PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkinhead (1989) e-m-s (R2)

Hellbilly
10-26-2004, 06:54 PM
Always been a fan of Stan Winston's Pumpkinhead. Plot might be simple (father conjures up a demon to avenge the death of his son) and the pacing might drag a bit in the first half hour but once the monster is unleashed your in for a good time.

Well, I was.

Pumpkinhead is light on gore but heavy on atmosphere - nicely shot (blue!) and has a great (backwoods) setting.
Besides a few stereotypes (stupid teens) performances are fine. Especially by Lance Henriksen, he does a pretty good job.
In days of flashy CGI one could argue that the creature is rather stiff but hey! this creature has character ...

and one hell of a wicked smile :D

http://www.dvd-narr.info/datenbank/p/pumpkinhead_rc2_f.jpg

DVD (e-m-s / R2 / Pal) has an animated background menu with scenes from the movie.

Video: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1)

20th Century Fox was the distributer for Pumpkinhead (onscreen title: Das Halloween Monster) when this was playing theaters in Deutschland back in the late 80's, and one can only wonder if Fox-Europe got a different (better?) print for release.
Compared to MGM's piti-ful-screen outing this one is a real stunner. Gone is the murky (red) color bleeding - Pumpkinhead sparkles with fresh strong colors. The image is clean and (almost) free of grain and dirt.
Pumpkinhead finally looks like a real movie :)

Audio: English 2.0 Ultra-Stereo, about the same as the old MGM disc.

Extras: (English) Theatrical Trailer, Trailers for other movies, Slideshow, Bio's and the Original English title opening.

wizzer
10-26-2004, 10:09 PM
i just got done watching the tartan R2 that just came in the mail. i'm think it looks better than the MGM disc but yours may actually be the one to own as far as quality goes.

_pi_
10-26-2004, 11:40 PM
Didn't really care for this movie. I thought the blue/orange filtering went way overboard. The monster was cool though, and it had some cool moments.

Hellbilly
10-27-2004, 07:15 AM
i just got done watching the tartan R2 that just came in the mail. i'm think it looks better than the MGM disc but yours may actually be the one to own as far as quality goes.I did read mixed reviews about Tartan's transfer but as long as it looks better then the MGM one your all set.

The print they used for this release however is simply excellent.
The e-m-s disc is highly recommended on my behalf :)

wizzer
10-27-2004, 07:22 AM
I did read mixed reviews about Tartan's transfer but as long as it looks better then the MGM one your all set.

The print they used for this release however is simply excellent.
The e-m-s disc is highly recommended on my behalf :)

if i get the e-m-s disc and i'm dissappointed, i'm going to sick a pumpkinhead on yer ass :p

Hellbilly
10-27-2004, 07:41 AM
:eek1: :nervous: :lol:

I'd post some captures but my pc won't play R2 or other region stuff (still need to check out anydvd).

Tawny
10-27-2004, 03:11 PM
I thought the Tartan disc was certainly worth the upgrade. It's definitely not the same print used as the MGM disc. I'd still be interested in checking out your dvd, because even though I am happy with the Tartan dvd, I have a feeling yours might look even better!

dwatts
08-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Why not add my review here?

Truth be told, the world might be better off without us city folk. We wander through life caught up in our ideas of how things should be, and then once in a while we take our absurd ideas out into the country, intent it seems, on annoying those dumb country people who have nothing better to do than tend their pigs and have kids. Confronted with something different we pour scorn, commit some atrocity or other, and then act surprised when a Pumpkinhead comes to get us. But then, I'm getting ahead our myself.

Pumpkinhead is a movie about young people from the big city taking their carefree ways into the outback. It represents one of the great movie clichés, the city folk are bad, and while the country folk look harmless enough, they aren't above a little retribution. Brash young kids armed only with carelessness, women, and cases of beer, are apparently no match for the simpler things in life - and Pumpkinheads.

Essentially what we have here is a revenge film, although by the time all is said and done, a moral message is delivered. Essentially, those brash teens need to know that there is a price to pay for the wrongs they do. On the other hand, revenge is the lowest form of justice, and if you have half a soul, it can lead to nothing but destruction. This is played out in a part monster movie, part slasher. Although in terms of the latter, I suppose it is something of a disappointment, since the deaths aren't too inventive, and they lack blood and gore. Still, what it lacks there it makes up for in the Alien cast off Pumpkinhead.

Made in 1988, Pumpinhead also has a couple of tributes to make, most noticeably with Alien, a franchise Lance Henriksen was familiar with by the time he appeared in this one. The titular monster is a dead ringer for Giger's monster, and could even be said to be a precursor to the direction Alien took in future films (notably Alien Resurrection). In this film we even get a repeat of the Alien V. Human face-off that has become something of a trademark in the Alien films. Still, if it's good, why not use and abuse it? Taking this "alien" and planting it into the backwoods works quite well, actually - with a modicum of suspended belief anyway. Perhaps the film would have made a larger splash if it hadn't been caught up in the bankruptcy De Laurentis Entertainment Group?

Still, Pumpkinhead isn't above some rather uproarious genre clichés. Take the witch in the woods, for instance. This haggard old women lives alone away from everyone, sitting beside her fire just waiting for the forlorn to stumble upon her making demands, handing over their cash. Quite what good money is in these circumstances I don't know. However, he hackles quite well, and certainly looks the part. For me, Monty Python totally ruined the whole character in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, I keep waiting for the poor biddies to ask question before allowing someone to cross the bridge. I know, it's not right, but I can't help myself.

That's not to say this derivative little film isn't fun to watch. Lance Henriksen is good enough, although to be fair he's not asked to do much. The monster effects designed by Stan Winston are pretty good, and I must say there is always a sense of satisfaction when the bad guys get it. The kills are none too inventive though, and things might have gone along with more satisfaction if we'd had more gruel. Still, it passes the time without feeling like it's wasting it, and sometimes that's enough to get a recommendation.

The longer, fuller review - with screenshots, can be found at this place here. (http://www.xtheunknown.com/Reviews/Pumpkinhead.html)

Noto
08-14-2006, 08:18 PM
Does a 16x9 version of the sequel Blood Wings exist anywhere? The Pumpkinhead series is one I intentionally never picked up on DVD in the U.S. since all I read indicated horrible transfers.

Katatonia
08-14-2006, 08:31 PM
Does a 16x9 version of the sequel Blood Wings exist anywhere? The Pumpkinhead series is one I intentionally never picked up on DVD in the U.S. since all I read indicated horrible transfers.

It was a originally just a DTV-release that went out straight to video, so the 4x3 format is more than likely the original OAR. I don't think it ever played theatrically.

There's a commentary on the R1 DVD which may expand upon it's aspect ratio, but I haven't had the chance to listen in on it yet.

ReelFear
08-14-2006, 08:59 PM
I have the e-m-s disc and I agree, it looks very good.

Noto
08-14-2006, 09:12 PM
It was a originally just a DTV-release that went out straight to video, so the 4x3 format is more than likely the original OAR. I don't think it ever played theatrically.

I swear that I saw Blood Wings in theatres. Don’t make me doubt myself.

dwatts
08-14-2006, 09:12 PM
Can someone post mini-reviews of the other films? I'd love to know more about them.

Damed
08-14-2006, 09:13 PM
Anyone know where I can get the EMS disc? All I can find is this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0002W1492/ref=pd_rvi_gw_1/026-8426927-2174063?ie=UTF8

Which IS the correct film, but I have no idea about the transfer or anything else.