PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Recent Franchise Re-Imaging?

rhett
08-13-2004, 04:06 PM
Freddy, Jason, Leatherface, Predator, it seems Hollywood is eager to bring old horror icons to new audiences. With the release of ALIEN VS. PREDATOR the kitsch-mobile showing no signs of stopping, so which recent horror update has been your favorite?

Grim
08-13-2004, 04:20 PM
The Dawn remake was the most enjoyable for me.

fceurich39
08-13-2004, 04:31 PM
i think dawn of the dead because of how successful it did and pretty good reviews and it opened the door for such films to be ready to start filming like

1.land of the dead romero's 4th dead film
2.return of the living dead 4 and 5
3.day of the dead contagium not too sure how this one will turn out
4.shaun of the dead
5.undead

Silent Noize
08-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Dawn 2004

Loomis
08-14-2004, 05:44 AM
Easy Dawn 2004, as it would have worked just as well as a movie even if it didn't have a famous name attatched to it.

I would be too scared to say that it is exceeds the first film in SOME respects, but it is easily the best I have seen this year.

thrashard76
08-14-2004, 07:16 AM
Dawn (04) followed by Freddy VS Jason then TCM (04).

Cujo108
08-14-2004, 07:20 AM
Dawn of the Dead 04 all the way. Van Helsing and AVP are godawful.

Tom Servo
08-14-2004, 07:50 PM
I voted for Freddy vs. Jason because I thought it fit the best with the series.

KamuiX
08-15-2004, 05:28 AM
Definitely Dawn 2004. To be honest, I'm not that big of a fan of the original, so I'm not one to critique it in that sense, and I thought it was a super fun flick. Van Helsing was brainless fun, but not that great, TCM '03 was terrible, and while Freddy vs. Jason was a ton of fun at the theatre, all of it's flaws and shortcomings really came out when watching it on DVD. Haven't seen AVP yet, but I highly doubt it'll be something special.

Ravenheart
08-15-2004, 11:45 AM
I enjoyed all the movies on the list.

zombee
08-16-2004, 04:53 AM
Dawn

phlounder
08-16-2004, 09:09 AM
I've seen all of them, besides Van Helsing, and I can say that Dawn was the best. Considering how skeptical I was when it was announced, it really took me by surprise and turned out to be great.

evildeadfan123
08-16-2004, 11:11 AM
Dawn Of The Dead; followed by Freddy Vs Jason; then Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Bobbywoodhogan
08-16-2004, 09:05 PM
Freddy vs. Jason is the best, Texas Chainsaw Massacre Re-make second I didn't like the new Dawn of the Dead it doesn't have a thing on the original and Shaun of the dead sucked. I have yet to watch Van Helsing and Alien vs. Predator.

indiephantom
08-19-2004, 09:05 PM
My opinion of the new TCM nearly doubled when I saw it again on DVD. Like others, I like every film on the list and will soon own them all. But I voted for the new TCM. DAWN is the easy 2nd.

6thdoctor
08-21-2004, 02:58 AM
TCM, then Dawn, upon rewatch F VRS J is extremely weak.

moogong
08-21-2004, 03:12 AM
I love them all but Van Helsing was the weakest and Dawn was the strongest.

Gothic Queen
08-22-2004, 07:55 AM
I love Dawn of the Dead but I voted for Leatherface. The first dawn of the dead was a great story and held so much potential, I mean there was a lot of room for creativity but I felt in some parts there was problems with coherency and loop holes...think about how they got into the mall, either they cut a scene or someone was sleeping at the wheel. The remake of the Texas chainsaw massacre on the other hand, I think added to the origional, but gave its audience something it craved...more unique kills (Leatherface's first is my favorite) and torture scenes that make you squirm. Freddy and Jason is a third, I enjoyed it, but I was laughing more than squirming.

maskull
09-16-2005, 05:50 PM
1. Dawn of the Dead - not only best on this poll but one of the better "remakes". Freaks me out when I watch it. Especially the beginning.
2. F vs J - fun movie. lots of great deaths, one-liners, and we also get Katharine Isabelle
3. Texas - mean spirited little movie. And it looked really good.
4. AvP (up until the "team-up" I was enjoying it quite a bit)
5. Van Helsing- hated it in theatres, liked it a little more when I saw it again but still can't really watch the whole thing. And the fellow playing Dracula is LAME!!!

MrVess
09-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Add "None" or "May everyone involved in remakes contract hemorrhagic fever", and I will vote.

evildeadfan123
09-17-2005, 03:44 PM
Dawn Of The Dead, then Texas Chainsaw Massacre, then Freddy Vs Jason. I own all of these on DVD. Texas, I own the 2 Disc set with the Ed Gein documentary.

allmessedup
09-17-2005, 05:33 PM
I thought the DAWN remake was great--they had some of the pitfalls of today's movies but they at least really brought home the terror of what that situation would be like in today's world. My wife and I were expecting zombies to show up when we were walking in the parking lot after the movie--it seemed that real. I think I was creeped out for at least a week, thinking about what I'd do if the dead started walking, although my main conclusion was that if it were like the movie things would be hopeless.

FREDDY VS. JASON was good in that I found it entertaining and hadn't liked either of those franchises in a long, long time, so that would be my second pick.

I did like some of the stuff in the TCM remake, most of which was probably due to the cinematography and set design. I liked the whole creepy redneck town where they kidnap babies and everybody knows that Leatherface boy. I also liked that whole scene in the slaughterhouse.

Chad
09-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Dawn 2004 for me. Being a huge fan of the original I didn't have very high hopes for it...but it turned out pretty damn good, IMHO.

bigdaddyhorse
09-18-2005, 03:57 PM
Another vote for Dawn. I think TCM had the edge until the unrated Dawn dvd came out.
Freddy V Jason was a blast as well, AVP was just O.K. at best (hoping the upcoming unrated can help that, but I'm not so sure).
Van Helsing is probably the worst movie I've ever seen, EVER!

I have the dvds of all of them except VH, which I'm happy I checked out from the library as to not spend $ on that shit. I wouldn't mind getting those 90-120 minutes back to watch Dawn again though. :(