PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Halloween Sequel?

rhett
10-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Halloween is a week away; it is time to consider one of the horror genre's seminal franchises. It is perennial to revisit John Carpenter's HALLOWEEN every October, but what about the sequels? Which one is your favorite? Does seeing little Danielle Harris run away from the boogeyman get your fancy, or are the sequels with Jamie Lee the only ones worth seeing? How about the lungs on Michelle Williams? Or how about the Myerless oddity, SEASON OF THE WITCH? Take your pick.

SteveG
10-17-2004, 09:44 PM
I think part 2 had the most going for it. Picks up right where the first one left off, and has Jamie Lee, and Dick Warlock does a pretty good job as Myers. I'd go so far to say it's one of the best sequels ever.

walkingdude
10-17-2004, 09:47 PM
Part 3.No question.Most original and a great story.

adric
10-17-2004, 10:03 PM
no producer's cut?

SaviniFan
10-17-2004, 10:25 PM
Part 2. It had it's flaws, but I enjoyed it overall and it was a worthy sequel.

Deaddevilman
10-17-2004, 10:29 PM
Part 2 and that's where they should have ended!

RyanPC
10-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Halloween II by far... however, I also enjoy Halloween 3.

zombi3
10-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Halloween III, all the way! :evil:

fceurich39
10-17-2004, 10:59 PM
i voted for halloween II but i thought all of them except for part 3 and h20 those two were just awful but my favorite is the halloween 6 curse of michael myers producers cut i am happy to have that one dvd why is that one not listed true it was never an official entry but should be i also enjoyed the halloween II producers cut

Silent Noize
10-17-2004, 11:27 PM
Halloween III. Which also happens to be my favorite of the series. Everything after that was shit.

satanservant
10-17-2004, 11:44 PM
Halloween 2......four was good but two is the best of the sequels.

Fumi
10-17-2004, 11:45 PM
Halloween III. Which also happens to be my favorite of the series. Everything after that was shit.

Agreed.

rhett
10-17-2004, 11:46 PM
no producer's cut?
Good call. It has been added.

dwatts
10-18-2004, 12:02 AM
I went with Halloween II. It's just a follow on from the first, so it makes sense. I love this series, as you all know, so maybe my opinion doesn't count. I'm willing to constantly defend every one of these films (except III). :D

Deus Ex Machina
10-18-2004, 12:22 AM
I love three just for the idea...just make more stories about Halloween day/night rather than follow yet another unkillable killer

IGotsNewShoes
10-18-2004, 12:33 AM
Part III, no question about it. Two and three are my favorite sequels but 3 has the more original storyline.

walkingdude
10-18-2004, 01:06 AM
I love three just for the idea...just make more stories about Halloween day/night rather than follow yet another unkillable killerAmen!I think most don't like it because there is mo Mike Myers but it has the best story of any of the sequels and Tom Atkins is always good too! :)

bigdaddyhorse
10-18-2004, 01:23 AM
2 slightly edges out 3 for my vote.
Better kills and girls, plus I always liked how it started right where the first ended.

Guyver99
10-18-2004, 01:24 AM
My personal favorite is Halloween 4. Danielle Harris is surprisingly not annoying as Michael's niece. But they should've stopped the series at part 6.

No Donald Pleasance = No Halloween

Nemesis
10-18-2004, 01:41 AM
Part III has my vote and is also the only sequel i own on dvd

rhett
10-18-2004, 02:46 AM
Danielle Harris is surprisingly not annoying as Michael's niece.
Now that is a complement if I've ever seen one. ;)

I voted for HALLOWEEN II, although I feel it is in many ways a real missed opportunity. With Carpenter so closely involved, it really should have turned out much better. HALLOWEEN 4 & 5 both have some fantastic moments (the end of 4 and the shute/field chases in 5) but in the end both are just too uneven. H20 is actually pretty good, with Jamie Lee giving probably the best performance of the entire series. Michelle Williams stands as a good Laurie Strode protégé too. THE CURSE is a steaming pile of goat shit, although I have yet to see the Producer's Cut. RESURRECTION is the most uneven of all, with the first part being excellent and the last three quarters being throwaway slasher cliche. I always get a lot of enjoyment out of III, even if I think it has been overly praised as something deeper than what it really is. As a new Halloween idea though, it is good B-movie fun.

Overall the HALLOWEEN series has been good enough at least to have me always looking forward to the next sequel. I think the FRIDAY franchise has been consisently better, but I'd rank HALLOWEEN alongside the ANOES series in terms of quality. A little up and down, and never coming close to the original films, both series do still offer a number of good sequels. And as mediocre as some of the sequels in the HALLOWEEN franchise may be, nohting beats watching one of them on Halloween night with the blinds closed and the lights dimmed.

krugerkid13
10-18-2004, 02:50 AM
halloween 6 = Best in the series

onebyone
10-18-2004, 02:52 AM
Except for Halloween: Resurrection, I think they all have merits. I voted for 2 though. Michael vs. Jamie is what it is all about.

moogong
10-18-2004, 03:13 AM
Halloween III: Season of the Witch

bigwes15
10-18-2004, 04:22 AM
In Order:
*Halloween 2
*Halloween 4
*Halloween 6
*Halloween 3
*Halloween 5
*Halloween resurrection
*H20 (the only one that I feel pretty much sucks...Resurrection isn't that great either, but it has enough good moments for me to give it a reluctant thumbs up-I hope the next one sticks JUST with Myers and they don't give in to the idea to pair him up with another horror "icon" such as the horrendous pinhead idea that I heard a while back-when is the next one supposedly coming, anyway?)

wago70
10-18-2004, 04:38 AM
I stopped at Halloween 3, baby! You have to admit: H3 has the signature Carpenter-Feel at its peak. The following films just don't cut it - they all felt like cheapo knock-offs. H3! It may not have Myers, but it's now a classic Halloween film for me.
Halloween 2 is the best sequel, but some scenes are sloppy (ie. Ben Tramer's body changing position in shots, Laurie's arm wound in the first film compared to the second, Myers looking like a guy in a fire suit at the end)
Halloween 3 is my personal favorite. Atmostphere galore - great photography, Halloween-feel up the ying yang, intriguing and THAT SCORE! That is Carpenter all the way.

zombi3
10-18-2004, 04:39 AM
Here's my opinion: I think the best sequels are 2, 3, and 6. I thought 4 and 5 were OK. Resurrection was pretty much crap, except for the first 20 minutes or so, and H20 was beyond crap and by far the worst in the series.

wago70
10-18-2004, 04:42 AM
Halloween II by far... however, I also enjoy Halloween 3.
You know - this guy has a point. He also has the BEST avatar I've ever seen...YOU'RE KILLING MEEEEE!!!!! :banana:

Moe Szyslak
10-18-2004, 04:49 AM
Is part 3 out on DVD??? I never see it.

walkingdude
10-18-2004, 04:55 AM
Yep.Been released twice.

Morg
10-18-2004, 05:21 AM
Halloween 2. Infact just watched it last night. There's something about halloween 3 that I like too, maybe that it just veers into non Michael Myers territory. Pretty much a fan of the first three, but the first one is the shit.

rxfiend
10-18-2004, 05:31 AM
part 3 all the way. also my favorite movie of the series.

thrashard76
10-18-2004, 06:25 AM
Part 2 and that's where they should have ended!
I agree. ;)

indiephantom
10-18-2004, 06:42 AM
I'm a big fan of Halloween II. I thought it was just great and it's one of the best sequels...period.

Erick H.
10-18-2004, 08:36 AM
Boy,I thought I was asking for trouble by saying that HALLOWEEN 3 was my favorite,glad to see by the responses that I'm not alone !It was meant to turn the series into a series of Halloween set horror films,rather than a stright slasher franchise like FRIDAY THE 13TH.If you can get past the fact that it's not a film about Micheal M.,it has a clever plot,creepy score,great photograhy and moist effects.I'll never get that Silver Shamrock jingle outta my head either.Love the ending !

As a straight HALLOWEEN followup I'd go with 4,Pleasance was a lot of fun and Harris was good as well.

Mok
10-18-2004, 04:46 PM
Part 4 - Simply because it was my first exposure to the series aside from part three. I watched that flick and craved to know more about what Michael Myers was all about. It was that film that really sparked my interest in slasher/horror films in general and thus I sought out the other films in the series.

fceurich39
10-18-2004, 05:54 PM
michael myers in order
1.halloween II
2.halloween 6 producer's cut
3.halloween 4 return of michael myers
4.halloween 5 revenge of michael myers
5.halloween resurrection
6.halloween curse of michael myers
7.halloween H2o
8.halloween III season of the witch

life_o_petey
10-18-2004, 11:19 PM
i know i'm in the minority, but i loved halloween 6. Michael Myers seems a lot more menacing in this one than he has in any of the others.

Doombear
10-19-2004, 12:21 AM
Ressurrection is my favorite (great webcam perspective).
H20 was the worst (not enough kills and too short).

wago70
10-19-2004, 04:26 AM
I once had a HALLOWEEN-inspired nightmare. I was walking alone through a neighborhood park late at night. I heard the sound of glass shattering nearby. It was from a house that was some odd yards away - the front window had been completely shattered. Inside, a TV had its sound turned all the way up and it was a news announcer talking about Michael Myers having been seen in the area. Frozen in fear, I saw the shape of Michael Myers rise up in front of the broken window - facing me across the park. The announcer suddenly got more frantic-sounding and Michael saw me and started "that walk" toward me. I tried to run, but kept falling down and moving in *slow-motion*. I could "feel" Michael inches behind me and the sound of the news announcer just kept telling about Michael Myers' sightings around town. I woke up with his voice "echoing" in my head.
When I moved to San Francisco some 15 years later, I find myself walking through THAT VERY PARK THAT WAS IN MY DREAM! It's nearby, too. When I go to 24 hour Nautilus at night, I have to cut through it to make it toward Haight street faster. This dream comes to reminder EACH time I walk thru this park late at night! Pretty trippy.

Cujo108
10-19-2004, 05:20 AM
Halloween III easily gets my vote. I also prefer it to the original.

Tad Ghostal
10-20-2004, 12:17 AM
Part 4 for me. Its nothing original, but I think its well made and I really like the mood of the film. Reminds of Halloweens as a kid. Part 2 is a close second for me. The whole film series goes downhill after that. Unlike many, though, I thought H20 was ok. Nothing great, but better than Resurrection.

fceurich39
10-20-2004, 04:40 AM
Ressurrection is my favorite (great webcam perspective).
H20 was the worst (not enough kills and too short).
I THOUGHT RESURRECTION WAS FAR BETTER THAN H20 VERY GOOD CREEPY MOVIE

shift
10-20-2004, 05:56 AM
I love part II. That's my vote

The_Tunneler
10-20-2004, 06:42 AM
Its gotta be Halloween: the curse of michael meyers. Either that or 2.