PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Argento flicks

DefJeff
08-15-2001, 02:53 AM
hey .. im pretty new to Argento's stuff ... i just picked up Phenomena and Tenebre today on DVD from Anchor Bay .. didnt watch them yet, but checked out the trailers and extras and they looked great.. so my question is, what is everyones favorite Argento flicks, so i can see what i should check out next, after these.

Jeff

keith70
08-15-2001, 06:47 AM
I would strongly recommend not watching the trailers until after you have seen the movies. Especially with Deep Red. The Deep Red U.S. trailer reveals way too much.
As for my favorite Argento flicks, I'm pretty new myself, but I would say. Suspiria, Deep Red, Tenebrae, Bird with the Crystal Plumage, and Phenomena.
I've heard good things about Opera(Not to be confused with Phantom of the Opera/Avoid that one), Can't Sleep and Four Flies on Grey Velvet, but I haven't seen those.
So far, I've been very happy with the Argento films that I've seen.

Andrew
08-15-2001, 07:08 AM
I too have slowly become a full-fledged Argentophile, ever since I rented Suspiria from Blockbuster. Mid-day, full glare on the TV, parents and younger siblings walking around, and I was still scared. I knew he was a genious.

The next one I saw was Deep Red, which is his second best (to Suspiria, of course). David Hemmings is great, and I started to love Daria Nicolodi. She's not particularly pretty, but I love her all the same. I really don't know why, but she has a kind of motherly quality to her.

Next was Phenomena, if I remember correctly. When I saw it I liked it a good deal. I remember after watching it thinking that I was weird, but don't all 12 year olds at some point? I've slowly decided that I didn't like it so much, but I recently ordered the DVD and it should be here in a few days, so I'll know if I really like it.

Demons is awesome, a great Italian flick. Not too subtle, and although Argento was only producer, it still had some of the qualities that you have (or will) come to associate with Dario.

Tenebre is very cool, I liked it a lot. A slasher with style, what more can you want? Oh yeah, Nicolodi again. Plus some hot chicks.

The Bird With the Crystal Plumage is one of my favorites. Something about it feels nostalgic to me (although there's no way in hell I'd ever seen or heard of it before recently), so I truthfully can't say if it's a great film or not, but I know I love it.

Cat O' Nine Tales is good, although many aren't too fond of it. I liked it a lot, but every time I watch it I can't help but imagine Robert Redford as Giordanni (James Franciscus' role). I liked it a lot though, a good murder mystery.

The Stendhal Syndrome is Dario's most recent film, and it has an artsy quality to it. The rape scenes aren't as brutal as they're made out to be. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying rape is brutal, only a truly sick fuck could do it, but the way it's shown here doesn't make you feel dirty as other films would. Either way, the film is excellent, and I'm glad to see a good Italian film from the '90's.

That's all I've seen. I've ordered Inferno, pre-ordered Opera, and have been meaning to rent Inferno, but that's all I have to offer.

The Chaostar
08-15-2001, 01:50 PM
Inferno is my favorute Argento film with no doubt. It has a surreal quality and a dreamlike atmosphear that is to be found only in the poetry of Poe. Difficult film though, I can understand why many people don't get it.
Stendhal is a close second. It is the most mature film he made and the first time that he made us CARE for once.
Suspiria of course... Tenebre.... Deep Red...

Hellbilly
08-15-2001, 03:57 PM
here are my favorite top ten argento movies:

1. Phenomena *****
2. Suspiria *****
3. Opera ****
4. Deep Red ****
5. The Stendhal Syndrome ****
6. Tenebrae ****
7. Inferno ***
8. Trauma ***
9. Cat O' Nine Tails **
10. The Phantom Of The Opera **

i've only seen trauma in the r-rated version. but it was still pretty good, though.

Oogie Boogie
08-15-2001, 04:19 PM
Suspiria is great! Altho the locker room scene is stupid. (but I love the movie just the same). I actually love Stendhal Syndrome. Phenomena is awesome and Demons, too.
In order.
1. Suspiria
2. Stendhal Syndrome
3. Phenomena
4. Demons

DefJeff
08-15-2001, 06:35 PM
thanks for the feedback guys!
im definitally gonna pick up Opera and Susperia when they are released from Anchor Bay ..
I didnt check out Phenomena yet, but i watched Tenebre last night and i loved it

Jeff

oh, and yea, the trailers do give away so much of the movie .. not just in Argento flicks, but i noticed in MOST italien flicks this is the case.

yxz54
08-15-2001, 10:00 PM
I haven't seen all off Argento's stuff either. I much prefer his Gialla to his other stuff. I am in the minority in finding Suspiria overated. But for me;

1. Tenebrae
2. Deep Red
3. Cat O' Nine Tails
4. Bird With The Crystal Plumage

Best Scott

MovieFan
08-21-2001, 10:23 AM
Out of ****
1) Phenomena ****
2) Suspiria ****
3) The Bird With the Crystal Plumage ***
4) Deep Red ***
5) Tenebre ***
6) Inferno ***
7) Opera ***
8) The Stendhal Syndrome ***
9) Cat O' Nine Tails **
10) Trauma **
11) Phantom of the Opera *

slinker
08-21-2001, 03:03 PM
Personally i think Suspiria is darios greatest movie, it was the first one i saw and really had a big impact on me seeing it in the cinema here in the UK a few years back at a film festival...that soundtrack and eiree menacing build up is gonna take some beating!..also Opera was very good too but i thought the ending was a bit silly. Have to buy the limited tins of both these releases soon!!!!

creamstick
08-21-2001, 03:39 PM
Deep Red
Opera
Bird With The Crystal Plumage

My top 3.

Mattster
08-21-2001, 09:44 PM
I'd have to say my top 3 are:

1. Phenomena
2. Suspiria
3. Deep Red