PDA

View Full Version : First Hammer House of Horror review is in!

jae
08-13-2001, 08:42 PM
Posting a link below to Mondo Digitals review of HHOH. Check it out.. They also have alot of other cool upcoming DVD reviews like Theatre of Blood, Killer Klowns, Planet of the Vampires..

Hammer House of Horror review (http://www.mondo-digital.com/hammerhouse.html)

Ambeon
08-14-2001, 02:22 AM
I have them all on video, Carlton have released them.
But I must say that I was dissapointed.....

This is Hammer's worst movies ever made. Someone else that have seen them?

Comments!

/David

Yowie
08-14-2001, 09:16 PM
I kinda agree with you, Ambeon. Some of the episodes are depressingly awful, while others are pretty okay. Take the one with the family that moves into a haunted house, it starts off good but the ending is so utterly bad I almost screamed. There are a few other disappointing episodes like that. The best ones are definitely (in my opinion) the two with Peter Cushing and Jon Finch. I also used to like "Carpathian Eagle" quite a bit because it's the one I remember the most from when the series was shown on TV in the early '80s. I found it somewhat boring now, and I guess the reason I used to like it so much was merely because of the very hot Suzanne Dannielle. I can still see why, I must admit. -She was quite a stunner in those days. She also appeared in another British suspense series from that time, by the way; "Tales Of The Unexpected". Another twist-in-the-tale series with only a handful of good episodes.

jae
08-14-2001, 09:22 PM
I've never seen any of the episodes and now you guys have me thinking I should try and rent them first. :( I'm paying like 55$ for the box at DVD Empire.

Johnny Alucard
08-14-2001, 10:28 PM
Don't worry Jae. I think you'll find most of the episodes worth your time if you are a big Hammer fan. No they are not as good as most of the Hammer movies. It is T.V. so what do you expect but there are some good episodes, some average ones and some just so-so but they are all watchable and for $55.00 for 13 episodes its a good deal. Being the big Hammer fan I am I wouldn't be without it. It is certainly better than similar shows that followed it like Tales from the Darkside and Tales from the Crypt. Now those shows were mostly so-so with predictable and not satisfying endings.

jae
08-14-2001, 11:00 PM
OK I guess I should admit that I'm not a huge Hammer fan.. :o I love their Dracula and vampire movies, I really like the first 2 Frankensteins (even though I find the Frankenstein story boring these days).. The others I've seen like Plague of the Zombies, etc I'm sort of mixed on.

I do know that I read all the plot outlines to all the HHOH episodes in my Hammer book and most of them sounded good and interesting so I should be ok I think :)

carl.kolchak
08-15-2001, 03:29 AM
jae, you might order it from DDD, it's $33.58 shipped, can't remember who posted this in another thread, maybe mutley, but it's a good deal.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ANE070310

I'm looking forward to these too, have never seen them, but I bet at least half will be good. :) If not, at least I can check out who Suzanne Dannielle is and see if Yowie has a good eye for the chicks.:D

jae
08-15-2001, 04:42 AM
Yeah I probably should. How is DDD's track record? My thing is that I'm ordering a ton of DVDs on the 28th and wanted to get them all for an extra long weekend so I can check it all out. Just worried that DDD may not come through. Thanks. :)

I'm surprised to hear about all the nudity in these shows.. These were made for TV?! Did they have alot of nudity on TV in England back in 1980?

Originally posted by carl.kolchak
jae, you might order it from DDD, it's $33.58 shipped, can't remember who posted this in another thread, maybe mutley, but it's a good deal.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ANE070310

I'm looking forward to these too, have never seen them, but I bet at least half will be good. :) If not, at least I can check out who Suzanne Dannielle is and see if Yowie has a good eye for the chicks.:D

Ambeon
08-15-2001, 06:09 AM
I agree with you Yowie some episodes are no good at all.. In most cases the scripts are ok, but the end results not so good.
My favorite episode are The Silent Scream with Peter Cushing that's really good!

I'm a huge Hammer fan (I'm really am) but this is not near Hammer's golden age. But I don't regret that I invested them, but I also collect Hammer movies.

I must get this off my mind.....
For a time ago I sent some questions to Terry and he mailed me back. He answered all my questions and really took time to give good answers. But.....clumpsy as I am, I have lost the whole interview and I can't get it off my mind. I could post my questions here again in a new thread. The questions could bring on a good discussion.

/David

Ambeon
08-15-2001, 06:11 AM
Forgot to mention who Terry is.

Terry is Hammer's new chairleader. On the official Hammer page you could mail him and if you're lucky he answers.
http://www.hammerfilms.com/

/David

Yowie
08-15-2001, 09:23 AM
jae, instead of paying 55 $ for them I'd definitely rent them first, if possible. But then again, I don't know your taste precisely so you might like them all of course. -I'm pretty sure you'll like some of them, actually. It's a very good price for a box-set this large if you know what you're getting, but it's also a lot of money to take a chance with. Whatever you do, be sure to let me know what you think of Miss :p Danielle !. (-Sorry, this last bid was meant for carl.kolchak, of course.)