PDA

View Full Version : Best Cronenberg special edition DVD?

rhett
09-12-2004, 04:23 PM
With special edition releases and reissues of VIDEODROME, RABID, FAST COMPANY and NAKED LUNCH, this year seems very much to be year of the Cronenberg special edition. Of all the Cronenberg special editions available, which one is your favorite?

dwatts
09-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Had to go with Naked Lunch myself. Mind you, Videodrome (Criterion) is a close close second. Of the others, Spider isn't bad as far as having a commentary is concerned, but considering it's based on a novel, I'd like to have heard from the author. The "featurettes" are annoyingly broken out into seperate parts of a few minutes of length each.

Fast Company gets kudos because of the two early films included. But they don't enhance the main feature really, so I don't rate them as highly. It was certainly a nice addition though.

The Dead Ringers extras are cool, but not as expansive as more modern Criterions. The Canadian eXistenZ is packd to the gils with commentaries, but some of them are really just sporadic talking, and not very interesting.

I don't have the Rabid disc because it's not anamorphic.

onebyone
09-12-2004, 04:41 PM
I went with Naked Lunch, with Videodrome as a close second. One day I hope to have a Crash SE that blows them all away. In fact, I will just sit here and hold my breath until that happens.

dwatts
09-12-2004, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I emailed Criterion about their resurrecting the LD they did, but they replied that they no longer have rights. Still, maybe they'll grab them in the future? Crash would be SWEET. I want my 5.1 dammit.

rhett
09-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Well, you'd think New Line would try and release a decent special edition, since they have done so well for themselves with their Platinum and Infinifilm DVD lines.

And what about Scanners and The Fly? I remember reading about special editions being planned for those two. Any news on whether these are still being readied?

indiephantom
09-12-2004, 06:45 PM
Videodrome

fceurich39
09-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Videodrome
OF COURSE BUT TOO PRICEY

Morg
09-12-2004, 07:38 PM
Naked Lunch. Not my favorite Cronengerg though. I'd like to get my hands on a Criterion Collection of Dead Ringers. They're out there, but quite pricey.

ArtofFighting
09-12-2004, 07:46 PM
I've got to go with Videodrome. I think I'm a bit biased since it's once of my all-time favorite movies, but even despite that, I still can't get over the total package of it all. From the outstanding box design (with the mock video tape motif on the cover), to the plethora of special features, to the incredible work they did on the visual aspect of the film (at least in comparison to the transfer on the previous region 1 Universal release). I really couldn't have asked for a better release. Thank you Criterion!

Anthropophagus
09-12-2004, 08:08 PM
Rabid, I prefer Cronenberg during the seventies canadian tax shelter phase and the budgetary constraints this entailed. Great film, cool DVD at a reasonable price. My favorite Cronenberg with Shivers a close second.

MartinD1
09-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Obviously, at least for me, Videodrome. Naked Lunch close second.
I believe that Videodrome Criterion Collection is a DEFINITIVE edition of this movie on DVD as well as Naked Lunch, but the packaging on Videodrome is so great you'd think what if they had came out with something "Cronebergian" in the Naked Lunch packaging, that would have certainly rocked. I hope you get my idea, what if the Naked Lunch packaging would have been something like Anchor's Bay book of the Dead, but instead of the Necronomicon it had the shape of something from Naked Lunch. Anyway, Criterion is not into that stuff, but it would be cool.
I suppose anyone remembers seeing or has SE7EN from New Line 2-disc Edition, it's like the books from the movie.

Something like this:
http://pasila.lib.hel.fi/~basse/tmp/powderbug.jpg
But well, where to put that ? ;-)

Morg
09-12-2004, 11:46 PM
Rabid, I prefer Cronenberg during the seventies canadian tax shelter phase and the budgetary constraints this entailed. Great film, cool DVD at a reasonable price. My favorite Cronenberg with Shivers a close second.
Yeah, I agree with you as far as my favorite of his movies go. I think Shivers is underrated, a great low budget horror film. Third up for me is easily The Brood. I've held off buying Scanners in the hopes of seeing a SE, but may need to make that $9.99 sacrifice. I have not watched Fast Co. yet, but I have it and will be giving that a spin soon.

Jason25
09-15-2004, 04:32 AM
Dead Ringers, good DVD, amazing film. Easily my favorite Cronenberg film and a DVD that I think gets the job done.

indiephantom
07-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Just finally picked up the CC "Naked Lunch". It's a very close second to "Videodrome" for me. I like the film better with each viewing. It just sucks you in to its warped world. The transfer is mostly quite good and I haven't gone through them, but the extras do look pretty respectable.

BoredSeal
07-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Hmm, I would vote for The Fly 2DVD SE, it was great but it's not in the list yet :)

tobaccoman
07-09-2006, 10:48 AM
I agree completely BoredSeal. After reading your comment, I realized I hadn't even dug into the special features (other than the deleted "cat-monkey" scene of course) so I started the documentary. I got about two hours into it before having to go to work, but with that just being a part of the features and there still being a shitload more I am in complete awe over this. More so than when I originally bought it even.

Chad
08-08-2006, 07:42 AM
For me it's most definitely the "Videodrome" CC. The Cronenberg commentary is one of the best I've heard in awhile. And I'm still working my way through all the special features it offers.