PDA

View Full Version : A Virgin Among the Living Dead

johnmar
08-02-2001, 07:15 PM
I heard that Synapse will be releasing Jess Franco's "A Virgin Among the Living Dead" but I don't see any info on this on their website. Was I just hallucinating?

I was contemplating purchasing a gray market tape since I really want to see this film. A DVD would be infinitely better, though.

While on the subject of Franco and Synapse. Has anyone seen "Exorcism"? I hear that there are several versions of this film and I was wondering if anyone knows which one will be on the DVD. I hope that they don't do the "Female Vampire" fiasco again.

crank
08-02-2001, 08:35 PM
Actually I believe that Image is going to be releasing this title within the next couple of months as part of their "Euro Shock Collection".

crank

mcchrist
08-02-2001, 08:43 PM
No disrespect or anything, but this movie was one of the worst I've ever seen (yes I've seen the uncut one) In fact I put it as the worst film of all time, so much so that I would have even said it was the only bad film for anything else has at least one scene or something that was interesting. All this changed when I saw Moulin Rouge however.

flesh-huntr
08-03-2001, 02:40 AM
I agree this truly sucks....but. I have a copy of the WIZARD video that runs 90m and I'm not sure what was cut out, but certain scenes are 'blacked out'. This has the same effect as the NIN Closer video where the entire screen is black except maybe a face. Anyone know anything about this and why not just cut the scenes out?

johnmar
08-07-2001, 06:10 PM
From what I read, the black spots are supposed to hide the explicit scenes. Thankfully, I only saw the unedited version of Closer, which is excellent!

As for A Virgin Among the Living Dead, there are reportedly many versions. The American version also had some additional zombie scenes, which were directed by Jean Rollin, spliced in. I think that the DVD is supposed to remove the black spots and resore the original film.

mcchrist
08-07-2001, 11:13 PM
I've seen the Jean Rollin shots and they look ludicrous, the uncut film was bad enough, the cut version added an even lower level amongst the bowels of tripe.

old-boo-radley
03-31-2006, 11:02 AM
I was reading a review of this online and I seen a picture of a girl holding some scissors next to another's bush, is there any actual bush buzzing, is it just implied, is it a stabbing/cut, or do I just have way too much time on my hands? I will definitely pick it up if there's bush trimming!

RyanPC
03-31-2006, 12:23 PM
I was reading a review of this online and I seen a picture of a girl holding some scissors next to another's bush, is there any actual bush buzzing, is it just implied, is it a stabbing/cut, or do I just have way too much time on my hands? I will definitely pick it up if there's bush trimming!

There's no bush buzzing; I believe she was cutting the other girl's breast and just held it near her bush when she wasn't cutting. :p

I love this film, but I can see why so many people hate it. The first time I saw it, via the horrid Wizard Video tape, I fell asleep twice. Then, I rented it again and decided that I kind of liked it, even with the stupid Rollin zombie scenes. And then I recently rented the DVD and it was like a revelation to me; almost a completely different film! Great stuff. :)

legnadibrom
04-03-2006, 06:16 PM
i love it, too,
i must've seen the same release back when i rented it as a young man because i remember getting really pissed off at the blacked-out scenes, but it was called "zombie 4: a virgin among the living dead,"
and it felt like a different movie when i watched the DVD, as well, but still with great atmosphere and weirdness