PDA

View Full Version : October Underground

rhett
09-10-2004, 02:46 AM
Blue Underground has announced the specs to their latest batch of horror titles that will street the week of Halloween. October 26th will see the release of the European horror films, Michael Armstrong's Mark of the Devil, Aldo Lado's Night Train Murders, Giulio Berruti's Killer Nun, and a re-issue of Jess Franco's The Bloody Judge from the Franco DVD set. All four films will retail for $19.95 and will include a number of supplements:

Mark of the Devil
1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen
Dolby Digital mono
Audio commentary by director Michael Armstrong
“Fear and Loathing in Austria”: Interview with star Udo Kier
“The Devil’s Torturer”: Interview with star Herbert Fux
“Burn, Gaby, Burn”: Interview with star Gaby Fuchs
“The Devil’s Assaulted”: Interview with star Ingeborg Shöner
Theatrical trailer
Radio spots
Poster/still galleries

Night Train Murders
1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen
Dolby Digital mono
“Riding the Night Train”: Interview with co-writer/director Aldo Lado
Theatrical trailer
Radio spots
Poster/still galleries

Killer Nun
1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen
Dolby Digital mono
“From the Secret Files of the Vatican”: Interview with co-writer/director Giulio Berruti
Theatrical trailer
Poster/still galleries

The Bloody Judge
2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen
Dolby Digital mono
“Bloody Jess”: Interviews with director Franco and star Christopher Lee
Deleted scene
Alternative scenes
Theatrical trailers
TV spot
Radio spots
Poster/still galleries
Talent bios

It has already been a great fall with releases of Dawn of the Dead and Videodrome, and the Blue is making the horror fan's Christmas equivalent all the more merry. Thanks for Fangoria for the details.

Damage
09-10-2004, 03:38 AM
Bloody Judge... Christopher Lee freaking rules! This is probably the same DVD that was in the previous Christopher Lee Collection (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000096IBZ/ref=ase_dvdaficionado/002-1165839-6670451?v=glance&s=dvd), right?

Cyberdemon
09-10-2004, 04:22 AM
So how do the films stack up?

HellRazor
09-10-2004, 05:45 AM
Will MARK OF THE DEVIL be uncut this time?

betterdan
09-10-2004, 05:47 AM
What was cut on the old disc?

Erick H.
09-10-2004, 06:56 AM
I always thought the old Anchor Bay dvd of MARK looked like it was cropped.Can anybody confirm that ?

puddytay
09-10-2004, 07:00 AM
I've never heard of any of these are they any good?

Erick H.
09-10-2004, 07:33 AM
The only one I've seen was MARK OF THE DEVIL,which (to me)was unpleasant but interresting.Depends on your tolerance for cinematic tourture scenes.In that genre,I liked THE WITCHFINDER GENERAL better.These all have cult followings though.

dwatts
09-10-2004, 11:18 AM
I have the UK version of Mark of the Devil. Nice extras on that one, interested to see if they're duplicated here. The film is indeed a lot like "Witchfinder General" with a lot more torture. It's badly dubbed. The UK version is cut for around 30 seconds.

Huge thumbs down to Blue Underground. "The Bloody Judge" was the "Exclusive" disc in their Chris Lee box set - and now they put it out on its own? That's BS.

Joni Backman
09-10-2004, 11:27 AM
What was cut on the old disc?

Taken from IMDB's alternate versions:

"Although the Anchor Bay version claims to be uncut, it is actually missing some minor footage during a few scenes. The brief cuts are as follows:
The scene where the girl's feet have been burned by a hot poker has been shortened.
The whipping sequence has been slightly trimmed.
A brief shot showing a woman with her breasts exposed, looking out and shutting a window, has been cut."

The Anchor Bay UK's DVD is cut 38 secs by the BBFC.

The Dutch DVD (anamorphic, without any extras) is fully uncut. I'm sure Blue Underground releases the complete version.

edit:
I have the UK version of Mark of the Devil. Nice extras on that one, interested to see if they're duplicated here.
AB UK:
Audio commentary with director/co-writer Michael Armstrong, moderated by Jonathan Sothcott
Theatrical trailer
Extensive stills and poster gallery
"Marked By The Devil: An Interview with Michael Armstrong" -featurette
Production notes

BU:
Audio commentary by director Michael Armstrong
“Fear and Loathing in Austria”: Interview with star Udo Kier
“The Devil’s Torturer”: Interview with star Herbert Fux
“Burn, Gaby, Burn”: Interview with star Gaby Fuchs
“The Devil’s Assaulted”: Interview with star Ingeborg Shöner
Theatrical trailer
Radio spots
Poster/still galleries

Blue Underground seems to be missing 'Marked By The Devil' interview with Michael Armstrong, AB UK four interviews.

badnewsbrown
09-10-2004, 11:55 AM
what i'm really looking forward to is the blind dead boxset from blue underground. :evil: :evil: :evil:

betterdan
09-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Thanks joni.:)

hell ya!
09-11-2004, 05:59 PM
Mark of the Devil and Night Train Murders for me. It's good that BU is releasing The Bloody Judge seperate becuase now the people that wanted it but couldn't afford the whole boxset can pick it up. These discs seem to be another solid effort by BU, can't wait to watch them.

meep
09-11-2004, 06:08 PM
The night train murders is a pretty twisted film. I should be getting an early copy of it soon I'll let you know how it looks.

rhett
09-11-2004, 06:09 PM
I am really looking forward to NIGHT TRAIN MURDERS, since Lado's other two films, SHORT NIGHT OF GLASS DOLLS and WHO SAW HER DIE? (both from AB's Giallo Collection) were solid films. The extras on all these releases sound great too, considering most films of this ilk usually squeeze by with nothing but a menu.

dwatts
09-11-2004, 07:09 PM
-- It's good that BU is releasing The Bloody Judge seperate becuase now the people that wanted it but couldn't afford the whole boxset can pick it up.--

What about the lie to the those that bought the box set on the strength of that exclusive disc?

rhett
09-11-2004, 08:02 PM
-- It's good that BU is releasing The Bloody Judge seperate becuase now the people that wanted it but couldn't afford the whole boxset can pick it up.--

What about the lie to the those that bought the box set on the strength of that exclusive disc?
You got the disc months before anyone else, simple as that. It is not like they are taking a product away from you, you still own it and get to enjoy it. They are simply releasing it for those who don't want to spring a ton of money on a box set. And if you are someone who bought the entire set solely for that one film, then the joke is on you.

dwatts
09-11-2004, 10:17 PM
Sure. They advertised it as an EXCLUSIVE. Which clearly it is not. Still, we live in the "Blue Underground can do know wrong world" :rolleyes:

Why didn't they advertise it as "you'll get this disc months before everyone else disc"? Easy, they sold more boxes if they lied. They sold the box under the pretence you were paying for something you wouldn't be able to get anywhere else. Then they reversed themselves. The longer we appluad such such nonsense, the more it will happen.

dwatts
09-11-2004, 10:28 PM
I just hopped over to Blue Undergrounds site to see if they had updated their description of that "Limited Edition" box (the only thing limited now is the thin cardboard it was wrapped it).

Here's what the description STILL says: "And in Franco’s THE BLOODY JUDGE – exclusive to this collection – Lee portrays the real-life witchfinder whose spree of torture and perversion shocked the world."

:D I pity the fool who believes that in the world of DVD :D

hell ya!
09-12-2004, 01:59 AM

Like rhett said then thoes people got to enjoy the disc for a whole year.

X-human
09-15-2004, 01:53 AM
They are simply releasing it for those who don't want to spring a ton of money on a box set.

But the boxset is cheaper then buying all the disks seperately. It's 36 bucks on Overstock.com, is that really such a burden? It's about $48 to buy each individual disc shopping smart.

It just seems to me that anyone interested in Bloody Judge would probably want the rest anyways, the box sets is the smart way to go.

Boxset retail: $59.95
Single Disk retail: $19.95

If would cost you $60 for the three retail discs anyways and you get a fourth movie in the boxset to boot. And generally that's the case with most other boxsets, you usually get a disk free when compared to buying each seperatly. And the mark down is even better for boxsets then single discs.

I pitty the fool who buys each disc retail on its' own thinking they're saving a ton of money.