PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Clark/Ormsby film?

rhett
07-11-2004, 07:28 PM
Although largely unnoticed by many horror fans, Bob Clark and Alan Ormsby have collaborated to bring a number of highly original and influential horror films to North American audiences. The Blue Underground release of Deathdream (recently reviewed here (http://www.horrordvds.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewreview&op=lastreview&id=119)) marks the last of their films to be released on DVD. So which one of these fine films is your favorite?

life_o_petey
07-11-2004, 07:47 PM
i haven't seen Deathdream yet, but Black Christmas is one of my favorites, so that will get my vote. Its the only movie i've watched several times that still creeps me out every time.

betterdan
07-11-2004, 07:54 PM
How did Ormsby have anything to do with Black Christmas?

evildeadfan123
07-11-2004, 07:58 PM
Black Christmas, but also, Children Should'nt Play With Dead Things was good, also.

rhett
07-11-2004, 08:31 PM
How did Ormsby have anything to do with Black Christmas?
Ormsby gets no on-screen credit, but the two of them were both situated in Toronto throughout '73-'74, working together on post-production on DERANGED right around when CHRISTMAS was being shot (also in Toronto). I thought since it was such a constrained timeframe that the two were basically sucking creative juices from one another (like say Tarantino and Avary), so I included BLACK CHRISTMAS as well.

RyanPC
07-11-2004, 11:15 PM
Black Christmas is one of the best films ever made. None of the others on that list even come close... except maybe Deathdream, which I haven't seen yet but have read comments that lead me to believe it's a masterpiece.

agentc
07-11-2004, 11:32 PM
Black Christmas is my favourite but Deathdream is great too. It has alot of the same creepy atmosphere and a similar score too.

indiephantom
07-11-2004, 11:50 PM
I said Popcorn. Mostly because of Jill Schoelen. Have only seen that and BC. Both are decent.

Tawny
07-12-2004, 01:30 AM
I had no idea that Bob Clark had anything to do with Popcorn. I see his name nowhere on my dvd. What did he do exactly?

betterdan
07-12-2004, 01:39 AM
Bob Clark was one of the producers on Popcorn.

Cujo108
07-12-2004, 02:24 AM
Black Christmas definintely. Its my fourth favorite film of all time, and is such a brilliant classic. I'm disappointed that Deathdream has no votes at this point, as its easily the second best, and is the only other film that can actually rival BC.

except maybe Deathdream, which I haven't seen yet but have read comments that lead me to believe it's a masterpiece.

Its a masterpiece alright. One of the greatest horror films of the 70s.

rhett
07-12-2004, 02:45 AM
I had no idea that Bob Clark had anything to do with Popcorn. I see his name nowhere on my dvd. What did he do exactly?
Like Dan said, he produced it, but removed his name from the credits because he felt it was too grisly. Clark seems to be a very squeamish guy, since he has said on various commentaries how he dislikes gore of any kind in his films, and also had his name removed from Deranged for the same reason he did for Popcorn.

Tuzotonic
07-12-2004, 03:23 AM
You can't go wrong in picking Black Christmas, one of the best horror movies ever made. I have not seen Deathdream yet but I hear it's also a classic. Popcorn is fun and underrated and although there are people who absolutely hate it, I really like Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things. I like the humor and atmosphere of the movie. I have heard rumors of a remake of Black Christmas and I think this would be a horrible decision. I know the movie is 30 years old but there is no way they can update it and improve on the original at the same time.

maybrick
07-12-2004, 04:30 AM
My first choice was going to go to CHILDREN but that was because I hadn't seen DEATHDREAM at that time. However, I just finished watching DEATHDREAM and I think it easily takes the #1 position. VERY spooky atmosphere. Andy creeped me out!

I've only seen BLACK CHRISTMAS twice, and while it was better the second time around, it just didn't appeal to me very much. The behavior of too many characters was too illogical for me. Having Margot Kidder as the star didn't help. That woman has always looked too old, especially to play a sorority sister, like she's been smoking since she was 9.

marioscido
07-12-2004, 06:00 AM
'Deathdream' - hands down. One of the most important horror films from the 1970s. People are now just starting to discover this masterpiece, thanks in part to BU.

BloodMan
07-12-2004, 06:03 AM
Black Christmas
Really enjoy this flick. Those phone calls are damn awesome and there are also a few really funny things sprinkled throughout the flick. (mostly with the cops) :)

Evil Dead Guy
07-12-2004, 07:00 AM
Black Christmas - In my own opinoin the best Canadian horror film ever made , Deathdream would be my second choice though .

Jamm
07-12-2004, 07:25 PM
I think you all must know what my vote is!!!

fceurich39
07-12-2004, 07:29 PM
without a doubt black christmas is cool by me

Wermode
07-12-2004, 11:58 PM
I like them all but Black Xmas most. CSPWDT I like least, because Orsmby's character is pretty annoying... ;-)

Atmims
07-13-2004, 02:10 AM
I voted for CSPWDT mainly because of the characters, they were all likable weirdoes to me. Especially Ormsby's character.

Tuzotonic
07-13-2004, 04:32 AM
I like them all but Black Xmas most. CSPWDT I like least, because Orsmby's character is pretty annoying... ;-)

I actually thought the characters from CSPWDT was one of the highlights of the movie. Ormsby's character was such an asshole but you almost couldn't help but liking him. His wife seemed as if she was tripping the whole time (maybe she was) and the fat guy ( forget his name) was pretty entertaining as well. Then there is Orville. What a performance he turned it. :banana:

Gothic Queen
07-14-2004, 02:21 PM
I think this vote was too easy, Black Christmas is a childhood favourite. This film was the beginning of many a drunk Black Christmas parties for my friends and I; a tradition that will never die.

speanroc
07-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Black Christmas is one of the best films ever made. None of the others on that list even come close... except maybe Deathdream, which I haven't seen yet but have read comments that lead me to believe it's a masterpiece.

DEATHDREAM is a masterpiece

ducktree
07-14-2004, 03:26 PM
I haven't seen Deathdream, and what is Deranged? Not that film about or inspired by Ed Gein is it? Black Christmas easily gets my vote though, that film is incredible and being a nerd, I only watch it during the holiday season. I guess that's macabre in a merry sort of way.

speanroc
07-14-2004, 03:30 PM
deranged is the ed gein inspired film

Tuzotonic
07-14-2004, 08:12 PM
Is it just me or do Clark and Ormsby deserve much more credit than they get? I liked their films a lot and think they are much more creative than some of the bigger name directors or writers. (insert your own vote for overrated director/writer here.)

WesReviews
07-16-2004, 12:41 AM
Definitely Black Christmas, but Popcorn is really fun. :)

I need to pick up Deathdream.

mcchrist
07-16-2004, 02:14 AM
Deranged...

This was a hard one because I love CSPWDT just about as much, but there were a few things that tipped the scales towards Deranged.

Curt Duncan
07-18-2004, 03:43 AM
Halloween has lost alot of it's bite with me over time, but I still find Black Christmas just as creepy, even after multiple viewings.

I watched Deathdream for the first time last night and I was just floored by how creepy and atmoshperic it was. One of the reasons why I picked it up was beacause Bob Clark directed it and I am a big fan of Black Christmas and Murder by Decree.

Deathdream gets 9/10 from me.

tim
07-18-2004, 05:53 AM
You left out one of the scariest films they did together...

Porky's II: The Next Day

Yikes! :eek1: