PDA

View Full Version : Halloween II DVD (Goodtimes Version) Review

wd40cloud
08-05-2004, 04:57 AM
Halloween II (Goodtimes Edition)

Specs and Features

93 mins, R, letterboxed widescreen (2.35:1), single-sided, single layered, Amary keep case packaging, Production Notes, Interactive Menus, scene access (18 chapters), languages: English (DD 2.0), subtitles: English, Spanish, and French

Film Review

What we have here is the original slasher film sequel. Only guess what? It was actually good. The film brings back the whole cast (with the exception of Nick Castle, the original Michael Myers, who is played here by a stuntman who is probably the best portrayal of Myers next to Castle) and a huge portion of the original filmís crew. It also brought back John Carpenter, but he only wrote the film, he had no interest in directing a sequel.

The film opens just as the original ends. After looking out the balcony to see that Michael has disappeared, the good doctor (Dr. Loomis) runs outside looking for him only to find a neighbor in the next yard complaining about being trick or treated to death. Then weíre stuck with the filmís opening credits.

The filmís main setting is the hospital where Laurie id being treated. Michael is also in the hospital, slowly but surely, killing off the hospital staff. Meanwhile Dr. Loomis now has the full cooperation of the police after the sheriffís daughter is found dead.

The only real problem (my personal opinion) is the secret revealed about Michaelís relationship to Laurie. A neat idea which was stretched far too much in future sequels. If they had just ended the series with film, I donít think the series would garner the reputation it unjustly deserves. NOTE: I will not spoil the secret for the 3 people reading this review that havenít seen the film.

Image Quality

As you may or may not know this is the first time Halloween II was released in widescreen on any video format in the United State, and the results are good. Although, this is far from being a reference quality disc, the image quality is acceptable for a film of its age and considering itís not anamorphically enhanced like the Universal reissue (which I havenít seen). Thereís the occasional speck and minimal grain.

Sound

Halloween II is presented Dolby Digital Stereo Surround. There is very little in way of channel separation. Adequate audio for an adequate transfer.

Supplemental Material

The only thing in way of supplements is several pages of Production Notes.

Final Thoughts

All in all a pretty good disc considering the company (Goodtimes). From what Iíve heard this release was a tad bit better than the Universal reissue, and a lot cheaper I picked mine up at my local Wal*Mart for a whopping $4.95. Sadly the disc is no out of print so it looks like if you want Halloween II on DVD youíll have to settle for the high priced Universal reissue.

fcalderon
08-05-2004, 05:38 AM
Nice brief review but I disagree about the Goodtimes release being superior to the Universal one, having that the last one features the Trailer as an extra plus the Cast & Crew Filmographies and the Production Notes (same as the Goodtimes release I guess).

And last but not least, I bought the Universal release at US$ 11 because the Goodtimes was OOP. :lol:

Anyways, the audio and film transfer must've been the same for both of them ... even the specs at the back of the case are identical (!?).

I can't wait for a special red-carpet release of this movie. An audio commentary by director Rick Rosenthal would be great!

Yours sincerely,
Franco

bigdaddyhorse
08-05-2004, 07:03 AM
When Universal first announced this dvd, it was slated to have comm. and deleted scenes. Then there some talk of Rosenthal working on a different movie and couldn't make it in to do the comm, so they dropped the deleted scenes as well. Hopefully it will still happen someday, but I doubt it will anytime soon.

rxfiend
08-05-2004, 07:53 AM
That different movie was Halloween Resurrection.

dwatts
08-05-2004, 12:15 PM
The R2 release comes with a commentary and has a rather mediocre anamorphic print. The commentary isn't Rosenthal though, and at times they try to be funny - but they're not funny.

bigdaddyhorse
08-06-2004, 05:57 AM
Rx, thanks. I thought it was one of the later sequels, but my drunken brain failed me last night.
Dwatts, it's the same 2 hacks who did a comm. on the Halloween 3 dvd in region 2 that I was dumb enough to buy. They are listed as novelists, which I figure either means they did the novel adaptations, or are a novelity act in the UK. Never made it through the whole comm., and the disc has other issues I shouldn't discuss since I want to trade it. Fuck it. It's anamorphic, but 1.78 instead of 2.35 and it shows. Worst of all, it's cut. The only redeaming value is a 5.1 soundtrack that does sound pretty good from the few scenes I sampled.

fceurich39
08-24-2004, 04:32 AM
halloween II should get a better dvd version better than the newer universal release and also should include the alternate/deleted footage
like the ending where jimmy survives and other little tidbits

RyanPC
08-24-2004, 04:35 AM
Nice brief review but I disagree about the Goodtimes release being superior to the Universal one, having that the last one features the Trailer as an extra plus the Cast & Crew Filmographies and the Production Notes (same as the Goodtimes release I guess).

And last but not least, I bought the Universal release at US$ 11 because the Goodtimes was OOP. :lol:

Anyways, the audio and film transfer must've been the same for both of them ... even the specs at the back of the case are identical (!?).

I can't wait for a special red-carpet release of this movie. An audio commentary by director Rick Rosenthal would be great!

Yours sincerely,
Franco

The transfer isn't the same on both discs, as the Universal is anamorphic. I think it's a pretty good disc, even if it's not packed with extras.

SaviniFan
08-24-2004, 06:44 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the GoodTimes DVD also allows the soundtrack to be listened to seperately.

17thJuggalo
08-26-2004, 06:02 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the GoodTimes DVD also allows the soundtrack to be listened to seperately.

I've heard this as well, but I have no idea how to do it.

RyanPC
08-26-2004, 06:04 AM
I've heard this as well, but I have no idea how to do it.

No, it plays the entire soundtrack on the menus.