PDA

View Full Version : Immortel(ad vitam) review

aoiookami
08-30-2004, 08:17 PM
http://www.u-blog.net/borgonia/img/bilal.jpg
Last night I had the chance to check out this sci-fi peice of eye candy, directed by Bilal, the same guy who is the artist for the original comic. I cant really say if I was pleasently surprised, or slightly let down with this one because I was looking forward to it so much, strange, I guess I just feel it was pretty good.

The plot is set 95 years in the future in New York, and revolves essentially around three characters, Jill (blue girl in the image) Nikopol a writter reccently 'escaped' from prison and Horus the God that takes over his body. Jill apparently is a super human/god like creature that is like nothing the human world has ever seen before. It seems Horus, the God that emerges from a floating pyramid above new york has seven days to exist in the world before he is called back; to experience what he has created, for some reason (not fully explained clearly) it becomes essential that he impregnates Jill before his time is up, only he can only do so by taking over a human body. Nikopol acts as his host, he gains control over Nikopol by giving him an artificial leg to replace the leg he reccently lost made out of extremely heavy iron, forcing Nikopol to agree to being possessed as he can only move when the God is inside him.

The plot is pretty bizzare, and at times I had no idea what as going on, but for me the main factor for this movie is the visuals. The movie is extremely visually appealing, very beautiful. There is a very bizzare mix of live action, 'good' CGI and 'bad' CGI. What I mean is there will be live actors interacting with CGI characters that look very real, and make you do a double take..while on the other hand there are CGI characters that look really outdated, like the ones from the Reboot tv show. This is obviously done on purpose, I think to give the 'synthetic' beings a truely synthetic look.
The interaction between live action and CG is very well done, there are some moments where contact between the characters occurs that is done really well.

What most surprised me about this movie is it's totally in english (except 1 line of French at the end), I was under the impression it was totally French. This means if you are interested in the movie you can indeed import the DVD when it comes out this September (which I probably will). If you're looking for a bizzare and surreal, but visually stunning sci-fi film, or if you're just a fan of Bilal and his work (he directed this as well) then pick this up, other I would say stay away as there arent many factors that will bring you back to watching it again other than the visuals.

Surnom
09-24-2005, 06:20 PM
I rent this last night. I was meaning to see it in theaters, but it didn't stay there long enough for me to find the time to go. I liked it a lot. As you say, the visuals are incredible. The plot is kind of weird, and we're left with little to none explanation for most of what's going on. We have to accept things as they are, without expecting to understand most of it. That's the one downside to the movie - I would have like to understand a little more of Horus motivations (but he's a god, so I guess it's normal that I don't) or those of Eugenics, about the Spirit of Nikopol vs Nikopol himself, about the serial killer, or the Transition (or something like that), among other things. But even though we are not offered a very good background about anything, the movie still is very good, which is quite surprising. The way it goes, you just take everything for granted. Maybe I can find information about Bilal "mythos" somewhere...

I remember reading the comic when I was younger, but alas I don't remember much about it. I think I'm gonna try to find it so I can read it again.

dwatts
09-24-2005, 06:35 PM
Reading that plot outline gave me a good laugh: " for some reason (not fully explained clearly) it becomes essential that he impregnates Jill before his time is up, only he can only do so by taking over a human body. Nikopol acts as his host, he gains control over Nikopol by giving him an artificial leg to replace the leg he reccently lost made out of extremely heavy iron, forcing Nikopol to agree to being possessed as he can only move when the God is inside him."

If that isn't hilariously funny I don't know what is. I've never heard of this movie, but it's weird enough that if I see it, I might give it a go.

aoiookami
09-26-2005, 09:35 AM
It sounds fucked (and it is) but its all really beautifully pulled off. I'm trying to find the DVD at a good price, tho everywhere I find it they overcharge (upwards of 40$ for a 1 disc dvd) so I'm gonna see if I can't order it from work and get it for cheap. I reccomend it, even just for the designs and eyecandy, or if you have thing for girls with blue nipples..