PDA

View Full Version : Puppet Master Vs Demonic Toys

Dave
10-10-2004, 04:34 AM
This isn't exactly DVD news, but it is a bit of exclusive news that I've managed to gather up. I'm excited about it and wanted to share it with everyone.

Fangoria recently posted a news blurb that Puppet Master vs Demonic Toys was finally in development, and that it will be airing on the Sci-Fi channel this December. The most exciting news of all was that Ted Nicolaou (Subspecies director) was directing the picture. I communicate with Ted from time to time, so I dropped him an email to try and confirm. Ted confirmed everything Fangoria stated, which is great news!

Obscure Artifacts is the company that did the effects on Puppet Master vs Demonic Toys. I've been in contact with them as well and have some additional information to share with everyone.

1) Charles Band/Full Moon had no part in making the movie. The rights have been sold to Sci-Fi; they are the ones who produced the movie. On a purely personal fan note, which is coming only from myself: That's a good thing! Full Moon has gone down hill and has had so many financial problems, I'm glad to see someone else take over. The fact that Ted Nicolaou is so directly involved leaves me very confident this will be a great movie for Full Moon fans.

2) The movie was shot in Sofia, Bulgaria.

3) All puppets / toys were fabricated from scratch. No "leftovers" were used.

Obscure Artifacts was kind enough to send me some pictures - one of Jack-In-The-Box and one of completely redesigned Baby Oopsy. Both look terrific, especially Baby Oopsy - it's a big improvement over the original. I was given permission to post the Jack-In-The-Box picture, but the new Baby Oopsy is off limits - you guys have to wait until December for that.

No solid DVD plans have been released at this point. It's far too early for that. But Sci-Fi has been pretty good about releasing their TV movies, so I'm sure we'll see this sometime in 2005.

Note: A full size pic is available in the actual forum thread, located http://www.horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?p=260867#post260867

Herbert_West
10-11-2004, 06:53 AM
Awesome. This has been in produciton hell forever it seems. I'm glad that Charlie has no attachment to this franchise anymore.
Can't wait till December.
Wonder what puppets we'll see since some 'died' and then reappeared in other installments.

darthray
10-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Yes. I was starting to think that this movie wasn't ever going to happen with the problems that Full Moon was having with coming up the money to do it. I am a big fan of the Puppet Master series and I am looking forward to seeing this movie when it comes out on Sci Fi. I hope it won't be like the dreaded Dollman Vs Demonic Toys which I thought sucked. But to know that Charlie and Full Moon aren't doing this is a good thing I think.

Moviman764
10-13-2004, 07:37 AM
Wow... this is going to be interesting. It may be good, it may be bad, but at least it's getting made. I just hope it has as good a script as the original Demonic Toys. Cause the script worked, the movie itself didn't. And I hope it isn't totally toned down for TV. We shall see!

fceurich39
10-14-2004, 05:38 PM
this movie should be cool

Herbert_West
10-15-2004, 01:28 AM
I hope it won't be like the dreaded Dollman Vs Demonic Toys which I thought sucked.
Well DvsDT was really only like 25% new footage with the rest coming from Dollman, Demonic Toys and Bad Channels. There were some good parts namely Tim Thomerson kicking ass.

Severn
10-15-2004, 03:17 AM
I'm more interested in another Subspecies flick myself.

Guyver99
10-17-2004, 03:20 AM
I'm always up for a Ted Nicolaou film. He always picks the most authentic places to shoot.

fuerstma
10-28-2004, 05:13 AM
This is cool. Hard to get more cheese than two lame franchises duking it out. And I mean that with "mad love". Sign me up.

rxfiend
11-26-2004, 03:47 AM
i was reading over on the fridaythe13thforums.com messageboard about this movie and came across an interesting post by an user named "cody." here it is:

I got in contact with Jeff Farley, who did effects on the movie and sent in that "first look" to Fangoria, and asked him some of the questions I've seen fans of the series' asking. Being a cool guy, he answered them.

Was Charles Band involved with the film, or are the rumors that he sold his rights to Sci Fi true?

Charlie wasn't involved at all. He sold the franchise to Sci Fi. If this one gets good ratings, they'll produce more films in the series.

It's not listed on the MPAA website yet, what rating do you think it would get? Is it gory? Is Baby Oopsy Daisy as foul mouthed as ever?

It would probably get a hard PG-13 (or soft R). Baby Oopsy does have some choice dialogue (He does refer to himself as a "Mr. Harry Balls" during a phone call), but probably not as foul as the previous two films.Ted did write some pretty funny stuff for him to say though. There's not much gore, but there is one gore effect that should make it in. There is a bit of sexual inuendo, though.

What Puppets and Toys appear?

On the side of the puppets:

A) Six-Shooter/Cyber Six-Shooter.
B) Pinhead/Cyber Pinhead.
C) Blade/Cyber Blade.
D) Jester/Cyber Jester.

On the Demonic Toys side:

A) Baby Oopsy.
B) Grizzly.
C) Jack-In-The-Box.

Where is it set?

It is supposed to take place in Los Angeles I believe, though shooting in Sofia brought it's own flavor. We shot most of it on sound stages, with some shooting around locations in Sofia.

How humorous is it?

The script was pretty funny. This, being my third PUPPET MASTER film in a row, probably had the best script (Ted being a great writer) of the 3 (well, RETRO PUPPET MASTER had a good script, it's just that half of it didn't get shot). It doesn't have that "Oh god, the puppets are out to kill us, so there's nothing to do but die" feeling. Humor is sorely needed in films of this nature.

Is there any connection to the previous movies, beyond Corey Feldman's character being the great-nephew of the original Puppet Master?

There is a distant connection to the other films, but it's not really in the forefront. There has been a new "history" written to explain how the puppets are brought to life. I never really cared for the egyptian angle.

How much Puppet vs Toys action should we expect to see?

There will be some fun stuff between the puppets and toys, but to be honest, I feel that the short shooting schedule tempered a bit of the action. We had to simplify some of the action, due to shooting most of the film in practical locations. I have been told by those who have seen the film, that the puppets and toys look great.

Thanks for your interest in the show. I hope we do okay by the fans, because we're never out to short-change anyone. I am proud of what we accomplished for the time and money we had. The fact that we were able to re-design the puppets and toys to certain extent made me happy, because I don't want to rehash the work of others.

Let me know what you think of it. Thanks!

------------------------

sounds good. i'm surprised that CB sold the rights of PM to scifi, i figured it'd just be for one film. but, that's probably a good thing. on an unrelated note, i got around to watching "Dollman Vs Demonic Toys" the other day and really liked it. i haven't seen Dollman or Bad Channels, so the stock footage didn't bother me. While it was very short (barely a hour), it was entertaining nevertheless.

fceurich39
11-26-2004, 10:30 PM
will have my vcr ready to record

Damin J. Toell
11-29-2004, 01:19 AM
Where's Tunneler?!

Luna
11-29-2004, 01:30 AM
I'll miss Torch! :cry:

RyanPC
11-29-2004, 02:53 AM
No Leech Woman? WTF!

fceurich39
11-29-2004, 04:15 AM
where is tunneler and torch may be they will have cameos

chrishicks
12-09-2004, 06:05 AM
just a heads up that this is going to be on pretty soon, Dec. 18th at 9:00pm to be exact, on the Sci-Fi Channel.

get your VCRs, DVD recorders, and TIVOs ready. :D

I have been trying to decide if I want to get a dvd recorder now or wait until next year but am starting to sway toward getting a cheaper version now, instead of getting my originally planned 800.00 Panasonic, and wait to blow that kind of cash on the eventual HD recorder,just so I can have a disc copy of this.

Troma_Fanboy
12-15-2004, 08:56 PM
I have been waiting for another movie with the puppets in it since puppet master 6. Ive been a big fan of puppet master and will be definitely watching this movie on scifi this saturday. :banana:

fceurich39
12-15-2004, 09:24 PM
I Will Be Watching But Not All The Puppets Are Gonna Be In It So I Think It Is Gonna Be A Movie That Is Dissapointing But Will Record It Anyway

Dave
12-15-2004, 09:39 PM
Hey does anyone with a DVD recorder want to do me a favor? PM me for details.

Egg_Shen
12-15-2004, 11:07 PM
I used to watch the Puppet Master films all the time when I was younger. I still watch my LD's from time to time, but the newer films don't use stop motion, and that was a large part of the appeal for me. Does this not bother anyone else? Seeing the puppets move about by themselves was rather cool, and you don't really see them walk around within the screen anymore.

Cujo108
12-16-2004, 12:32 AM
Torch and Tunneler are my two favorite puppets, so neither of them being in this movie is a crying shame. I'll watch anyway, but that's just extremely disappointing.

rxfiend
12-16-2004, 04:06 AM
why record it via a burner when it'll eventually get a legit dvd release next year? i guess if you're a completist and want the "scifi-tv" edit.

Moviman764
12-16-2004, 08:41 AM
If you go to the Sci Fi site, they have a quick add up now. You get to see Blade, Pinhead, and Six Shooter in action, as well as Jack in the Box. I have to say, the puppets look a tad... plastic. I'm still looking forward to the movie, but the new look worries me a bit. Oh, and while Blade and Pinhead look normal, they have given Six Shooter a Terminator eye now. It actually works fairly well on him. It should be interesting to watch this, especially since it seems that the creators are going for a more comedy feel (and a holiday feel as well... oddly enough). Still, my fingers are crossed.

John Gargo
12-16-2004, 03:00 PM
You know this reminds me. I've never actually seen DEMONIC TOYS... is it worth seeking out?

fceurich39
12-17-2004, 01:12 AM
You know this reminds me. I've never actually seen DEMONIC TOYS... is it worth seeking out?
yes it is very campy and cool a must see but avoid dollman vs demonic toys

rxfiend
12-17-2004, 03:45 AM
i liked Dollman Vs DT much better than the original DT.

fceurich39
12-18-2004, 05:25 AM
gonna record this tomorrow

Moviman764
12-18-2004, 10:32 PM
You should check out Demonic Toys just to see one of David Goyer's (all the Blade movies and the new Batman Begins) earlier scripts. Very campy, but with some original, and some what creepy ideas. Totally prime Full Moon material.

Well, the movie is on at 8 tonight (in Chicago), and I cannot wait! Hope it doesn't disappoint.

rxfiend
11-14-2005, 03:00 AM
holy thread resurrection batman! lol

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BO0KOQ/104-2784506-1907115?v=glance&n=130&s=dvd&v=glance

Looks like Anchor Bay is releasing a dvd of this in January 2006. Considering the film has a Christmas theme, you'd think they'd release it BEFORE Christmas....

fceurich39
11-14-2005, 05:21 AM
what that is crazy but i might have to pick this one up since i have all the other films in the series

chrishicks
11-14-2005, 06:50 PM
you know, I still haven't watched this yet. its still sitting on my dvd recorders hdd. maybe I'll just wait and get the dvd now.

rxfiend
12-01-2005, 05:00 AM
http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/Files/013131328295.jpg

another fabulous cover courtesy of Anchor Bay! :lol:

DrHerbertWest
12-01-2005, 07:17 AM
I watched half of this when it debuted and switched it off. Terrible.

VideoViolence
12-02-2005, 05:07 AM
This movie blew big chunks. It had, maybe a few moments, but was a real shitfest. Why'd they even bother?? Everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves.

X-human
12-03-2005, 02:53 AM
I had no idea this was actually getting released, but why'd they hold it off till after the Holidays? It's a christmas movie! I really have to wonder who's in charge at Anchor Bay now. First of all picking up Sci-Fi Channel features isn't exactly money in the bank and delaying a release like that when you've got nothing better coming out? How could January 17th be better than say December 20th? If they could get The Man with the Screaming Brain, Lightening Bug and Alien Apocalypse out in time for Halloween, they should have been able to get Puppet Master vs. Demonic Toys out in time for Christmas. 'Nuff Said.

Except that I'm going to buy it.

X-human
12-07-2005, 06:39 AM
Puppet Master 5 is pretty much the same as Puppet Master 4, after all they were both shot at the same time. Why's one lovable while the other's terrible?

rxfiend
01-21-2006, 04:12 PM
I got the PMvsDT dvd in the mail the other day. I haven't watched this since it premiered on SCIFI over a year ago. Anyway, watching it a second time, I actually enjoyed it much more. I guess i knew how cheesy it was, especially Corey Feldman's acting (i still wish they would have gotten someone else). As for the dvd itself, it's almost barebones. There are a few trailers for upcoming AB releases and the movie itself. Also, I did not notice any difference between what was shown on SCI FI and the dvd version.

Golgo13
01-21-2006, 06:44 PM
The difference is 10 dollars. (6.99 on amazon)

Jamm
01-25-2006, 02:44 AM
Poor Corey Feldman. That's about all I can say.

fceurich39
01-25-2006, 03:34 AM
i thought it was a hilarious bad movie that is entertaining for corey feldman's performance just downright awful it's funny

Katatonia
01-25-2006, 10:49 AM
I just watched it for a second time, and really enjoyed it more than the first. It's a cheesefest, and I love it! The DVD was a steal at $5.74.

walkingdude
03-22-2006, 02:18 AM
Finally just watched this.I knew it was going to be a cheesefest so I didn't have high expectations.I found it quite funny but I hated the design of the puppets and toys.I really wish Full Moon had made this.

fceurich39
03-22-2006, 04:19 AM
Finally just watched this.I knew it was going to be a cheesefest so I didn't have high expectations.I found it quite funny but I hated the design of the puppets and toys.I really wish Full Moon had made this.
same here if full moon would of done this it probably would of been like the first 5 puppet master films and demonic toys which were and still are in my book with the subspecies movies the best full moon films