday the 13th Part 3 DOES NOT look like it will be in 3d. Well, I will be keeping my 3D LCD DVD of Part 3

VideoViolence
07-24-2004, 06:36 PM
Yeah, where can you get the Emotion Eric pics? And this DOTD 4 disc release rules!!

boogeyman74
08-23-2004, 07:37 PM
i cant wait for that BEAutiful 4 disc set......thank christ

Grim
08-23-2004, 07:41 PM
This is one that I absolutely must buy in stores. No waiting for me. Looks as though I'll be getting Videodrome online, though, save me about 6 bucks.

rhett
08-23-2004, 08:15 PM
Yeah, where can you get the Emotion Eric pics? And this DOTD 4 disc release rules!!
http://www.emotioneric.com

DVD File has a review up, kind of blah, but the set sounds amazing!

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/review/dvd-video_9/dawnofthedead_ue.html

fceurich39
08-24-2004, 03:27 AM
only 2 weeks until the dead will walk the earth ultimately into your dvd players

h8sh8
08-28-2004, 04:38 AM
anyone know what version of "Document of the Dead" will be on this?
The 60min or 84-90min version? - The euro 2-disc D.o.t.D. had the 60min version.
Not that the behind the scenes of Two Evil Eyes was that interesting anyway, but just wondering - can't find any info on the running time.
(I'm guessing the Roy Frumkes commentary from the US DVD would have been mentioned in the specs if that was included).

DVD File has a review up, kind of blah, but the set sounds amazing!

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/review/dvd-video_9/dawnofthedead_ue.html

Cool, going by the review, seems like Document Of The Dead is the longer version.
Weird that the review says 95mins, when the previously released extended version says 84mins at Amazon. Is this a third different version?

fceurich39
08-29-2004, 03:14 AM
my guess would be yes because over the time they originally had it on vhs at just 60 minutes,then released in limited quantities on dvd which ran 60 minutes but had deleted scenes as a special features. so now i think this version has the deleted scenes included in the 95 minute version

rhett
08-29-2004, 10:40 AM
The Document of the Dead is longer than any other previous version because it includes some deleted scenes and an alternate credit sequence that runs after the actual documentary, adding 8 or so minutes to the whole thing.

I managed to actually get an early review up for once, so here is my review for DAWN OF THE DEAD: ULTIMATE EDITION (http://www.horrordvds.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewreview&op=newreview&id=138)!

betterdan
08-29-2004, 04:08 PM
Nice review. Thanks for the pics.

jscott
08-29-2004, 04:28 PM
An interesting footnote: Greg Nicotero, of KNB FX, filmed the Monroeville Mall tour footage. Also, myself, and ekent, can be seen on that particular Mall tour.

fceurich39
08-29-2004, 08:53 PM
i can hardly wait anymore

Mortis
08-29-2004, 10:00 PM
What year was that shot?

An interesting footnote: Greg Nicotero, of KNB FX, filmed the Monroeville Mall tour footage. Also, myself, and ekent, can be seen on that particular Mall tour.

jscott
08-29-2004, 10:21 PM
2003. Ekent & I were on the first tour with Foree, Clayton & Sharon Hill, Joe Shelby, and Nicotero.

rhett
08-29-2004, 11:07 PM
Nicotero knows how to do makeup, but he can't videotape worth shit.

Mortis
08-30-2004, 03:21 AM
Ah, cool. My group went last, but we had Ken and a bunch of others. I remember seeing Nicotero there, too. It's still cool to know that I was atleast there.

2003. Ekent & I were on the first tour with Foree, Clayton & Sharon Hill, Joe Shelby, and Nicotero.

thrashard76
08-30-2004, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the early review rhett. ;-)