PDA

View Full Version : Hannibal - who's excited?

Dave
02-04-2001, 06:20 AM
Manhunter DVD just came out (cuts and all). My Silence of the Lambs CC DVD is on the way (thanks for the trade Michael). Yeah, I'm excited about Hannibal.

I've always wanted to read the books, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Anyway, I hear the movie is terrific. Home Theater Forum (http://www.hometheaterforum.com) has a review up for it; sounds terrific.

Mark Relford
02-04-2001, 07:21 AM
I'm also excited about it. (The preview looks promising.) I like the majority of Scott's films. Even his flawed ones are interesting.

jeffschmidt
02-04-2001, 08:48 AM
The books are excellent. As great a movie as SOTL is, the novel is even better. When I read Hannibal the ending seemed a little off, but I'm still apprehensive about Scott changing it for the film. At any rate, I'll definitely see the movie.

Did anyone else think the Will Graham character from Red Dragon (I haven't seen Manhunter) had lots of potential? I was disappointed that Harris (the author) just kinda forgot about him in SOTL. I would have loved a Graham/Lecter showdown.

MovieFan
02-04-2001, 08:49 AM
I'm exicted about it also. I hope it lives up to the hype with all these reviews now saying that the last ten minutes are spose to be amazing.

The Chaostar
02-04-2001, 10:46 AM
I have seen the film.

I will not tell you anything about it (I don't have the right to spoil it for you), but I can tell you that is VERY gory!

rhett
02-04-2001, 11:00 AM
I can't wait to see it...but is it just me, or does it seem that Hopkins has aged a little too much from SOTL to Hannibal. He does not look near as mennacing in the previews as he did in SOTL. I hope this is not the case, and that the previews did not do him justice. I am a big fan of Ridley's films, although unlike the general public, I did not like Gladiator at all. Regardless, I can't wait to sit down and watch good ol' Mr. Fava Beans in action come Friday...

mutleyhyde
02-04-2001, 12:34 PM
Well Rhett, this IS supposed to be a kindler, gentler Hannibal ;) . Yes, I am excited. I'm a little put off by the fact they couldn't get Jodie to do it :mad:, but we'll see what happens. And all the books are great, except for the ending in "Hannibal". I've said it before and I'll say it again; it just wouldn't have happened. Not the way it was written anyway. Not with how strong the character in question's convictions have been so far. In this VERY special case, I fully welcome any interpretation Scott may add, but from what I've read over at Gorezone.com, one very unbelievable scene was left in. It's a very gory scene, so we should all be happy, but it's the outcome of that scene that will make this movie a winner or loser. Sorry if you haven't read the book and I seem like I'm rambling, but I'm just trying not to give anything away.

The Chaostar
02-04-2001, 02:15 PM
Mutleyhyde, the scene has been transfered in the big screen in it's entirety and believe me, it does the book justice! You can't believe how much it does...

fishhead
02-04-2001, 03:00 PM
I read a very detailed spoiler about the ending (no self control) and have gotten extremely excited about Hannibal. Bring on the gore!

David666
02-05-2001, 05:35 AM
As a huge fan of the novel, I am simply THRILLED to death that Scott opted NOT to alter the ending. I was grossed out, fascinated, repulsed and blown away by it in the book. No doubt I'll be just as so by the film. I was also thrilled that the studio did not cater to whinny assed Jodie Foster who wanted to change everything, and went with a much better actress. Hannibal is going to blow Silence of the Lambs away! :D

Django
02-05-2001, 10:39 AM
I need a spoiler review to read before it gets my money. :D

Manhunter, which I just watched last week for the first time, ruled so completely that it has forever ruined my opinion on Silence of the Lambs and Hopkins as Lector.

As for the new movie, the ending - or what I know of it - sounds totally whacked in a stupid way I hate to say. And I'm really not looking forward to hearing my Mom scream when she learns Liotta's fate which has been spoiled in every magazine I'd read lately.

And the trailer looks mediocre thanks to Hopkins' overacting. At least Moore is better in my eyes then Foster, but I can't say I'm there tickets in hand on Friday...

Rock
02-05-2001, 03:04 PM
Loved the book AND its ending but am holding off on the movie for awhile...I've been burned WAY too many times before...

jeffschmidt
02-06-2001, 12:58 AM
David666, the ending HAS BEEN ALTERED. I guess it's only slightly changed, but it is different from the book's. Scott said so himself in a Fango article; like a lot of people it seemed too farfetched for him. I loved the novels too & am curious to compare endings...

mutleyhyde
02-06-2001, 02:01 AM
From what I've gathered so far, the gruesome scene is left fully intact; it's the aftermath of the scene that's been altered. We'll just have to wait untill this weekend to see. By the way Indiephantom, I agree with you than egomaniacs suck, but I think lesbians are pretty cool :D !

indiephantom
02-06-2001, 05:58 AM
I don't know why anyone would want to know everything about a film before seeing it. How will you be surprised? Well, I guess to each his own...

I'm looking forward to HANNIBAL, although I don't consider SILENCE OF THE LAMBS to be a horror film. I'm personally glad Jodie Foster isn't in the film, as I think she's an egomaniac lesbian and have heard she's extremely difficult to work with. She hasn't been involved with anything decent since SILENCE. Julianne Moore on the other hand has an amazing track record and is a risk-taker too.

I hope HANNIBAL just doesn't go for cheap laughs the way some of the trailers have suggested ("I've considered eating your wife..."). Ridley Scott seems a cool choice for director, especially hot off of GLADIATOR. Who knows, this could be that rare sequel which surpasses the original.

AceRimRat
02-07-2001, 06:43 AM
I'm actually not super-excited about this one, because I really didn't like the book. I loved Red Dragon (Manhunter) and SOTL, but Hannibal just didn't do it for me.

That's not to say I won't see it, because movies can be better or worse than the books they're based on (I liked Red Dragon more than SOTL, but I like the SOTL movie more than Manhunter). And I know the one gory scene everyone's been talking about since I read the book (and an article with a spoiler) and that's not the part that bugs me. I just found the whole book sort of stupid and gratuitous and disjointed in terms of how it went and how the characters acted/reacted, etc.

So I'm probably not going this weekend, but if all the reviews are good, I might go sometime this month.

indiephantom
02-07-2001, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by mutleyhyde:
By the way Indiephantom, I agree with you than egomaniacs suck, but I think lesbians are pretty cool :D !

It's true. I've got nothing against lesbians...but I do prefer the Perfect 10 "fantasy" lesbians to many of the real ones I've come in contact with. :)