PDA

View Full Version : Which Dawn cut is your favorite?

rhett
09-06-2004, 02:39 PM
With the new DAWN OF THE DEAD set streeting on Tuesday, people are going to be faced with the choice of choosing between the three versions included on the disc. Some may have enough time to go through all of them, but for those with a tight schedule, let's recommend our personal favorite.

Nemesis
09-06-2004, 03:06 PM
well.. i've only seen the directors cut (extended cut) before so i don't have a favourite yet.. but i'll be watching the european cut first

hell ya!
09-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Extended Cut

fceurich39
09-06-2004, 03:41 PM
i like the extended cut even though i also own the german ultimate cut which is cool

Cerio
09-06-2004, 04:13 PM
Definitely the The U.S. Theatrical Cut. That cut displays the music, character development, story perfectly.

Midnight Buddha
09-06-2004, 04:48 PM
Just got my 4 disc set in the mail this morning from dvdsoon. Only took a week to arrive from canada to scotland.

I have no idea what version to watch now though?

Silent Noize
09-06-2004, 05:17 PM
My personal favorite version of this film is the Extended Cut. But the best version is the The U.S. Theatrical Cut.

Morg
09-06-2004, 06:12 PM
I will let you know after Tuesday, after I have the chance to view the extended, and Argento cuts. :)

francostein
09-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Argento's version is the best. You can't beat the goblin score and the film is better paced.

Deus Ex Machina
09-06-2004, 08:21 PM
I haven't seen the Argento cut but from the two versions I've seen I love the extended version...I don't find it all that long..

Joni Backman
09-06-2004, 08:29 PM
Theatrical version would be the best version but Romero cut too much gore away from it. I know it has nothing to do with censorship but it annoys me because I can't understand why he cut only 2 sec headshot away from some scene because it doesn't do anything positive to the film's rythm etc. just takes some blood out of the movie.

I have seen all versions dozen times so I don't need well made character development anymore. These days I get best kicks when I see the Argento cut so that's what I voted.

Guyver99
09-06-2004, 08:44 PM
I can't answer this poll just yet...I won't be getting the UE until the Tuesday after next. I still need to watch the Euro cut.

Tom Servo
09-06-2004, 11:02 PM
I have not seen the Argento cut, but will be watching that one on Tuesday. My favorite cut right now is the extended cut. I think the movie flows better with the extra scenes, especially the scene by the docks when they are loading the helicopter.

wago70
09-06-2004, 11:24 PM
The long, Cannes cut is my favorite. The longer the DAWN, the better for me. What's weird is that I used to hate this movie. Now I could watch it over and over and never get tired of it.
I showed it to many friends (even non-horror fans) and they all enjoy it. Not one person I've watched it with had anything bad to say about it. Now THAT'S quite the fete!

drterror666
09-07-2004, 05:48 PM
Best music+gore+excellent pacing=Argento European Cut! 'Nuff said... :glasses:

KR~!
09-08-2004, 05:18 AM
Of course you should watch all three, but after that the European Cut is the one that is the most fun for me.

Mortis
09-08-2004, 11:04 PM
The extended cut all the way. The theatrical cut has too many of the scenes I like missing and the Argento cut has too many music cues and it gets on my nerves.

evildeadfan123
09-08-2004, 11:26 PM
I like all the cuts, but I like the Extended a little bit more.

mkayers
09-09-2004, 12:19 AM
I like the European version but the music is way too over the top. He should have cut back on it a little. It will drive you batty after a while.

H0MOSareGAY
09-10-2004, 04:58 AM
I voted for the extended cut. The Argento cut is good, probably my second favorite cut. I like them all, of course.

Marka1620
09-10-2004, 04:59 AM
Extended version

badnewsbrown
09-10-2004, 11:00 AM
the extended cut i like best the more footage the better the movie is and it makes more sense also the 156min ultimate cut would be even better i hope they release it in english for us dead zombie fans. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Crazy Ralph
09-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Extended.... it was the first version I ever saw, so that may have a lot to do with it, but I just like to have as much of the movie intact as possible (even though Romero likes his original cut).

Morg
09-10-2004, 02:13 PM
I can now safely say the U.S. theatrical is my favorite cut. Watched the European cut last night, and was surprised at how much I enjoyed that cut as well. I felt the audio was a notch below the theatrical release, as was the transfer. Not to ignore the extended cut, which I found very good, and interesting, but I felt it was just too long, not to mention an inferior audio track.

I have to say how cool the european cut was, from the first reel, it was apparent that it had a totally different feel altogether than the theatrical. The difference it makes to put another talent in the cutting room is phenomenal, it was almost like watching a new zombie movie for the first time, as directed by Argento or something. Maybe that's going too far, but I really enjoyed this cut for what it is. Having said that, long live Romero's vision, viva the theatrical cut - Dawn of the Dead!!

indiephantom
09-10-2004, 06:33 PM
theatrical. Love all three, though.

Mortis
09-10-2004, 10:35 PM
The extended version was the first rough cut Romero did for that film festival.

Extended.... it was the first version I ever saw, so that may have a lot to do with it, but I just like to have as much of the movie intact as possible (even though Romero likes his original cut).

fceurich39
09-11-2004, 12:38 AM
the extended cut i like best the more footage the better the movie is and it makes more sense also the 156min ultimate cut would be even better i hope they release it in english for us dead zombie fans. :evil: :evil: :evil:
agreed i have the german version on video so they definitly need to release it in american

zombi3
09-14-2004, 01:43 PM
I actually voted for the European cut, although I think it's really a toss-up between that and the extended version. I like both for different reasons. I like the extended cut because it's got all the gore and character development, but that awful stock music brings it down a notch. I like the Euro cut because it's got the much cooler Goblin score and moves along at a nice pace, but I don't like the fact that it's missing the scene where the zombie gets brained by the helicopter blades and also Joe Pilato's scene at the dock. The theatrical cut is definitely my least favorite of the three, as it's missing quite a bit of the gore.

Shannafey
09-14-2004, 02:07 PM
I watched the Argento cut last night, but now I have to see the extended cut to make my decision. One thing I will say is that that opening music cue when the camera tilts down to the main actress huttled on the ground in the theatrical cut sets an eerie feeling that the other 2 don't have.

Joni Backman
09-14-2004, 05:22 PM
I actually voted for the European cut, although I think it's really a toss-up between that and the extended version. I like both for different reasons. I like the extended cut because it's got all the gore and character development...

Check this thread (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=21003) out. Argento cut has some extra gore in seven different scenes compared to extended cut. Including these two headshots, which are among the finest IMO (all editions included).

Sorry everyone for putting these screenshots all over the place, but they help to point things out which weren't clear enough first time.

Matt_Stevens
09-14-2004, 06:22 PM
The Argento cut didn't do it for me. The Theatrical cut is good, but there are so many great scenes or lines of dialogue missing that I must go with the Extended Cannes cut, despite the inferior mono sound.

fceurich39
09-15-2004, 12:46 AM
i want to see the 156 minute version in english damn it that would be my favorite

Andrew
09-15-2004, 12:51 AM
Well after reviewing the Extended and Theatrical versions on DVD, as well as seeing the European cut for the first time, I've actually changed my original opinion and have come to regard the Theatrical cut as the best. I used to prefer the Extended Version for all of the extra scenes that were just as key to the movie as many other moments, but the Theatrical version has a sense of frantic paranoia (especially present in the opening scene) that just doesn't occur in the Extended. The European cut is by far the least of the three, with a trailer's pace and music seemingly thrown in everywhere. It was nice to see some additional moments, so that was a plus, but this is not Romero's film.

Shannafey
09-20-2004, 07:02 PM
I haven't rewatched the Theatrical cut, but now that I have the UE, I finally have seen the Euro and Extended Cuts. I like all the versions, and it's hard to pick a favorite. The Theatrical cut is the tightest, but damn, I love that extended cut!! So many good little scenes, though some are unnecessary, they are still good. There is so much more character development! The scenes when Fran is getting uptight and upset about their situation are so good. The tension level is so well portrayed. Not that I've ever been in a life or death situation, but living the week after Hurricane Frances, showed how people get when they don't have the creature comforts that we all have learned to expect. And in Dawn they have these comforts, but the world is falling apart around them. Romero was great at building these characters! Dawn is the best of the 3 films for seeing the human condition. I thought that it would be hard to watch the different versions of Dawn in the same week, but Damn, this movie doesn't get old. It is truly a great film, and can be rewatched over and over again. That is IMHO!!

allmessedup
10-12-2004, 11:53 PM
I like the Theatrical best, but need to revisit the Extended. I was really let down by the European cut--I like Goblin but the music is way too repetitive, and the story's effectivness is lessened by the fast pace. It's funny because I was expecting to like the Argento version best of all before seeing it, because I've always thought the Theatrical version dragged a lot in places. So I doubt I'll like the Extended Cut much either.

Really wish they would have had Perry Martin or someone else do the commentary track for the European version--I would have liked more behind the scenes info and the cast just weren't familiar enough with what they were watching.

walkingdude
10-13-2004, 12:01 AM
It was good that they got them all together though.Maybe they should have done the commentary on another version.

betterdan
10-13-2004, 12:46 AM
I watched the Euro cut a few weeks ago with some others from the board and I really liked the music and the faster pace. I think it is my favorite cut now.

Mortis
10-13-2004, 12:55 AM
They messed up the coloring on it, though.

I watched the Euro cut a few weeks ago with some others from the board and I really liked the music and the faster pace. I think it is my favorite cut now.

thrashard76
10-13-2004, 12:55 AM
I'm going with the Extended cut. The other 2 loses some of its charm with missing or altered scenes.

Roo
10-13-2004, 02:14 AM
I prefer the extended cut. I enjoy the extra scenes and the longer feel of the movie. Anything that makes the movie last longer, is okay with me.

allmessedup
10-13-2004, 03:39 AM
I decided to at least start watching some of the Extended Cut, which I hadn't seen in a long while. I really don't get why people think the dock scene is so great--sure, it adds some tension but I can definitely see why Romero cut it out of the final version. I guess people like the movie so much that they just want more of it even if it's mostly superfluous material.

Yeah, I really think they should have had the cast commentary as an added commentary track for the Theatrical Cut. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun track--I just wanted something else for that particular disc.
One thing that I do like about the European Cut...it's almost a completely different movie and is interesting in that respect, but after viewing it I don't know if I would have spent the cash on it as a stand-alone disc--I'm really glad I didn't shell out money for a VHS bootleg of it years before.

Criswell
11-02-2004, 06:59 AM
I have seen sooooooooo many versions I have lost track. Hell we even had an "ultmate uncut" version released in Aussie WITHOUT the exploding Head shot in the opening SWAT team scene!!! Go figure

BUT!!!!!!! Here's a question.

I can vividly remember seeing a version Where the helicopter zombie loses the top of his head in CLOSE-UP!.

Anyone else seen this version.

Chad
11-02-2004, 09:06 PM
I've always been a fan of the extended cut. The Euro cut is just too short and badly edited, but does has great music. The theatrical one is just fine but missing a few key scenes. Love them all though.

fceurich39
11-12-2004, 02:07 AM
I have seen sooooooooo many versions I have lost track. Hell we even had an "ultmate uncut" version released in Aussie WITHOUT the exploding Head shot in the opening SWAT team scene!!! Go figure

BUT!!!!!!! Here's a question.

I can vividly remember seeing a version Where the helicopter zombie loses the top of his head in CLOSE-UP!.

Anyone else seen this version.
i have seen it in the ultimate 156 min german edition of dawn

Alexander
11-12-2004, 02:12 AM
Extended.

Oh, and I HATE the Argento cut.

fceurich39
11-21-2004, 04:21 AM
156min would be my favorite but since not english i love the added scene with biker shoots zombie in head with arrow that is only scene here in this ultimate german edition

Demon
11-21-2004, 05:28 AM
I'd like to smack whoever voted for the Argento cut.....what an abomination

Workshed
02-24-2007, 08:12 AM
Gave the Euro version a viewing tonight, having not seen it in a while. This is a really tough poll. I don't think the Argento cut is my favorite, and while the Extended Cut is one of the rare films where more is not less, I do appreciate Romero's Theatrical Cut. Still thinking.

edit: Went with U.S. Theatrical. This is the version I know best, the first version I saw, and it's plenty fun. The Extended Cut is still great and an at times a better one to throw in as well.

shithead
02-24-2007, 09:54 AM
The theatrical cut, probably just because it was the first cut of the film i saw.