PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Modern Horror Director?

rhett
12-05-2004, 06:25 PM
This question has been asked before, but it is a fun one. Who do you think has been the best of all the modern horror directors? Many have stumbled, but which one rises to the top when the dust settles?

Bobbywoodhogan
12-05-2004, 07:00 PM
John Carpenter without a doubt.

hell ya!
12-05-2004, 07:22 PM
In order

Dario Argento
George A. Romero
David Cronenberg

Evil Dead Guy
12-05-2004, 07:34 PM
Dario Argento ( I just love this guy ) , with John Carpenter in second and George A. Romero in third .

Damage
12-05-2004, 09:13 PM
From the list of names provided, I chose David Cronenberg. Although I've loved many of the other director's efforts, they've also had a few stinkers in their lot. Cronenberg has consistantly put out great work with his own, creepy flair.

John Gargo
12-06-2004, 04:41 AM
I chose Cronenberg, but it could have easily been Argento, Romero or Carpenter.

Jason25
12-06-2004, 05:00 AM
Fulci, hands down.

Cronenberg would be my second pick followed by Carpenter.

Again, this is all based off this list only, not how I feel based off expanded choices.

Deaddevilman
12-06-2004, 05:23 AM
Modern? All these guys were at their peaks 20 years ago. Not one of them have made a decent movie in 10 years.

onebyone
12-06-2004, 05:31 AM
David Cronenberg, easy.

Although DDM does have a point, at least about them not being all that modern....

Cujo108
12-06-2004, 06:58 AM
Cronenberg of course.

dwatts
12-06-2004, 07:22 AM
Well, it was close - but I went with Cronenberg. It's close because I also very much enjoy Argento.

Cronenberg wins though because, to me, he's the only one listed who is still exciting TODAY. John Carpenter has gone to crapville, I don't know if he'll be back. He talks as though he's a Hollywood maverick, but really, nothing he's made lately could not have been within the system. So he's just denying himself financing (if they care one iouta about him now, that is). Wes Craven the same - he makes popular movies, but he's just sold out if you ask me. Nothing he's doing is going to mature the genre any further, or test it.

Romero, as you all know, is for me, so totally overrated as to not be funny. He made some good zombie flicks, and the rest vary from crap to mediocre. I don't find his work at all compelling. I'll watch the next dead film - but to be honest, if I'd only seen his dead films, I wouldn't be any worse off.

Fulci is dead. In my never to be humble opinion, he doesn't belong on this list, since he's gone. The others are truly "modern" in my eyes, since they're still trying. In his later years the industry just fell apart around him for various reasons, and his films begun to stink. It truly saddens me that Argento seems to be going the same route - with diminishing budgets and less marketing. Shame shame shame.

Cronenberg though - he's always a delight. He's not made a bad film in 20 years - and of course, he made Crash, which is one of my favorite movies. I'm eager to follow Cronenberg into whatever he wants to do - he's not disapointed me yet.

KamuiX
12-06-2004, 07:36 AM
This is a tough call, between Dario Argento and David Cronenberg. Now don't get me wrong, for PURE directorial talent, Cronenberg takes the cake. On my overall all time favorite directors list, Cronenberg would be above Argento (Cronenberg's in my top 5). But as PURE horror goes, I gotta say Argento, just because it's all he does (minus, what? 2 films?). Cronenberg has definitely done enough horror films in his time to be considered among the elite in horror directors, but when it comes to my favorite PURE horror director, it's Argento. Hope that makes some sense, because trust me, Cronenberg's one of the greatest things since sliced bread ;)

PMcG_6
12-06-2004, 06:13 PM
I went with Carpenter even though he hasn't made anything good in a while.

I was expecting newer directors like Eli Roth or something like that when I saw "Modern".

John Gargo
12-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Romero, as you all know, is for me, so totally overrated as to not be funny. He made some good zombie flicks, and the rest vary from crap to mediocre. I don't find his work at all compelling. I'll watch the next dead film - but to be honest, if I'd only seen his dead films, I wouldn't be any worse off.
You should put that in your signature to save yourself the trouble of having to re-type it every couple of days... :p

I personally think he's one of the genre's best directors... he hasn't made a film that I didn't like.

fceurich39
12-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Modern? All these guys were at their peaks 20 years ago. Not one of them have made a decent movie in 10 years.
i voted for wes craven
and the comment well some of it is true john carpenter last good movie in
1995 in the mouth of madness and what about 1998 vampires

wes craven did new nightmare in 1994 and saved the horror genre in 1996 with scream

walkingdude
12-06-2004, 07:22 PM
i voted for wes craven

wes craven did new nightmare in 1994 and saved the horror genre in 1996 with screamNew Nightmare sucked and Scream spawned a slew of copycats and 2 horrible sequels.
Although I love movies from all these directors I easily chose Cronenberg.His early movies are all among my favorites.

Workshed
12-06-2004, 07:29 PM
New Nightmare sucked and Scream spawned a slew of copycats and 2 horrible sequels.

Agreed, although I enjoyed the original Scream. I went with Romero.

John Gargo
12-06-2004, 07:31 PM
NEW NIGHTMARE is spectacular... I'm surprised to hear people didn't like it. Third best in the series after the first two.

walkingdude
12-06-2004, 07:53 PM
NEW NIGHTMARE is spectacular... I'm surprised to hear people didn't like it. Third best in the series after the first two.The last two times I tried to watch the Nightmare box set I watched up to part 3,looked around the room at stuff while part 4 was on and made it no further.Part 5 has always been tough to sit through and as many times as I have sat through it I can't remember hardly anything about it.New Nightmare seemed too long and dull.

Bobbywoodhogan
12-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Wes Craven's New Nightmare is a good film all the Scream films were just pure shite.

Deaddevilman
12-06-2004, 09:39 PM
I went with Carpenter even though he hasn't made anything good in a while.

I was expecting newer directors like Eli Roth or something like that when I saw "Modern".

Exactly. The current list is full of people who were at their prime in the late 70's early 80's. Someone needs to rename this poll... Who's been a has been the longest? Romero of course!

Lucio Romero
12-06-2004, 10:38 PM
Hey Everyone,

I went with George because I honestly believe he is one of the great visionaries of our time. Anyone who has created IMO the greatest horror movie of all time ( Dawn ) and two others in the top 10 ( Night & Day ) can hardly be called overated. The fact that Tarantino, Scorsese and Stephen King all admire George's work is proof of that.

Besides, this a favorite poll not a " Who is the Best " poll. I would have put the master Fulci second and Cronenberg third.

LUCIO !!!!!!

---------------------------------- :evil: ----------------------------------

Grease Guy : Four pounds of grease...that comes to 63 cents.
Homer : Woo Hoo.
Bart : Dad, all that bacon cost 27 dollars.
Homer : Yeah, but your mom payed for that.
Bart : But doesn't she get her money from you.
Homer : And I get my money from grease, what's the problem.

Dark Lord
12-06-2004, 10:40 PM
I'll post my support for Wes Craven's New Nightmare. The first time I saw it, I was blown away. It's a brilliant film.

walkingdude
12-06-2004, 10:46 PM
I'll post my support for Wes Craven's New Nightmare. The first time I saw it, I was blown away. It's a brilliant film.I am really suprised at the amount of people who like this movie.I have really tried to like this one but I just don't find it hold my attention.This coming from a fan of Zeder.

allmessedup
12-06-2004, 10:46 PM
I voted for Romero just because he directed two of my all-time favorite horror films, but I had trouble picking...they've all had movies I've loved along with their share of stinkers.

Fulci is probably the most consistent in his way, but I don't like any of his stuff as much as the best work of the other directors.

eric_angelus
12-07-2004, 12:28 AM
I voted for Carpenter despite the fact that I have not liked most of his stuff after Prince of Darkness. Overall I think some of the others have more spotless track records. But Carpenter gave us Halloween, The Fog, The Thing, Assault, and several others that make Ghosts of Mars a bit easier to overook!

BloodMan
12-07-2004, 01:01 AM
Carpenter... his recent efforts were shit-tacular... but its all about the 80's. :)

thrashard76
12-07-2004, 06:00 AM
I'll go with Carpenter. I like more of his movies and watch them often.

Crystal Plumage
12-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Argento (who would've guessed? ;))

Anthropophagus
12-08-2004, 12:49 AM
Carpenter for sure-The Fog, Halloween, Christine-these are some of my all time favorites. Suspiria by Argento is awesome, but I have not really had the chance to check out much of his other stuff, I will eventually. Rabid and Shivers are great films, but the rest of Cronenberg's stuff does nothing for me. Craven was cool in his early days, I love Last House on the Left, Hills Have Eyes, Deadly Blessing, the original Nightmare on Elm Street but his recent films leave me cold. House By The Cemetery, The Beyond and Zombie are interesting Fulci films, but again I just could not get into his other stuff like Sweet House Of Horrors and New York Ripper (Lustig's Maniac was sooooo much better). Romero's Dead trilogy is great, ditto Creepshow, and his contribution to Two Evil Eyes.

Guyver99
12-08-2004, 06:30 AM
Since when is Fulci considered "modern?" Come on, the guy kicked the bucket ages ago.

old-boo-radley
12-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Fulci. Although I've not seen the more prestigious works of Argento (Tenebre, Deep Red, I have the two discs coming in the mail from DDD IF they ever arrive), I think it will be hard to top Fulci's top 4 of Zombie, House by the Cemetery, The Beyond and City of the Living Dead. New York Ripper is a pretty decent flick marred only by the quacking killer and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy Demonia more than I enjoyed a more mediocre Carpenter effort as in The Fog, or Argento's Opera or Craven's Serpent and the Rainbow for examples. This being said, I also haven't seen a lot of Fulci movies, including Lizard in a Woman's Skin which sounds to be a great, great giallo.

Only person I'd perhaps consider my favorite other than Fulci is Raimi as the ED trilogy is absolutely amazing.

Poelzig
12-08-2004, 09:01 AM
Argento,Cronenberg...New?????
i dont think Cronemberg is a horror director, of course he loves gore and flirt whith horror once and a while,but his movies are a sci-fi paranoia (fly,Scanners,videodrome...) or Weird Dramas (M.butterfly,Crash etc).
I dont Believe in "Genre" directors in the today scene (until somebody Reeeal good appear).
i Like what Del Toro done whith the Devilīs Backbone.
Spain,Japan and france are producting some good stuff.

thegreeninferno
12-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Had to vote for Cronenburg...the only one on the list who has consistently made good, interesting, intelligent films. 15 years ago, I may have said Carpenter, but he can have 2nd place for now. All of them have made definitive 'classic' horror films at some point in their respective careers, but at this point, Cronenburg is the only one whose recent(post-1990) films have been anything to get excited about.
Sad to say, but more recent horror directors either abandon their roots and dive into the mainstream like Sam Raimi and Peter Jackson. Well that is if you even consider their earlier films as horror...I think they're more like gory comedies, but I digress. Other newer directors I like have only a film or two to judge from so their talent needs to be further proven:
Brad Anderson(Session 9, the Machinist)
Higuchinsky(Uzumaki, Long Dream)
Lucky McGee(May)
Eli Roth(Cabin Fever)
Zack Snyder(Dawn of the Dead 2004)
Rob Zombie(House of 1000 Corpses)
Shimuzu Takashi(the Ju-On/Curse/Grudge films, mostly like the same film over and over again)
Kiyoshi Kurosawa(Kairo, Cure)

Then again, there's always directors like Uwe Boll and Paul W.S. Anderson who inspire me to seek out and discover new directors like some of the ones I've listed above. So special kudos to them! :eek2:

Sorry about the long rambling post :banana:

Ash28M
12-08-2004, 07:16 PM
I went with Argento. Even his most popular films are still underrated.

MrVess
12-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Even the rather disappointing recent entries from John Carpenter ("Ghosts of Mars"... cough... metal guitarists as "musicians"... cough... rappers as "actors"... kha...) are still infinitely superior to 90% of the drivel spewed out during the last few years (the imbecilic sequels, the remakes, the crossovers...). John Carpenter is still the crowned king, without the shadow of a doubt.

Severn
12-10-2004, 06:26 AM
All about Carpenter. :)

Criswell
12-10-2004, 12:07 PM
I voted Carpenter, but really I voted for the anticipation that another They Live ot The Thing is just around the corner.

Unfortunatly, he's only making crap like L.A and unfocused misses like Mars lately.

BoredSeal
12-11-2004, 03:15 PM
i voted for wes craven

I think Ghosts of Mars is also worth to mention. He probably didn't made anything cult in 90's, but he has lot of great genre hits on account anyway Worst JC movie must be that invisible Chevy Chase story.

choptop67
12-11-2004, 07:53 PM
I picked George A. Romero because he's in my opinion the best horror filmmaker alive today (still working). I know he has not done much in the last decade. And I know that some of his films were not considered "classics". I just feel that his overall body of work is very well done. His early years can not be topped by anyone in the choices we had to choose from.
My second choice would be John Carpenter. He's been hit or miss with his films, but for the most part I've enjoyed his work. Halloween and Escape From New York are his best. The Fog is pretty cool too.
Fulci had a couple good films (Zombi, The Beyond, Gates of Hell (COTLD), The Black Cat and House by the Cemetery. The rest were fair at best.
Argento lost his magic a while ago. His films have not been scary in many years.
And Craven...His best work is Hills Have Eyes and Last House On The Left. The Scream films were teen trash horror and his other work has been sub-par for the most part. He works a lot, but that doesn't mean it's good work.
And finally, Cronenberg went off the deep end years ago. His films have become so over the top as of late. His recent work screams "You be very smart to understand what I'm about and to follow me." I find most of his work since Dead Ringers very boring.
This is just my opinion on these filmmakers. Who am I anyway? To each their own.

Gothic Queen
12-13-2004, 03:18 PM
Romero all the way! But it is true that I love him best when he is working with Savini. The two are unstoppable and I think the new Dawn of the Dead is a testement to that.
Cronenberg is alright but I have been dissapointed before. Argento is much more artistic and that is something I hold with a lot of respect. As for Wes...I do love his films, but his New Nightmare was a snooze, for me personally. I have seen much better from him, but I think that film hurt his reputation.

Salty
12-13-2004, 05:01 PM
I went with Carpenter. Even though his last few films have not been up to his usual standard I feel that he has had a more productive run overall. Vampires and Ghosts of Mars are a hell of a lot more fun than many of the other directors lesser efforts (Vampire in Brooklyn, Monkey Shines, Cat o Nine Tails, Phantom of the Opera, Demonia, Manhattan Baby, etc.). I appreciate Cronenberg's films but I am not particularly entertained by them. I'm not even sure he should be in this poll but...OK. Just for the record...I dig New Nightmare.

allmessedup
12-13-2004, 07:43 PM
Carpenter has never really done it for me, other than HALLOWEEN and ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK. I've never even liked THE THING as much as other fans do. His movies are okay, but I don't like any of them as much as I do the best work of Romero, Fulci, and Cronenberg.

Rock
12-13-2004, 10:11 PM
Should've added Tobe Hooper to the list...he hasn't fallen any harder than some of the others...I picked Romero because he hasn't fallen as hard as the others, only because he rarely does anything anymore...