PDA

View Full Version : Hammer Help

skinnypuppy6
09-01-2001, 02:01 AM
what should be the next Hammer disc i get? other than the dracula(scars,rites and prince o dark..,plague o th zombi's,blood from the mummys tomb mummys shroud and kiss o the vamp disc..i have them. so what disc should i get next next??

mutleyhyde
09-01-2001, 10:01 AM
RASPUTIN!!! :D
After that, I say...
The Devil Rides Out
Frankenstein Created Woman
The Reptile

Funktion
09-01-2001, 12:46 PM
Am I the only one to love "The Lost Continent"?

mutleyhyde
09-02-2001, 01:57 AM
Funky, one reply and you're whining about nobody mentioning Lost Continent already?? You reactionary! LOL ;) Yes, Lost Continent is a great flick, I just feel that the ones I mentioned more represent "Hammer Horror". If we're going for a "3 best" or "5 best", I just can't put it on my list.

Now go drown your sorrows! J/K :D

Funktion
09-02-2001, 02:07 AM
Mutleyhyde,

I was simply adding "The Lost Continent" to the options list.

By the way, shall I wait for 10 replies to "start whining"? There aren't 10 people in the Hammer section of the forum... :D
Just joking...

Things are pretty slow around here.
Do you know what happened to HammerFanatic? She disapeared from the forum. I hope everything's ok with her...

skinnypuppy6
09-02-2001, 03:10 AM
thanks for the recomendations ill pick a few of those up!:)

mutleyhyde
09-02-2001, 03:28 AM
Just playin' Funkster, really. As for HF, I'm not sure where she is. I know she's missed around here though.

betterdan
09-02-2001, 04:59 AM
Is Rasputin actually horror? The Suncoast in Va. Beach still has a lot of Rasputin, The lost continent, the reptile, Vengeance of she, prehistoric women,Viking queen and plague of the zombies. They also have some non hammer like tenderness of the wolves, fm, fitzcarraldo, ebony ivory and jade, ghost goes gear, out of the blue and zacharrian. All of these are $4.99. I already have reptile, lost continent and plague of the zombies. I started to get rasputin today but it didn't look exactly like horror. Are any of the others any good either? If anyone wants me to pick up some of these for trade for one of their dvds I'd be glad to. Let me know before they are all gone.

mutleyhyde
09-02-2001, 05:29 AM
Dan, Rasputin has one of, I think, Christopher Lee's best performances going for it. It does have some horrific moments, but no, it's not horror, as in goblins, ghosts, and werewolves. However, it does sport a limb-chopping, a face eating acid splash, unescapable hypnotic control, and one doozy of a finish. It also has rampant womanizing and excessive drinking. What more do you need?? :D

As for Prehistoric Women, hey, that's a great one. Scantilly clad blonde babes enslaved by scantilly clad brunette babes. Scantilly clad blonde babes have to dance ceremoniously for scantilly clad brunette babes while scantilly clad brunette babes feast on lavish spreads whist demeaning scantilly clad blonde babes. Scantilly clad Blonde babes get mad and rebel with the help of male, thankfully fully clad, outer-world interlopers. I'm tellin' ya, this one is well worth five bucks. It's a hoot!

Viking Queen and Vengeance of She are both very hard to watch. Viking Queen at least has great scenes of lush Ireland landscapes, and the costumes are cool if you dig costume epics. The story and dialog is very weak though. The story and dialogue in Vengeance doesn't even register. Both movies do have knockout leading ladies, so for five bucks, I say get 'em - just don't expect any cinematic marvel, like Dracula, Prince of Darkness, The Devil Rides Out, or, um, RASPUTIN! ;)

betterdan
09-02-2001, 09:20 AM
mutleyhyde that was some damn hilarious reviews. I think I might pick up Rasputin and skip the rest. Prehistoric babes sound sexy but I was looking for more horror oriented movies plus if I brought this home my girlfriend might permanently stop my dvd buying :D I just went to best buy tonight and got the howling. While I was there I saw a dvd of The Witches is that any good? Please give another short review almighty mutleyhyde I trust your views.

mutleyhyde
09-02-2001, 11:00 AM
Heh, now that I like! Probably shouldn't let it go to my head though... whoops! Too late. :D

Anyway, The Witches is great! The first time I watched this, I immediately was like, what the hell? as it stars an aging Joan Fontaine, getting a job in a small village as a teacher to forget her troubles experienced while doing research in booga-booga dark Africa. The locals weren't too fond of her, as she didn't dig all that witch-doctor hokum, and chased her out of town, all the while causing her to have a nervous breakdown. So, now it's a nice teaching job in a quaint English town for our Joan.

Okay, the first time I watched it, at this point, I just was not into it, as it wasn't classic goblins, ghosts, and werewolf horror, but wait, it did pick up. I won't tell any more, but will say that now I like the film a lot. It's really well done. You get lead into a false sense of security by the set up, and then it just gets creepy. There are some real nice scenes of the townspeople manipulating the situation and the innocents. Damn, I'm really saying too much. Give this one a chance Dan. I'm glad I did! Your chick may dig it too. Being a film about witches, it centers heavily around women. They are all very strong characters, and the film is really played from their point of view, and rightfully so. Check it out!

P.S., the young blonde is a babe! ;)

Funktion
09-02-2001, 06:09 PM
Hey guys, can anyone please help me?

I would like to pick some of those Anchor Bay dvds that are priced $4.99, but I live in Europe, so I was wondering if any of you could please pick the dvds that I want, and I would pay you (+ shipping + an amount for the trouble).

Each of the dvds you mentioned cost about $30 when shipped to Europe from an online store (most stores have these dvds for over $25...).

If you can help me please e-mail me to:

jc.bastos@mail.telepac.pt

mutleyhyde
09-03-2001, 01:30 AM
Titles Funky, titles.
Which ones do you need bud?

Funktion
09-03-2001, 01:57 AM
Well, I need a lot of titles (too much to mention; lots of Anchor Bay titles, not only Hammer movies). But for now, of these movies, which ones are at $4.99, and which can you get:

-The Abominable Snowman
-The Devil Rides Out
-Dracula Prince Of Darkness
-The Plague Of The Zombies
-Prehistoric Women
-The Reptile
-The Satanic Rites Of Dracula
-The Viking Queen
-The Legend Of The Seven Golden Vampires
-The Witches
-Tombs of the Blind Dead/Return of the Blind Dead

If you could get some (or all) of these movies, I would be extremely greatful.
I don't know if I can use Bidpay besides e-bay (I believe I can). If I can, you would have a money order in 24/48h...

Please let me know if you can help me out. Thanks.

Hammicus
09-04-2001, 02:17 AM
Hey, what's going on, I was the first to complain about not being able to get the AB Hammer DVD's for 4.99, now everyone's offering and asking for them?, see what happens when you don't check in every day.

If there is any kind souls out there, I'm looking for these -
Legend Of The 7 Golden Vampires
Plague Of Zombies
The Lost Continent
Quatermass 2
X The Unknown
Frankenstein Created Women
Shroud Of The Mummy
The Witches
Prehistoric Women
Viking Queen
The Square Triangle

Anyway, I'm willing to pay a reasonable price, or swap tapes for these DVD's, I have over 92 Hammer films, and about another 100 or so other British Horror/Sci fi films to trade from.

James
(Toronto)
jameswillis@sympatico.ca

MattBenn8
09-04-2001, 02:55 PM
If you're looking for the cheap Hammer releases go to ebay. They've got most of them that were available at Suncoast for between $7 and $10, american. Just don't bid more than ten bucks for them.

Just type 'Hammer dvd'. So far I've seen:
The Reptile
Lost Continent
Rasputin
Prehistoric Women
Plague of Zombies
Vengeance of She
Satanic Rites of Dracula
Viking Queen

All of the Suncoast video's I've been to recently have been out of the $4.99 'super buys', so this may be the last place to get them relatively cheap.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Hammicus
09-05-2001, 01:05 AM
Well Matt,

I took your advise and hit ebay, but I'm such an idiot, spotted a Plague Of the zombies "Buy It Now" for 10.99, still more than I wanted to pay for a film I had already on VHS, but what the hell. The idiot part is - I didn't spot the shipping cost until it was too late, 9.97 outside of the U.S. no exceptions, so $21 bucks in total, 32.00 Canadian, I could of bought it here at full price for a few bucks less.

Oh well poor me, boo, hoo.

James
The F@%cking idiot.

MattBenn8
09-05-2001, 06:18 PM
Jeez, James, I'm REALLY sorry about that!!! From now on I'll try to be less helpfull.

Matt

Hammicus
09-05-2001, 11:05 PM
Matt,

No worries mate, it's my own stupid fault, can't fault your suggestion. I gave the seller the sob story anyway, he's going to ship for $3 and change surface, it might take a week or two longer, but I'm in no hurry. It'll only be running me about $23 CND now, not bad. I still envy you guy's for having had the opportunity of walking in to the local mall and pick them up for 4.99.

James

skinnypuppy6
09-06-2001, 03:26 AM
i just picked up 7 hammer discs NEW+SEALED!! in one lot for 51.00 on EBAY wich i think is a pretty good deal since the media play here still sells them as well as every other A.B disc for 27.99--those greedy bastards and Best Buy does'nt stock the older titles17-19.99 if they did and there is not a Suncoast in GA. the titles i got were:1. Rasputin,2. The Reptile,3.Prehistoric Women,4.The Viking Queen ,5.Vengance Of She,6.The Lost Continent, and 7. Plague Of The Zombies(wich I already had,But Its New+Sealed so Im sure i can sell it! I'm happy to build up my Hammer Collection and looking forward to completing it one day!!!:) :)