PDA

View Full Version : Which early Cronenberg film would you like to see remade?

rhett
11-21-2004, 06:35 PM
With rumors of a SCANNERS remake circulating the internet, the demand for Cronenberg's earlier films will no dbout increase. Considering the penchant for remakes in the industry right now, it seems like only a matter of time before some of Cronenberg's other early films will be remade. If you had to choose, which remake would you want to see most?

Morg
11-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Shivers. Because the rest cannot be bettered, IMO. I think Shivers is a great story, albeit simple, that could be a great remake under the right direction.

fceurich39
11-21-2004, 06:42 PM
i love rabid i think with after 28 days later turned out i think rabid remake would be awesome and alot better than 28 days later

John Gargo
11-21-2004, 06:47 PM
That question is basically asking me which one of those Cronenberg films I like the least and wouldn't mind to see remade. I love them all, but my vote went to SCANNERS because compared to those other films, I think it has the "least" Cronenberg feel to it, which would dull the impact of seeing Hollywood tear it to shreds. Coincidentally, I believe it's also the most successful of those films (it opened number 1 at the box office I believe). In any case, the other ones are fine the way they are and, as Morg said, they simply can't be improved upon.

RyanPC
11-21-2004, 06:50 PM
As much as I hate remakes, Scanners is my least favorite of the films listed above so I voted for that.

onebyone
11-21-2004, 06:50 PM
There should really be a spot for, "None, back the hell off the Cronenberg films."

dwatts
11-21-2004, 06:55 PM
Yeah, I was looking for that option. I know this is just a game, but these types of things have a way of validating a polar view :)

rhett
11-21-2004, 07:14 PM
I thought it would be boring, since the majority would just pick "None". Remakes are an inevitability these days, so may as well play devil's advocate.

allmessedup
11-21-2004, 07:37 PM
I voted for VIDEODROME just because I think it could be the most interesting if done right. Remaking the other films really wouldn't add much--you wouldn't have to change the story a whole lot or anything like that. But a version of VIDEODROME that deals with today's technology might be worth doing. Despite the fact that it's the newest film out of the five in the poll, VIDEODROME seems the most dated because its themes hinge on "new" technology that has since become obsolete or at the very least, lost its novelty. There's potential to do more than just retell an old story with today's effects, which is really all you could do with the other four films.

eric_angelus
11-22-2004, 06:39 AM
I voted for Scanners simply because it was the one I liked the least of all of them. I have always thought it was a bit flawed...not that I dislike it or anything...but I feel if you have to do a remake it should be of something that at least has room for improvement.

KamuiX
11-22-2004, 08:22 AM
None...Cronenberg is an artist above all else, and any of his original films re-made would just be a shell of the original.

napalm68
11-22-2004, 09:42 AM
Fucken none of them. And that not being an option, I got to see that damn poll flashing every time I come here until you change it... Sigh... :(

lethalkrs
11-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Here's an idea. Why don't they come up with new stories instead of remaking everything. And why is the big trend for horror films, you don't see anyone wanting to remake Gone With the Wind or Casablanca type films.

allmessedup
11-23-2004, 03:30 AM
Horror movies are cheaper to make, take less time, don't need name actors....

Criswell
11-23-2004, 04:59 AM
Tell you what.......looking at that list reminds you of how lucky he was to be making these films at the start of the Video Era. I would think just about every video shop in the Western world had at least 4 of those titles at some stage. I can still mentally see the cover for Rabid in soooo many small mom and pop corner stores.

Criswell
11-23-2004, 05:05 AM
Tell you what.......looking at that list reminds you of how lucky he was to be making these films at the start of the Video Era. I would think just about every video shop in the Western world had at least 4 of those titles at some stage. I can still mentally see the cover for Rabid in soooo many small mom and pop corner stores.

The_Tunneler
11-25-2004, 12:38 AM
Come on people. The Brood would be so fuckin kool as a remake. U know how weird those little kids could look? Fine. You've forced me to do it. I remake it! You happy?!

"nothing matters, around this flesh"- Hocico

H0MOSareGAY
11-25-2004, 05:31 AM
Here's an idea. Why don't they come up with new stories instead of remaking everything. And why is the big trend for horror films, you don't see anyone wanting to remake Gone With the Wind or Casablanca type films.
Ocean's 11, Alfie, and Rat Race (Which didn't go by the same name as mad mad mad mad world, but was admitted to be a remake by people involved) are just a couple I can think of outside the horror genre. Tom Hanks recently starred in a remake (can't remember the name of the movie).

As far as Cronenberg, many of his titles simply wouldn't work as remakes. Videodrome would have to be changed severely to remake because the entire thing is based on technologies that are considered on their way out. Any major Hollywood studio would also throw out his social commentary as well as the film's sexual nature (OOOHHH, sex, bad). The resulting movie could not be recognized as videodrome. Rabid just seemed like the movie that could most easily be made into a "fun" movie.

Myron Breck
11-25-2004, 05:42 AM

Back when "Bennifer" was still a daily source of nausea, it was actually said that they were looking to remake CASABLANCA with Ben and Jennifer as the leads!!!! I almost wish it had happened, I can't get my mind around how terrible/hysterical it owuld have turned out. And Pamela Anderson already remade it with herself as Bogart in BARB-WIRE. :banana:

fceurich39
11-26-2004, 02:11 AM
the original brood was cronenbergs worst movie so i think that one desperately needs to be remade

Rock
12-14-2004, 06:09 PM
A fresh remake of RABID could be the American version of 28 DAYS LATER, if done right.

MrVess
12-15-2004, 11:20 PM
I don't see the choice "Remaking films should be punished by castration", for which I would vote.

tobaccoman
12-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Do I have to vote or must I shoot myself!!!!!!!

speanroc
12-16-2004, 03:00 PM
although i'm not a cronenberg fan at all, i think his films r very well made , so i don't think they should touch them.........

MrKateB
12-16-2004, 05:44 PM
hee HEE, HOMOS... "Videodrome would have to be changed severely to remake because the entire thing is based on technologies that are considered on their way out."...

I could just see it now...Some losers are all into a vcr they picked up on top of a garbage heap....thrown there by someone who's fully upgraded to dvd...the woman still dresses like Debbie Harry (Blondie) did 20 years ago, and the guy is a mulleted version of James Woods...and they're all into this "strange new machine" and it's eroticness...gettin' it on....with their broken vcr....at the dump...