PDA

View Full Version : Dario Argento: An Eye for Horror

AceRimRat
08-07-2001, 10:29 PM
DVDEmpire, where I do most of my online buying, has a disc called "Dario Argento: An Eye for Horror" on their future release schedule, slated for Oct. 9. Looks like a 60-minute documentary, but is listed as widescreen.

1997 release, an Image disc. Here's the description:

Brilliantly mixing gore, vivid colors, and twisting stories filled with black-gloved murderers and dashes of the supernatural, Dario Argento's films have combined the best of horror and art house cinema. For over thirty years Argento has produced one classic shocker after another, such as Deep Red, Suspiria, Tenebre, and Opera. Now go behind the scenes and learn the dark secrets behind Argento's movie alchemy, including his striking rock-influenced music, groundbreaking special effects, dizzying camera work, and haunting imagery, from his early mystery masterpieces to his latest thriller, Sleepless.

Now I don't know how a '97 release can talk about Sleepless, and honestly, I don't know anything about the disc or doc.

Any help?

Paff
08-07-2001, 11:21 PM
That's the docu they showed on IFC earlier this year. I don't know where they got "1997" from.

It's a fair documentary, but nowhere near as good as World of Horror or Master of Horror. In fact, they should be trying to release the Master of Horror documentary first (as of now, it's only available on import laserdisc). It has some fantastic behind-the-scenes details on Opera. In fact, I'd bet that some or all of those scenes end up on the upcoming release of Opera, since both the Phenomena and Tenebre discs from AB contain Master of Horror excerpts.

But Eye for Horror is pretty talky. I'll get it to complete my Argento documentary collection, but the other two are way better.

Mario77
08-08-2001, 11:44 AM
An Eye For Horror is worth getting. Like Paff said, it's nothing special, but I enjoyed it well enough. I actually liked the fact that it's a little talky; not that more behind-the-scenes stuff wouldn't have been great, but it is pretty engaging talk nonetheless. A must for Argento fans.
Let's hope Master of Horror comes arrives on DVD very soon.

crank
08-08-2001, 12:58 PM
I personally enjoyed An Eye for Horror. Imagine an A&E Biography for Dario Argento. Alot of info on the whole of his life, as well as behind the scenes stuff for I Can't Sleep. The disc I'm really looking forward to is the Mario Bava, Maestro fo the Macabre. That should be cool, I mean there have been TONS of documentarys on Argento, but we havn't seen nearly enough on Bava.

crank

Mario77
08-08-2001, 01:04 PM
YES crank!!! You are soooo right! I can't wait for the Bava "Maestro of the Macabre" DVD.
It's pretty typical of Mario's life though, don't you think? The poor genius never got the recognition he deserved when he was alive - it's about g-damn time he got some long overdue postmortem praise! He's probably laughing in his grave.

Andrew
08-09-2001, 01:36 AM
I've been eyeing World of Horror for awhile, but I think $30 for a 77min docu is a little steep.

Hey, wouldn't it be great if they put all three on one disc?? It'd never happen, but hey, I can hope.