PDA

View Full Version : Cannibal Holocaust - New DVD from EC!

dotgain37
08-18-2001, 08:32 PM
Just when the old, OOP, release from EC Entertainment started to get pricy on eBay (about $75), they release a new, remastered version of their CH disc.

I had not heard anything mentioned about this release before, I just ran across it at my local DVD store. Anyone who knew that this one was comming out?

This time it's an anamorphic (wee!), region free (R0) release. Don't know if it's PAL or NTSC, but after a quick screening, my bet is on PAL. There's also a new cover, featuring the skull with the swamp people in it.

The extras are pretty much the same as the old version. Featuring stills and some artwork, two trailers, an interview with Deodato and subtitles in english and dutch. The subs are pretty useless as they disappear after less than a second on screen. You'll have to be a really fast reader to keep up...

As for the picture quality, it's well above the normal EC standards. Some grain, specks and lines, but it's sharp and the colors look good. I've only browsed the disc, but I haven't seen any signs of ghosting, artifacts or that smudge that are common on EC's releases.

The audio is in mono (in english, no italian track). Haven't heard and hiss or pops yet. Ortolani's great score (probably the best thing with the entire movie ;)) sounds a bit canny though. The audio serves it's purpose with out any distractions.

Even though I'm no fan of CH (actually, I think it's pretty awful), cannibal fans will be pleased with this one. It sure is the best way to see CH today. I'm pretty sure that the Grindhouse release will beat this one i every way though.

Crazferret
08-22-2001, 04:53 AM
I just bought this on EBay. I got the laserdisc, but haven't received it yet. Can I get some opinions from people who have seens it? Please don't give anything away! The less I know about a film before seeing it, the better.....thanks!

skinnypuppy6
08-22-2001, 05:51 AM
its a great film i also own the ld and am very happy with it however i heard the ld isnt truely uncut that there was some "tampering " done during some of the more "disturbing" scenes to alter the picture when you watch it youll see but i dont know if what i heard is true or not but the ld version is still A+ cant wait for the grindhouse!!!!!

skinnypuppy6
08-22-2001, 05:52 AM
oh and by the way the first 1000 came with a poster iwas lucky to get one!! i hope you enjoy it!!!:)

Jason25
08-22-2001, 07:16 AM
Sweet deal, I need to pick this baby up. Hard to keep up with all of these great releases coming out lately.

DVD Connoisseur
08-22-2001, 08:53 PM
...this movie tends to be rated No.1 on the Top 10 lists.

It's certainly the finest of the Cannibal movies - the Grindhouse release must be one of the most eagerly awaited horror DVDs, especially as Suspiria is nearly with us. There's been a lot of debate over the piranha scene. I believe it is going to be an "extra" and not inserted in the movie itself. Time will tell.

Werner Von Wallenrod
08-23-2001, 01:18 AM
Well, the piranha scene was NOT in the theatrical print Grindhouse screened...

skinnypuppy6
08-23-2001, 01:57 AM
they say the pirahna scene was never filmed but there is a refrence to it in the film but on the ld all you get is a still WTF why wpould you only take a still photo and not film the scene????? as for the ld i read there was some doctoring done to tone it down a little. I dont know. i want a TRUE uncut version!!!!!!