PDA

View Full Version : The Convent

K'
01-24-2001, 09:59 PM
Just saw the UK DVD Version in a local shop, itīs pan&scan http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/frown.gif

Anyone knows if there will be a 16:9 release of this movie?

Or maybe i will be lucky and there will be a 16:9 german RC2 release, but i doubt that http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/wink.gif

------------------
Whoever said violence never solves problems
obviously never used enough of it.

jae
01-24-2001, 10:04 PM
I would be happy just to see it widescreen.. Are there any plans to release one in Region 1?

K'
01-24-2001, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by jae:
I would be happy just to see it widescreen.. Are there any plans to release one in Region 1?

Would be nice, because then i could give my codefree dvd player some sugar. Hail the codefree players http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------

Mark Relford
01-24-2001, 10:43 PM
Sadly, there's no U.S. distributer for The Convent. (Unapix had plans for it, but you know the rest...) It's a real shame, cause I've been dying to see this flick! It sucks not to have a codefree player!

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

Funktion
01-24-2001, 11:22 PM
I really wanted to check this one, so I ordered the R2 dvd (I'm gonna see it next month on a local film festival, but I couldn't wait, since I'm waiting for too long to check this one...).
I only found out yesterday that it was already released on dvd, even though it was released more than 6 months ago...

About the dvd, I found out about the existence of this release when I read a review at the "Mondo Digital" site: http://www.mondo-digital.com/convent.html

Since I've never seen the movie, I contacted the reviewer in order to ask a couple of questions regarding the info on the IMDB (the IMDB lists the movie with a running time of 84 min., and the aspect ratio as 1.85 : 1, shot on 35 mm., while the dvd review states the running time is 76 min. and the transfer as open matte).

I wanted to know if anything was cut (it's a UK release, so we never know, and the NTSC to PAL conversion doesn't explain the 8 min. diference...), and if the transfer was really open matte.

According to the reviewer, nothing was missing on the dvd when compared to the print supplied by the director to the FantAsia film festival (in Canada). As for the aspect ratio, he told me that it looks like the entire negative image was transfered to the DVD, since according to him "there's a ton of headroom you couldn't see in the theater, and nothing appears to be missing on the sides. Ideally it should be matted at 1.85:1, for compositional integrity anyway, but the DVD looks fine".

So, maybe the dvd isn't really pan&scan...

As for a 16:9 german release, there isn't one (Amazon's german site has a dvd listed, but it's the UK release...).

jae
01-25-2001, 12:44 AM
Open mattes not so bad.. I may have to pick up the DVD too.. I was under the impression that the video and sound quality weren't that great but it doesn't sound that bad actually. Thanks http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif

fishhead
01-25-2001, 02:18 AM
Mark, you should really make the investment in a codefree player. I don't have a lot of R2 discs (yet), but it's mighty fine to be able to see these films. I've recently ordered Convent and am anxiously awaiting it. I don't have a lot of confidence in seeing this released in any form in the US for a long time, so I went ahead and got the R2 disc since this looks like just the thing I enjoy.

I just have a slight problem though, and was wondering about everyone else. That problem is non-red colored blood. I can understand why many splatter movies have green/orange/whatever colored blood in order to get around the MPAA and avoid the dreaded NC-17. But geez, I still like these films, but think it would be oh-so-better to have good red blood. Oh well, I suppose in the scheme of things this is a really stupid peeve, but I can't help it...

------------------
"You know the rules, when we work undercover we have to remain faceless."
"Oh, I get it, just in case we kill lots of innocent people."
Frank and Ozzy, Bad Taste

Mark Relford
01-25-2001, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by fishhead:
Mark, you should really make the investment in a codefree player. I don't have a lot of R2 discs (yet), but it's mighty fine to be able to see these films. I've recently ordered Convent and am anxiously awaiting it. I don't have a lot of confidence in seeing this released in any form in the US for a long time, so I went ahead and got the R2 disc since this looks like just the thing I enjoy.

Yeah, I know. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif There are several R2 releases that I would love to own! Time to save some money.

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

DeepDownTraumaHound
01-25-2001, 07:17 AM
I've said this all before and i will say it again: I saw The Convent months ago at the Central Florida Film Festival and CANNOT recommend it more! this movie is fucking amazing! it' Evil Dead 2 / Dead-Alive but NOW! lots of inside jokes for horror fans.

------------------
"Do you have to open graves to find a girl to fall in love with?"

Lindane
01-25-2001, 10:21 AM
Sounds fucking fab fellas, now where can I order one of these puppies? The DVD, not the player.

Lindane
01-25-2001, 10:59 AM
No, your damn right fishhead! I hate non red colored blood too. Its pretty cheesy to me to replace the fluid of life with some hokey neon colored shit. It makes me wanna watch star trek or something. I kinda got a thing for black blood though. Never minded that.

K'
01-25-2001, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Funktion:
I really wanted to check this one, so I ordered the R2 dvd (I'm gonna see it next month on a local film festival, but I couldn't wait, since I'm waiting for too long to check this one...).
I only found out yesterday that it was already released on dvd, even though it was released more than 6 months ago...

About the dvd, I found out about the existence of this release when I read a review at the "Mondo Digital" site: http://www.mondo-digital.com/convent.html

Since I've never seen the movie, I contacted the reviewer in order to ask a couple of questions regarding the info on the IMDB (the IMDB lists the movie with a running time of 84 min., and the aspect ratio as 1.85 : 1, shot on 35 mm., while the dvd review states the running time is 76 min. and the transfer as open matte).

I wanted to know if anything was cut (it's a UK release, so we never know, and the NTSC to PAL conversion doesn't explain the 8 min. difference...), and if the transfer was really open matte.

According to the reviewer, nothing was missing on the dvd when compared to the print supplied by the director to the FantAsia film festival (in Canada). As for the aspect ratio, he told me that it looks like the entire negative image was transferred to the DVD, since according to him "there's a ton of headroom you couldn't see in the theater, and nothing appears to be missing on the sides. Ideally it should be matted at 1.85:1, for compositional integrity anyway, but the DVD looks fine".

So, maybe the dvd isn't really pan&scan...

As for a 16:9 German release, there isn't one (Amazon's German site has a dvd listed, but it's the UK release...).

That's cool news. I think I will pick up that UK RC2 DVD in my local shop. Hopefully nobody else picked it up. Because if it is sold I have to get by mailorder from England, amazon.de lists it out of stock for 3-5 weeks.

And by the way I knew that there is no 16:9 German release, I was just dreaming... "What if the good movies get the right treatment they deserve..."

------------------

indiephantom
01-25-2001, 02:22 PM
The Convent...can someone point me toward a cool review of this film? I think I saw a piece on in it in the recent Fango, but could be mistaken. Any info appreciated.

jae
01-25-2001, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Lindane:
Sounds fucking fab fellas, now where can I order one of these puppies? The DVD, not the player.

I recommend BlackStar (http://www.blackstar.co.uk).. I ordered a DVD on sunday and they had it shipped the same day and they have free shipping ANYWHERE.