PDA

View Full Version : Deep Red question

keith70
08-13-2001, 07:52 AM
I have watched this film a couple of times now, but for some reason I just thought about this. What the hell is the deal with the puppet. I'm not talking about the dolls. I'm talking about the bucked tooth butler looking puppet. What controls it? Who created it? What was it's purpose?
Also, if you haven't seen this film yet, and you decide to pick up the dvd, watch the movie before you watch the trailers. The trailer gives away too much, including when the puppet comes out. The puppet is definitely a weird scene. I like it. But I don't understand it.

Mario77
08-13-2001, 08:43 AM
I think it's an extension of themes that can be found in all of Argento's movies; the world's an illogical place, full of random acts of irrational violence, and madness permeates from the very core of even the most seemingly innocent of places. It doesn't make much conventional sense that the doll comes lurching from behind a door on the opposite side of the room from where Marta is hiding behind the curtains; how could she control it? But within the context of the film, it seems appropriate. Marta is obsessed with things that are child-like; the lullaby, the doll hanging from the noose at Amanda Righetti's house, the demented toys we see in close-up "in her mind". I think you have to accept that Marta is responsible for the doll and it doesn't really matter how it lunged at Professor Giordani. You could find a thousand other illogical things to question within the film; but I think the that's the point. The film is built upon a foundation of untruths, seemingly pointless clues and random events. It doesn't make any linear sense to the audience (or the characters trapped in the film) but as a whole, the deep layers of imagery and subtext lend themselves to an explanation of the seemingly impossible actions of the puppet.
Besides, the puppet is really creepy.:eek:

Anyway, that's my two cents.

The Chaostar
08-14-2001, 03:26 AM
I will agree with Mario.
I can imagine Dario thinking "I've got to film this! This scene must be there!".
Nothing else is important I believe.
If we begin to seek logic in Argento's world it would be like blowing it to pieces. Sometimes nothing is really making any sense (even though Dario always has an explenation ready).
But we love him for that, don't we?

Suicide
08-14-2001, 04:54 AM
I was watching the movie and I got all excited because the music got all suspenseful, then this crazy ass puppet comes running out. I just looked at the screen and gave it a little Michael Myers sideways head tilt. It was quite creepy really. I actually watched that part with my friends little kid in the room. I think I was burping her and she just loved the music, she was bopping all around. Very cute. But anyway I've found that all the European horror movies I've seen have had lots of just bizarre parts in them. None of the bizarre parts usually make sense; the babysitter in House by the Cemetery acting all weird for no good reason is a good example. I think that the director's just go for a very sort of surreal feeling in the Eurohorror movies. You see alot of that kinda thing in some american movies like the Nightmare, or Phantasm movies as well. But I could be wrong. And I'm rambling so I will stop now.

skinnypuppy6
08-14-2001, 05:19 AM
its just a fucking wierd scene! :eek:

The Chaostar
08-14-2001, 12:34 PM
And guys, just think about the audiences in 1975....
The film is 26 years old!!!

ian
08-14-2001, 04:12 PM
i have to agree. it is a wierd scene, i was pretty puzzled by it the first time i saw it too, but the other posters are right in that it's probably best not to question why it's there, but just accept it as a truly terrifying image. i don't really know why, but that scene scared the crap out of me.

yxz54
08-15-2001, 11:06 PM
"What controls it? Who created it? What was it's purpose?"

You know I had these very questions running through my head for the whole time I watched Inferno?!?!?!

Best Scott

Man do I hate Inferno.

The Chaostar
08-16-2001, 01:16 AM
Tell me what you didn't get and I'll show you that it is explained in the film!
Sorry if I sound like a stupid snob or something - I'm not, I just love this film so much.

AceRimRat
08-19-2001, 09:31 AM
Giving it a second's thought, really, not that there's any nice way to get murdered, but I can't imagine many things freakier than getting attacked by something that's not alive.

I mean, think about it, you get attacked by a person, you know it's a person - and people kill people sometimes. You get attacked by a shark, you know it's a shark - and sharks kill people sometimes.

You get attacked by a self-propelled puppet, that's not just something normal - makes a bad situation even worse. That's probably a lot of what makes it so damn disconcerting in the movie.

The Chaostar
08-20-2001, 11:30 PM
Interesting thoughts...;)