PDA

View Full Version : Slasher Film Make-Up Effects

swr2777
08-21-2001, 01:43 AM
Question for all the slasher fans out there...

Certainly one can't deny the impact that Tom Savini's gruesome, clever make-up effects had on the horror genre, particularly in slasher films and in the work of George Romero.

However, is there anyone out there who is also fond of some of the seminal slasher make-up effects work by other artists from the same era? Tom Burman's work in films like HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME and MY BLOODY VALENTINE comes to mind. Also, despite the heavy MPAA cuts, Carl Fullerton's work in FRIDAY THE 13TH PART II was exceptional, as was then newcomer Ed French's work in SLEEPAWAY CAMP and Mark Shostrom's work in THE MUTILATOR.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Vdlman
08-21-2001, 04:24 PM
I still think Tom Savini ranks head and shoulders above the rest, but I thought Tom Burman's work in Happy Birthday to Me and My Bloody Valentine was very good. Ed French's work in Sleepaway Camp was excellent. Also worth noting is the work of Makeup Effects Labs (Douglas J. White, Allan A. Apone, and Frank Carrisosa) in Friday the 13th Part 3.

swr2777
08-21-2001, 04:30 PM
You know, I had totally forgotten about FRIDAY THE 13TH PT. III. That WAS some good work, and complicated from what I remember, what with all the 3-D stuff. The Jason prosthetics were scary as hell, and good gore effects, too.

rhett
08-21-2001, 08:07 PM
Rob Bottin is one of the best in my opinion. His work in slasher films like Maniac (shared with Savini) and SE7EN were well done, but his work in other horror films like The Thing, The Howling, The Fog have also been amazing.

I've always really liked Greg Cannom's work on A Nightmare on Elm Street 3. He's done makeup on several horror movies like The Exorcist 3, Fright Night 2, The Howling, Blade, Supspecies, Dracula, etc, etc.

Hellbilly
08-21-2001, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by swr2777
[B] The Jason prosthetics were scary as hell, and good gore effects, too.

the gore SFX were excellent, except for the "eye-popping" scene, that one looked so fake!

swr2777
08-22-2001, 12:03 AM
Yeah, I hear you guys.

I guess that popped eye in F 13 Pt. III was pretty fake lookin', seeing as how you could see the string it was hoisted on. Luckily, the gore and Jason prosthetics were much better.

Rob Bottin is such a phenomenal make-up artist. He's got both the artistic talent of predecessors like Dick Smith and Rick Baker, but with the playful, twisted imagination of people like Savini. A large portion of his work ranks with some of the greatest, or at least most imaginative make-up effects of all time. THE THING, TOTAL RECALL, SE7EN, LEGEND...all terrific work.

Personally, I've never been much of a fan of Greg Cannom's more high-profile work like BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA, MRS. DOUBTFIRE, and THINNER, but I've always enjoyed his work on more small-scale projects like VAMP, CURTAINS (GREAT Canadian slasher film) and ELM ST. III. Totally dug the stuff he did on the suicidal kid's slashed open arms and puppeted veins in the latter flick.

Though it's not a slasher film, and you certainly can't beat Rick Baker's AMERICAN WEREWOLF effects from the same year, but I've always felt like Dick Smith's make-up effects in GHOST STORY were some of the most underrated of that era. The effect from the film in this attached file image always creeps me out!

swr2777
08-22-2001, 12:07 AM
Yeah, I hear you guys.

I guess that popped eye in F 13 Pt. III was pretty fake lookin', seeing as how you could see the string it was hoisted on. Luckily, the gore and Jason prosthetics were much better.

Rob Bottin is such a phenomenal make-up artist. He's got both the artistic talent of predecessors like Dick Smith and Rick Baker, but with the playful, twisted imagination of people like Savini. A large portion of his work ranks with some of the greatest, or at least most imaginative make-up effects of all time. THE THING, TOTAL RECALL, SE7EN, LEGEND...all terrific work.

Personally, I've never been much of a fan of Greg Cannom's more high-profile work like BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA, MRS. DOUBTFIRE, and THINNER, but I've always enjoyed his work on more small-scale projects like VAMP, CURTAINS (GREAT Canadian slasher film) and ELM ST. III. Totally dug the stuff he did on the suicidal kid's slashed open arms and puppeted veins in the latter flick.

Though it's not a slasher film, and you certainly can't beat Rick Baker's AMERICAN WEREWOLF effects from the same year, but I've always felt like Dick Smith's make-up effects in GHOST STORY were some of the most underrated of that era. The effect from the film in this attached file image below always creeps me out!

Andrew
08-22-2001, 12:22 AM
I've always prefered Baker to Bottin, but that could be due to the fact that I loved AWIL and the Howling was just ok. Either way, it looks like Baker has made quite a name for himself. He has, what, 5 Academy Awards now?

swr2777
08-22-2001, 12:29 AM
I know what you mean. It's hard to not prefer one make-up artist to another on the basis of a film. Rick Baker is definitely doing well though, like you were saying. Oscars up the wahzoo, and one of the only artists whose been able to bridge the gap well between the special make-up effects revolution in the 80s and the CGI revolution of the 90s and today.

Rick Baker did such great gore in flicks like VIDEODROME and INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN that it almost makes you wonder how well he would have fared in a straight-up slasher film.

Here's an alternative image of the above mentioned DICK SMITH effect from GHOST STORY in the below attachment...

The Chaostar
08-22-2001, 12:35 PM
Talking about f/x in slasher films I'm amazed that none has mentioned Mario Bava's work in Twitch Of The Death Nerve (mother of all slasher films!)!