PDA

View Full Version : The Eye 2 (2004)

Hellbilly
07-14-2004, 07:53 PM
"Besides every pregnant woman stands a spirit awaiting reincarnation"

The Eye 2 tells the story of Joey Cheng (beautiful, hot, gorgeous and sexy: Shu Qi), a young troubled woman about to commit suicide.
She gets rescued and after recovery finds out she's pregnant ... and able to see ghosts. Not just any kind of ghosts.
Spirits that have evil on their minds ... or do they?

---------------------------------------------

First things first. Any film that catches me off guard with a good jump scare gets a huge fat http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/images/icons/icon14.gif on my behalf.
The Eye did it, and The Eye 2 managed to do it as well. Twice.
Nope, make that three times.
;)

I'm aware that a good jump scare doesn't make a good movie but hey, this film wasn't bad. A bit heavy on the yucks in the first half and surprisingly bloody in the second, The Eye 2 delivers the creepy goods, has nice pacing, great visuals and an interesting story.
As much as I enjoyed the first one I think the Pang Brothers did the right thing by giving us a completely new and fresh story here. Not as dramatic or deep as the first one - I'll admit The Eye 2 is a bit flashy - but not just pure eye candy either. We care (well I did) about Joey even though there isn't much background story on her. Ok performance by Shu Qi though, doing a fine job playing a woman on the verge of insanity. We also learn a thing or two about those "new" spirits and it amazes me how somebody can actually turn this ... weirdness ... into something menacing (won't tell :p ).

Recommended viewing. I really had a good time watching.

p.s. Hard to top the elevator scene in the The Eye but there's another one in The Eye 2 that came pretty close.

Oh yeah, some advice if you happen to be female (and possibly pregnant):

Watch this movie only with your legs tightly crossed! :nervous:

http://www.fabpress.com/artwork/large/DVD108.jpg

Hitting DVD three months after it's theatrical run The Eye 2 (R0 / NTSC) comes with a cool shiny cardboard slipcase. Menus are in English which makes navigating easy, and Cantonese (or Mandarin? No idea ...)

Video: Presented in anamorphic widescreen (1.85:1) this is a gorgeous looking print. Nice colors, sharp image, you name it.

Audio: Cantonese DD 5.1 / Cantonese dts 5.1 / Mandarin DD 5.1.
Audio (Cantonese DD 5.1) was pretty good!
I imagine those jump scenes wouldn't have half the impact watching this film without a kick ass home theater system. There's some activity from the rear speakers but not really that much. Dialogues are sometimes a bit hard to understand (refering to the volume, not language).
Subtitles: Traditional Chinese / Simplified Chinese / Dumb English ;)

Extras: A (English written) synopsis of the movie / Alternate Ending (looked interesting but sadly no subs) / Making of (no English subs, only checked a few minutes) / Theatrical Teaser & Trailer / (Funny & bizarre) Trailers from other movies (Golden Chicken 2 or something like that :D ).

moogong
07-14-2004, 08:05 PM
Aww Helly...you have got me jazzed for this! Thanks for review!!

DefJeff
07-14-2004, 08:13 PM
Yeah, thanks for the great review Helly!

You know I was telling you I wasn't sure if I should pick this up or not, now you got me excited to check it out. I am going to add it to my next order.

Hellbilly
07-18-2004, 10:59 AM
Ah, this film was actually better the second time around :)
Second viewings sometimes work miracles. Noticed some stuff I missed the first time due to subtitle reading heh.

RFinterference
07-18-2004, 11:49 AM
I was surprised that I actually liked this one a little more than the first. The first just didn't do it for me for whatever reason. Shu Qi's performance was better than OK, I thought she was very good! I didn't care for the ending of this one though.. actually that was a problem with the first one too..

shift
07-19-2004, 07:55 AM
Thanks man 4 the review!! I swooped this same dvd (picture above like yours) off Ebay for a woooping 7.99 Shipped. Can't wait to see it!!

thrashard76
07-20-2004, 09:27 AM
Ah, nice one Helly. The first one was an eye openner, so I am hoping that this one will be twice the experience.

Hellbilly
07-20-2004, 04:21 PM
Hope you guys pick this up soon and please let me know how you'd enjoyed it :)

DefJeff
07-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Helly, is there any difference between this version (http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/17639.html?id=9SN8JSQa) and the one that you have?

DVDAsian lists your version too, but they seem to be about the same. I can't tell if the difference is only the R3 vs All Region coding or what. Not to mention the All Region one is about 10 dollars cheaper.

Hellbilly
07-20-2004, 06:35 PM
I did notice two releases when I added mine to DVD Profiler.
The only difference I see is the R3 coding, more teaser trailers and Korean subs. The rest seems to be like the one I have.

I'd still go with the R0 one since it's cheaper.

Deaddevilman
07-23-2004, 09:20 AM
I was avoiding this becuase I have read nothing but negative reviews... until now. If Helly gives his seal of approval I have to pick it up.