PDA

View Full Version : What should be Carpenter's next SE?

rhett
07-27-2004, 10:55 PM
From HALLOWEEN to THE THING, John Carpenter's most popular films have received hefty special edition laserdiscs and DVDs. Many of his lesser works, like GHOSTS OF MARS and VAMPIRES, have also received special edition treatment. There remains, however, several of his films to not yet receive special edition treatment in North America (even despite Region 2 SEs of PRINCE OF DARKNESS, STARMAN and THEY LIVE). With Columbia's upcoming CHRISTINE reissue, the amount of Carpenter films still not released in special edition form is shrinking. Which of his remaining bare bones DVDs deserves a Stateside special edition the most?

DrGerbil
07-27-2004, 11:04 PM
Considering we will probably never see a R1 SE of They Live... Escape From LA and Starman badly need SE's. LA, especially, since it is non-anamorphic. :fire:

Myron Breck
07-27-2004, 11:10 PM
An extended edition of THEY LIVE would be awesome...the last ten minutes seem a little on the herky-jerky side.

SaviniFan
07-27-2004, 11:13 PM
My vote goes to the excellent Prince of Darkness. I think it's one of Carpenter's best efforts.

Grim
07-27-2004, 11:16 PM
An extended edition of THEY LIVE would be awesome...the last ten minutes seem a little on the herky-jerky side.

I don't think there is an extended edition. The cut we see is Carpenter's cut. Anywho, my vote goes to They Live as well.

Tawny
07-28-2004, 12:39 AM
I voted for "Elvis."

Damed
07-28-2004, 12:43 AM
Prince of Darkness.

I'm glad to have the current R1, but an SE would be fantastic.

wizzer
07-28-2004, 12:47 AM
i voted for starman. i want it to have commentary from john and kurt russel so they can talk the whole time about why kurt was not cast for the part of starman. :)

BloodMan
07-28-2004, 03:16 AM
Village of the Damned

fceurich39
07-28-2004, 04:20 AM
My vote goes to the excellent Prince of Darkness. I think it's one of Carpenter's best efforts.
agreed i dont think this movie get's enough credit or respect

Hellbilly
07-28-2004, 04:24 AM
Someone's Watching Me. That film needs to be on DVD.

Nemesis
07-28-2004, 05:09 AM
I was tempted to vote for They Live, but i already have the R2 with a commentary and a basic featurette so I'll go with escape from LA which currently only has a bare bones release.. another russell/carpenter commentary would be awesome :D

Tuzotonic
07-28-2004, 07:04 AM
I voted for They Live. I never get tired of seeing this movie and a commentary track featuring Roddy Piper would be worth hearing I think.

thrashard76
07-28-2004, 08:25 AM
They Live!

Nemesis
07-28-2004, 10:32 AM
I voted for They Live. I never get tired of seeing this movie and a commentary track featuring Roddy Piper would be worth hearing I think.

um, one already exists, it's on the R2 release of They Live ;)

RyanPC
07-28-2004, 10:37 AM
I admit, I'm the one who voted for Village of the Damned. That movie needs more love. :o

Katatonia
07-28-2004, 10:37 AM
I doubt the cheap goats at Universal will be releasing any SE's anytime soon for They Live or Prince Of Darkness.

However I'd love to see an SE for Prince Of Darkness the most.

Cujo108
07-28-2004, 11:04 AM
Prince of Darkness without a doubt. Its Carpenter's best film (tied with The Thing), and is one of my top 5 favorite films of all time. Sure, I own the R2 DVD with commentary. There's no way I'd be without it. Still, I'd love to see this classic get a slew of other features as well. They Live would be my second pick, followed by Escape From LA.

Gothic Queen
07-28-2004, 03:35 PM
I just got Prince of Darkness so I voted for escape from L.A. Actually releasing one for Prince of Darkness would be cool...

dwatts
07-28-2004, 03:48 PM
considering I really like only one of those titles, with MAYBE a second one if it cheap enough, then I had no choice but to plump for They Live.

PMcG_6
07-28-2004, 09:21 PM
I'm going to go with 'They Live'. But 'Prince of Darkness' is a strong second.

SwampThing
07-29-2004, 04:58 AM
I voted for Prince of Darkness. They Live! is in 2nd.

For Starman: SE i'm sure Columbia/TriStar will released it in 2005 with a new HD transfer (like Christine).

Dilmo
07-29-2004, 05:17 AM
I voted for Elvis. It was/is the best docudrama about the King, and was very well crafted by John Carpenter. The movie that started the Carpenter/Russell relationship. TCB ;)

Tuzotonic
07-29-2004, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the heads up. :D
How is it?

DrGerbil
07-29-2004, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the heads up. :D
How is it?
Its the best commentary track Carpenter has done, IMO. The transfer is decent, and there is also a (VERY) short featurette. :fire:

Blade
07-29-2004, 03:23 PM
I voted They Live. Awesome movie, and really deservers the royal treatment.

indiephantom
07-29-2004, 03:51 PM
They Live. The comm. exits on R2, so I don't think it would take as much to put one together. Although, I somehow doubt this will happen unless the rights get passed from Universal to AB, as was the case with Army of Darkness.

Tawny
07-29-2004, 03:52 PM
What about Elvis? That would be a perfect chance for a Russell/Carpenter commentary and its not even on dvd yet! I already have 2 versions of They Live and Prince of Darkness man, I don't need another one.

evildeadfan123
07-29-2004, 11:26 PM
They Live, with Prince of Darkness a close second.

moogong
08-01-2004, 05:50 AM

Yeah, its a pretty good release also. I would say Elvis...it was a favorite movie of mine when I was younger.

Jason25
08-01-2004, 06:12 AM
They Live

BrianR1982
08-01-2004, 03:38 PM
I also vote for They Live. I finally saw Prince of Darkness this weekend and was kind of dissappointed.

bigdaddyhorse
08-04-2004, 10:18 AM
Since I'm region free, I voted for Escape From LA which is so underrated it's a crime. I want to see al of them get the hook up though.
Check my old posts for info about even better French versions of They Live and Prince Of Darkness discs, although subtitles are forced on some players they have 5.1 soundtracks and more extras than the more common r2 SE's.

Evil Dead Guy
08-09-2004, 05:25 AM
I'd love to see a SS of They Live also Prince of Darkness .

It's me, Billy
10-27-2004, 03:44 PM
Well, since Christine just got a SE release and The Thing just got 16:9 enhancement, there are only two more John Carpenter films that I'm interested in seeing re-released on DVD.

They Live already has a great 16:9 Widescreen transfer, but it needs to be re-released as a SE with the John Carpenter / Roddy Piper commentary track that's popped up in other regions + whatever other extras are available.

Escape From L.A. needs a 16:9 transfer and a John Carpenter / Kurt Russell commentary track + whatever other extras are available.

eric_angelus
10-27-2004, 04:39 PM
Someone is Watching Me. Yeah its a TV movie, but I believe it was the last film he made before hitting it big with Halloween, and if I am not mistaken, this and Elvis are the only ones on the list above to not have ever been on video in any form (if they were on VHS they have been outta print a long time)...plus it is the only movie of his that I have never seen!

bigdaddyhorse
10-27-2004, 06:56 PM
I found a way around the forced subtitles on my French TL and POD discs, dvdshrink! I just re-authored the discs, didn't include the extra shit or audio tracks and greased the subs. Now I got 5.1 and commentary for TL (all fit with no compression), and 5.1 on POD (would have to compress a few % to fit comm. but since I have the real disc I didn't need to). Ironicly I can swicth them to NTSC using NeroVision (alledgedly, I have no proof that this works yet), but only my hacked player can read the discs. :rolleyes: I've tryed them on a few friends un-hacked machines and it's either error or this disc can't be played. I was gonna do a second disc for TL with the doc. and other extras, but the French subs are burned into that even though a subtitle track shows up when analysing the disc. I turned it off but the subs were still there on pre-view so I canned the idea.

Severn
10-27-2004, 07:54 PM
Since I'm region free, I voted for Escape From LA which is so underrated it's a crime. I want to see al of them get the hook up though.
Check my old posts for info about even better French versions of They Live and Prince Of Darkness discs, although subtitles are forced on some players they have 5.1 soundtracks and more extras than the more common r2 SE's.

You an I are in the same boat. I love LA and think it's VASTLY underrated. It's better then NY IMO. It's NY with all the flaws taken care of. I loved it and laughed my ass off the entire time.

Besides I'll love to hear another Carpenter/Russell commentary! :banana:

I have the R2 They Live! and POD DVD's also. I love hearing Piper's commentary. Simply awesome!

VIVA John Carpenter!

thrashard76
10-27-2004, 09:01 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a John Carpenters Vampires SE either.

RickMoe
10-27-2004, 09:35 PM
PRINCE OF DARKNESS all the way.