PDA

View Full Version : Lucios Fulci's New Gladiators

keith70
08-14-2001, 07:59 PM
I'm not familiar with this film, but Troma has it on dvd. WTF? How is Troma getting Argento and Fulci titles? Sorry, but Troma's no Anchor Bay. Wait until you see the dvd cover. If your a Fulci fan, I'm pretty sure the cover will piss you off big time.

AlkanFan
08-14-2001, 08:09 PM
I recently saw the cover scan to Fulci's "New Gladiators." It's absolutely terrible! I would have thought it a joke if it weren't coming from Troma. For those who haven't seen it, it features the two men responsible for the disc posing as gladiators. To add insult to injury, Troma is presenting the film in 1.33:1. Fulci didn't shoot any of his 80's movies in that ratio, which means that the transfer is pan and scanned. Am I just being overly picky or do others share this view?

Erg0n
08-14-2001, 10:37 PM
well I have some of Troma's DVD movies. Quit funny "B-Movies", but just finding out now that they got dvd rights to one of fulci's movies is quite unbelieveable.

and the dvd cover art does look a bit weird.

The Chaostar
08-15-2001, 12:29 AM
The film (which is pretty poor) is filmed in 2.35.1 ratio. Imagine how much of the movie is off screen. If I was a Fulci fan I'd be ashamed to admit that I am associated with this kind of a DVD, let alone appear in it's cover!

Troma keeps releasing films in P&S versions which makes me mad. Lloyd keeps telling that Troma films were ment to be seen that way (maybe because he doesn't want to reveal the fact that his company is just releasing their old video transfers - what a bunch of assholes, they think we are idiots or something?) but they are doing it for every movie that they release. Imagine, in STENDHAL's case they (barely) MATTED a 1.33.1 transfer to make it look "widescreen"!

As for "THE NEW GLADIATORS", it's one of the films that characterize the decadance of Fulci as a filmmaker so I imagine that Troma bought it for peanuts as even in the video market back in it's days the film was a commercial failure.
It's not a "Beyond" or a "House By The Cemetary", trust me.

Now that I look at my post, it sounds a bit bitter. :rolleyes: I'm in a bad day I suppose.:mad:

skinnypuppy6
08-16-2001, 06:46 AM
DEATH TO TROMA!! :confused: :mad: its a good thing that more of fulcis films are slowly making it to dvd but troma??? troma needs to stick to releasing shitty US movies and not fuck with fulci and argento films but i guess no legit company wanted the rights to new gladiators.....but troma???

crank
08-17-2001, 07:24 AM
Where can I find a scan of the cover? I want to see this.

crank

keith70
08-17-2001, 07:44 AM
Here's a scan from dvd maniacs of the cover www.dvdmaniacs.net/Cover_Scans/new_Glad!.gif

Werner Von Wallenrod
08-17-2001, 11:48 PM
At least Troma was pretty nice (not extensive or anything, but nice) with the extras on Stendhal (besides the standard Troma crap) and especially Cannibal! the Musical (which was also a Troma acquisition, not one of their productions)... Maybe they'll dig something up for Gladiators, too; though now that I think about it, I doubt it. What a junk movie (and I'm definitely one of those people who'd generally fall under the forgiving Fulci fan category).

Mark Relford
08-18-2001, 07:38 AM
That cover's a fucking eyesore from hell!

AceRimRat
08-19-2001, 09:22 AM
Are you guys sure this isn't a joke? It looks awful, even by Troma standards.

Plus, it's got a quote from David Manning (the fictional reviewer)... More Lloyd trying to be funny?

If it's real, I can't imagine it luring in ANYONE. What a hideous thing. Probably make Fulci wish he'd carved out his OWN eyes.

AlkanFan
08-21-2001, 06:53 PM
DVD Maniacs just posted the menus to New Gladiators. They don't look that bad, which leads me to believe that the cover may (hopefully) be a joke. I still am upset about the pan and scan, though. Why won't Troma release movies in their original aspect ratios?

skinnypuppy6
08-22-2001, 05:00 AM
troma is pan& scan kind of company their moves were nevr made for the "big" screen pretty fucking cheesy..... XX DEATH TO TROMA XX :mad:

Jason25
08-23-2001, 03:55 AM
Worth a read.

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/M-P/new_gladiators.htm

MoB
08-26-2001, 11:43 AM
Here's the original badass cover:
Rome 2033 Fighter Centurions (http://horrormd.50megs.com/covr5.jpg)

MovieFan
08-27-2001, 02:25 AM
I hope Troma goes fucking bankrupt. If they do, hopefully AB will snatch some of the titles that Troma should've never had in the first place (Stendhal Syndrome rings a bell).

keith70
08-27-2001, 06:39 AM
Troma sold out! They've always said they never would and would always be independant. Yeah right. I live in a small town and the fact that the malls and Best Buy are carrying Troma movies says something. Not to mention the old Toxic Avenger videos use to have Warner Bros. labels. I'm not kidding. If you have a video store that still rents Troma movies in their original boxes, take a look. Not to mention, that Troma supposedly supports bootlegs as long as their films get seen. Bull Shit! They sell what the call boogleg tapes on their site for $80.00 about four months before the dvd hits. Not to mention, the Terror Firmer dvd has a BIG FBI Copyright warining on it that you can't fast forward or skip around.
I used to support Troma. But now they just piss me off. They buy tons of old movies and don't care about the quality of the release for these films, or even their own. Not to mention, both Terror Firmer and Tromeo and Juilet mad quite a bit of money and the most anyone recieved for their work on the film was $450.00. That was for actor playing Tromeo.
Tromeo & Juiliet made enough money for Troma that they funded both Terror Firmer and Toxie 4 from the profits. Yet, none of their people got paid. If you can check out the dvd, take a look. Lloyd treats people like crap. It's not fake either. Quite a few people walked out durring the filming of Terror Firmer and Lloyd badmouthed them and started yelling at everyone. What a jerk.:mad:

Oogie Boogie
08-27-2001, 06:52 PM
Just a side note to deepen the disain, I was at a bar when those creeps were jerking around to celebrate the wrap of terror firmer. They were the uncoolest, most obnoxious buttholes ever. It was like a drunk band of retarded 5 year olds. THEY SUCK!