PDA

View Full Version : Deadly Spawn

MrKateB
11-10-2004, 08:03 PM
Just picked up my copy of The Deadly Spawn (Return of the Aliens: The Deadly Spawn) from Synapse last night...Watched all the special features and the movie w/commentary track...All I can say is "WOW"!

I have fond memories of this film from my early teen years back during the onset of the 80's, during my full-on gore fan period. I was constantly in video stores, searching for the latest and greatest, as well as looking for older gems that I hadn't discovered. I saw a lot of crap during those days, but found a few great ones. This movie was definitely one of the great ones, providing me with a lot of shocks, a lot of gross-outs, and some surprisingly effective scenes.

I'd like to post my take on the dvd, full-review style, after the weekend when I've had a chance to watch the movie sans commentary, and bone up on the sorts of details people like to know when reading a proper review, but lemme just say now that if anyone is a fan of this film, you won't be disappointed.

I was frankly shocked to see how much material they were able to assemble for a film of this type. Despite the involvement of the Hildebrandts (well known and respected artists pre-Deadly Spawn), I would have never dreamed they would unearth the amount of stills, behind the scenes materials, and even ACTOR AUDITION footage that they have managed to include...

Synapse is obviously a company that I will need to become more familiar with, the few titles I already own from them are impressive, and Deadly Spawn is definitely right up there.

More to come after the weekend, I hope my first review on this forum will meet with approval.

speanroc
11-11-2004, 04:44 AM
one of the best horror films of all time

thrashard76
11-11-2004, 05:20 AM
I need to get this. Thanks for the quick review.

Katatonia
11-11-2004, 05:56 AM
I just got this one in the mail the other day from DDD. Still need to watch the DVD, I haven't seen this one since the 80's probably.

dwatts
11-11-2004, 12:44 PM
I just added this to my wish list and will put it on my next order. I know it's not a well made film, but you gotta love sci-fi from this era. This, NightBeast, and Track of the MoonBeast would make a great threesome.

walkingdude
11-11-2004, 02:19 PM
You convinced me.Just bought a copy on Ebay for 14.99.

MrKateB
11-11-2004, 07:37 PM
I'm glad that I could be convincing. This is such a great film (despite it's faults) and I REALLY think fans will be ecstatic. I know I was. Yet another fine example of what the DVD format should be about.

Full review as promised after the weekend.

Midnight Buddha
11-14-2004, 02:53 PM
I`ve got the uncut vipco dvd, wouldn`t mind picking this release up at one point though.

eric_angelus
11-14-2004, 08:11 PM
This movie rocks! I never got to see it in theaters when it came out...saw it for the first time when I rented it back in 1991 or so. I had no idea until I saw the photo gallery how popular this movie was in its day. I knew it had a strong cult following, but never realized it was a pretty big hit in theaters when originally released.

Cannibal_Zombie
12-11-2004, 01:54 AM
i can`t find this title anywere in toronto,i`ll have to order it online

walkingdude
12-11-2004, 01:59 AM
i can`t find this title anywere in toronto,i`ll have to order it onlineI got mine on ebay brand new for 14.99 US.It was worth it.Had some funny moments.

Katatonia
03-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Wow, there's now a website: http://www.deadlyspawn.net/ :evil:

dwatts
03-23-2005, 12:37 AM
--MrKateB--

So how's about that full review?