PDA

View Full Version : Stray Dog (1949) - The Criterion Collection

Lyle Horowitz
06-30-2004, 03:10 AM
Check out my latest review for Akira Kurosawa's noir masterpeice, Stray Dog over at "We Review DVDs"

"The film takes place right after WW2, and the cynicism and nihilism of the Japanese is showcased here to a degree which cannot be replicated. I love the little things in Kurosawa’s films, and Stray Dog is no different."

Check out the full review here:
http://wereviewdvds.blogspot.com/

hell ya!
06-30-2004, 03:22 AM
Nice review, i'm waiting for my DDD order to arrive so i can watch the movie. It sounds really good and i've loved everything else that Kurosawa has done and Mifune and Shimura are great together as well.

Lyle Horowitz
06-30-2004, 03:50 AM
Kurosawa is my favorite director, but oddly enough, his most beloved film -- Seven Samurai, I don't really like that much. My favorites: Throne of Blood, Stray Dog, Yojimbo, Rashomon, and Ikiru.

I got Sanjuro, Red Beard, and The Lower Depths in the mail today.

hell ya!
06-30-2004, 04:04 AM
The first time i watched SS i wasn't that impressed with it but the second time it blew me away, i loved it. It's now in my top 20. Yojimbo and The Hidden Fortress are my other favorites. High And Low is fantastic also, well they're all great actually. :)

mutleyhyde
06-30-2004, 04:29 AM
I got this far...

You can say one of my worst character traits is how protective I am of my things. In Stray Dog, this is one of Murukami’s (Toshirô Mifune) worst traits as well, or at least the one that ends up getting him in the most trouble. The premise of Stray Dog is simple – Murukami is a rookie cop who looses his gun.

ARRGGHH!!

Lyle, please, for the love of God, for the love of Akira Kurosawa even, please edit that typo! One of my biggest typo peeves. :fucked: (and if you don't know, it should be 'loses'.)

Okay, now to read the rest of the review...

mutleyhyde
06-30-2004, 04:35 AM
Okay, read the rest. Very nicely done Lyle. Stray Dog is one of my all time favorite movies too, by the way, and I finally picked the dvd up on the big DDD sale this last week. Can't wait to crack it open this weekend.

Lyle Horowitz
06-30-2004, 04:59 AM
I got this far...

ARRGGHH!!

Lyle, please, for the love of God, for the love of Akira Kurosawa even, please edit that typo! One of my biggest typo peeves. :fucked: (and if you don't know, it should be 'loses'.)

Okay, now to read the rest of the review...
Damn, thanks Hyde. Can't believe I didn't notice that while proofreading. Indeed, :fucked:

meddle
06-30-2004, 05:17 AM
Great review Lyle, I have always enjoyed reading your work. Here is a review for Kurosawa's Throne of Blood that Lyle wrote for my site: http://www.10kbullets.com/reviews/throneofblood.htm :)

mutleyhyde
06-30-2004, 05:25 AM
No biggie Lyle, I mean, typos happen. It's just that that one gets me seeing red. ;)

Throne of Blood... yes, another of my most favorite Kurosawas.

Along with Stray Dog, I got Red Beard and Ikiru from DDD this week as well. Life is good.

Lyle Horowitz
06-30-2004, 04:06 PM
Thanks for posting that review, Mike. Interesting that I mentioned 'Treasure' in both reviews, I have to stop doing that. :)

BTW, Hyde, I checked my PMs, thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

Grim
06-30-2004, 04:43 PM
Nice review Lyle, makes me interested in the film. I think i'll have to get this when I have the cash to spare.

Lyle Horowitz
06-30-2004, 04:57 PM
Nice review Lyle, makes me interested in the film. I think i'll have to get this when I have the cash to spare.
Cool beans, John! I think it was worth writing as long as I got at least one person to see the film. :)

meddle
06-30-2004, 07:57 PM
Thanks for posting that review, Mike. Interesting that I mentioned 'Treasure' in both reviews, I have to stop doing that. :)

BTW, Hyde, I checked my PMs, thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

No problem, my favorite Kurosawa film is High and Low and Stray Dog sounds right up my alley since I also like film noir alot. :)