PDA

View Full Version : Zombi 2 (Shriek Show) DVD Review

gorasu
08-06-2004, 07:34 AM
I haven't seen any DVD reviews of this up yet, so I thought I'd offer my thoughts on this particular edition for those of you still undecided on which DVD to buy (Blue Underground or this).

THE FILM
What can I say that hasn't already been said about this Italian horror classic? This is one of the shining examples of Italy's film industry for its period. Many have derided it for being simple and derivative, but its simplicity is one of its best assets. The voodoo angle is fresh, a welcome change from the rash of "biological" zombie films we've seen lately. The plot flows naturally, with only a few strange mistakes and implausible twists. The zombie/shark duel is a classic. The fiery climax is ambitious and fun. And that last shot... well, one may be able to see it coming (poster art, anyone?) but it still packs a wallop. An extremely entertaining movie, to say the least.

VIDEO
There have been many visual comparisons within this forum between the Shriek Show and Blue Underground transfers. While I'm sure the BU disc looks superb (haven't seen the transfer in person), the SS disc looks excellent as well. Colors are consistent and vibrant throughout, if a bit soft in places. Blacks are pretty solid for the most part. There are very few compression artifacts, if any, but there is some minor grain (this has more to do with the original film elements than the transfer itself). Overall, a beautiful job, if perhaps a notch below the BU release (haven't seen it, so I can't really comment).

AUDIO
The DVD boasts the original Italian as well as English tracks, both in 5.1 Digital Surround, 2.0 Stereo, and mono (6 tracks in all). I'm not an audio expert, but this sounds just as good as many of my other period discs. The audio is crisp and clean, especially the English tracks.

EXTRAS
If extras are your cup of tea, the SS edition the version to buy. First, on Disc One, we have a running audio commentary by actor Ian McCulloch. This is the same track as found on the Anchor Bay disc. Its pretty dry, and McCulloch doesn't remember an awful lot about the production, but it still has a few nuggets of information that may be somewhat interesting to a diehard Zombi 2 fan.
Also on Disc One we have Food for the Worms, a featurette that runs about ten minutes and features the opening scene zombie Captain Haggerty (yes, that's his real name- he explains it in the interview). This is a fun and informative little piece, as Haggerty tells some interesting stories about the on-set antics (including a great bit about Lucio Fulci) and the shooting situation in the Big Apple.
A still gallery is also included, which features over 100 different stills, posters, and video art. Unfortunately, this is not a traditional navigable still gallery, which means one must play it like a regular featurette. Very interesting, though, as it includes just about every still you could want from Zombi 2.
Finally, there is the original English-language trailer for Zombi 2.

The wealth of the bonus material is found on Disc Two.
The 98-minute documentary, Building a Better Zombie, can be played as a whole or as individual segments. This comprehensive piece features interviews from just about every major participant in the film's production. The movie's stars, special makeup effects, and production are all touched upon in detail, as are individual scenes such as the infamous "eye" sequence and the shark battle. We also get insight into the film's conception, the parallels to Dawn of the Dead, the score and the release. One of the most interesting parts of this documentary was hearing from the famous worm-eye zombie himself! This is certainly one of the more informative and enjoyable documentaries I have seen in a while, mostly because I never thought anyone would bother with such a massive project. Media Blasters certainly pulled out all the stops with this one.
Also featured on Disc Two is a little piece entitled Raising the Dead. A six-minute interview with the film's costume designer, this featurette contains some interesting tidbits of information. Unfortunately, the combination of the interviewee's thick Italian accent and his penchant for talking with a pipe clenched between his teeth makes for a difficult listen.
The last featurette in the set is entitled An Evening with Dakar. This is basically a short clip of actor Dakar (the character of Lucas) singing, combined with clips from the movie! A fun, if strange, little short.
Disc Two also contains a Zombie Trailer Gallery, with nine trailers from the Shriek Show catalog.

PACKAGING
Media Blasters really shines here, giving fans some beautiful cover art while still retaining the famous worm-eye zombie image we're so familiar with. The keepcase comes sheathed in a sturdy cardboard slipcover with stunning artwork. Inside, one will find a little chapter-stops insert, a booklet with imagery from Flesh for the Beast, and, best of all, a fold-out reproduction of the original Zombi 2 poster art, "signed" by Lucio Fulci! All in all, a great set for Zombie fans.

FINAL THOUGHTS
The movie is great fun, and the transfer is much better than anyone could have hoped for. Best of all, we get an incredible amount of bonus material (more than I ever expected, even a year ago when the disc was first announced). I haven't seen the BU release, so I can't compare the two directly. For those fans who already own the Anchor Bay disc, this is an incredible improvement and a worthy upgrade. A great purchase all around.

BloodMan
08-06-2004, 07:45 AM
Can you mention a lil on the second disc?

gorasu
08-06-2004, 08:27 AM
Can you mention a lil on the second disc?
Sorry about that- I slipped and hit "Enter" by mistake. Here's the full review.

bwana the clown
08-06-2004, 08:39 AM
Unfortunately, this is not a traditional navigable still gallery, which means one must play it like a regular featurette.

I have to admit, I much prefer still galleries in this format. Guess I'm just a lazy bastard!

Thanks for the review - so far it looks like I'm still leaning towards SS!

RyanPC
08-06-2004, 08:59 AM
I already own the BU and just purchased this from eBay. Can't wait!

BTW: Can someone post a screenshot of what the worm-eye zombie looks like today? I'm curious! :D

Ichi
08-06-2004, 09:33 AM
Mine shipped today!

evildeadfan123
08-06-2004, 11:23 AM
I order my copy from Best Buy, for store pickup, and got a confirmation e-mail, that my order was ready to pick up, so I will be picking it up today. I bought the BU's version last Tuesday, so I will have 2 copies now.

zombi3
08-06-2004, 01:42 PM
I got my copy of the SS disc in the mail yesterday. The movie looks and sounds great. Haven't seen BU's version, but I think I'll stick with SS for this one. The only hiccup I can report so far is a split second of pixellation right at the end of the Zombi 2 trailer, when Al Cliver fires the gun and the picture fades out. Anyone else notice this? No big deal really - very nice disc overall.

speanroc
08-06-2004, 01:46 PM
on screen title is??????????

zombi3
08-06-2004, 02:03 PM
Zombie.

speanroc
08-06-2004, 02:12 PM
i would have figured at least SS or BU would've used the original title.....i bet u SS re did the title the way they saw fit , they have a habit of redueing credits.........

1-beyond the darkness(smaller type)
2-emanuelle and the last cannibals(out lined credits)
3-zombi holocaust(colored all credits red, when origional credits r white)
these films have suffered from SS customizing the credits which r different from the original versions, i know these r minor changes , but changes none the less , i for one like my films in their most original versions.....sorry for getting off subject :)

dwatts
08-06-2004, 02:29 PM
I like OAR and all that. If I had to pick me least problem, it would be changing the color of credits, or the size of the credits size. I know people care about such things, I'm just not one of them. Therefore, I'd say the films don't "suffer" in this regard at all. I'd guess SS use the print they have, and don't color anything themselves.

hell ya!
08-06-2004, 04:27 PM
What happened to the outtakes that SS announced would be on it?

betterdan
08-07-2004, 01:36 AM
I guess the outtakes were takeouts. ba bump bump

Thank you I'm here all week :D

RyanPC
08-07-2004, 01:45 AM
I guess the outtakes were takeouts. ba bump bump

Thank you I'm here all week :D

*applause*

Have any more up your sleeves? ;)

betterdan
08-07-2004, 02:13 AM
What I have up my sleeve cannot be revealed at this time as it may shock you.

Mortis
08-07-2004, 05:04 AM
Just watch out for what's up his pant leg.

What I have up my sleeve cannot be revealed at this time as it may shock you.

RyanPC
08-07-2004, 05:32 AM
Just watch out for what's up his pant leg.

:eek2: :eek2: :nervous: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Bobby D
08-07-2004, 06:58 AM
Cool, I wasn't even aware that this disc was available. I've been to 3 stores that sell Shriek Show dvds (I went to Hastings, Best Buy and Media Play-all in the last 2 days) and have been on 3 online dvd stores and none of them had it. Then I checked X-Ploited DVD and they claim to have it for $23.00, so I guess I'll order it from them.
:blabla: :banana:

Mortis
08-07-2004, 07:17 AM
Order from Best Buy, dude. It's $14.99 with free shipping and it's in stock as of right now.

Cool, I wasn't even aware that this disc was available. I've been to 3 stores that sell Shriek Show dvds (I went to Hastings, Best Buy and Media Play-all in the last 2 days) and have been on 3 online dvd stores and none of them had it. Then I checked X-Ploited DVD and they claim to have it for $23.00, so I guess I'll order it from them.
:blabla: :banana:

rxfiend
08-07-2004, 07:47 AM
i'm gonna look for this dvd tomorrow. i hope i find it, if not, i guess i'll order it online. i can't wait to check out the material on disc 2!

Dilmo
08-07-2004, 08:36 PM
Order from Best Buy, dude. It's $14.99 with free shipping and it's in stock as of right now.
Just placed my order. Unbelievable price! :banana:

psychokat
08-09-2004, 12:38 AM
hello everybody,
i'm new here. i've got a question about the SS version of zombi 2.
how in the hell do i access the easter egg on the first disc? also, is this the only easter egg on the set?
thanks in advance! can send reply privately if desired.

Mark Relford
08-10-2004, 02:48 AM
hello everybody,
i'm new here. i've got a question about the SS version of zombi 2.
how in the hell do i access the easter egg on the first disc? also, is this the only easter egg on the set?
thanks in advance! can send reply privately if desired.

There's an easter egg?! :confused: I checked both discs and couldn't find any.

betterdan
08-10-2004, 03:05 AM
There is one on the BU disc but I haven't heard of one on the SS release.

RiverEuphrates
08-10-2004, 03:07 AM
Nice - My copy came in the mail today from Best Buy. Very nice packaging job.

Shannafey
08-10-2004, 03:10 AM
Got mine today, but haven't put it in yet. Don't know about an easter egg, but here's the one on the BU disc:
http://www.dvdreview.com/eastereggs/collect/601.html

psychokat
08-10-2004, 09:53 AM
i appreciate the reply guys.
found the one on the blue underground disc,pretty nice one too!
i could have sworn that someone on another thread said there was an easter egg for alternate credits on the first disc of the SS set. maybe i read it wrong.
anyway, they didn't explain how to find it and i searched the shit out of both discs :D
btw what the hell is this for :sperm: hahahhaha j/k

Max70
08-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Hi! Is the SS dvd a Region 0?

zombi3
08-10-2004, 01:02 PM
No, it's region 1. I think the BU disc is R0.

Guyver99
08-16-2004, 12:47 AM
btw what the hell is this for :sperm: hahahhaha j/k

Uh, ask your parents. :lol:

zombi3
08-16-2004, 03:18 PM
i could have sworn that someone on another thread said there was an easter egg for alternate credits on the first disc of the SS set. maybe i read it wrong.
anyway, they didn't explain how to find it and i searched the shit out of both discs :D

On disc one, click on features, then hit "6" on your remote. A red skull will appear in the upper right hand corner of the screen and that will take you to an alternate opening credit sequence with the title "Zombi 2" as well as an alternate end credit sequence.

Silent Noize
08-16-2004, 11:10 PM
I got my SS DVD in the mail today. I am really impressed by it. The pic quality isnt to bright at all like everyone says, it looks perfect. Prob the best it has ever looked. The sound is just as impressive, i was really glad to see the original mono track on there. :)

BoredSeal
08-30-2004, 07:48 PM
Are there some subtitles for Italian language track like in BU version?
And the picture between BU and SS release doesn't differ?

Shannafey
08-30-2004, 09:54 PM
Yes, there are English subs and an Italian language track.

Is the Italian language track actually the original track? Most Italian films are shot with all the actors speaking their native tongue. If that's the case, the American actors were speaking English. The dubbing on this film is fine! I finally watched my Shriek Show disc last night and it looks amazing!! I am so glad I got the 2 disc set. Haven't watched any of the extras yet.

Ash28M
08-31-2004, 12:20 AM
Yes, there are English subs and an Italian language track.

Is the Italian language track actually the original track? Most Italian films are shot with all the actors speaking their native tongue. If that's the case, the American actors were speaking English. The dubbing on this film is fine! I finally watched my Shriek Show disc last night and it looks amazing!! I am so glad I got the 2 disc set. Haven't watched any of the extras yet.

I was thinking the same thing parts of it last night. I think some actors are speaking english and some in Italian. Can someone verfiy this. Whats the best way to watch the film with subtitles or dubbed?

dwatts
08-31-2004, 12:25 AM
Yes, some are speaking English - some not. I grew up with the dub on this one, and have grown accustomed to it. That's what I go with.

Ash28M
08-31-2004, 12:38 AM
Yes, some are speaking English - some not. I grew up with the dub on this one, and have grown accustomed to it. That's what I go with.

Thanks Dwatts. In the Italian track do they use any of the real actors voices?

Andrew
08-31-2004, 12:41 AM
Ian McCulloch, Tisa Farrow, and Richard Johnson are all English speaking actors and their own voices are on the English track. Personally I'd rather have the three main characters' true voices than those of the other extras, but that is just me.

Ash28M
08-31-2004, 12:47 AM
Ian McCulloch, Tisa Farrow, and Richard Johnson are all English speaking actors and their own voices are on the English track. Personally I'd rather have the three main characters' true voices than those of the other extras, but that is just me.

If the main actors are using there own voices then i guess the English track is the way to go then.

Shannafey
08-31-2004, 02:47 AM
Yeah, I only gave the Italian track a little while and then switched back. There's no point in reading subs!!

Ash28M
08-31-2004, 04:25 AM
I just wish the dubbing wasn't so off on this film. I guess thats expected with most Italian horror films though.

Ash28M
08-31-2004, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I only gave the Italian track a little while and then switched back. There's no point in reading subs!!

Actually just finished watching it dubbed and I think I need to try it with subtitles as that is the worst dubbing job. It's annoying to the point that it takes away from the film. The few times I switched it to Italian the tone of the film seems a bit more serious and the acting was allot better even if its not the actors voices. Most Italian film I have come to expect bad dubbing but gees they really screwed that up. And what's with every time a zombie gets up the girls just stand there for an hour frozen waiting to get eaten. Run you idiot. Donít get me wrong, Itís is a fun little movie but in the extra's they kept going on about how the film is better than Dawn of the Dead. It must be along time since they have seen the film because there really is not comparison to the point that itís kind of insulting to Romero.

dwatts
08-31-2004, 08:51 PM
I don't know how many Italian films you've seen, but comparatively, the dubbing on Zombie is pretty damn good :D

Still, by the sounds of the othr things you've written, this really isn't a movie for you it seems.

Silent Noize
08-31-2004, 09:11 PM
Donít get me wrong, Itís is a fun little movie but in the extra's they kept going on about how the film is better than Dawn of the Dead. It must be along time since they have seen the film because there really is not comparison to the point that itís kind of insulting to Romero.
Ha! What do ya expect? Its not like they will say "yeah, we tried to make the best dawn ripoff we could. we even went as far as naming this the sequel. But somehow are movie still sucks ass compared to romeros masterpiece. damn, we wish we had made dawn" :p

Ash28M
08-31-2004, 09:20 PM
I don't know how many Italian films you've seen, but comparatively, the dubbing on Zombie is pretty damn good :D

Still, by the sounds of the othr things you've written, this really isn't a movie for you it seems.

It's not like i don't like the film, I do like it on a certain level. I just feel put better actors in there or at least better dubbing and it would improve the film 50%. I mean dubbing doesn't bother me in Argento films he's my favorite director and i just accept it the fact that it's going to be dubbed but i never feel like it takes away from the film like this one does.

Andrew
08-31-2004, 09:25 PM
I still think it's one of the better dub jobs, except it's painful to watch Fulci with the American accent. Ouch.

Personally aside from the obvious fact that there are zombies and the film was called ZOMBI 2, I don't see many similarities.

dwatts
08-31-2004, 09:33 PM
Yeah, the whole Dawn comparison thing is a non-runner. The Italians wanted to make a Zombie film - and the zombie element was the extent of influences. Personally, I prefer this is Dawn.

stinky787
09-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Hi, I just found this thread while researching which version of Zombi(e| 2) to get. Anyway as for the easter egg on the SS edition, apparently it lets you see the original Italian title and credits. I found it here:

http://www.dvdreview.com/eastereggs/collect/612.html

Anyway I guess i will get the SS version, after all 2 discs are better than 1. :cool:

Mortis
09-10-2004, 11:03 PM
I had the SS version, but I sold it. I'm going to buy the BU version now. The extras weren't as great as I expected, so I got rid of it. I wanted the softer, sharper image of the BU from the beginning, but those extras enticed me to get the SS one, so I watched the extras and got rid of it.

Anyway I guess i will get the SS version, after all 2 discs are better than 1. :cool:

JohnnyZombie
09-18-2004, 08:13 AM
I had the SS version, but I sold it. I'm going to buy the BU version now. The extras weren't as great as I expected, so I got rid of it. I wanted the softer, sharper image of the BU from the beginning, but those extras enticed me to get the SS one, so I watched the extras and got rid of it.
So BU has better transfer than SS?

Mortis
09-18-2004, 08:23 AM
The SS disc is brighter, but you lose some sharpness. The BU disc isn't as bright, but looks sharper.

So BU has better transfer than SS?

dwatts
09-18-2004, 09:54 AM
As lon as we note - the SS version IS sharp.

Crystal Plumage
09-18-2004, 01:09 PM
So BU has better transfer than SS?It's not a question of better,more what you prefer.Check this thread http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=20232&highlight=zombi to make your decision.
And JohnnyZombie,welcome to the board!(just glad you didn't start your own Zombi thread ;) )

tobaccoman
09-25-2004, 03:18 AM
I sold my AB releas when I heard that thes were going to be released so I'm sure I will be picking up one of the two! I would like to here your suggestions (I probably won't be able to pick it up for a little while though, so I will have tim to read your suggestions)? Right now I am leaning towards the Shriek Show relese as it has better supplements. I have heard that the BU release has a little better transfer, but I'm not too picky on that. Thanks for your input!?

wago70
10-04-2004, 06:46 AM
Although I have the great Blue Underground version, I found the SS version at Best Buy in San Francisco yesterday for only $14.99. It was the only one - I'm wondering if it was mismarked since the BU ones had the same price tag. Either way - it's Fulci...so having both is just fine with me. Love this flick!

Morg
10-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Although I have the great Blue Underground version, I found the SS version at Best Buy in San Francisco yesterday for only $14.99. It was the only one - I'm wondering if it was mismarked since the BU ones had the same price tag. Either way - it's Fulci...so having both is just fine with me. Love this flick!
Yeah, I did the same thing, actually closer to iit's initaial release date. I think I paid like just over a buck more for the SS, already had the BU. Man, I'm glad I ended up getting the SS, with all the extras and the poster and stuff. Felt like a kid in a candy store! :)

Dilmo
10-04-2004, 02:03 PM
I found the SS version at Best Buy in San Francisco yesterday for only $14.99.
I paid that much for it on their website. Great price.

wago70
10-04-2004, 03:48 PM
:cool: Well bite my neck...there's a poster in there! How cool! (I didn't even notice until just when I was throwing the celluphane away it was listed on that round sticker).

dwatts
10-29-2004, 08:33 AM
I watched this again last night. I don't know what all this talk about the SS disc being too bright are coming from. Looks perfect to me. I can't be bothered to fork out for the BU disc as well, but I've got to say, Zombie finally looks great and we should rejoice.

Mortis
10-29-2004, 08:29 PM
You'll notice it if you ever watch the BU disc. There are a bunch of screenshots in the old thread, too.

I watched this again last night. I don't know what all this talk about the SS disc being too bright are coming from. Looks perfect to me. I can't be bothered to fork out for the BU disc as well, but I've got to say, Zombie finally looks great and we should rejoice.

dwatts
10-29-2004, 08:33 PM
I saw the screenshots, but really, I never saw a problem in the film itself. Given that I watched the entire thing and never felt there was a problem, I decided that issues have been overstated. For sure, if I had ever considered getting the BU, that urge was satiated. The SS Zombi is great, I don't feel as though I need a replacement.... well before hi-def :D

Still each to their own.

Golgo13
01-07-2006, 03:02 AM
I must have incredibly bad luck with Fulci discs.

OK, here's my new problem. I played the disc today and selected the 2.0 Stereo English track. At the 1 hour and 8 minute mark (When the dude and chick are laying on the ground) the audio drops out for a good bit. Playback doesn't seem to be affected at all and the other audio tracks seem fine too.

Is this just me? I know a lot of people raised a huge fuss over the Day of the Dead "glitch" (which had a perfectly good excuse). This though just seems like pure ineptness on SS's part.

welb25
01-07-2006, 03:19 AM
It's not just you, Golgo. I have the Blue Underground disc but I remember reading at dvdcompare that there are a few dropouts in the English 2.0 track on the SS disc.

Golgo13
01-07-2006, 03:45 AM
Gah. I knew I should've picked up the Blue Underground disc instead. I'm not impressed one bit with the image on the SS disc either. It looks like a bad bootleg. :(

I've yet to watch any of the special features but I doubt any of them will be earth-shattering. I really wish BU was the company to get the 2 disc SE.

Golgo13
01-07-2006, 03:48 AM
Ah, here's the DVDcompare page on it:
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=1