PDA

View Full Version : Diamonds are Forever

rhett
12-24-2004, 06:46 PM
If you thought the first DVD edition of THE RING would be enough to last you a lifetime, think again. To conincide with the March 18 theatrical release of THE RING 2, DreamWorks will be releasing a two-disc re-issue of the first film. The way it looks now, it looks as if the first disc will remain the same, but a second disc in a new case (similar to the AMERICAN PIE) re-issues will be tagged on. Here is what will be included in the second disc:

Featurette covering both THE RING and RINGU
Preview for THE RING 2
Movie ticket for THE RING 2.

The set will come out on March 8th and will retail for $26.99. Thanks to Fangoria for the scoop.

Hellbilly
12-24-2004, 09:36 PM
blah. I was hoping for the rumored director's cut. I won't be double dipping this one.

Damage
12-24-2004, 09:49 PM
The free ticket is enough of a carrot for me since I don't have The Ring yet.

Grim
12-25-2004, 05:15 AM
Wasn't too impressed with the first release and would only double-dip if it was a director's cut, so no dice.

The movie ticket means diddly to me.

Myron Breck
12-25-2004, 05:40 AM
Yeah, no thanks. It's not anything more than the almost-barebones release I passed on last time. I'm sure a super special version will pop up when The Ring 2 hits DVD.

Anthropophagus
12-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Not interested in this one either, that second disc sounds like the biggest rip-off since the Pirates of the Carribean three disc set that came out this year. Greedy film studios!!

rxfiend
12-25-2004, 05:09 PM
i'll pick it up if i can find it under $20. i never did buy the first release.

dwatts
12-25-2004, 05:15 PM
Not much to do but echo the majority view here. How lame is this? It is clear from the current disc that another version is going to hit at some point - the current version is quite lame. I thought it would be more than this, though.

Since you can buy the first release secondhand for little money (at least in the stores I've checked), buying this would be a real waste. They're going to have to work much harder of they want the cash from my pocket on this one.

John Gargo
12-25-2004, 09:14 PM
I've never really been able to watch the remake ever since I saw the original... I'll skip this release and pluck down my money for a movie ticket to the second film instead.

Katatonia
12-25-2004, 09:34 PM
I'm really not interested in it. A movie ticket and a featurette just aren't enough to make me want to buy it again, especially at $26.99 retail.

VideoViolence
12-28-2004, 06:09 AM
That's the only thing different about it? Fuck that shit. You've gotta be on crack to double dip for this one.

deadnextdoor
12-28-2004, 09:47 PM
I'm so tired of double-dipping. I just am not going to do it anymore. From now on, I'm just going to wait until a "Collector's Edition" or "Special Edition is released, and am not going to purchase a movie when it is first released, unless it is one I absolutely must have when it is first released.

dwatts
12-28-2004, 10:11 PM
There has been a bit of change, hasn't there. We went into a phase where first releases were quite good, but now we seem to have moved into one where lacklustre releases for some major films are the norm. We know something special is coming down the road, but I guess alarge number of people will go for bare bones titles.

I bought the remake as well as the original - I bought mine from Hollywood video I think, an ex-rental. Those who have not seen it, and have the original, arn't missing much, to be honest.

deadnextdoor
12-29-2004, 12:27 AM
I think dwatts is correct. It seems that companies have learned that they can now release a movie with very little effort or extras, and still make enough money that satisfies them. It is the consumer that is going to have to put a stop to this by not purchasing initial bare-bone releases. As long as consumers purchase this cheaper product, it is not going to change. However, it is the consumer that is hurt by this procedure, because in the big scheme of things, I don't think the companies really care as long as they make enough money on any certain release.

cryptorchid
01-02-2005, 10:28 PM
The only way I'd buy this dvd is if it came with a handwritten apology for how awful the movie was, that would be worth the money since the movie sucked(in my opinion).