PDA

View Full Version : Night of The Demons DVD

Paul0889
08-28-2004, 03:16 AM
It's halloween and Angela is throwing a party, but this is no ordinary spook bash. Everyone's headed to Hull House, a deserted funeral home with a shocking secret in its past and something evil alive in its basement. Now the guests are becoming possessed, and this party's treats include tongue ripping, eye gouging, gratuitous nudity and more. Welcome to the blowout where all hell is breaking loose: You're invited to NIGHT OF THE DEMONS!

IMAGE- Anchor Bay has given us a REALLY REALLY nice widescreen 1.85:1 image here and it looks awesome for its age. It simply blows the old shitty vhs away and any other format fans have seen the film on. The image is so clear that there are some new noticeable things that i've never noticed before that even director points out in the commentary(demon Jay's eyes squirting out blood when he speaks to Judy). There are a few speckles through out and some SLIGHT grain here and there but it is never too bad at all. Flesh tones look nice as well as the film's other colors. The party scenes appear a little soft and smear a little but this is how they've always appeared apparently. Everyone should be very pleased with the quality of this transfer. Id give it an A-

AUDIO- NOTD is presented in 2.0 ultra stereo and it sounds great. The audio is always crystal clear and easy to understand with no popping, hissing or other defects. The bass sounds really nice whenever we hear the demonic growls from Angela and during the party scenes with the rock songs there are some nice surround moments as well as with the demon awakening in the basement.

EXTRAS- Anchor Bay has treated us with some nice extras here!! The biggest and the best is the commentary track with director Kevin Tenny, executive producer Walter Josten and producer Jeff Geoffray. This track is extremely good and there is practically never a dull moment. They cover a lot of info about the actors, troubles with the mpaa, and the films openings. They all seem very proud with it and tell us how everyone gave fantastic reviews about it. Next up we have a documentary titled MY DEMON NIGHTS which is basically a 14 minute interview with actress Linnea Quigley. She offers a lot of interesting facts as well and what her experience was like working with some of the actors. Very cool. Last we get a bunch of advertisement features which consist of a theatrical trailer, a video trailer, a promo video, and 3 tv spots. This disc is definitely worth it and everyone needs to go pick up a copy!!!

Anthropophagus
08-28-2004, 03:23 AM
Nice review, I posted mine on amazon. I was very pleased with this disc too and highly recommend it!!

Grim
08-28-2004, 05:04 AM
The trailers were kind of funny. I wouldn't mind owning a copy of the spanish language version. Dubs are always funny.

Paul0889
08-28-2004, 05:22 AM
yea it would be funny to hear a spanish dubber trying to do a demon voice

thrashard76
08-30-2004, 06:44 AM
Nice review dude, as I'm still planning on getting this when I get the chance.

PMcG_6
08-30-2004, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the review. Mine is on the way from DDDVD along with Witchboard and Cheerleader Camp. Anyone know if they're going to release the others in the NOTD series on R1?

PS. I'm a newbee here and have found that this is a great board indeed. Much better than the flame wars on IMDb. :rolleyes: Thanks to all for keeping up a great place for us horror freaks.

Morg
08-30-2004, 08:48 PM
Saw Night of the Demons for the first time this weekend, and really enjoyed it. Good transfer, good audio (referred to as "Ultra Stereo" or something like that). I bought this disk based on my experience with "Witchboard" which I saw in its initial release years ago, and am glad I picked them both up. As for Witchboard, I really enoyed it more than I remember enjoying it years ago. Out of the two, I liked NOTD more as it has a nice balance of gore and humor. Witchboard tries to take itself more serious. All in all, two great releases!

evildeadfan123
08-30-2004, 10:29 PM
According to Anchor Bay, they have no plans, as of yet, to release Parts 2 or 3 of Night Of The Demons. That could change, probably based on the sales of Night Of The Demons. I want the other 2. I do have them on VHS, but DVD is the only way.

John Gargo
09-01-2004, 02:20 PM
According to Anchor Bay, they have no plans, as of yet, to release Parts 2 or 3 of Night Of The Demons. That could change, probably based on the sales of Night Of The Demons. I want the other 2. I do have them on VHS, but DVD is the only way.
That's a real shame... when I heard that Anchor Bay were releasing this a while back, I had assumed they would do it in a boxset with the two sequels (like the German import). I haven't seen the other two sequels yet, but the original is a gem.

Salty
09-01-2004, 03:11 PM
I read on the AB site that they do not have the rights to the sequels. The second one is too great...Bummer

thrashard76
09-01-2004, 07:31 PM
I got this yesterday with a busted DVD spool in the case. The DVD was scratched a bit and I cleaned it to the point that the scratches disappeared. The movie itself was much better than what I was expecting. Nice soundtrack and score and the humor was very Freddy Krueger-ish. Good stuff.

tobaccoman
09-25-2004, 03:41 AM
I remember renting all 3 of these films numerous times as a kid and I always loved them, but now as an adult, I don't think that they are worthy of my purchase unless they are sold in a set at a reduced price. I know the complications of this (that they must get enough sales from the rest to warrant such a release), but I must keep my hopes up. So, for all those who haven't seen this movie or it's subsequent followers must pick up this release so I CAN GET MINE! Thanks Again!

bruce h
09-26-2004, 04:54 PM
I believe the rights to the the sequels are now owned by Lions Gate.

zombi3
09-26-2004, 10:53 PM
I believe the rights to the the sequels are now owned by Lions Gate.

Great, now if they do come out, they'll likely be full frame and cut. :mad:

Paul0889
09-26-2004, 11:14 PM
the 3rd NOTD's is out soon from Seville, the company who released Ginger Snaps II and III on dvd. i think notd 2 has always just had an R rated cut but part 3 did have an unrated version.

Fumi
10-17-2004, 05:10 PM
I ordered that movie from Amazon a couple of days ago. Very much looking forward to getting it. I saw it quite a while back and remember liking it. I hope somebody comes out with the other 2 as well.

walkingdude
10-18-2004, 02:12 PM
I ordered that movie from Amazon a couple of days ago. Very much looking forward to getting it. I saw it quite a while back and remember liking it. I hope somebody comes out with the other 2 as well.
Part 3 is out in a Canadian release but I live here and I can't find it.

IGotsNewShoes
10-19-2004, 12:36 AM
Order part 3 online, that's what I did...it's a full frame no frills DVD but it's really cheap and the video quality isn't atrocious.

walkingdude
10-19-2004, 12:43 AM
Order part 3 online, that's what I did...it's a full frame no frills DVD but it's really cheap and the video quality isn't atrocious.
I may wait.If I get that one I will be squeeling and pulling my hair out becuase I am missing part 2.Just got a Clownhouse DVD for 12.99 on Ebay.Everybody will have a copy by the time they decided to actually release it!

drown021
11-08-2004, 12:44 AM
Man,I was really disappointed in this movie.
I LOVED all three of the notd movies when I was younger,but for the life of me,I couldnt figure out what I liked so much about it.
Maybe I just wasnt in the mood, but I have been looking forward to getting this and I was unimpressed.
I will still get part 2 & 3 when/if they are released on dvd.

RyanPC
11-08-2004, 01:13 AM
Man,I was really disappointed in this movie.
I LOVED all three of the notd movies when I was younger,but for the life of me,I couldnt figure out what I liked so much about it.
Maybe I just wasnt in the mood, but I have been looking forward to getting this and I was unimpressed.
I will still get part 2 & 3 when/if they are released on dvd.

If you were unimpressed with the first one (which I love), don't bother to see the third film... it's awful!