PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Fulci?

rhett
07-04-2004, 04:16 PM
Love him or hate him, Lucio Fulci has been one of the most lauded of all modern horror directors. With two more of his films being released by Blue Underground this month, its about time to rank 'em to determine the best of the best. So which is your favorite?

Tawny
07-04-2004, 04:26 PM
Well, I've only seen a few:Zombie, House by the Cemetery, The Beyond, City of the Living Dead,Zombie 3.(though his involvement there is questionable. )Out of all of them, I like House by the Cemetery the best. I just love the atmosphere, its very creepy. I love the entire final scene in the basement. I love Bob. Anyway, I'm stocked up on a bunch of Fulci movies, but so far, I like it the best.

dwatts
07-04-2004, 04:42 PM
There are different ways to look at answering such a question. Given that Fulci made in excess of 90 movies, most people (including me) have only seen a handful of them.

Whenever such a poll comes up, Don't Torture a Duckling gets all the kudos (and a lot of votes) but The Beyond tend to wins out. interesting to see what we get here.

I respect Duckling, I really do. However, when I need a Fulci fix, I turn to The Beyond. It's a brilliant film that displays great intelligence, and stupidity, at the same time. Equal measures ridiculous and scary, eqaul measures beautiful to look at, and damn right silly. It's hard to imagine a horror audience it doesn't appeal to. So The Beyond it is, for me.

Grim
07-04-2004, 04:46 PM
I picked the Beyond. I don't really like Fulci as much as I used to, I guess the gore just started to get old and Fulci's films aren't really known for their intriguing plots. :p As for why I picked The Beyond, I think it was the best shot, and also the best acted. It plays like one long nightmare. Zombie, City of the Living dead, and House By the Cemetery are all good as well.

Midnight Buddha
07-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Of the ones i`ve seen

I voted for House By The Cemetery.

Although i do like Zombie too........

RyanPC
07-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Zombie is my favorite, followed by City of the Living Dead.

hell ya!
07-04-2004, 05:32 PM
The Beyond is his masterpiece followed by City of the Living Dead.

Lyle Horowitz
07-04-2004, 05:34 PM
The only Fulci films I like: Zombie, Four of the Apocolypse, and what I've seen from City of the Living Dead (I've got about a half hour left, haven't bothered to finish it, though!)

Cujo108
07-04-2004, 05:54 PM
City of the Living Dead all the way. Excellent and moody film that never disappoints in the slightest. A great score as well, probably my favorite Fulci score. The truly outstanding New York Ripper is right behind it in second place, and is actually very much on par with it. The also wonderful Lizard in a Woman's Skin is third, with One on Top of the Other and Zombie rounding out the top 5, and an honorable mention to the underrated House of Clocks and the awesome Four of the Apocalypse.

DefJeff
07-04-2004, 06:05 PM
I'm with Cujo on this one. COTLD followed closely by New York Ripper.

life_o_petey
07-04-2004, 06:41 PM
i voted for zombie since its the movie i came the closest to liking.

Anthropophagus
07-04-2004, 08:26 PM
I voted for Zombie, as I think Giannetto De Rossi's make-up effects in this film created some of the genre's most unforgettable zombies. I also like the whole voodoo angle, its more traditional than the usual chemical spill, virus zombie films like Hell of the Living Dead. For sheer creepiness though it is hard to top House By The Cemetary and The Beyond is very surreal and unique also. The New York Ripper I was not that fond of, a little too over the top sexually and that constant quacking by the killer was hilarious..just an opinion, enjoyed reading yours.

SaviniFan
07-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Zombie is my favorite, followed by City of the Living Dead.

I'm with Ryan. I voted Zombie, but City of the Living Dead is a close second. I enjoy The Beyond, but I kinda feel that's it's a bit overrated.

BloodMan
07-04-2004, 09:08 PM
Have to go with The Beyond. :) Love that flick! Just for that elevator scene where Warbeck tries to load the gun from the barrell... too funny. (Intentional though... well maybe not intentional... Fulci didn't notice I guess)

Crystal Plumage
07-04-2004, 09:16 PM
I voted House By The Cemetery.It's the first Fulci I ever saw.It has alot of atmosphere.The Beyond is also great,but my favorite (for now) is House...
And yes I hate the "Bob" dubbing too.But you get used to it during the movie.

fceurich39
07-05-2004, 12:12 AM
i am not a real big fan of itailan movies but i did enjoy very much zombie

Demon
07-05-2004, 01:10 AM
The Beyond is the best, buddy!!

Nemesis
07-05-2004, 01:13 AM
Have to go with The Beyond. :) Love that flick! Just for that elevator scene where Warbeck tries to load the gun from the barrell... too funny. (Intentional though... well maybe not intentional... Fulci didn't notice I guess)

it was intentional, i listened to the commentary the other week and warbeck mentioned it, he presumed it would be edited out.

As for my fulci experience.. its fairly limited at the moment. I've seen The Smuggler (contraband), The New York Ripper, Zombie and The Beyond.. really need to see City of the Living Dead and House by the cemetary.

I've never seen a Fulci movie that i've liked the first time i saw it. But every movie except contraband (which i've only watched once) i've grown to love on subsequent viewings. It took me 3 attempts to finally get through The Beyond.

As for favourite, that is a tough one.. i've disliked them all at one point or another and it almost seems like the one i'll like the best is whatever one i've watched last.. so i'll have to go with the beyond. (although Zombie has one of my favourite shots, where you see one of the first zombies and the camera zooms in and rotates around him.. hrrmmm maybe i should go with zombie.. no, i'll stick with the beyond

rhett
07-05-2004, 01:16 AM
...The Beyond. It's a brilliant film that displays great intelligence, and stupidity, at the same time. Equal measures ridiculous and scary, eqaul measures beautiful to look at, and damn right silly. It's hard to imagine a horror audience it doesn't appeal to. So The Beyond it is, for me.
So perfectly said dwatts. There are parts where I sit in awe (like the final shot) and then others where I laugh at their sheer ineptitude ("Do Not Entry"). The Beyond gets my pick as well, and it is probably my favorite Eurohorror film overall. It is tough though, because I think Don't Torture A Duckling is also a great movie.

old-boo-radley
07-05-2004, 02:31 AM
The Beyond is my favorite Fulci movie, and probably in my top 4 horror flicks of all time.

I have a real problem with people calling Fulci a hack or saying that he was a shitty director. Since when was there a real, original idea in horror? His films borrow from certain flicks, intentionally or not, I don't know, but how many horror movies can you watch and say that a scene doesn't resemble something in a flick you've seen earlier?

As for calling him a shitty director, you obviously don't want to like his films. Fulci is a fine director and master of mood and gore. True, his plots were simple, but mostly every horror flick is. Suspiria, for example, everyone marvels at it, but really, the plot is simple and nothing more than The Beyond had, the only difference is that in my opinion, The Beyond was actually interesting, whereas Suspiria looked good, had all the style in the world, but no substance.

indiephantom
07-05-2004, 02:42 AM
NYR is my fave and I make no apologies...I like most of his stuff. THE BEYOND is very good as is CONTRABAND, IMO.

bachmann
07-05-2004, 02:46 AM
zombie for me although i had a hard time deciding between that and the beyond. i actully enjoy most of fulciŽs flicks of the ones iŽve seen the only one i didŽnt like was manhatten baby

Nemesis
07-05-2004, 02:48 AM
I think my mistake with contraband was that i bought it solely to see the gore (such as the famous blowtorch/bunsen burner scene). As a result i didn't really pay enough attention to what was going on which probably explains why it was such a let down for me.

RyanPC
07-05-2004, 03:01 AM
I enjoy The Beyond, but I kinda feel that's it's a bit overrated.

That's the same way I am, however, the last time I watched it I enjoyed it quite a bit more than I ever have before. I still think it's a little overrated when people say it's Fulci's best, but it's not too far from it. :)

Jason25
07-05-2004, 03:06 AM
A Lizard In A Woman's Skin, followed closely by NYR and Zombie.

House By The Cemetery was my favorite for ages and it stil ranks high on my list.

adric
07-05-2004, 05:15 AM
out of the movies ive seen of his, i think the beyond was the best. the part i think that made it as favored as its become with people is the downbeat ending. i think House by the Cemetary comes in second then Zombie.

Nemesis
07-05-2004, 05:24 AM
for me, one of the biggest barriers in enjoying a foreign film is trying to understand what the hell is going on.. i think this is probably a combination of me a) losing interest and not paying enough attention b) poor subtitling/dubbing c) cultural/social differences d) because i'm a typical hollywood fanboi who hasn't been exposed to enough foreign films.

This is probably half of the reason i end up enjoying a lot of films only after subsequent viewings (where i've actually worked out wtf is going on)

Livingdead102
07-05-2004, 07:28 AM
My exposure to Fulci has been VERY limited--The Beyond, Zombie, about a third of City of the Living Dead, and I went with Zombie, mostly for my love of zombie films. I also feel The Beyond is overrated, and while it's a great film, some of the sillier bits tend to kill the overall effect for me (the wobbling toy tarantulas pretty much seals the deal as far as I'm concerned). I really enjoyed what I saw of City of the Living Dead and plan on picking it (as well as a few other titles) up sooner or later, but it may have to wait until I fill out my Argento collection some more and indulge in my newfound Mario Bava obsession a bit.

KamuiX
07-05-2004, 07:46 AM
It's all about The Beyond. Although to be honest, as much as I dog on him, I enjoy most of these flicks for what they are....gory and fun. I personally enjoy his gialli more than his gore flicks (Don't Torture a Duckling is one of my all time fave giallo films), but The Beyond just kicks ass IMO.

At least you listed MOSTLY good films. I've seen some real dogs from Fulci that aren't listed here. If you think some of these are bad, go watch Manhattan Baby. You might change your mind. Although I gotta admit, I think House by the Cemetery is god awful.

Swearboy
07-05-2004, 03:47 PM
I voted for Zombie. It was my first Fulci movie and the only one I have bought that I felt was worth the money I spent on it.

jasonmperry70
07-06-2004, 03:12 AM
My all-time favorite Fulci film has got to be The Beyond, followed by Zombie and House by the Cemetary. City of the Living Dead wasn't a bad film, it's just that I felt it was too dark and grainy.

Hellbilly
07-06-2004, 05:55 AM
The Beyond is his masterpiece, no doubt. Got my vote :)

Crystal Plumage
07-06-2004, 06:55 AM
My all-time favorite Fulci film has got to be The Beyond, followed by Zombie and House by the Cemetary. City of the Living Dead wasn't a bad film, it's just that I felt it was too dark and grainy.That's the Anchor Bay version.I rented the EC Entertainment one once which has a better picture.

old-boo-radley
07-06-2004, 09:17 AM
Can anyone tell me how good these flicks are, I'm thinking of buying them with my next cheque:
Demonia
Sweet House of Horrors
House of Clocks

Gore/nudity? Violence? Any good? ;) I know the latter 2 are TV movies, but read they weren't aired because they were too violent, so I guess there'd still be hope for gore.

Cujo108
07-06-2004, 09:28 AM
House of Clocks is a great little film. Very underrated, and its up there with Fulci's best if you ask me. Here's a thread I did on it a good while back:

http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=9380

I'll probably do a full review for it soon now that I think about it. Sweet House of Horrors is godawful, and possibly Fulci's worst film. Demonia is decent, but pretty lame at times.

jupiter2
07-06-2004, 02:17 PM
No offence intended - What is your opinion on this question. Do you think that Fulci is overrated?

dwatts
07-06-2004, 02:44 PM
--Demonia--
I don't know why, but I do enjoy this one. Everything that could be wrong with a film is wrong with this one.

--Sweet House of Horrors--
Snoozy. Really snoozy. Made for TV, and it looks like it should have been made for radio.

--House of Clocks--
Good idea, poor execution and a bit snoozy. Made for TV, and it belongs on TV.

The only one of these with significant gore is Demonia. It has one gore scene that probably THE most incompetent bit of gore FX you'll ever see.

EDIT: --Do you think that Fulci is overrated?--

No fricking way.

6thdoctor
07-06-2004, 03:05 PM
House By The Cemetery got my vote. At the time I saw it it seemed like a refreshing change. It still has the highest rewatchability factor out of all listed IMHO.

Vinman6
07-06-2004, 05:51 PM
City of the Living Dead got my vote... True, the Beyond, and House by the Cemetary are a close second, COTD has sentimental value that edges it into 1st place.. I remember a buddy and I secretly renting that one (under the guise of "the Gates of Hell") in the early 80's and watching it at 3 in the morning at his place after sneaking shots of liquor from his parents... it put the flick in the back of my brain for years and years afterwards... and was pretty damn cool to boot! Many years later I re-discovered it on dvd and finally got to see John Morghen's head drilled!!

Atmims
07-06-2004, 08:56 PM
Demonia - There's one great gore scene in this that caught me off guard, otherwise I didn't care for it.

Sweet House of Horrors - Charming story, but done pretty poorly. Little gore.

House of Clocks - This is the only one of the three I'd care to revisit. Great idea and entertaining, but still one of Fulci's lesser films IMO.

Evil Dead Guy
07-07-2004, 05:12 AM
The Beyond - 10 /10
House By the Cemetery - 10 / 10
Zombie - 9 / 10
Demonia - 0 / 10
Nightmare Concert - 2 / 10
A Touch of Death - 8 / 10
House of Clocks - 1 / 10
Zombi 3 - 6 / 10
City of the Living Dead - 9 / 10
The Red monks - 0 / 10

These are the only ones I've seen so far -

Evil Dead Guy
07-07-2004, 05:14 AM
Oh yeh , The Beyond got my vote .

Gothic Queen
07-07-2004, 07:50 PM
I've gotta say House by the cemetery was my pick of these goodies. The basement scene gave me chills and put an evil smile on my face.

cw1972
07-09-2004, 07:16 PM
No Cat in the Brain/Nightmare Concert???? ok, I know it is recycled effects and that but it's one of my faves.

I've seen pretty much all of Fulci's not-made-for-TV films made since Lizard in a Womans Skin (highly underrated in my opinion), Don't Toture a Duckling is pretty damn good too. (spoiler removed and apologies to the board admins)

I voted The Beyond mainly for the ending... bizzarre but classic, the melting of the lil' girls head is a damn fine special effect too.

Crystal Plumage
07-09-2004, 07:25 PM
cw1972 please lose the spoiler for Don't Torture A Duckling.There are still people who haven't seen it!!Rule no1 here:never tell the ending of a film especially Gialli unless announced specifically!!
Thanks for listening and welcome.You're gonna like it here :)

cw1972
07-09-2004, 08:32 PM
Cheers for the welcome Crystal :)

I'm sure I will like it here. I've been a big fan of horror in general since around 1990 and during the years 1990-1996 ammassed a huge collection of about ~350 films. Got back into it recently when I brought all my films from my parents house and have the collecting bug again.

I found this site while looking for a copy of an old spoof horror film (yes I like those too) called The Hand of Death Part 25 - Jackson's Back and managed to find a copy on ebay, along with a nice new copy of Joe D'amato's Beyond the Darkness.

I got the horror bug again.

DVD Connoisseur
07-10-2004, 11:48 AM
My vote's for The Beyond. This film was my introduction to Fulci and blew my socks off. Still does.

Also love Don't Torture...., City and New York Ripper. Will have to give my Zombie LD another spin...didn't really hit the spot last time I watched it.

tejor
07-10-2004, 01:37 PM
I love Zombie the best. It was the only one I was able to see in a theatre and it always brings back great memories. Parts of City of the Living Dead were filmed where I live so thats also on the must see list (not to mention the drill scene of course), wish I could have been in it

zombee
08-12-2004, 10:20 PM
Of those I've seen, I went with The Beyond.

Morg
08-12-2004, 11:02 PM
The Beyond is a standout. Zombie a close second.

moogong
08-12-2004, 11:09 PM
House by the Cemetery. Is it okay to root for a child to get the axe?

thrashard76
08-12-2004, 11:13 PM
Still going with The Beyond followed by Zombi 2 then City Of The Living Dead.

Cyberdemon
08-13-2004, 12:28 AM
Although I'm a huge Fulci fan, I find that he excels at being a "scene" director.
The splinter in the eye in Zombie
The drill through the head in City
The vomiting of the entrails in House
The chain whipping in Don't Torture
The eyeball razor in NY Ripper

Just my 2 cents...

Atmims
08-13-2004, 01:55 AM
Those specific scenes are all great, but for me it's the atmosphere he created in his films. That to me is where Fulci truly excels.