PDA

View Full Version : Merry X-Mas! What do you want for 2005?

Dave
12-25-2004, 11:58 PM
Merry Christmas to all of our readers. 2004 was a great year for the site. We implemented a new portal design and we're slowly bringing the site back to full speed again. I want to thank all of the readers, reviewers, studios, and advertisers that gave us their support in 2004. In particular, I want to thank Rhett for jumping in and really helping to keep the site going. Not only has he pumped out some great reviews on a steady basis, he's kept up with the news and polls sections as well. Thanks, Rhett!

Rhett has posted a Christmas Day treat for all our readers. Be sure to read his review for Anchor Bay's Silent Night Deadly Night 1/2 double feature DVD (http://www.horrordvds.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewreview&id=269).

To start off the new year, I'd like to get some ideas on where the readers would like to see the site go. Due to my lack of time to contribute as much to the site as I did years back, my thought with the portal and hoster move was to make the site more community oriented. I want YOU the readers to decide the future of the site. How I'm going to implement something like that remains to be seen, but that is what this discussion is for.

One thought I had was to put up a voting system (i.e. polls) for readers to vote on various aspects of the site. For example, would readers want MORE reviews that may not be quite up to our current standards? Or should we simply try to slowly add more reviewers that meet our current high standards? Less reviews with higher quality? Or more reviews with not so high quality? And that type of question isn't a knock to those that have submitted reviews in the past. It's just that it's hard to reach the quality level of some of our current reviewers, especially when you consider the job doesn't pay squat!

Perhaps we could put up a separate review section in the main area of the site for reader reviews?

Perhaps we could have readers submit a review and then have the members VOTE whether or not it should be posted on the site? The person with the most successfully submitted reviews each month could get a prize, such as a gift certificate to an online DVD store (off the top of my head, I'd estimate around $30-$40 dollars for the certificate).

That's just one thought. I'd like to take the site a step further and have people start writing horror related articles for the site. Maybe you want to bitch about the current state of mainstream horror movies? Or bitch about the abundance of remakes? Continuing from my previous thought, we could have readers vote on articles to be posted. The person with the most successfully submitted articles each month gets a gift certificate.

That's really just the beginning of my community oriented site ideas. Lets take it a step further. Maybe you're a small company releasing your own horror DVD. Or maybe you're trying to get a petition for a particular movie to be released on DVD. What about having your own little web site hosted here on Horrordvds.com? For free! It could be something like http://monstersquad.horrordvds.com or even your own domain, such as http://www.monstersquadondvd.com. The only requirement would be a small banner at the top of the page indicating that the site is hosted by Horrordvds.com. Of course, I wouldn't just give out sites to anyone that asked. You would have to submit a request with the details, and build the base layout of the site first. That way we can know you're serious about it.

More DVD reviews is a given, but we need to decide which method is best in doing that. I think putting up some gift certificates is a good way to get some high quality reviews for the site. Same with articles.

The site has a limited budget each month. I could see purchasing around $50-60 worth of gift certificates each month to give away. That is doable. But what about taking it a step further? What about offering members a 'Premium Membership' if they become a Subscriber. Subscribers could get some perks, such as their own horrordvds.com email account (POP and web mail accessible - plus spam filtered on the server), their own www space, access to a 'Members Only' forum section (talk dirt about non-members!), a free Horrordvds.com t-shirt, and whatever other goodies we could come up with. With the extra money we raise, we put it back towards the site to up the ante for gift certificates and what not. Price for subscribers? I don't know. I'm just throwing out an idea.

Where do you guys want to see the site go? What new features would you like to see? Or what existing features would you like to see more of? I want the site to be more community oriented. Want to see a new forum section? Put it up for a vote! If the community votes for it, it's in!

In the next month I'll be working on getting the remaining reviews back online and putting some more hacks on the forum. The next big hack to be loaded is a feedback system for the 'For Sale/Trade' forum. It will all be automated, meaning no more manual work for myself! That's a huge plus since I have little time to update the Good Traders thread these days. Yes, everyone should be able to keep their current feedback ratings, including those that haven't yet been added in due to my not updating the list.

None of this is being implemented just yet. I'm just thinking out loud here. Talk to me. Give me your thoughts and comments.

thrashard76
12-26-2004, 03:56 AM
I don't like the idea of subscribing to the site or having a premium package because I love the site fully open just the way it is and I don't want to have limits because I didn't opt for the package deal.

Contests are always fun and getting a little something like a DVD or even a CD soundtrack would be a neat way to help promote the site and its contests (see the Arcade Contest). I don't think it has to be extravagant, no more than $15 per prize I'd say.

Reviews: New content is essential for a website because it shows growth and change. I think reviews by forum members of, say a certain post count (example: members of post count #3000 or more), should be included along with the already regular reviews from the mods. They have to make sense and not just be a bunch of rambling or incoherent thoughts and the formula of doing a review could be varied. By that I mean that some people may feel limited or restricted to the standard blueprint of writing a review. Besides, its much more fun and randomized to read different members takes on movies. The idea of voting and awarding people a prize is nice but should be limited to a quarterly event and the prize should be no higher than $30 worth. Prizes could include a horrordvds t-shirt, a DVD, a movie poster, a movie action figure (combinations of these) or something like that. Also, an individual rating system per review would be a good implement to add to new and old reviews to give people an idea of how well that specific review was received by others who read it (like on Amazon).

Horror related articles: The same applies to this as the reviews rant from above but I think every six months a vote could be held for this and a prize of no more than $15 could be had.

Music: I want to say once again that a music section should be included into the forum. As a part of the Miscellaneous section, a Music forum could be used for not only fans of albums from bands, but soundtracks, music related DVDs and other music related content like current events of the day. Also, members should be able to submit their own reviews and articles on any and all music related content. The same rules could apply to this section as well. Reviews get voted on a quarterly basis for a prize no higher than $30 and articles get voted on every six months for a prize no higher than $15 worth.

Arcade: Starting next year I think it would be a good idea to add 12 new games, one at the start of each month (other games may also be added on a regular basis but not for the contests) where the forum members must compete against each other to get the highest score. The member that has the highest score by the end of the month wins that contest for that particular game. A prize of $15 worth would be good for this contest. There can't be multiple game winners for that year. Once a member wins a game contest for that month they are unable to win another game month. This helps spread out the prizes and gives others a chance to win. Winners can play the later contest games but if they achieve another high score they will simply be skipped for the next highest score for that months game.

I think a Horrordvds store would be a nice touch. T-shirts (in black or white from S-XX) with the HorrorDVDs logo and mascot on the front pocket area of the shirt and a large picture of something else on the back would be a nice thing to have in the store as well as a cap with the HorrorDVDs logo on it. Also, horror posters and other collectibles like comics, action figures and Halloween masks could be added to the store.

An official HorrorDVDs web radio station would also be a nice touch where members can listen to the station as they read the reviews and forum posts. Music could include original soundtrack scores, movie bits, one liners, and band songs that were incorporated in movies. A direct link should be added to the top bar for this where the Aracde link is located.

Lyle Horowitz
12-26-2004, 06:30 AM
It's late, but I have a lot of ideas. First off, I would love to do some reviewing. Most of my online reviews can be found on http://www.eccentric-cinema.com (and I also write for my school's newspaper). Dave, PM me if you're interested in adding a reviewer. Personally, I don't agree with Thrashard's criteria for DVD reviews. I think quality reviews over quanity posts. There are many members with over 3000 posts who could write less reviews than even some with 300 posts.

I really like the idea of articles and op-ed peices.

Perhaps we should have a section on the frontpage with a wishlist of films we want on DVD? (Horror/Cult only, of course)

More contests are always good, as are additions to the arcade.

Perhaps we should have themes every month? Eccentric Cinema this month has a giallo theme, where they link to all of their giallo reviews. So maybe starting in '04 we should start monthly themes - i.e. Universal Horror, Hammer Horror, Giallo, Silent Horror, Slashers, etc.

I'm about to go to bed, but I'll when I get more ideas I will post 'em.

Luna
12-26-2004, 06:43 AM
Not a fan of the idea of paying for content, but I would also love to see a music section here.

betterdan
12-26-2004, 06:53 AM
I do not like the "premium" member idea. I would also like a better up to date and bigger coming soon list. I mostly use this site for entertainment and to find out what dvds are coming out. I have to admit I don't read many of the reviews at all.

Dave
12-26-2004, 10:45 AM
The premium member idea is a thought, but I think more funds would be helpful to bring the site to the next level. What would be offered to subscribers would be items that wouldn't normally be available to regular members. I wouldn't offer a web mail account or free web space to all members; it would be too overwhelming. All regular site content would remain free.

walkingdude
12-26-2004, 01:23 PM
The automated for sale/trade feedback list is an excellent idea.It would be nice to find a way to get more people intrested in trading and selling on the site.In my short time here I have found my buying and trading experiences way better than Ebay.

The pay package idea may not be a good because it may divide up the forum members and make some that can't afford it feel alienated.

Jimbo
12-26-2004, 04:34 PM
I would love to see a data base were there would be info on genre Actors/actresses/Directors with bio's,List's of movies they have been in,Whats availiable (all region) on dvd etc..

I am also for the Themes idea.That would be fun.

A Petition page is esential in my view.Here at least we would have a voice to show companies we want our horror.And we all know there are plenty of movies we would love to see on the dvd format that have yet to surface.

A Genre Studio info related link would also be nice.Such as Blue Underground/Synapse/AB /Mondo macabro etc.. Were we could talk about there releases and with hope that the company's there selves would chime in from time to time with info and future plans etc.

And also,What ever happened to the guest's?Last one i remember was i think a guest from Anchor Bay (i might be wrong).But if we can have, a special guest maybe every few months, that would be cool.

All in all,I just want to see more input from the genre fan to the people/company's who deliver these goods to us.