PDA

View Full Version : 555 movie review

Big Bobby D
07-16-2004, 09:09 PM
555 (1988) Directed by Wally Koz
Reviewed by Big Bobby D

I felt pretty obligated after seeing this to write a review, because there's barely anything about it on the web. So, I finally got a copy of this rare gem and this is what I saw:

A maniac is stalking the streets looking for young couples in the act. After the killer does find a couple, he brutally butchers them and rapes the corpse of the female. The police are baffled and sickened at the same time over this case and only have one suspect (an old Vietnam Vet) and are being hounded by a nosy reporter. So, it is up to Sgt. Connor and his partner to find the killer before he strikes again.

The movie is pretty routine and could have had some great plot twists and sub plots but it did suprise me as to who the killer was (in this movie it could have been anyone)

The s.o.v. quality of the movie is pretty bad. I wish that this could have been shot on 16 mm, or even 8mm, and the videography is pretty boring, because there are no pans or inventive camera shots, just simple straight ahead tripod shots. And the movie never really explains what the 555 of the title means- I think it is the killer's pattern- every 5 years on the 5th month for 5 days the killer kills one couple a night.

After wanting to see this movie for quite some time, I finally obtained a copy. Since this is a late '80's s.o.v. slasher flick, I wasn't expecting much, but ended up being quite surprised. I found this to be one of the best s.o.v. horror movies I've ever seen. The acting was pretty good for this type movie, far surpassing that of a Troma movie. The special make-up effects were also well done for the budget that this movie had (courtesy of Jeff Seagall who worked on Re-Animator) A lot of the killings are just shots of a screaming topless woman having blood sprayed upon her chest, but every now and then a fairly gory one will pop up such as a knife through the throat, a throat slashing, and a couple of women being stabbed in the torso (topless naturally) and the greatest death scene in the movie has a young man getting up to smoke a "doobie", as the killer sneaks up behind him, cuts off his fingers (like in The Burning) and then decapitates him. And if that's not enough for the poor chap, the killer kisses his decapitated head, throws it, and kicks away his headless body!

However, if you're looking for extreme gore, you probably should look else where. I's say that this movie is a tad gorier than the original Friday The 13th. And if you're not into "talky" movies, than this one's not for you- about 77 of the 79 minutes is dialogue, but I found it to be interesting none the less. The movie is full of great dialogue (just watch it and you'll see what I mean!) that even Quentin Tarantino might like to use (hell, there's characters in the movie Tarantino would probably like to uses like a cook with a mullet who smokes ciggarettes while cooking food!)

I really had fun with this one. I found it to be fun and I really enjoyed it, and if you're at the video store looking for some fun s.o.v. horror, and all that's on the shelf are movies like Blood Cult, Killing Spree, and The Ripper, take this one! You just might be suprised! I know I was!
:blabla: :banana:

Oh, I heard that this was one of the movies that Tipper Gore held up at a senate meeting saying something among the lines "This is the kind of media that should be banned"!-She justs needs to get a life and quit trying to ban every damn thing! :)

SaviniFan
09-25-2011, 02:35 PM
I've never seen this flick but apparently it is making it's DVD debut at next week's Cinema Wasteland. It's going to play for free in one of the movie rooms so I'll be checking it out first before considering a blind buy.

mcchrist
09-25-2011, 03:57 PM
DVD... debut!? :banana: This movie's rad! It is, even plot wise, like a nasty made for video rehash of Blood Feast. Replace a crazy Egyptian with a killer hippy.

SaviniFan
09-25-2011, 05:57 PM
DVD... debut!? :banana: This movie's rad! It is, even plot wise, like a nasty made for video rehash of Blood Feast. Replace a crazy Egyptian with a killer hippy.

Apparently to be in a limited release by this company, Massacre Video. A mcchrist recommendation is definitely a plus towrds me buying this. I'm looking forward to checking it out Matt. I'll be at Cinema Wasteland looking out for it.

Oh, PM me Matt if you want me to try to get you a copy. I'll see what I can do.

http://massacrevideo.com/site/?page_id=2

Body Boy
09-25-2011, 08:43 PM
I liked 555. Not as much as Sledgehammer, Video Violence or Boardinghouse, but compared to Night Ripper, Blood Cult, The Ripper and Video Violence 2, it's pretty good! The hippy was a unique killer costume.

baggio
09-25-2011, 08:54 PM
I've never seen this flick but apparently it is making it's DVD debut at next week's Cinema Wasteland. It's going to play for free in one of the movie rooms so I'll be checking it out first before considering a blind buy.

Shut your mouth!

This is coming to dvd? Pretty cool! Wally Koz signed my original VHS copy. So this will be a nice upgrade.

mcchrist
09-26-2011, 05:46 AM
Apparently to be in a limited release by this company, Massacre Video. A mcchrist recommendation is definitely a plus towrds me buying this. I'm looking forward to checking it out Matt. I'll be at Cinema Wasteland looking out for it.

Oh, PM me Matt if you want me to try to get you a copy. I'll see what I can do.

http://massacrevideo.com/site/?page_id=2

Sent a PM

Yeah, shot on video horror is a huge soft spot for me. This one is prime meat, I'm glad they kept the same cover art for the DVD. will look great next to Bride of Frank and Sledgehammer. Now if only someone would release Gore-Met Zombie Chef From Hell