PDA

View Full Version : Discontinued Criterions

rhett
09-19-2004, 10:39 PM
Various retailers have confirmed that the following Criterion DVDs have been discontinued:

Blood For Dracula
Five Hitchcock Thrillers Box
Flesh For Frankenstein
Notorious
Rebecca

Many of these titles can still be found online, so get them before they are gone.

life_o_petey
09-19-2004, 10:47 PM
i have all of them except Lady Vanishes (in the criterion box). any word if the single release on that is going OOP?

RyanPC
09-20-2004, 01:19 AM
Damn, I'd better get Blood for Dracula and Flesh for Frankenstein soon. :(

Grim
09-20-2004, 03:24 AM
Guess I know what my next purchase will be. $60 of Udo Kier.

Cyberdemon
09-20-2004, 03:51 AM
Time for eBay madness to begin (again)

SaviniFan
09-20-2004, 04:21 AM
Just ordered Blood for Dracula from Amazon.

Guyver99
09-20-2004, 05:28 AM
The Lady Vanishes and the 39 Steps will still be produced. The other three from the Hitchcock box (Notorious, Rebecca, and Spellbound) are already OOP--although I'm sure you can still find them readily online for quite a while. MGM is projected to be releasing those films in their own Hitchcock box set sometime this year.

patmcgahern
09-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Hey Rhett, Thanks for the heads up, on a wild search to pick these up I discovered the R2 double feature edition from Germany that has all those features and more for one low price.

X-human
09-21-2004, 02:13 AM
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/frankenstein.htm
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/blooddracula.htm

Criterion's transfer looks much better.

SaviniFan
09-21-2004, 02:46 AM
Oh yeah. Much less detail in the region 2 version judgeing from those pictures.

John Gargo
09-21-2004, 03:36 AM
I'm never parting with my BLOOD FOR DRACULA and FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN discs. Those films are classics.

Why is it that all the Criterions that are worth owning are the ones to get discontinued?

dwatts
09-21-2004, 09:47 AM
This information is confirmed on the Criterion web page.

patmcgahern
09-21-2004, 11:26 AM
I have Flesh for Frankenstein in 3-D, so I really am only after the commentary, never been a fan of Dracula but, this double feature may open my eyes. Also, the picture's nearly identical on both of them, it's not like the A/V is great on the criterion anyway.

Curt Duncan
09-21-2004, 05:18 PM
I found the Hitchcock Criterion box set over a week ago at Best Buy for only 150 bucks Canadian. :cool:

Tye
09-21-2004, 08:14 PM
Spellbound from Hitchcock as well (but I guess that one would be part of the 5-disc boxset).
I saw that the Hitchcock titles were OOP so I hurried and purchased Rebecca (Notorious was still available but $$$$ was an issue....damnit).
I'll have to keep in mind Blood for Dracula and Flesh for Frankenstein this weekend (hope the $$$$ situation improves)!!
:D

SaviniFan
09-21-2004, 08:49 PM
I got Flesh for Frankenstein CC yesterday from my local Borders, and my Blood for Dracula should arrive in the mail soon. I've been wanting these 2 for quite some time, but I kept holding off because of the usual Criterion price. Since they are now oop I had to make sure to get mine so I don't have to resort to inflated eBay prices.

Anthropophagus
09-21-2004, 11:09 PM
I have seen Flesh For Frankenstein and Blood For Dracula countless times and quite honestly I don't see what all the fuss is about and why they even deserve the Criterion special treatment. Of the two I prefer the Dracula, but even at that I don't think it's very good. Maybe someone who likes these films could enlighten me as to what the fascination is? I don't mean to disrespect anyone's taste in movies, I guess when it comes to these I just 'don't get it'.

mutleyhyde
09-22-2004, 01:07 AM
I'd be very suspicious whether Criterion has plans to re-release these anamorphically or not. I see they make no mention of future plans on the website (www.criterionco.com), but I'm still suspicious.

Of course, I did pick up a copy of Blood for Dracula today, and have a Flesh for Frankenstein on hold for me. :p

DrGerbil
09-22-2004, 01:13 AM
Flesh For Frankenstein is still available at cd-wow.

EDIT: They sure sold out quickly... :fire:

Morg
09-24-2004, 12:02 AM
Last week I was at Frys and almost picked up Blood For Dracula, as they had about 5 copies of that. They also had 1 copy of Flesh For Frankenstein, I think they ran about $28.00 each. I could kick myself for not getting them now. Guess I'll head back, hope they still have them, or off to the internet I go.

Luna
09-24-2004, 03:57 AM
I got Flesh For Frankenstein a couple of days ago... it looks great! Thanks for the heads up about that one being discontinued. :)

Morg
09-24-2004, 06:28 AM
Lucky me. Still had 1 "Flesh" and a couple of "Bloods". Anyone who's looking in the general area of Anaheim, Ca, the Frys there off of the 91 and 55 Freeways, still had about 4 Blood for Dracula's, I nabbed the last Flesh for Frankenstein though.

Myron Breck
09-24-2004, 07:18 AM
Perhaps someone will release a non-bootleg 3-D version of Frankenstein now...I have the bootleg (as well as the Criterion) and have been enjoying both of them.

Wayne Manor
09-24-2004, 10:58 PM
How much does the 3-D bootleg cost and does it come with anaglyphic glasses, clear spex or...?

mutleyhyde
09-25-2004, 05:55 AM
Please don't discuss bootlegs here folks, take it to email or private messaging.

Thanks!

Tuzotonic
09-26-2004, 02:54 AM
This move really doesn't surprise me, but it does make me sad. I don't think that either Blood for Dracula or Flesh for Frankenstein deserve the Criterion treatment, but they are still fun films that deserve a good DVD release especially Blood for Dracula.

SaviniFan
09-28-2004, 11:49 PM
Bah. I ordered Blood for Dracula from Amazon over a week ago before the site said the title was out of stock, and got an email recently telling me they cannot send it as they have no more. :(

Glad I got Flesh for Frankenstein before the prices shot up like they already have.

Myron Breck
10-03-2004, 04:28 AM
Please don't discuss bootlegs here folks, take it to email or private messaging.

Thanks!

Oops. Sorry. :nervous: