PDA

View Full Version : Maniac DVD Review

Mark Relford
08-12-2001, 02:52 AM
DVD Maniacs has an excellent review for the upcoming Maniac disc from AB. I can't wait to get my hands on this sweet disc!:D The documentary on Spinell sounds interesting.

http://www.DVDManiacs.net/Reviews/M-P/Maniac_1980AB.htm

Andrew
08-12-2001, 03:06 AM
Hmm...never seen the movie, was somewhat interested, now I have a good idea that it'll be a $15 well spent :D.

Yowie
08-12-2001, 04:40 PM
I've never seen it, but it sounds interesting and I'm a sucker for early '70s horror, so this is one I definitely plan on buying. (-Better do it soon I guess, who knows when these things go out-of-print.)

Yowie
08-12-2001, 04:49 PM
Sorry 'bout the fuck-up, folks. -The post above should've been in the Euro horror forum on the "Autopsy" thread. Don't know what happened there. Was apparently reading about "Maniac", and by mistake posting about "Autopsy" instead. Oh, well. (-I have seen "Maniac", by the way, cool movie.)

Yowie
08-12-2001, 05:19 PM
This is getting more and more embarrassing. There is no bleeding "Autopsy" thread in the Euro horror forum; it's "Anatomy", which I haven't seen, nor intend to. The titles are a bit similar and I keep confusing the two. And I thought I could read and write. -You're right, who cares. O.k., just so there's a purpose for this final post; the Spinell portrait sounds cool, and is the commentary the same as the one on the Elite LaserDisc ?.

Mark Relford
08-12-2001, 07:33 PM
Yep, it's the same one.

Trout
08-13-2001, 01:09 AM
I find it funny, but no one ever mentions that Spinell was in The Godfather.

This is one release that I am really looking forward to (even though I never saw the film).

rhett
08-13-2001, 03:09 AM
Yeah Trout, Spinell is usually just referred to as "that guy from Rocky".

This disc looks awesome! I've been waiting for this for awhile, and unlike the proposed Halloween release, this actually looks like a real treat. I love it how a lot of the supplements focus on the controversy regarding the release of the film, I think that is more interesting that the usual "I had a great time working on the film" stuff we usually get.

I wish that Maniac 2 teaser were on the disc though, but hey, we can't have everything! :)

Jason25
08-21-2001, 06:02 AM
The documentary on Spinell is amazing. I've been a long time Maniac/Spinell/Lustig fan and I am very happy with this Tin. The Spinell documentary really touched me and moved me, very well done. The film looks simply amazing. Anchor Bay has really set the standard in the dvd industry, they give us fans something special to look forward to with each release they put out, kudos to them.

Mark Relford
08-24-2001, 07:57 AM
Excellent disc! It easily beats the elite one. The Joe Spinell Story was a real treat, showing the many sides to Spinell. Not to be missed! Hell, it makes me want to check out The Last Horror Film. The commentary was a joy to sit through again. (Old friends waxing nostalgic over their departed friend and telling good behind-the-scenes stories.) It makes a perfect companion piece to the documentary.
The tin comes with an insert (Surprisingly, no booklet.) and the soundtrack. The soundtrack was decent. (Demented lullabies and menacing music to kill by.) The music works better in the movie.
AB did a great job on this slasher classick.:D Highly recommended.

mutleyhyde
08-24-2001, 11:26 AM
Man, I laughed so hard on that line! Yes, great insight in the Joe Spinell Story. I just got done checking most everything out tonight, and watched the movie itself last night. Ah, the memories! Did everybody catch the Easter egg? Go right at the first extras menu to highlight the X scrawled over the luscious Caroline Munro to catch an audio blurb from the Gaurdian commentary session by William Friedkin and Lustig praising Maniac. And I gotta agree with Mark on the soundtrack; it doesn't do too well on it's own, however, the movie couldn't do without it. I still like having the cd though, as I am a soundtrack freak. And yeah, where the hell is the "collectible booklet"?? Just kidding; I never cared for those anyway. Cheap quotes we've all read before with lots of teeny pictures. No thanks. I'll take a soundtrack cd over a booklet anyday. Unless of course those booklets start being well written and become insightful, exhaustive, informative pieces, like real liner notes. But, I digress...

Maniac was a party staple after all the amateurs had gone home, and it's nice to see such a top-notch presentation. Damn, just look at some of the trailers, and you'll see just how bad the film can look. The transfer is fucking great, a real treat to those of us who have lived with dark, sometimes indiscernable vhs copies of the past.

I'm debating watching the commentary now. Hmm, erm, okay, I'm going to! :) Who needs sleep? ;)

AceRimRat
08-24-2001, 09:24 PM
I got mine a couple days early (non-tin, at Borders) and watched it for the first time over the weekend (as I mentioned in another thread somewhere here).

I was surprised at how good it was - I mean, I know it's a horror classic, but so is Friday the 13th, and while I love that film, it's not exactly Henry V. But I digress. The point is, for a "cheapo slasher" it's a real scary film and you can really get into it.

And lord, that shotgun scene has to be about the sickest sfx I've ever seen, outside of the JC maggot bit in Phenomena. I don't know what was worse, seeing the fake head explode, or seeing what was left of it. Not only did it look pretty realistic (I've never scene a real exploding head, but I can guess), the camera angles capture it perfectly for the desired effect. In this case, me cringing and actually blurting something something like "Ow! Oh my God!"

Nice movie. I didn't find the soundtrack particularly memorable (not that it was bad), so I guess I'm not missing much without the tin.

Haven't watched the extras yet.