PDA

View Full Version : Will you be buying the Friday the 13th box set?

rhett
09-19-2004, 08:22 PM
Much has been said about the upcoming Friday the 13th - From Crystal Lake to Manhattan box set (review here (http://www.horrordvds.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewreview&op=lastreview&id=142)), some praising the thought of new interview footage and commentaries, others balking at the absence of uncut prints. Others sit on the fence, happy with what is there, but regretful for what is not. Where do you stand? Will you be giving Paramount your money (again)?

dayglo
09-19-2004, 08:27 PM
I haven't quite decided yet, especially since it was recently said that they might revisit them again. That is if more materials end up being found, which I suspect they will.

Overall it's a good price for 8 movies and a bonus disc. Still thinking about it though, I guess I'll know on October 6th, or whenever the release date is.

dwatts
09-19-2004, 08:28 PM
Zombie 3 had a poll on this a ways back:

Here's the poll results (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=18590)

Some time has passed since then, of course. As an update to that poll I'd say that the recent find of the box set on pre-order for $27 is tempting. Anything over that - no way. Price can always change ones mind, I suppose. Even $30 is too much to pay for this though.

rhett
09-19-2004, 08:35 PM
Zombie 3 had a poll on this a ways back:

Here's the poll results (http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=18590)

Some time has passed since then, of course. As an update to that poll I'd say that the recent find of the box set on pre-order for $27 is tempting. Anything over that - no way. Price can always change ones mind, I suppose. Even $30 is too much to pay for this though.
Yeah, it's been awhile though, so I figured there would be plenty of swayed opinions as the release date approaches. I also wanted to narrow it down a little more too, and just have something Friday related for the front page.

life_o_petey
09-19-2004, 08:37 PM
i didn't get any of the original releases, so getting all 8 for under $30 was hard to pass up. Even though i'm definitely not happy with the way paramount put the set together, i'll get this one and pass on any future releases.

Grim
09-19-2004, 08:37 PM
Yes. I'ts gonna be the best set available for these films, and I've never seen the uncut versions (except the original, which I own on R3) so it isn't like it's missing any of the great moments that I remember. Had I bought all of the original singles, I might be a bit more apprehensive, but since I only own the R3 of Part 1, the Paramount single of Part 3, JGTH and Jason X, I don't really feel like it'd be a waste.

Great review, Rhett, just one minor mistake. It was Steve Christie who was trying to re-open the camp in the original, not Bill. Other than that, once again a great job. :)

atann
09-19-2004, 08:38 PM
I live in the UK. We get Friday the 13th uncut because if is disputed though Warner Brothers here, I won't be buying this box set it should be uncut! I will wait and see if Warner Brothers get the rights for all of them on region 2. Then we will finally see them as they should be seen.

Damed
09-19-2004, 09:20 PM
Yes. I've waited on purchasing the single discs for this. Uncut would have been the best, but you have to take what you can get. If this set sells really well, who knows - maybe we'll get SE's (Like Star Trek) of each film down the line.

Anthropophagus
09-19-2004, 09:58 PM
No way, Paramount really dropped the ball on this. :(

fceurich39
09-19-2004, 10:18 PM
i was going to buy it when i heard that all 8 movies were uncut but not now if the bonus features had all uncut footage from all 8 movies i would get it but no sale

y2doublet
09-19-2004, 10:36 PM
I'm buying it for sure. Some decent sounding extras and all the flicks (of which I only own three now) slapped together in a box set which I can find for around $30 on-line sounds like a good purchase to me. Plus I own the R2 uncut version of the first one so I'm all set (it's really the only one of them I regard as a really good film, the others are pure nostalgia).

mkayers
09-19-2004, 11:36 PM
I've been putting off picking up the singles too just because it's easier to do it all in one shot so I will definitely be picking this up too.

Ash28M
09-19-2004, 11:55 PM
I might buy parts 2-4 if they are going to be released separately (I already have the R2 of part 1 so Iíll only get it again if it is going to be releases separately in a too pack with part 2) the other films of the series just arenít very good IMO. I really donít see that big of a deal with part 1 being cut. I mean I compared my R2 uncut version the other day with my old VHS tape and the cuts were like a second of footage, if it was even that much. I had to keep rewinding the tape as I was having a hard time picking up the differences even on a side-by-side comparison. I finally did notice it but gees. Sure I prefer to have the 1-second of extra gore included in the uncut version, but people are really making too big of a deal out of this.

bigdaddyhorse
09-19-2004, 11:56 PM
I'm trying to prevent myself from buying this and any other Paramount title until the un-cut set surfaces.
It's gonna be tough to pass by it at BB with that other disc though. Maybe if it's around $30 at BB I'll break, but I'm gonna try not too. It also will depend on if anywhere around here has the set or discs to rent. If they do, I will rent and dub (that's right Paramount lawyer bitches, come try and get me!)

No matter if I crack on this or not, my Paramount boycott remains in full effect.

Peoples Icon
09-20-2004, 12:04 AM
Hells Yeah! I'll be buying that the minute it hits Best Buy! I sold all my other Friday's on dvd so I can get the box set! Can't wait to get it! But this week I'll be buying the Star Wars trilogy!!!!!

Damage
09-20-2004, 01:42 AM
Yes, I'll be picking this up since I still haven't gotten around to getting the individual F13 DVDs yet... This price can't be beat. I still think Paramount are weasels though. Look at what they charge for their Star Trek boxsets.

ekent
09-20-2004, 01:49 AM
I already sold my originals on ebay in anticipation of this set. Bring it on. Limited features are better than no features, and frankly, I could use some shelf space.

H0MOSareGAY
09-20-2004, 01:56 AM
No way in hell. I'm just going to grab some DVD-Rs. When paramount decides to quit shitting on their fans, then they'll get my money.

rxfiend
09-20-2004, 02:53 AM
i was not going to buy this since i was pissed at paramount for their lack of uncut versions. however, i was able to sell my bare bone dvds for a decent price, so now i will spring for the box.

zombi3
09-20-2004, 04:44 AM
No uncut, no sale. End of story! :fire:

onebyone
09-20-2004, 05:01 AM
i was not going to buy this since i was pissed at paramount for their lack of uncut versions. however, i was able to sell my bare bone dvds for a decent price, so now i will spring for the box.

Me too. I sold them at the cost of the set, so I am good.

I meant not to buy the set, but then rhett convinced me to do so. The bastard! I am very happy they aren't double sided discs because I hate those, and the extras are too sweet for me to resist. I am still keeping the uncut Friday the 13th R2 though.

puddytay
09-20-2004, 05:07 AM
keeping what I have and going to copy the bonus disc.

Mortis
09-20-2004, 06:56 AM
I'm getting it because I don't have any of them on DVD. It's not the best set, but it's decent.

Erick H.
09-20-2004, 07:53 AM
If I can get it at a nice price,I'm in.I don't own any of the singles.The extras sound nice,too bad they didn't do audio comms. for all of them ,though.If the original audio tracks still existed,new 5.1 mixes would've been nice.

Arkiliknam
09-20-2004, 11:01 AM
I just want to shout out my anger at the big name companies. Argh! They are so damn good when it comes to making money!!! Its such a good idea, to release a box set like this now, and later down the track, maybe 5 years or so, release an uncut awesome version. Why? BEcause I am sure that we'll all want that one, even if we did own this one... just like the Alien set, Legacy was good, but they brought Quadrillogy out 5 years or so later, and most of the fans bought the new one! Well, thats the way the world goes round. Personally, I like to wait until the mega version comes out, and while I'm waiting pick up a cheap copy to keep me entertained. It might be wrong, but then again so is rereleasing plans like this.

-Arkiliknam :evil:

Joni Backman
09-20-2004, 02:07 PM
I'm willing to pay 62cad (39Ä / $47) only for extras and nice looking box.

I own all the R1 singles (and unrated part 1) but if I'd sell the R1 singles, I could get only about 2 or 3Ä a piece.

Every part has been on sale in Finland this summer. They were 4Ä a piece including unrated R2.

So I'll keep the singles for the covers (and maybe for the picture quality if there really is some minor difference).

Of course it sucks that there's no unrated footage back in the films, and not all the unrated footage as extras but in my opinion this set isn't anyway more fucked up than New Line's Elm Street box.

Elm box also includes trimmed R-rated versions of parts 1 & 5 even when they always have been in unrated form in many countries. Part 5 has been released in U.S. as unrated VHS if I'm not mistaken. And Elm Street box doesn't have any unrated footage even as extras.

Myron Breck
09-20-2004, 06:59 PM
I've done some bitching about this set already. I fear there to be something better on the horizon for this series and would rather wait; but I bought all of the barebones discs first time around, sold them, and will only have to shell out around $15 for this (lame) upgrade.
I love this series and will probably cave. I hate myself.

wago70
09-20-2004, 07:46 PM
I'll be buying this set - it's got more than I expected. I just cannot warm up to that new "Friday" font. It would have been so charming had they stuck with the original fonts and artworks.
Still - I'm looking forward to this. I'm keeping my single-discs of Parts 1 - 4 but may hand off Parts 5, 6 and 7 to someone else.

Dave
09-20-2004, 08:02 PM
I'm all over this set and think we're damn lucky to get it at all.

Mok
09-20-2004, 09:35 PM
I guess as someone who owns the single issues of these, I have to ask myself, "would I buy a stand-alone "special features" disc?" I don't know if I necessarily would - it would depend a lot on presentation and price. Commentary? Who watches commentary more than once? - that's no swaying factor for me. I'm only interested in the SF disk, which I don't think is enough to make me double-dip.

indiephantom
09-20-2004, 09:46 PM
What Dave said.

I have five of the Paramount releases already, but to me this is a must-own set despite the complaints.

Grim
09-20-2004, 10:41 PM
No doubt there will probably be a better box set released a couple years from now, but at this point I just don't really care.

Evil Dead Guy
09-20-2004, 11:03 PM
Yes , to bad it's not uncut , that's the real disappointment here . Well anyway i have to have this , it will look nice right next to my Nightmare on Elm street set . Cannot wait to watch Jason slay all thoughs over sexed teeny boppers , i hope this set has very decient extra's .

fcalderon
09-21-2004, 12:13 AM
I hate the fact that they haven't released the uncut versions in the box set. But I'm buying it anyways 'cuz I only have the first movie (uncut) in R2.

Also it must be lots of fun to watch the guys in the interviews. :cool:

See you at the chat room,
Franco

bigwes15
09-21-2004, 02:25 AM
yes, I am in for this. I also sold all of my single discs a while back when I heard this was coming. Of course I was hoping for more uncut footage, but hopefully it will come along in the next few years if enough of us buy this, and i will shell out for that too because I love these movies. In a dream world Paramount will give up these movies to new line and we will see the set we deserve in a few more years!

Salty
09-21-2004, 03:05 AM
I really don't understand all the negativity toward this set. I would have loved a 3D transfer and some glasses for part three, but otherwise this set looks fantastic. I honestly could not care less about a few extra seconds of gore not being edited back into the film, especially when it is available as a supplement. AB would surely have done us better but this set is amazing for a Paramount release.

MartinD1
09-21-2004, 03:37 AM
I won't buy this pack because I only like the Original AND Part 4, I don't need or want to pay for the rest.

thrashard76
09-21-2004, 10:13 AM
No uncut, no sale.

Lawrence
09-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Im definitlety buying it. I sold all my old UK VHS copies years ago and have been waiting for ages to get them in a DVD box set. Its a real shame they aren't uncut but at least UK buyers will get a bit of extra gore (if they didnt buy the later stand alone DVDs) as the previous VHS copies were cut even more by the BBFC. Over a minute was cut from Part 5 and the machete slide from Pt 4 was also cut. I also have the uncut Part 1 on DVD which suits me fine.

Guess i can just sell this box on Ebay if something better comes along in a few years!

DVD Connoisseur
09-22-2004, 12:29 AM
Well mine's been shipped - should be with me within the next 7 - 14 days. As I hadn't taken the plunge before on these movies on DVD, I decided it was time to give them a spin.

maybrick
09-22-2004, 05:51 AM
I'm a fan, but not that much of a fan. I have the original discs, and that's good enough for me.

Cyberdemon
09-22-2004, 08:19 AM
Pre-ordered with DeepdiscountDVD...

Tuzotonic
09-23-2004, 04:40 AM
it's worth having the first eight movies in one collection. Although I am disappointed that none of the films are uncut, this box set is actually better than I originally anticipated. I have never bought any of the single discs because I wanted all of them at the same time. I can't pass this up, until they are released uncut, this is probably the best we'll get.

Silent Noize
09-23-2004, 04:25 PM
Will you be buying the Friday the 13th box set?
No, I think this is a half-assed set. I will probally just wait for the SE set's.

speanroc
09-23-2004, 06:31 PM
No, I think this is a half-assed set. I will probally just wait for the SE set's.

this is probably all we are gonna get , unless paramount sells the rights, so in essence this is the SE set

Morg
09-23-2004, 07:05 PM
No uncut, no sale!

drterror666
09-24-2004, 06:39 PM
Three words: No. Fucking. Sale! :fire:

DVD Connoisseur
09-24-2004, 08:34 PM
My box arrived this morning. No regrets. Looks a good 'un!
While I'm usually a real purist and will seek out a US DVD rather than a UK DVD for an extra second of footage (XXX, The Matrix, etc.), this is the best that's out there at the moment (excluding the uncut 1st disc) so I've taken the plunge and, if you don't have the films already, it's a decent package.

tobaccoman
09-24-2004, 09:14 PM
Oh Hell Yeah, as I have yet to pick up any of these installments. In fact, The only Friday movie I had was Jason X and a friend of mine borrowed it out to another friend who later pawned it along with my Nightmare On Elm Street collection. At least I got a new Nightmare box set for christmas to replace it! Now I will have to get Jason Goes To Hell, Jason X (again), and Freddy Vs. Jason to complete my series'.

zombi3
09-26-2004, 03:41 PM
Oh Hell Yeah, as I have yet to pick up any of these installments. In fact, The only Friday movie I had was Jason X and a friend of mine borrowed it out to another friend who later pawned it along with my Nightmare On Elm Street collection. At least I got a new Nightmare box set for christmas to replace it! Now I will have to get Jason Goes To Hell, Jason X (again), and Freddy Vs. Jason to complete my series'.

Dude, you may want to re-evaluate who your friends are...j/k;)

Guyver99
10-17-2004, 04:49 AM
I kept my pre-order and I don't regret it one single bit. Paramount put in a heck of a lot more effort in this release than I thought they ever would. I was epecting 5 minute extras for each film. Instead, they made an almost 2 hour documentary from part 1-8--and then some. I don't know if they're going to top themselves with the uncut editions but this is a heck of a deal for all 8 films together plus a ton of extras for a franchise Paramount is supposedly ashamed of.

rxfiend
10-17-2004, 06:18 AM
i was disappointed with the Killer Extras disc. basically a bunch of talking heads with some movie clips thrown in. where's the behind the scenes stuff, even photos and what not. they could have easily gotten a lot of photos off websites (i'm sure the sites wouldn't have mind) and added them. The disc seems half assed, and i'm not surprised. I thought the featurette on the foreign F13th SE dvd is much better than what Paramount put together.

Fumi
10-24-2004, 02:36 AM
No. They're the exact same movies I've already got. Why would I buy them again?

Extras are nice. If they would have put them on the discs in the first place, I would have happily paid 50 cents extra for them. Too late now. I'm sure as hell not going to buy two sets of the same movies when I could spend the money on stuff I haven't got yet.

zombiexfan
11-01-2004, 08:04 AM
personaly i like part 1-3 only.. how much is this box set going for?

blackchristmas
05-08-2005, 10:04 PM
You people buying this crap, if we never get a special edition uncut boxset, its your fault. For Chrissake, don't let them milk you. Actually, I've heard news of a great set coming out, one that movies of this calibur deserve. Ya know, uncut, tons of features, all kinds of stuff. I hope its more than just a rumor. Oh yeah, and by the way, I voted THE HILLS HAVE EYES as my favorite backwoods movie, what about you guys(not to say that I don't love TCM, the burning, etc., i do, but there is something about THE HILLS HAVE EYES that just gets to me, it freaks me out and makes me tense more than most movies, and thats why I like it, its HORROR.) PARAMOUNT SUCKS UNLESS I SEE AN UNCUT BOXSET!!!!!!!!

SaviniFan
05-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Quite the contrary, I would be more inclined to believe that if you buy this crap that it would show studios like Paramount that there indeed is an audience for this. And I'd be willing to bet no matter what, Paramount will not give you the uncut versions. "Nuff said."

dwatts
05-08-2005, 10:23 PM
Strange though that the pirates are often able to do it - isn't it? I mean, think about it, Pirates live on the high-seas, in Long boats. They have a poor diet, one eye, and a parrot on their shoulder, and have to spend a large part of their day swashbuckling. Yet still, despite all that - they find time to splice together uncut versions of some movies, to burn them on DVD, and to sell them on Ebay.

You gotta applaud the tenacity of those buggers.

RyanPC
05-08-2005, 10:27 PM
Strange though that the pirates are often able to do it - isn't it? I mean, think about it, Pirates live on the high-seas, in Long boats. They have a poor diet, one eye, and a parrot on their shoulder, and have to spend a large part of their day swashbuckling. Yet still, despite all that - they find time to splice together uncut versions of some movies, to burn them on DVD, and to sell them on Ebay.

You gotta applaud the tenacity of those buggers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/RyanPC/arrgh.jpg

dwatts
05-08-2005, 10:47 PM
There's one! Scumbag :D

Luna
05-08-2005, 11:11 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: