PDA

View Full Version : laserdisc/dvd combo suggestion

Paul0889
07-23-2004, 10:51 AM
can anyone suggest a good ld player that also plays dvd too and also has an automatic flipper? thanks!!

Paff
07-23-2004, 04:15 PM
I highly recommend AGAINST buying a combo player. Why would you want one anyway, seriously? They only came out at the tail end of LD, beginning of DVD. You're actually wanting to buy a first generation DVD player? The $50 player at Wal-Mart will out-perform it DVD-wise.

Also, with the exception of some Japanese players, the best LD players were not the ones produced at the very end (when they were trying to cut down on manufacturing costs), but a couple of years before. Try a 1995-vintage Pioneer player.

But above all, don't buy a combo!

Dave
07-23-2004, 07:07 PM
I agree with Paff. Given how small some DVD players are now, there's really no excuse. Even those tight on space can get a DVD player the size of a small laptop.

Paul0889
07-23-2004, 08:20 PM
so a pioneer is the best to get? can u guys suggest any models cause im seriously thinking about getting a laserdisc player for the first time

chrishicks
07-23-2004, 08:32 PM
geez, so are you guys saying my pioneer dvl-919 or dvl-909 is junk? ;)

Dave
07-23-2004, 10:15 PM
I have the CLD-D606 or CLD-D604. I think it's the 606. The lowest end I'd recommend is CLD-D504. Pretty standard LD player but has the bells you want. CLD-D704 is probably the best that's within a reasonable price range. CLD-D606 is a good mid-range player.

SCHRAMM
08-04-2004, 09:41 PM
i still got the DVL 909-PIONEER and i never ever had any problems with it. so try to find this type.

Paff
02-09-2007, 06:57 AM
I wanna resurrect this thread, 'cause I'm having some problems with my LD player. Luckily, I know someone who still works on players, so he's taking a look at it for me. If it's terminal, I'll be on E-bay. Actually, I'm gonna try to pick up another high-end back-up player anyway.

Reason I bring this up is that while I'm LD-less for a little while, I can still watch DVDs. If I had a combi player, I'd be up shit's creek.

Dave
02-09-2007, 07:29 AM
I wanna resurrect this thread, 'cause I'm having some problems with my LD player. Luckily, I know someone who still works on players, so he's taking a look at it for me. If it's terminal, I'll be on E-bay. Actually, I'm gonna try to pick up another high-end back-up player anyway.

Reason I bring this up is that while I'm LD-less for a little while, I can still watch DVDs. If I had a combi player, I'd be up shit's creek.

Or you go spend $20 for a DVD player.

If you do need to get a new LD player, get the LD-S9. I still dream about the one I had. http://cgi.ebay.com/Japan-only-Pioneer-LD-S9-LD-Player-3D-Y-c-LD-G-MIB_W0QQitemZ9722891963QQihZ008QQcategoryZ3317QQrd Z1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

inkmachine
02-09-2007, 02:27 PM
I highly recommend AGAINST buying a combo player. Why would you want one anyway, seriously? They only came out at the tail end of LD, beginning of DVD. You're actually wanting to buy a first generation DVD player? The $50 player at Wal-Mart will out-perform it DVD-wise.

Also, with the exception of some Japanese players, the best LD players were not the ones produced at the very end (when they were trying to cut down on manufacturing costs), but a couple of years before. Try a 1995-vintage Pioneer player.

Are you crazy?? LOL

I've had my Pioneer DVL 909 ever since it was released and I have never had one single problem at all with it. It has worked perfectly.

Thats just the most idiotic comment ever. Simply do your research and you'll see that there are excellent combo players.

Paff
02-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Thats just the most idiotic comment ever. Simply do your research and you'll see that there are excellent combo players.

Idiotic in what way? I've done the research. The consensus is that combi players compromised both LD and DVD playback. Since DVD players are $20 like Dave said (and a $20 DVD player probably has more features and capability than the circa 1997 LD/DVD players), you're basically buying the combi player as a stand-alone LD player.

And then, you will find that dedicated stand-alone players were better than the compromised combis. Not that they combis are BAD, but they're simply not as good as 95-era upper end Pioneer decks.

The only thing idiotic is that people on E-bay are paying a lot more for 909s and 919s than the 704s and Elite 79s which are MUCH better LD players!! The combi players seem to have LD performance equivalent to the 600-level players, which are easily found at less than $100. But people keep wanting to dump $300+ on mediocre equivalents.

Sam
02-09-2007, 09:39 PM
I agree with Paff here. The early players were REALLY bad compared to most dvd players now. In fact, my first DVD player from 1997 has only composite and s-video out! :D Today you can get a player that upconverts and has component and/or HDMI for under $100 new. Comparing my old RCA from then to say a current Oppo player nearly looks like VHS to DVD on some movies. Huge picture upgrade. The Toshiba HD DVD players even go as far to matching over-the-air HD programming to my eyes for standard def dvds. I've had a couple of those combo decks (DVL-700/DVL-919) and they're a step backwards for PQ on both formats. A CLD-704 is the only minimum way to go these days on an HDTV or projector. Some will say even higher grade at LD-S9 or CLD-97 minimum. but they'll cost you. Build quality also is not great on the combos; doesn't mean you'll have problems down the road but they're not what I'd call a quality product.