PDA

View Full Version : Schrader's Cut Exorcised from DVD

rhett
12-09-2004, 02:52 PM
The specs for the upcoming DVD of the troubled Exorcist: The Beginning have been announced. What is notable about this disc is not what is included, but what isn't being included. Paul Schrader, the director of the great Cat People and Hardcore, had originally created The Beginning as a cerebral and subtle meditation on faith and horror. Morgan Creek disliked the footage, deeming it not commercial enough, and reshot the film with hack-for-hire Renny Harlin. So essentially, two versions of the film exist, and it was much rumored that both would see release once it came time for DVD. Unfortunately, DVD Answers is reporting that the March 1 release of Exorcist: The Beginning will not feature the Schrader cut. Instead, it will be a relatively bare release, with the following features:

2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen
Dolby Digital 5.1
Commentary by Renny Harlin
Making-of featurette
Theatrical trailer

Retail on the disc will be a moderately high $27.95. Those lamenting the exclusion of the Schrader cut may find solace in knowing that there are plans to release the Schrader cut theatrically sometime in 2005, according to Fangoria.

Mok
12-09-2004, 02:58 PM
That's weak - they're most likely hoping to squeeze as much out of that cow as they can. That, or they're afraid people will prefer the Schrader cut over the one they put their faith in.

John Gargo
12-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Those lamenting the exclusion of the Schrader cut may find solace in knowing that there are plans to release the Schrader cut theatrically sometime in 2005, according to Fangoria.
I hope so, but somehow I get the feeling that Warner is going to let this version gather dust in their vaults. :(

indiephantom
12-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Something's up. Why did it take so long to get this a release date? They're flip flopping and it sucks.

vette163
12-09-2004, 05:18 PM
I'm sure their reasoning is that the general public are less likely to purchase a film that requires thought while viewing it.

MrKateB
12-09-2004, 05:19 PM
or maybe it's that both versions suck Regan's fetid asshole? :)

fceurich39
12-09-2004, 06:05 PM
This Movie Needs To Be Terminated

Peter Vincent
12-09-2004, 08:18 PM
I'm confident Schrader's version will hit DVD...or maybe even theatres if they market it right (remember House of 1K's trailer's..."The movie some didn't want U 2 C, isn't being released, its being unleashed!")

Agent Z
12-09-2004, 09:29 PM
http://aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=18962

KR~!
12-10-2004, 02:11 AM
What the fuck?

1st the idiot studio heads hated teh film so much that they actualy hired som worthless hack to re shoot the whole thing, which I belive was never done before and it of course bombs.

Now they are going to release the version they hated in theaters no less!

Crazy!

rhett
12-10-2004, 02:34 AM
What the fuck?

1st the idiot studio heads hated teh film so much that they actualy hired som worthless hack to re shoot the whole thing, which I belive was never done before and it of course bombs.

Now they are going to release the version they hated in theaters no less!

Crazy!
Two ways to mine the same well.

MrVess
12-10-2004, 04:46 AM
Fun scenario #37: Schrader's Beginning flops - not because it's bad (it's as far from being bad as possible), but because of the terrible Harlin odium; Warners are angry; Warners bring Renny Harlin, again, to reshoot Schrader's version, again.

To avoid carrying the Harlin stench, the Warners should rename Schrader's film. Preferably, simply restore the title "Exorcist: Dominion", or "The Exorcist 4.1".

But instead they'll probably hire WS Anderson and Uwe Boll to shoot a sequel to the prequel - "The Exorcist versus The Omen".

But so far, here is to the true prequel... :)

http://img115.exs.cx/img115/5337/apaulschraderpicture.png

napalm68
12-10-2004, 09:13 AM
I'm glad I'm on the horror dvd forums. I can say what I feel. Fuck those stupid greedy, evil-hosting-fucksticks

Oh, and their mother's might not suck cocks in hell, but the daughters of the warner execs probably do right now... :p

MrKateB
12-10-2004, 03:58 PM
Hee HEEEEEEEEE Napalm!

hatetank
12-12-2004, 02:30 PM
After all I might just add that probably both version are shite...

MartinD1
12-12-2004, 11:32 PM
These days it's better to live pretending, pretending these kind of movies were never made. Stick to the original and forget the rest.

patmcgahern
12-13-2004, 12:19 AM
Since when was Renny Harlin a hack for hire?
Had he not taken the job, who knows it may of been Uwe Boll or Paul WS Anderson who replaced Schrader, although some of you would love that prospect I'm sure, but luckily an accomplished director stepped in.

MrVess
12-13-2004, 02:41 AM
Since when was Renny Harlin a hack

Yes, I too agree that calling Harlin a hack is paying him too much of an undeserved compliment.

VideoViolence
12-13-2004, 07:32 AM
This is total bullshit. Why not just release both and let the public decide which they like better? Oh no, Warner couldn't do that, could they?..............

MrKateB
12-14-2004, 04:57 PM
Of COURSE they'll release both. Eventually...after they've sold enough copies of the one to make them happy, they'll put out a super duper nice deluxe disc, with both versions on it, and it will come packaged in a Ouija board shaped box with a little Regan McNeil beanie baby.

fceurich39
12-16-2004, 12:54 AM
warner bros is releasing it in the theaters again i wonder what the trailer will say or if they will say the alternate version of exorcist 4

patmcgahern
12-19-2004, 01:19 PM
Since when was Renny Harlin a hack

Yes, I too agree that calling Harlin a hack is paying him too much of an undeserved compliment.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:rolleyes:

frightfan
12-24-2004, 05:57 PM
they'll put out a super duper nice deluxe disc, with both versions on it, and it will come packaged in a Ouija board shaped box with a little Regan McNeil beanie baby.

Hilarious... and quite possible. The only thing that I think would be scarier than the original Exorcist film is a peek inside the marketing meetings at Warner. What brand of crack are these guys on, anyway?