PDA

View Full Version : laserdisc storage

Demon
08-16-2001, 02:37 AM
just curious what some of you guys use for your storage, pretty much what I have is plastic sleeves to protect the covers then I have them in some old wooden crate.

I'd like to upgrade to a more professional style shelving unit.

Paff
08-16-2001, 10:24 PM
I use the soft plastic sleeves too. For storage I have them lined up in my entertainment center. I've now filled up two small shelves and one large one. I literally can't buy anymore laserdiscs. Yet somehow, I still do.

Someday, if I ever buy a place of my own with more space, I'll either buy or make some tabletop rack displays like they used to have in the stores

Mario77
08-17-2001, 09:08 AM
I also keep them in the soft plastic sleeves, except for the box sets which go in giant plastic ziploc bags. Amazingly fortunate, when I moved in this place years ago, there was a used record store across the street that was closing, and the owner gave me his storage shelves. While they're not so pretty, they're not so ugly either and they hold sevral hundred laserdiscs in perfect rows. I really lucked out.

laserdogg
08-19-2001, 05:57 AM
All discs currently go into poly lined paper sleeves then the whole thing into a chicago one stop sleeve. I have many discs from early in my collecting that have a cheaper "comic book bag" quality sleeve, but I replace as I come across them. For shelving I buy these oak cubes from a store in my area called Oak Express that hold between 60 and 80 discs each. I have about 18 of these cubes which form a large modular bookcase housing a collection of about 1200 discs. The cubes go for between 25 and 35 dollars.

gunner
08-22-2001, 10:28 PM
I first weaved down my laserdisc collection leaving only about 40 discs that I feel I couldn't live without.I made my own wooden wall mounted box which holds the discs facing you so that you can sift through the titles and not have to strain to read the spines.I also lined the bottom of the box with some foam padding to avoid corner dings.
All of my discs are in resealable (self adhesive flap) 3 mil polybags from Bags Unlimited and thats about it.
What exactly is a "Chicago One Stop" sleeve? If it's vinyl I'd stick to the poly,vinyl is very temperature sensitive and turns brittle over a fairly short time. I'd like to find mylar LD sleeves, I know they do exsist but I've had no luck locating them.

laserdogg
08-23-2001, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by gunner
I first weaved down my laserdisc collection leaving only about 40 discs that I feel I couldn't live without.I made my own wooden wall mounted box which holds the discs facing you so that you can sift through the titles and not have to strain to read the spines.I also lined the bottom of the box with some foam padding to avoid corner dings.
All of my discs are in resealable (self adhesive flap) 3 mil polybags from Bags Unlimited and thats about it.
What exactly is a "Chicago One Stop" sleeve? If it's vinyl I'd stick to the poly,vinyl is very temperature sensitive and turns brittle over a fairly short time. I'd like to find mylar LD sleeves, I know they do exsist but I've had no luck locating them.

Chicago One Stop is the manufacturer of the high quality sleeves I use. I don't think they are vinyl, I had some of the cheap ones at one time and got rid of them due to the outgassing issues, etc.
The ones I get now remain pliable, even with age.