PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Zone: The 80's: Season 1

Dave
10-23-2004, 08:15 PM
It's been officially announced by Image Entertainment. I, for one, am very excited. I loved both this and Amazing Stories back in the 80's, when I was just a wee little boy.

ID: ID2437CUDVD $69.99 Not Rated
UPC: 014381243727 1,440 min. 1985/1986
Preorder: 11/16/2004 Image
Street: 12/28/2004 TV Classics

Full Frame - Color - English - Stereo - Region 1

Travel into the fifth dimension once again with The Twilight Zone, testing the limits of reality and exploring the mysteries of the universe. Airing from 1985 to 1989, this critically acclaimed anthology series carried on the legacy of the original Rod Serling program and attracted a brand-new audience of fans. The series features major stars in compelling tales of intrigue by such noted writers as Ray Bradbury, Stephen King, Harlan Ellison, Rockne S. O'Bannon, Arthur C. Clarke and Theodore Sturgeon. Now the entire thrilling first season of 24 one-hour episodes can be seen in their entirety! Season One Episodes include: Shatterday, A Little Peace and Quiet, Wordplay, Dreams for Sale, Chameleon, Healer, Children's Zoo, Kentucky Rye, Little Boy Lost, The Wish Bank, Nightcrawlers, If She Dies, Ye Gods, Examination Day, A Message from Charity, Teacher's Aide, Paladin of the Lost Hour, Act Break, The Burning Man, Dealer's Choice, Dead Woman's Shoes, Wong's Lost and Found Emporium, The Shadow Man, The Uncle Devil Show, Opening Day, The Beacon, One Life, Furnished in Early Poverty , Her Pilgrim Soul, I of Newton, Night of the Meek, But Can She Type?, The Star, Still Life, The Little People of Killany Woods, The Misfortune Cookie, Monsters!, A Small Talent for War, A Matter of Minutes, The Elevator, To See the Invisible Man, Tooth and Consequences, Welcome to Winfield, Quarantine, Gramma, Cold Reading, Personal Demons, The Leprechaun Artist, Dead Run, Button, Button, Profile in Silver, Need to Know, Red Snow, Take My Life, Please!, Devil's Alphabet, The Library, Shadow Play, Grace Note, A Day in Beaumont, The Last Defender of Camelot, Featured directors include: Wes Craven (Scream), William Friedkin (The Exorcist), Tommy Lee Wallace, Robert Downey, Peter Medak (The Changeling), Joe Dante (The Howling), John Milius (Conan the Barbarian), Martha Coolidge, Jeannot Szwarc (Somewhere in Time). Stars include: Bruce Willis (Die Hard), Morgan Freeman (Seven), Elliott Gould (Ocean's Eleven), Helen Mirren (Calendar Girls), Martin Landau (Ed Wood), Giovanni Ribisi (Lost in Translation), Victor Garber (Alias), Adrienne Barbeau (HBO's Carnivale), Danny Kaye, Piper Laurie (Carrie), James Coco, Melinda Dillon (A Christmas Story), Robert Klein, Meg Foster (They Live), Eric Bogosian, Vincent Gardenia, Lorna Luft, Season Hubley, Dee Wallace Stone (E.T: The Extra-Terrestrial), James Whitmore (The Hills Have Eyes), Exene Cervenka (from legendary punk group X), Tony Lo Bianco, David Dukes, Dan Hedaya (Blood Simple), M. Emmet Walsh, Peter Riegert (National Lampoon's Animal House), Gary Cole (Office Space), Sherman Hemsley (The Jeffersons), Ron Glass, Richard Mulligan (Soap), Pam Dawber (Mork and Mindy), Jonathan Frakes (Star Trek: The Next Generation), Fritz Weaver (Creepshow), Robert Carradine, John Carradine, Ralph Bellamy (Trading Places), Adam Arkin, Stephen Geoffreys (Fright Night), Kenneth Mars (Young Frankenstein), Gerrit Graham (Phantom of the Paradise), Clive Revill (The Legend of Hell House), Steve Railsback (Helter Skelter), Brad Davis (Midnight Express), Mare Winningham, Ben Cross (Dark Shadows), Opera legend Julia Migenes-Johnson, Peter Coyote, Richard Kiley, Jenny Agutter (An American Werewolf in London), Dick Shawn (The Producers)

6-Disc Set ; Wes Craven Video Interview; Over a Dozen Audio Commentaries by the creative forces behind the show, including Wes Craven, Philip DeGuere, Alan Brennert, Bradford May, James Crocker, JD Fiegelson, William Wu and Greg Bear; Photo Gallery.

indiephantom
10-23-2004, 08:55 PM
This series was great. The most recent version with Forest Whitaker is quite a disappointment for the most part. Wes Craven directed some of the best episodes. I hope this means we'll finally get some of the other great anthology series from the same era..."Amazing Stories", "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" (brilliant update, IMO)...and from a little bit later on HBO, "Tales From the Crypt" (was there an announcement of this already?)

wago70
10-23-2004, 09:00 PM
I'm in for this one! Can't wait - I hope this means the other seasons are forthcoming, I want them all!

Silent Noize
10-23-2004, 10:25 PM
I hope this means the other seasons are forthcoming, I want them all!
Yep. (http://horrordvds.com/vb3forum/showthread.php?t=19741&page=1)

Katatonia
10-23-2004, 10:40 PM
Awesome, this is a definite buy for me. Been awaiting this release for a long time now.

Shannafey
10-24-2004, 01:20 AM
I adore the original and I can definitely say it's my favorite TV show of all time. The recent one SUCKED!! The 80s one I can't seem to remember, but from what that blurb states, I think I might just do it as a blind buy!! Just the names involved got me excited.

You had me at Hello!! :lol:

Dave
10-24-2004, 01:40 AM
I adore the original and I can definitely say it's my favorite TV show of all time. The recent one SUCKED!! The 80s one I can't seem to remember, but from what that blurb states, I think I might just do it as a blind buy!! Just the names involved got me excited.

You had me at Hello!! :lol:

It's much better than the 2003 version. The 80's version is classic.

chrishicks
10-24-2004, 04:17 AM
cool. now we need to hear that Friday the 13th the series is coming next.

JW77
10-24-2004, 06:13 AM
The 80s TZ is a classic, and a worthy successor to the original. Very much an 80s creature, which sort of dates it today... which to me is a good thing.

Lots of awesome segments (that, twenty years on, I still remember):

"Examination Day"
"Profile in Silver"
"Button, Button"
"A Small Talent for War"
"To See the Invisible Man" (Robert Silverburg)
"One Life, Furnished in Early Poverty" (Harlan Ellison)
"Shatterday" (Harlan Ellison)
"Paladin of the Lost Hour"
"Her Pilgrim Soul"
"The Star" (Arthur C. Clarke)
"Nightcrawlers" (Robert R. McCammon)
"A Message from Charity"
"Gramma" (Stephen King)

... fuck it, people NEED this set. Just look at the talent involved.

darthray
10-24-2004, 07:35 AM
I am glad to hear that they are going to release the 80's Twilight Zone and I am glad to hear that it is coming to dvd. I didn't bother watching the new one. It didn't look good to me. I am also a fan of the original Twilight Zone. I am going to buy it when it comes out.

Erick H.
10-24-2004, 08:08 AM
I remember this very fondly,Wes Craven's THE SHADOW MAN always stuck with me,especially the tagline,and NIGHTCRAWLERS was terrific.I'm getting this .

SilentScreams
10-24-2004, 08:24 AM
I'm getting this and the new original series sets. I've only seen one episode of the 80's series in syndication but I liked what I saw. I like many of the cast members listed also.

Luna
10-24-2004, 10:22 AM
This is one I absolutely need, if only for the second episode. The ending stuck with me for many years after. Check this page, but beware of spoilers:

http://www.steveandmarta.com/new%20twilight%20zone/a_little_peace_and_quiet/peace.htm

The 2003 TZ was a pretty big disappointment for me too, for the most part. Hell, I liked Night Visions much better, actually. The new, new TZ seemed like a way for UPN to showcase dumb young celebrities and hip hop/rap artists. It just didn't fly with me, unfortunately.

Shannafey
10-24-2004, 02:59 PM
The 2003 TZ was a pretty big disappointment for me too, for the most part. Hell, I liked Night Visions much better, actually. The new, new TZ seemed like a way for UPN to showcase dumb young celebrities and hip hop/rap artists. It just didn't fly with me, unfortunately.

My feelings exactly! I hate Forrest Whittaker as well, and he made a terrible host, but I didn't like Night Visions much either. It's been years since there's been a real good anthology series. I really can't remember what the last one was. I loved the short lived Darkroom, which I taped when Scifi reran it a few years ago, but realized, it too got bad after a few episodes. Quality of stories is the key. Writers think that a surprise ending makes for a cool story, but it has to be built up and make sense!! That's what made Shamaylan's(SP?) first 2 movies (and arguably his 3rd) so good. Also, I don't know about the 80s TZ series, but the original used some amazing writing talent, such as Richard Matheson and Serling himself, among others. People who could write!

Noto
10-25-2004, 05:43 PM
I'm game, I will probably snag a copy.

moogong
10-26-2004, 02:41 AM
Oh hell yeah, this is mine. Sunday nights used to kick so much ass in the mid to late 80's. Twilight Zone, Amazing Stories, Errie Indiana....class stuff. I dont mind being close to 30 if it means I didnt have to be a kid during 90's night time television.

VideoViolence
11-01-2004, 08:40 AM
I will def check this out! I saw most of, if not, practically all of them when they aired on tv.