PDA

View Full Version : Which site addition would you like to see most?

rhett
12-26-2004, 05:48 PM
With every coming new year comes a new set of resolutions. Dave announced on the main page our intent to make some big changes to the forum this year to make it more interactive and enjoyable. So out of all the proposed ideas, which one strikes you as the best one?

RichardHaines
12-26-2004, 05:59 PM
Perhaps a venue where fans could discuss the theatrical experience of seeing a horror film vs. it's DVD release, not only for the extras on the latter but for the difference in impact of theatrical and home viewings.

betterdan
12-26-2004, 06:02 PM
I want a better upcoming list dammit so I'm not voting. :mad:
I do come here to get info on upcoming horror dvds afterall. I figured that would be a given but I guess not. :(

fceurich39
12-26-2004, 06:08 PM
I Think More Reviews

Lyle Horowitz
12-26-2004, 06:08 PM
Horror articles for me.

Damage
12-26-2004, 06:15 PM
What drew me to HorrorDVDs initially were the excellent reviews. Keep `em coming and bring back the old reviews as well.

walkingdude
12-26-2004, 06:19 PM
Automated trading system

Crystal Plumage
12-26-2004, 07:47 PM
What drew me to HorrorDVDs initially were the excellent reviews. Keep `em coming and bring back the old reviews as well.
Ye olde reviews:http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/all.shtml

Crystal Plumage
12-26-2004, 07:48 PM
Oh and I voted more reviews....

Surnom
12-26-2004, 08:09 PM
More review - I too came here at first for the excellent reviews!

dwatts
12-26-2004, 08:59 PM
I'd like to see a couple of those. More reviewers would be great (that way you'd get more reviews, and hopefully they'd have a different take). Also, some horror articles. I'd also like to see the same film reviewed by more than one person - to get a different view.

Horror articles should include in-depth information and views of films, outside of the review format.

onebyone
12-27-2004, 12:46 AM
I voted for more reviews, but what I meant was more timely reviews.

thrashard76
12-27-2004, 01:22 AM
Here is how I'd rank these from best to worst:

1. Music forum - I voted for this. A reviews, articles and forum section should be made also.
2. More reviews - The site should always have new reviews for the most current releases.
3. More contests - They're fun and help promote the site. Prizes should be more varied than just DVDs and the monetary values shouldn't be extremely high as so that more contests can be had.
4. Horror articles - Additional news and personal perspectives on this subject is always a welcome addition to this site and a music articles section shouldn't be neglected.
5. New reviewers - New blood and new opinions are welcome because reading one person's thoughts on a movie is just one look at what could be a better or worse media release.
6. HorrorDVDs.com clothing - Something new to the site, a store of sorts could help bring in some money to the site where clothing and other collectibles could be offered for purchasing.
7. Website/Email hosting - A nice touch for upstarts and small busineses.
8. Petition section - Could be a nice feature but ultimately not a real worth while one.
9. Automated trading system - To some this is a great feature but to me not as appealing. This will rank higher for others than for me.
10. Subscriber benefits - This is the worst idea in my opinion. If the demand for this is high then yes it should be included but I don't like this idea.

Unlisted: An official HorrorDVDs web radio station would also be a nice touch where members can listen to the station as they read the reviews and forum posts. Music could include original soundtrack scores, movie bits, one liners, and band songs that were incorporated in movies. A direct link should be added to the top bar for this where the Aracde link is located.

I'd rate this at 6th, between New reviewers and HorrorDVDs clothing.

Grim
12-27-2004, 05:07 AM
More reviews is what I picked. Most of the other stuff just seemed like needless fluff to me.

BloodMan
12-27-2004, 05:12 AM
I put More Reviews but there should definitely be some contests... like every month. :) :)

betterdan
12-27-2004, 05:13 AM
I would also like to add that I would like to have the java chat working again. Some members would like to take part in chat but cannot because of this. They don't want to use mirc either so the java chat is easiest.

dwatts
12-27-2004, 05:41 AM
I'd hope that any new reviews don't just concentrate on new releases. There are so many DVD's that are out there already that are worthy. One of the problems with the reviews, to me, is that they are of new things coming out - but I can get reviews of them in a 100 different places.

Worst on that list, to me, was a music forum. I also skip those pages in Rue Morgue magazine :)

thrashard76
12-27-2004, 05:51 AM
Do you skip the game news bits in Rue Morgue too Dwatts? Seems very odd that a gaming feature would make it on a horror site like this BEFORE a music feature....just saying. It's looooong overdue.

Nemesis
12-27-2004, 05:53 AM
I agree with dwatt's first post. I voted for more reviewers but what i'd really like to see is more reviews and new reviewers to give a different perspective..

two of the things that drew me to this website intiailly were the great and extensive list of reviews (with a great layout) and the upcoming dvd list (although i can understand that keeping this updated is a *LOT* of work).. i also think that the reviewer's top 20 picks is also a good idea to draw in new people. People love being told what to watch/given ideas :)

zombee
12-27-2004, 06:01 AM
more reviews.

Luna
12-27-2004, 06:23 AM
I'd vote for both more reviews and the music forum for starters. Of course, I'm a music nut, so this could be one reason. :D

In general, it all sounds pretty sweet to me.

dwatts
12-27-2004, 06:30 AM
--Do you skip the game news bits in Rue Morgue too Dwatts? Seems very odd that a gaming feature would make it on a horror site like this BEFORE a music feature....just saying. It's looooong overdue.--

Sure do. I buy Rue Morgue for its coverage of horror movies and horror dvds. Not for music and games. I have other specialized sites for those. I am sure Dave will do whatever he sees fit, so my opinion doesn't count for anything. Just a view. I have zero interest in a music forum - I wasn't aware there was a games one, or are you tlaking about the "Arcade"? If so, that's a very different thing, you get to PLAY the games - not discuss them. I love music, but I seriously doubt anyone here is into the same types of things. I suspect it will be full of heavy metal and classic rock - things I don't find that interesting these days (the heavy metal angle is pretty funny actually, as it supports a stereotype that doesn't apply to me).

Just my view. :) Rue Morgue is great, but yeah, some of the sections are incredibly lame, imo.

thrashard76
12-27-2004, 06:50 AM
Yeah I was referring to the Arcade section.

As far as a music section goes, I don't think it would be full of heavy metal and R'n'R cuz there are people here who don't like that stuff but do like others like R&B, gangster rap, industrial, goth, movie scores, country, and pop music. So it would be a more specialized section apart from the other off topic threads and movie related sections. As far as playing games being something different, the whole idea of an official HorrorDVDs web radio link would be to allow forum users a direct link to hear horror movie themed music as they scrolled the many posts and reviews that would be forthcoming.

dwatts
12-27-2004, 07:05 AM
I have no feelings about a radio link - I seriously doubt I would use that either. I have all the Internet radio I need, thank you. But if you want it, you can vote for it :)

--others like R&B, gangster rap, industrial, goth, movie scores, country, and pop music--

Okay okay - I like SOME music scores. As for the rest, I think I'd prefer Heavy metal :D Really, seems a few want a music forum, so maybe Dave will add one. It's just not something that I feel would improve the site. it would all muddy the forum list with yet another off-topic forum. Maybe Dave could then group the non-horrorDVD topics?

If I were Dave, I'd be thinking of ways of making it the best horror movie site on the net - which wouldn't include diversifying it. There are too many other sites that do these things better. More reviews, more reviewers with different points of view, more articles on movies would vastly improve the core compentency of the site, imo. To me, this is a horror DVD site (hence the URL). So it should concentrate in those areas. Just my opinion is all. I hope you all get what you want.

betterdan
12-27-2004, 07:11 AM
Thrash that internet radio thing sounds interesting. Would you have to have music rights or anything to play them on a station? I have no idea, so sorry if it is a stupid question. Also how hard would it be to set it up and keep it running?

dwatts
12-27-2004, 07:13 AM
It would be far better, I would think, to simply link to streamed radio. I listen to it every single day, but it's not the type of thing anyone here would likely be interested in (I like news, drama etc). They're usually streamed from the web sites of the radio station, so I expect there is a license issue.

betterdan
12-27-2004, 07:18 AM
I listen to Vince Garcia's Super 70s internet radio station too but I would be interested in a horror movie themed station. I would definately listen to it.

thrashard76
12-27-2004, 07:22 AM
Well I'm sure someone here may already have something like this set up where they would let Dave use their station link here on the site. If not, Dave could always get on to Yahoo Launchcast or Live365 where they allow the user to modify what the station plays by the way of the user voting the selections to be played. Then after finally getting the radio station streamlined for specific content he could add the link to the top of HorrorDVDs forum bar where other members could check out the station themselves. Maybe offer up suggestions to the radio station to further better it and better round out songs that may have been forgotten or not weeded out enough.

Look at my homepage for reference.

betterdan
12-27-2004, 07:25 AM
I like the idea, sounds fun :)

betterdan
12-27-2004, 07:34 AM
Look at my homepage for reference.

I know McChrists page is Cultstitch so is yours End Records?
Edit: Nevermind I'm an idiot :(

thrashard76
12-27-2004, 08:00 AM
Naw, mine is a Launchcast radio site tailored to what I like heavy metal and other stuff.

atann
12-27-2004, 08:08 PM
More reviews please. They are always laid out well with the pictures and box shots. More please.

allmessedup
12-27-2004, 08:27 PM
More reviews, more reviewers, and horror articles. Stick with what brought people here in the first place.

betterdan
12-27-2004, 08:51 PM
Stick with what brought people here in the first place.
Well in that case they should post more pics of Rhett in his underwear. Come on people you know that is the biggest reason you joined. :)

old-boo-radley
12-28-2004, 10:31 AM
For me, I'd enjoy reviews, especially on Shriek Show titles. They have so many titles I'm curious of but haven't been able to track down a decent review.