PDA

View Full Version : New Shriek Show DVD Announcements

bruce h
08-26-2001, 05:56 PM
Here's a (rather poorly written) message sent out by a representative from Media-Blasters announcing several upcoming titles in their Shriek Show line:

"Hello,

We have been emailed from several people about which titles we have, what will they include and when will they come out.

Currently we have announced titles through November, this includes

1) Demonia
2) Women in Fury
3) Creatures from the Abyss
4) Killer Barbys (Jess Franco)
5) Jungle Holocaust (Ruggerio Deodato)

Titles we have acquired and will start next year releasing include

1) Les Deux Orphenes Vampires (Jean Rollin)
2) Le Fiancee de Dracula (Jean Rollin)
3) Lizard in a Woman's Skin (Fulci)
4) House of Clocks (Fulci)
5) Sweet House of Horrors (Fulci)
6) Eaten Alive (Lenzi)
7) Buio Omega (Joe D'Amato)
8) Night of Terrors, Zombi 3 (not Fulci)
9) Zombie Holocaust
10) Foto di Gioia (Delirium) (Lamberto Bava)

We really do not have all the extras figured out but we are trying for all animorphic releases where possible and most for 2002 have it. We are also trying to do some special stuff for Jungle Holocaust which will be released in November.

We will be releasing monthly, it seems Demonia is doing well and we will keep going and become hopefully a fan favorite like we are in anime (for some). I guess like AB we will have our fans and haters so we will try our best. It seems we are already going through that on Demonia for those who like it and those who attack us. It seems we are being compared alot to AB, lets see what happens.

We do listen to fans and will try our best!!! "

Looks like a few more of my favorites are going to make it to DVD next year... I really better start selling off my old tapes.
bruce h

crank
08-27-2001, 05:02 AM
I thought I recalled seeing that Lamberto Bava's Delerium is supposed to come out through Anchor Bay next year. Correct me if I'm wrong.

crank

Jason25
08-30-2001, 03:59 PM
Some cool titles in there, would like to pick up some of them.

zombi3
09-01-2001, 05:01 PM
that's a pretty awesome list of titles. i especially can't wait for zombi 3 nights of terror and buio omega! house of clocks was pretty cool too. has anyone seen sweet house of horrors? i heard it was pretty bad, but sports some cool gore scenes,so can't be as bad as the black cat.
hats off to media blasters!

bruce h
09-01-2001, 07:21 PM
Quite honestly Shriek Show doesn't have a fucking clue as to what the hell they're releasing. this is only an attempt to make more money, not a labor of love - which, granted, is what a business is supposed to do, but i can't help but worry a bit when someone as completely uninformed as they are are releasing some of my favorite films. i hope all the disc turn out fien, but i have my worries. also, given the look of the Demonia DVD i really think they need to invest in a better authoring house, the disc really didn't look too hot.

zombi3
09-02-2001, 09:16 AM
I don't think the Demonia dvd looks that bad,considering the rarity
of the film. It sure looks a hell of a lot better than my old crappy Japanese bootleg. In any case,it is the first release from SS - I say let's give 'em a chance and see what they do with their upcoming titles. A lot of people bash companies like AB and SS,but the fact is they are bringing movies to the dvd format that were previously only available via some grainy,sometimes unwatchable,bootleg vhs - and you'd still have to shell out 20-30
bucks! There are other asshole companies out there that REALLY need to be ripped apart- ie: Trimark or Paramount,for obvious reasons!!

bruce h
09-02-2001, 04:10 PM
" I don't think the Demonia dvd looks that bad,considering the rarity of the film. It sure looks a hell of a lot better than my old crappy Japanese bootleg. "

i have the japanese prerecord of the film and they look about the same qualitywise, except the tape doesn't have the artifacts (it does have japanese subs though).

"In any case,it is the first release from SS - I say let's give 'em a chance and see what they do with their upcoming titles. A lot of people bash companies like AB and SS,but the fact is they are bringing movies to the dvd format that were previously only available via some grainy,sometimes unwatchable,bootleg vhs - and you'd still have to shell out 20-30
bucks! "

i'm well aware it was their first release, but i'm also well aware that they have no knowledge about the titles they're releasing and it honestly worries me a little. and their lack of a good authoring facility also worries me. why spend $60,000 on the rights to a title if you're not even going to spend $5,000 to get a good authoring job done? as for them "previously only available via some grainy,sometimes unwatchable,bootleg vhs " all i can say is bullshit. with a little time and effort you could track down many of these titles via import tape. in my personal vhs tape collection i (at one time) had about 2,000 titles, all horror and exploitation, and only about 200 of them were dupes, the rest were all legit prerecords. Cannibal Apocalypse, Contamination, Nights of Terror, etc. if you were happy with dupes, fine. i wasn't, and i think it's dumb to say that they were "only available" as such.

skinnypuppy6
09-03-2001, 03:00 AM
i was pretty happy w/ SS's demonia and ill get more of thier releases and im pretty sure the majority of eurohorror fans will too we can only hope theyll take a little more care w/ some of thier upcoming titles but if not oh well i'll buy them anyway after all the're not that bad:)

Trout
09-03-2001, 04:00 AM
I will probably by Buried alive and Nights of Terror regardless of what the reviews say. After all I bought the german version of Nightmare city with the ocassional Japanese subs.

AlkanFan
09-03-2001, 04:50 PM
I feel the need to stand up for Media Blasters against all of these harsh criticisms. While there was some artifacting the Demonia disc, it was nowhere near that found on Anchor Bay's Zombie disc. There was also very little grain and the image was satisfactorily sharp. Anchor Bay's first DVDs suffered from much worse problems than those found on Demonia. My point is that Media Blasters is doing a fine job, especially considering that they're fairly new to live action movies.

bruce h
09-03-2001, 05:43 PM
Harsh criticism? It's the truth. I wasn't aware that telling the truth could be construed as "harsh criticism".

Yes, some of Anchor Bay's earliest titles were littered with artifacts, but this was also 3 years ago and authoring studios have since come a long way. There is no reason to release a disc with authoring problems nowadays, unless, like Media Blasters, you insist on doing all the authoring inhouse, which honestly defeats the purpose of spending mucho money on a title and getting the studio to give you a flawless transfer. And their Demonia disc had plenty of grain and looked roughly the same as my Japanese prerecord - with bland colors and a general dullness of picture. Now, it is possible that these problems were inherent in the original film materials or source elements, but still, adding authoring problems on top of them only adds insult to injury.

As for them being new to live action films - they've been doing the Tokyo Shock line for years. They've produced enough DVDs that they should know better, but they also know that a lot of Euro fans (and most of this messageboard) will settle for inferior product because "it's better than a bootleg", which is a retarded attitude if I've ever heard one. The format of DVD makes it possible to have the best presentation of our favorite films to date, yet with companies supplying sloppily assembled product and fans eating it up regardless we're never going to see a rise in quality. So keep being content and defending lazy companies, and I'll be sure to keep spreading the truth.

vroberts
09-05-2001, 01:12 AM
Media Blasters will do a fine job on these titles. I have bought many of their discs over the last few years (Anime and live-action). They are not really new to doing live-action discs... Look at their Reborn from Hell, and Hakkaider discs. Their newest in-house disc, Zeiram 2, looks great with accurate subs and very little artifacting (And almost no print damage). Of course, Demonia is older than most of these titles, but it's their first of the new label (Shriek Show). I bought the disc a couple of weeks ago, and I admit that the quality isn't perfect and the colors are dull. The artifacting may be MB's fault, but the rest is most likely due to the masters they used.

Plus, it has extras... Something that most bootlegs don't. I have never seen a bootleg tape of Demonia, but the DVD quality is alright to me as I didn't find the film too stunning for a Fulci film (Of course, it's one of his later works). This disc could be considered experimental for them before they dive into the Euro-Horror DVD arena, so not much money was spent. It looks like now with all these new titles licensed, they will do a better job and spend more.

AlkanFan
09-05-2001, 04:57 AM
I wasn't aware that Media Blasters has produced a large amount of live action disc, especially considering how few they had on display at GenCon. Apparently they have.

I was just trying to stand up for a small company that was being knocked based upon one mediocre release (of a fairly obscure film). Why not give them a chance and see what they do?

Also, Bruce H: How do you know that "Shriek Show doesn't have a...clue as to what the hell they're releasing?" After all, they seem to have done a more competant job in the special features then many of the bigger companies. Keep me informed!

bruce h
09-06-2001, 03:54 AM
"I was just trying to stand up for a small company that was being knocked based upon one mediocre release (of a fairly obscure film). "

Media Blasters is a multi-million dollar operation. the washed out colors i can deal with, assuming they're inherent in the elements they received from the licensor. Authoring problems, however, are the results of attempting to cut costs instead of trying to deliver quality product.

"How do you know that "Shriek Show doesn't have a...clue as to what the hell they're releasing?" "

Because they've claimed this themselves several times. Have you ever talked to them at Cons? How about on the phone? Clueless isn't the word.

"After all, they seem to have done a more competant job in the special features then many of the bigger companies. "

That's because they get naive fans to assist on their DVDs for free. Shriek Show isn't doing any of the hunting or putting forth any affort into finding xtras for their discs - they're leaving it up to fans who somehow think letting a multimillion dollar company walk all over you will lead to personal recognition. Why the hell do you guys actually seem to think that these big companies really give a shit about us or the movies we like? It's all marketing, and it's all about numbers. The bottom is getting ready to drop out, you'll see...

bruce h
09-06-2001, 04:01 AM
And just so i don't sound like i'm being too negative...

I really hope Shriek Show does do an excellent job on their upcoming discs, as i plan on including most of them in my collection. and i hope whoever helps them out has access to some great xtras, because a few of the titles are among my all time favs. i just hope they decide to be a little more careful with the authoring, as i'd hate to see the opportunity for a great disc ruined by lazy craftmanship.

Jason25
09-06-2001, 04:07 AM
bruceh, i agree with you, you make some good points. My question is, how is Shriek Show able to outbid Anchor Bay on the rights to these films? I would feel so much more comfortable if I knew AB was releasing them because AB has proved themselves to me SS has not.

Surely SS knows what they've got. Obviously they wouldn't throw dollars away if they knew they couldn't make a profit. Fans can cry all they want about quality but we are the minority here. You think your average blockbuster going, Disney family schmuck cares if Fulci films get any extras or a decent transfer? SS knows that genre fans will take what they are given, which is a philosophy I totally disagree with.

bruce h
09-06-2001, 04:24 AM
Shriek Show can afford to compete with the others because they have the money to back it up. The licensing rights to European films are going through the roof right now due to companies like Anchor Bay, Image, and now Shriek Show, with your average picture running you between $20,000 up to $60,000. It's absolutely ludicrous, and I honestly don't think this Eurohorror boom is going to last much longer. There's more product available now and the rights prices keep rising, soon it's not going to be profitable for these companies to be dumping out the Euro fare. Of course, by then the rights will be too high for smaller companies to afford, a sorta Catch 22. But, we were here before these companies, and we'll be here after, so I guess all we can really hope for now is that these companies do the best job they can while some money can actually be spent restoring and mastering these titles. a THX certified Opera - who woulda thought?

vroberts
09-06-2001, 05:39 AM
It's true that Media Blasters has good fan relationships. They even included sent-in fan art on a couple of their anime DVDs. I'm sure they will have alot of fan participation in horror as well. I can't wait to see their upcoming discs...

crank
09-07-2001, 10:38 AM
If Media-Blasters wants good fan faith in my oppinion, they need to get a web site up and running. Or at least update the one they have to include the new Shriek Show line. I mean, Eurohorror DVD fans are almost exclusivly internet junkies. I get all my info from the net, as I'm sure do most of you.

PS. If they don't own the right to Fulci's Zombi 3, then who does

crank

AlkanFan
09-08-2001, 12:52 AM
A couple months ago, DVD Maniacs reported that Anchor Bay owns the rights, but Anchor Bay never put it in their future relases section. Maybe somebody could find out whether AB own the rights during the next live chat.

Jason25
09-08-2001, 01:06 AM
Yeah, I'm very curious to see who has the rights to Zombi 3.

crank
09-08-2001, 06:52 AM
As you may or may not remember, AB annoynced that they had the rights, and even put it up on their future releases page, but then quickly had to pull it because they said someone else had the rights. That someone else was assumed to be Shriek Show/Media Blasters until just recently.

crank