PDA

View Full Version : Wicker Man... Theatrical vs Extended?

Damage
11-08-2004, 05:35 PM
I searched throughout out the reviews and forums here and couldn't find a discussion on the two versions of The Wicker Man.

If I settle for the theatrical cut, how much will I be missing? From the reviews I've gathered off the Net, the consensus seems to be the theatrical cut is more than sufficient and the preferred version to view, that the extra scenes spliced into the extended cut are very rough looking and only really of interest for hard-core fans of this film for their historical significance.

Now, I've never seen this film but I've become a big fan of 70s British horror and Christopher Lee and Ingrid Pitt, so this should be right up my alley. The wooden box will run me an extra 17 bucks or so, so I want to make sure that it'll be worth my while.

Alexander
11-08-2004, 05:42 PM
You donīt need to buy the wooden box, you can purchase the two versions separately for a slightier cheaper price.

Now, IMHO, the extended version is a must-see.

Damage
11-08-2004, 05:55 PM
As far as I know, only the single theatrical version disc and the wooden box package are available in Region 1 and unfortunately I don't have a region-free player.

Paff
11-08-2004, 06:10 PM
I much prefer the theatrical cut, but I just loved that wooden box and had to buy it.

The reason I prefer the theatrical, is that it's much more mysterious than the extended. The one advantage of the extended cut is that it opens with Sgt. Howie singing the same song that he's singing as he's being sacrificed. But he gets the letter which sends him to Summerisle, and it's already a bit weird. I like the theatrical cut, because it seems pretty straightforward when he arrives at the island, but things slowly get stranger and stranger. In the extended cut, you already know something is seriously off-kilter about Summerisle before he even arrives.

Katatonia
11-08-2004, 06:18 PM
The Wicker Man is hands down one of my favorite British movies. I enjoy both the theatrical cut and the extended cut for different reasons. I agree mostly with what Paff already said and won't repeat what he has already said.

The wooden box is a longtime welcome addition to my DVD collection, and well worth the extra price over the single DVD edition.

x666x
11-08-2004, 06:44 PM
A great film. I only checked out the theatrical version so far. This thread reminded me that I still have yet to aquire the wooden box. So guess what I just bought off Ebay?

Alexander
11-08-2004, 09:20 PM
As far as I know, only the single theatrical version disc and the wooden box package are available in Region 1 and unfortunately I don't have a region-free player.

No worries. Just give Anchor Bay some more time and theyīll make a "Stickman Edition".

Morg
11-08-2004, 10:17 PM
I own the wooden box and have yet to view the extended edition. Next time I watch it, I'll check out that version. It's a very different type of movie. It's been described as a horror/cult, whodunit, musical amongst other things and that's a pretty good description of it. I don't think this movie is for everyone. I was going to suggest that people check out one of the directors --Robin Hardy's -- other movies called "Thirst" until I realized that they are two different people. The guy who directed Thirst is Rod Hardy. Close but no cigar. Hell with it, I'm still gonna recommend it. If you like 70's horror check out a little aussie film called Thirst directed by a guy who has a similar name of the guy who directed The Wicker Man. Although I like Wicker Man, Thirst is far better, IMO.

Alexander
11-08-2004, 10:28 PM
Thirst is the one about modern day vampires? I have it on VHS.

RichardHaines
11-08-2004, 10:44 PM
I saw both versions theatrically way back when.
"The Wicker Man" was re-edited by Roger Corman when he purchased the rights at some point in time. The camera negative was apparently
cut. Technicolor dye transfer prints were made from the cut camera negative. Years later, the people involved with the restoration contacted Corman. He saved one uncut copy. They removed the missing scenes and duped them off in grainy Eastmancolor. The took
surviving Technicolor prints and physically spliced in the missing scenes in grainy Eastmancolor which is why there's such a noticeable quality shift. If they could find the original scenes (prior to duping them), they could digitally restore them now if they wanted to spend the money.
I haven't seen the restored version on video so they might have done this already.

I prefer the cut version which plays better, has better continuity and does not have the distracting grainy footage spliced in.

The movie is certainly a curio and worth a look but not a great picture.
It's somewhat overated due to the coverage it received in Cinefantastique.

Morg
11-09-2004, 12:21 AM
Thirst is the one about modern day vampires? I have it on VHS.
Yeah, pretty much. Not your typical vampire film. I found it compelling.

Damage
11-09-2004, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the info, everyone!

horror addict
11-09-2004, 02:39 AM
Www.allmovie.com lists a restored director's cut dvd of Wicker Man as having been released in September, did this not come out or something? :confused:

JW77
11-09-2004, 02:28 PM
"Wicker Man" is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Paff summed up the differences quite well.

The extended cut has a few longer scenes, but the main difference is a different opening which you don't really need to see first, though it does solidify some character traits of Sgt. Howie early on and set up the mystery in a somewhat different way.

Also, the extended cut is missing a short scene that's in the theatrical cut.

As to which version to get... if you're a casual viewer I'd suggest just getting the single-disc, but if you love the movie you'll want the wooden box. As such, I'd recommend renting it first. If you love the movie, then you'll probably want the extended cut too.

Also, go into this movie knowing as little as possible about it. Avoid reviews and summaries. First time out, it's best to just let everything unfold as it goes along.

JW77
11-09-2004, 02:30 PM
Www.allmovie.com lists a restored director's cut dvd of Wicker Man as having been released in September, did this not come out or something? :confused:

No, it didn't. Anchor Bay had it on the schedule for a long time and then either pulled a few weeks prior to release, or never bothered releasing it in the first place. This wouldn't have been a third version of the movie, though. Just the same thing as the second disc of the LE... with the possible addition of a commentary track that was recorded after the initial AB release.

horror addict
11-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Would I be missing anything supplement wise by getting the 1 disc instead of the 2 disc wooden box, also is there a commentary?

Edit: Also another dvd I've had trouble deciding which version I want is Manhunter, I certainly don't want the fullscreen, barebones peice of shit MGM recently released, so which one of the three AB versions is the best?

Alexander
11-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Weird... this very site, Horrordvds.com, had a nice review of The Wicker Man, with all the info you needed. I canīt find it. Where did it went?

About WM, well, the extented version IS an extra by itself.

About Manhunter, the best version is the 2-disc set, with the featurettes, but the Divimax edition spots a better image quality.

Damage
11-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Weird... this very site, Horrordvds.com, had a nice review of The Wicker Man, with all the info you needed. I canīt find it. Where did it went?

That's what I thought too. Oh well. Thanks again for everyone's input.

kyouki
11-10-2004, 03:50 PM
For some reason a ton of reviews don't show up through the normal reviews link. I found this link that lists every review... there are quite a few that don't show up normally, including the Wicker Man

The link:

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/all.shtml

fattyjoe37
06-17-2009, 09:15 AM
I just saw the extended version for the first time and I have to say that I liked the theatrical version more. There's more of a mystery in the theatrical version as the strange events unfold and Christopher Lee has a much better introduction.

The Chaostar
06-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Yes but you cannot see Brit Ekland's titties.

fattyjoe37
06-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Yes but you cannot see Brit Ekland's titties.

They don't delete that scene in the theatrical version, they just move it earlier in the movie. So if anything you're seeing them sooner and that's good!

shape22
06-18-2009, 12:30 AM
I'll run in the opposite direction of the herd on this one. I prefer the extended version.

As mentioned above, the placement of Brit Eklund's nude scene is vastly different in the 2 cuts. And that changes the context of the scene immensely. In the theatrical version, the scene occurs so early that Howie's reaction seems way over the top. But in the extended version, his reaction is more justifiable. Some might consider that a small difference. But it's a big deal to me. The scene seems almost laughable in the theatrical cut.

The extended cut also contains more music, which is a huge selling point for me. There's something incredibly unsettling about a lot of the music in that movie. And I also prefer the deliberate pace of the extended cut.

There is one thing I prefer about the theatrical version. Christopher Lee's first appearance has a lot more impact.

Just my two cents.

Mutilated Prey
04-13-2012, 05:36 PM
So, I just got the Wooden Box release from a large re-seller for pretty cheap. They said it was "Like New". When I asked specific details about the item they replied "With such a large inventory we are unable to check item details blah blah, all items not Brand New are re-sealed". So, I got it in the mail today, professionally shrink-wrapped but their is a red round sticker on the front that says "2 Disc Limited Edition Includes Theatrical and Extended Versions". Can anyone confirm if this sticker was on theirs too? I find it hard to believe this reseller had a bunch of these stickers laying around and just happened to stick it on there after re-shrink-wrapping. Maybe I actually got a Brand New one?

shape22
04-13-2012, 05:48 PM
I got my wooden box as soon as it came out. You almost certainly got a new one. I remember a sticker like that being on the package when I got it. And it was definitely outside on the shrink wrap and not on the box itself. I never remove stickers or any part of packaging. So if the sticker had been inside I'd still have it. And there's no sticker. I'd say you hit the lottery.

Paff
04-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Occam's Razor. If it has that sticker on it, it's probably factory sealed. Don't overthink things.

bigdaddyhorse
04-13-2012, 06:29 PM
So, I just got the Wooden Box release from a large re-seller for pretty cheap. They said it was "Like New". When I asked specific details about the item they replied "With such a large inventory we are unable to check item details blah blah, all items not Brand New are re-sealed". So, I got it in the mail today, professionally shrink-wrapped but their is a red round sticker on the front that says "2 Disc Limited Edition Includes Theatrical and Extended Versions". Can anyone confirm if this sticker was on theirs too? I find it hard to believe this reseller had a bunch of these stickers laying around and just happened to stick it on there after re-shrink-wrapping. Maybe I actually got a Brand New one?

I bought mine in 2003 or so, when they started showing up cheap here and there. Being of a collector mentality, I keep any (movie related) stickers from the shrinkwrap in my cases after opening them, and I have that exact sticker you mention in my Wicker box so that was 100% brand new. You should also have 2 chapter cards inside, one for each cut of the film. What number did you get?:)

Mutilated Prey
04-13-2012, 08:09 PM
I got my wooden box as soon as it came out. You almost certainly got a new one. I remember a sticker like that being on the package when I got it. And it was definitely outside on the shrink wrap and not on the box itself. I never remove stickers or any part of packaging. So if the sticker had been inside I'd still have it. And there's no sticker. I'd say you hit the lottery.

That was my thinking - woot woot!

Occam's Razor. If it has that sticker on it, it's probably factory sealed. Don't overthink things.

True dat - just wanted to confirm before I do my victory dance :banana::sperm::banana:

I bought mine in 2003 or so, when they started showing up cheap here and there. Being of a collector mentality, I keep any (movie related) stickers from the shrinkwrap in my cases after opening them, and I have that exact sticker you mention in my Wicker box so that was 100% brand new. You should also have 2 chapter cards inside, one for each cut of the film. What number did you get?:)

Delightful! Yeah, I got it for just under $18. It's a high number. Can't recall off the top of my head, but I wanna say like 42,189 or something - I'll double check when I get home. Yeah so, the shrink wrap has two tiny side-by-side air holes running the length of the box (at least along the backside from what I remember) about every inch too.

rxfiend
04-14-2012, 02:32 AM
I love the wooden box. Actually I really liked it along with Anchor Bay's other Tin cases. I know a lot of people bitched about them back in the day, but I always thought they were neat, especially those that came with some other extra goodies.

Mutilated Prey
04-14-2012, 03:22 AM
What number did you get?:)

It's 42205.