PDA

View Full Version : Eraserhead

kyouki
11-22-2004, 02:54 PM
I've always wanted to see this film mostly due to its notoriety, but had forgotten about it completely when I started to lose interest in DVDs. A short while ago I got back into that DVD mood and went online searching for Eraserhead. I found that you can order an official and remastered version from www.davidlynch.com but the cost was somewhat prohibitive especially considering I had no idea if I would even like the film.

So, a few Ebay searches later, I purchased a region 0 version for around $12. I expected the worst in terms of quality but figured I should at least be able to see what was going on!

The first shock I experienced when I watched the DVD was that it was in widescreen! I expected a cheap transfer from a full frame VHS but was pleasantly suprised to see otherwise! Judging but the Japanese subtitles (that cannot be turned off), I think this is a transfer from the Japanese laserdisc.

Quality is fair. The sound is good enough so that you can tell what's being said (though there were times when I had trouble hearing the actors and had to rely on the subtitles). The video quality gets the job done but is washed out, blurry, and the contrast is terrible with smoky gray shadows and pale whites.

Still, much better than I expected, and it's certainly worth the price.

As for the film...

It's a difficult film and I don't think I would go so far as to say I "enjoyed" it. However, it was a great film and I'm happy that I finally was able to see it. It's the kind of movie to watch over and over to see things you missed before and try to figure out what Lynch meant with this scene or that line of dialogue. Lynch works expertly with the low budget by restraining himself, working within his limits, and focusing on the characters and a few set pieces.

The acting is fine all around, with Jack Nance nailing his performance perfectly. Watching the movie does give you the slightly creepy feeling that you are watching someone else's nightmare unfolding; Nance plays the part perfectly of a man, Henry, in the midst of a terrible nightmare... he seems like he realizes that he doesn't quite fit in... that the things that are happening to him are ridiculous and bizarre and couldn't possibly be happening. But he accepts them and deals with them until the nightmare stops.

The absolute best scenes, in my opinion, are the scenes that directly show his acceptance of the nightmare. My favorite scene is the movie is a quiet scene where Henry is tries to leave his apartment but can't due to his child crying. He walks over the the mutant baby, looks at it with a look of pity and love, sits next to it, and pets its head. It's a touching scene.

As for the movie being on "Top N Disturbing Films" lists... I don't see it. It's not that disturbing, though the final scene with the baby is a little out there. I expected to have nightmares after seeing the movie, but now that I have seen it, it's not like that at all.

A great movie, and certainly worth picking up. I intend to ask for the official David Lynch version for Christmas from my wife. :)

Deus Ex Machina
11-22-2004, 04:31 PM
the copy from Davidlynch.com is gorgeous...he went frame by frame and cleaned every single speck of dirt off the negative.

kyouki
11-22-2004, 04:49 PM
I've heard about that... I'm very interested in getting the official version soon. As I said, I may ask for it as a Christmas present. I'm also interested in seeing the bonus footage of David Lynch talking about making the movie.

Deus Ex Machina
11-22-2004, 05:06 PM
it literally just him talking in front of a microphone with bit of on set beta footage shown here and there...

...oh yeah and Catherine Coulson speaks via speakerphone.

John Gargo
11-22-2004, 05:08 PM
You've got to hand it to Mel Brooks for not writing off Lynch as a wack-job when he first saw this... You know, most producers would dismiss such an uncommercial and unaccessible film as being too "weird" and too "out there" to entrust it's maker to helm a major motion picture but Brooks saw behind all that, recognized Lynch's genius, and eventually chose him as the director of THE ELEPHANT MAN.

betterdan
11-22-2004, 05:23 PM
I have been wanting to see this movie for a long time and had no idea it was out on a nice anamorphic dvd. The price is kind of high but I think I might just get it. Here's a review I found for it http://www.lynchnet.com/eraserhead/dvdreview.html

Andrew
11-22-2004, 11:34 PM
This is indeed a really interesting film, but I still haven't had it totally click with me. There is a great essay here (http://www.geocities.com/~mikehartmann/papers/wolfe.html) that really helped me out with some of the symbolism.

Morg
11-23-2004, 12:05 AM
I have this one on my wish list, not too high though as i've been into a lot of Giallo's, in addition to the weekly releases I try to stay current with. I saw this years ago on VHS and really liked it. One day soon, though...

Cujo108
11-23-2004, 09:04 AM
Eraserhead is an amazing debut from an amazing filmmaker. The R1 from Lynch's site contains the most gorgeous, pristine black and white transfer I've had the pleasure of seeing, and I couldn't be happier with this set. It was more than worth the cash I spent on it. This is one of those films where I could care less about the cost.

Morg
11-23-2004, 03:22 PM
Remember, Lynch fans: December 7th, 2004, finally an R1 release of Wild at Heart. Edition Details:
Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. This DVD will probably NOT be viewable in other countries.) Read more about DVD formats.
Color, Closed-captioned, Widescreen
New transfer supervised by David Lynch, with upgraded picture and sound
Dell's Lunch Counter: all-new extended interviews with Nicolas Cage, Laura Dern, David Lynch, Willem Dafoe, Diane Ladd, and Sheryl Lee
"Love, Death, Elvis & Oz: The Making of Wild at Heart": new 30-minute documentary
"Specific Spontaneity: Focus on David Lynch": cast and crew comment on working with Lynch
"David Lynch on the DVD Process"
Original making-of featurette
Sailor & Lula image gallery: 65 behind-the-scenes photos, animated with music
Original theatrical trailer, TV spots
ASIN: B00062IVM6

Now we need a great R1 release of Lost Highway, please.

John Gargo
11-23-2004, 04:29 PM
Now we need a great R1 release of Lost Highway, please.
You can say that again...

Deus Ex Machina
11-23-2004, 06:41 PM
I think Lost Highway is next....Blue Velvet got an SE and now Wild at Heart has an SE..

...aside from Twin Peaks stuff Lost Highway is the next film after Wild at Heart

KamuiX
11-25-2004, 10:20 AM
One of the greatest films of all time from one of the greatest directors of all time (the best living today, IMO). ;)

Guyver99
11-25-2004, 11:47 AM
I'd agree. David Lynch is my favorite living director. My favorite of all-time is Hitchcock, though.

Pretty much every Lynch film is a masterpiece to me...okay, Dune excluded. Even Lynch said he sold out for that one. :D

I'm waiting and holding my breath for Lost Highway and Twin Peaks Season 2. I'll pretty much have everything else on region 1 once Wild at Heart is released in December.

Ash28M
04-24-2005, 07:32 PM
I finally got a chance to watch Eraserhead this weekend. I guess I would be describe it as a very surreal, strange and oddly wonderful nightmare. I enjoyed it. Couldn't tell you what it was about though as Im not even sure there was a plot. Which I guess is in the same vein as many of Linch's films. The print on the DVD is perfect. If anyone in Canada wants a chance to rent it, zip.ca was good enough to pick up a few copies after I requested it.

adric
04-24-2005, 07:46 PM
since you have seen it now, you should definatly read the essay posted above. it really helped me understand a way of looking at it after i saw it

Ash28M
04-24-2005, 08:33 PM
since you have seen it now, you should definatly read the essay posted above. it really helped me understand a way of looking at it after i saw it

Thanks I'll do that.

KR~!
04-24-2005, 10:31 PM
They also have a Box Set version for sell : http://ecomm.davidlynch.com/catalog/boxset.php

X-human
04-25-2005, 06:35 AM
I just saw it last night, fantastic film. I was amazed by how much I enjoyed it, I had put it off thinking it wouldn't live up to my expectations as few "experimental" films do but this surpased my expectations by leaps and bounds. I'm amazed by how complete and whole it is. Every frame of that film seems meticulously designed. The photography is especially stunning, a perfect pitch rarely seen in indie films of any era.

It's too bad I've waited so long to see it, I've know of it's existance for over a decade but I never ventured to see it. I almost feel as if I've wasted those years of my life by not having seen this. :D

BTW, the OAR is unmatted full frame. [EDIT: My bad, it is in fact 1.85:1]

Criswell
04-28-2005, 12:40 PM
Great film, but widescreen???

Nope. I saw the original screenings and it's not.

Same with Pink Flamingos.........why do they feel the need to pretend??

Ash28M
04-28-2005, 01:25 PM
Great film, but widescreen???

Nope. I saw the original screenings and it's not.

Same with Pink Flamingos.........why do they feel the need to pretend??

Since Linch put so much work into this DVD and it's presented in Widescreen. I'm thinking that's the way he likes it shown.

KR~!
04-28-2005, 02:50 PM
I hope a less expensive version is released soon, maybe without the fancy packinging.

MartinD1
04-28-2005, 03:45 PM
Eraserhead has always been to me just a nightmare, a bad dream, that's it.

Ash28M
04-28-2005, 03:57 PM
Eraserhead has always been to me just a nightmare, a bad dream, that's it.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

X-human
05-07-2005, 03:14 AM
Sorry, I was very much mistaken. It is an OAR of 1.85:1 and that is what the official David Lynch DVD is. (Anamorphic too)

tobaccoman
06-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Looks as if this dvd will be given a wider release soon. I still wants it desperately, so if I do happen to see it, I probably won't be able to turn it down. Hopefully the price drops a bit now....here's a link (http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/index.php?Show=4042&Template=newsfull)

dwatts
06-08-2005, 05:04 AM
The only reason I never bought this was the price, wonder what this retail will cost?

Spacevis
06-08-2005, 07:23 AM
it also says you get the short films as a bonus disc

if this is true and the price is right then I'm definitely picking this one up.

Ash28M
06-08-2005, 02:16 PM
If the price is right. I'll definitly pick it up.

KR~!
06-08-2005, 05:59 PM
If the price is right. I'll definitly pick it up.

Same here

X-human
06-09-2005, 05:18 AM
Searching the site I don't think the shorts are a bonus disc, although you can purchase both in a box set.

Spacevis
06-09-2005, 08:23 AM
Retailers can order the film, which is being offered along with the bonus disc "The Short Films of David Lynch," now.

they better not be lying to us :mad:

dwatts
11-19-2006, 11:55 PM
Watched this last night. Disapointed.

--As for the movie being on "Top N Disturbing Films" lists... I don't see it. It's not that disturbing--

Damn right. Lynch has bettered the film himself since, and as such, this film doesn't seem all that odd. Still, I'm a fan of Begotten, which really beats out Eraserhead on the "Weird" front by quite a few miles :D

I wouldn't call myself a huge Lynch fan, I like his work though - just not a huge fan. Eraserhead plods along with an overly exagerated running time, and it never truly gets frigthening, disturbing, or anything much really. I found the entire experience quite difficult to get through due to boredom to be honest. It didn't engage any of my sense - not even curiosity.

Still, some frames as really nice, the black and white photography has its moments, and the sound was good at times. After a steady dose of horror flicks, and watching imagery in films such as Silent Hill, Eraserhead is pretty worn out in many ways.

Of course, historically it's important. However, I feel that this is the type of film mainstream audiences see and hail as "weird", "strange" and whatnot. While genre fans will watch it and pretty pretty much unaffected.

I won't revisit this any time soon.

_pi_
11-20-2006, 12:57 AM
I think I admire it more than like it. It's impossible for me to watch it without taking into account that a) Lynch pretty much did this film on his own for several years, so his tenacity alone is admirable, and b) this is the film that introduced Lynch to the industry, and thusly cannot be ignored. So, as dwatts says, it's historically important.

And like dwatts, I'm not the biggest fan of the film and I don't suppose I'll be watching it a lot.

RyanPC
11-20-2006, 07:21 AM
I didn't like Eraserhead much at all. It was extremely disappointing given its reputation. I haven't seen many of his films, but I am not a Lynch fan. The only one I've liked so far has been Blue Velvet.

Ash28M
11-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Watched this last night. Disapointed.

--As for the movie being on "Top N Disturbing Films" lists... I don't see it. It's not that disturbing--

Damn right. Lynch has bettered the film himself since, and as such, this film doesn't seem all that odd. Still, I'm a fan of Begotten, which really beats out Eraserhead on the "Weird" front by quite a few miles :D

I wouldn't call myself a huge Lynch fan, I like his work though - just not a huge fan. Eraserhead plods along with an overly exagerated running time, and it never truly gets frigthening, disturbing, or anything much really. I found the entire experience quite difficult to get through due to boredom to be honest. It didn't engage any of my sense - not even curiosity.

Still, some frames as really nice, the black and white photography has its moments, and the sound was good at times. After a steady dose of horror flicks, and watching imagery in films such as Silent Hill, Eraserhead is pretty worn out in many ways.

Of course, historically it's important. However, I feel that this is the type of film mainstream audiences see and hail as "weird", "strange" and whatnot. While genre fans will watch it and pretty pretty much unaffected.

I won't revisit this any time soon.

You should give this essay on eraserhead a read. It gave me a whole new perspective on the film.

http://www.geocities.com/~mikehartmann/papers/wolfe.html

MorallySound
11-20-2006, 05:00 PM
You should give this essay on eraserhead a read. It gave me a whole new perspective on the film.

http://www.geocities.com/~mikehartmann/papers/wolfe.html

Very interesting essay. Eraserhead is also very personal film for Lynch because he became a father at 21, before he made the movie.