PDA

View Full Version : A Blade In The Dark- good, bad, ugly?

smokedragon
08-28-2001, 08:45 AM
Looking for some opinions on Lamberto Bava's A Blade In The Dark

Is it a good horror movie?

BB has it for 19.99 and I'm thinking of buying it.

Any reviews would be appreciated

HerbertWest
08-28-2001, 09:54 AM
It's bad. I found it to be boring as hell. The murder sequences were interesting and well handled but not near as shocking as people would have you believe. It was originally supposed to be a TV movie released in 4 parts. Nothing wrong with the look of the film, it's well shot, but I'm sure that's more the influence of Dario Argento, than any inherent talent L. Bava might have. It also suffers from awful dubbing. He calls his girlfriend a 'vacant nerd' if you can believe that. And when the little boys are taunting the annoying towhead from House by the Cemetery, they chant, 'You're a female! You're a female!' Good for a few laughs but it's not helping the film any. Personally, I'd spend my money on something better, but I've heard many people say they like the film.

NickyDoyle
08-28-2001, 04:45 PM
I like it, though I'll admit that my expectations were higher. Like stated before, the murders are very cool (especially the one in the bathroom, one of the very few that actually made me cringe).

The story, though, is kinda slow, and the dialogue has been translated badly (and even worse dubbing) made me wish for the Italian soundtrack.

There's a review on the site here, maybe you should check it out.

DefJeff
08-28-2001, 08:57 PM
i love this movie -- id recommend getting it .. the murders are awesome and it keeps you wondering who the killer is up until the end. I also found it cool how the killer alway plays with the box cutter blade (but thats probly just me). Only minor complaint may be the story is a little lame -- but hey, its definitally worth seeing, plus, the Anchor Bay disc looks very nice... and has a cool, but short, little interview.

Jeff

Jason25
08-30-2001, 04:57 PM
I loved this film, very enjoyable. I would definitely suggest you check it out. I can't understand why so many people dislike Lamberto Bava, I think he made quite a few excellent films.

EVIL-SINNER
08-31-2001, 06:47 AM
if you like lamberto bava(who is great) then yes i think it's a good movie. try half.com to get cheaper than $20.00.

pagemaster7
09-03-2001, 09:18 AM
DeepDiscountDvd has Blade In tHe Dark for $17.99 shipped(They are ussually fairly low priced on Anchor Bay titles).